Thread: Just finishing up an 89 IROC-Z project

LS2.com's Airbrush Junkie dagwood's Avatar

vCash

Just finishing up an 89 IROC-Z project

I bought this car back in November. It's a 1989 IROC-Z, 5.7 TPI, and 66k miles. It looked pretty shitty on the outside when I bought it. It's originally a blue/gold car, but when I bought it, some dipshit had painted it black. I completely disassembled the body, and took it down to bare metal. I went back to the factory blue. I'm almost completely finished with the car. I still have to install the new carpet, and it's getting new exhaust next week. There was ZERO rust on this thing, so it was a great car to fix up. Here's how it turned out....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17898174468642122865.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	594.4 KB 
ID:	35128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59817183625647435395.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	610.3 KB 
ID:	35127  
    Last edited by dagwood; 04-07-2021 at 10:29 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GearheadSS
    I don't think I've ever seen a blue one with gold. I like it. Black with gold is my dream IROC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a blue one with gold. I like it. Black with gold is my dream IROC.
    This is the only blue/gold IROC I've seen in person. And I've only seen pics of a handful of other ones. It evidently wasn't a very popular color combo.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    This is the only blue/gold IROC I've seen in person. And I've only seen pics of a handful of other ones. It evidently wasn't a very popular color combo.
    I'd ROCk it....

Seriously though. You gonna sell it? Eventually, I want to get a 2nd gen Trans Am or a 3rd gen IROC as another toy.

vCash
    Sweet. I always loved those 3rd Gen IROCs

vCash
    I'd ROCk it....

Seriously though. You gonna sell it? Eventually, I want to get a 2nd gen Trans Am or a 3rd gen IROC as another toy.
    I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it. My 21 year old daughter is absolutely in love with this thing, lol

vCash
    I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it. My 21 year old daughter is absolutely in love with this thing, lol
    Give it to her, she will keep it forever. The car her dad restored and gave to her.

Losing my father turned my old Camaro into gold for me. It was the car that we spent so much time on together, now that he's gone no one will offer me enough to give that car up.

vCash
    She'll wreck it in within a year or two. Dont do it!

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Good friend of mine had a Burgandy and Gold 89'.
    383 with a Mini ram. Was damn stout back in 97'ish.

He totaled it in a street race. Damn near killed him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    She'll wreck it in within a year or two. Dont do it!
    She can get an Accord that will be just as fast or faster.

Super Moderator

vCash
    Very cool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: savantard
    Give it to her, she will keep it forever. The car her dad restored and gave to her.

Losing my father turned my old Camaro into gold for me. It was the car that we spent so much time on together, now that he's gone no one will offer me enough to give that car up.
    Exact story as me with my C3

vCash
    Looks good man. Need to get it some '85-'87 wheels now.

vCash
    If it was an '87 however... there'd be no way an Accord could keep up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    Looks good man. Need to get it some '85-'87 wheels now.
    Thanks bud!

I actually have a set of 85-87 IROC wheels, gold paint, that have been polished and fully restored. I had them on this car for a while when I was restoring these wheels. My OCD won't allow me to have the wrong year wheels on it, though

Last edited by dagwood; 04-07-2021 at 06:28 PM.

vCash
    If it was an '87 however... there'd be no way an Accord could keep up.
    I should have said a "new Accord". I was comparing the IROC to a new Accord, and the
    1989 IROC-Z was rated at 230HP, the quickest Accord is rated at 252. The weight of a new Accord isn't significaantly heavier than the IROC-Z.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I should have said a "new Accord". I was comparing the IROC to a new Accord, and the
    1989 IROC-Z was rated at 230HP, the quickest Accord is rated at 252. The weight of a new Accord isn't significaantly heavier than the IROC-Z.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Thanks bud!

I actually have a set of 85-87 IROC wheels, gold paint, that have been polished and fully restored. I had them on this car for a while when I was restoring these wheels. My OCD won't allow me to have the wrong year wheels on it, though

Good man.

vCash
    Yeah I was still groggy.

vCash
    Here's a better pic of the finish

vCash
    I bought this one the end of January. It's gonna get the same treatment. This one is a 1987, 5.7 car, every option but leather and rear defrost. I bought it from a 76 year old lady who parked it in 1998 when the fuel pump crapped out. The car has 84k miles and is SOLID. No rips or tears or anything on the inside. Great project car

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I bought this one the end of January. It's gonna get the same treatment. This one is a 1987, 5.7 car, every option but leather and rear defrost. I bought it from a 76 year old lady who parked it in 1998 when the fuel pump crapped out. The car has 84k miles and is SOLID. No rips or tears or anything on the inside. Great project car

That is the one I would want. That's pretty my dream IROC. That or a yellow one. Had a buddy in HS that had one very similar except that it did have leather and rear defrost. I think it was ordered with every option. I was very jealous of that car.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 04-08-2021 at 04:14 PM.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Do you find all these in rural Iowa FB marketplace or something?

vCash
    Nice patina on that black one!

vCash
    My store manager in HS drove a bright red 3rd gen IROC. Man that car looked good.

Registered Member

vCash
    wow, the 89 really came up great!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda6pak View Post
    Do you find all these in rural Iowa FB marketplace or something?
    That's exactly where I found the 89. I bought it immediately after he listed it. $1,500

The 87 was a word of mouth deal. It wasn't listed for sale. I heard about the car 3 years ago, and didn't get the exact location until January. I drove out to the place on a gravel road, and knocked on the door of a house that I swore was abandoned. Then an old woman came to the door and I asked if she would sell the car. She told me how she parked it 20 years ago because the fuel pump had gone out, and said how there had been a million people stop over the years to try to buy the car. She said it was gorgeous when she parked it...the paint was perfect. I told her that I enjoy fixing them up and I would love to get the chance to restore it. And....she sold it to me. Once again, $1,500

I had a guy stop by the body shop last week, and told me of a yellow IROC sitting in a shed just 3 miles from town, that his cousin bought new and she died like 10 years ago. He said her husband has zero interest in it and has been sitting since before she even died. I'm supposed to be checking that car out soon...

vCash
    Gamer IDs

That's exactly where I found the 89. I bought it immediately after he listed it. $1,500

The 87 was a word of mouth deal. It wasn't listed for sale. I heard about the car 3 years ago, and didn't get the exact location until January. I drove out to the place on a gravel road, and knocked on the door of a house that I swore was abandoned. Then an old woman came to the door and I asked if she would sell the car. She told me how she parked it 20 years ago because the fuel pump had gone out, and said how there had been a million people stop over the years to try to buy the car. She said it was gorgeous when she parked it...the paint was perfect. I told her that I enjoy fixing them up and I would love to get the chance to restore it. And....she sold it to me. Once again, $1,500

I had a guy stop by the body shop last week, and told me of a yellow IROC sitting in a shed just 3 miles from town, that his cousin bought new and she died like 10 years ago. He said her husband has zero interest in it and has been sitting since before she even died. I'm supposed to be checking that car out soon...

Are you gonna paint the 87? If so, will you please let me know before you sell it? Hell, even if you don't do anything to it, let me know if you wanna sell it.

vCash
    Are you gonna paint the 87? If so, will you please let me know before you sell it? Hell, even if you don't do anything to it, let me know if you wanna sell it.

I was planning on giving it the same treatment as the 89, but wasn't going to do anything right away. I wanted to check out the yellow car, first, anyways. If I decide to sell it, I will definitely let you know. I have more in the car right now after paying for a car trailer to use, and a payloader to remove a bunch of snow and pull it out from where it was parked.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I was planning on giving it the same treatment as the 89, but wasn't going to do anything right away. I wanted to check out the yellow car, first, anyways. If I decide to sell it, I will definitely let you know. I have more in the car right now after paying for a car trailer to use, and a payloader to remove a bunch of snow and pull it out from where it was parked.
    Understood. I'm not ready to buy right now anyway. I probably need to wait until we close on our house in June but I would seriously love an IROC project.

vCash
    Thanks bud!

Haha I get it. I just love those wheels, the best wheel available on a 3rd gen IMO. I had them on my Firebird. lol

vCash
    Yeah the '89 is just typical 80's V8 power, but the EPA wouldn't allow GM to actually rate the '87 IROC according to it's dyno sheet because they wouldn't accept infinity as a power figure.

vCash
    Yeah the '89 is just typical 80's V8 power, but the EPA wouldn't allow GM to actually rate the '87 IROC according to it's dyno sheet because they wouldn't accept infinity as a power figure.

vCash
    I do like that blue on the OP car. Buddy of mine had one exact same color. They look good in person

vCash
    Take that yellow one and restore it to just how it looked when it was sitting on some showroom floor.

But...

Swap in the LT4 and a T56 with the appropriate chassis upgrades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I do like that blue on the OP car. Buddy of mine had one exact same color. They look good in person
    I had a '92 RS in that color. Still my favorite color on a Camaro by far. Mine looked exactly like this: http://www.mcsmk8.com/92-B4C-CAMARO/92-B4C-CAMARO.html

I miss that car and wish I still had it. Hell, I'd rather have that over my 02 SS I had.

Brought back Ninja Edit

vCash
    Take that yellow one and restore it to just how it looked when it was sitting on some showroom floor.

But...

Had it. It's not enough Need to strip mine down all the way and give it the same treatment as OP, except I'm going Gen5 LT4
    Last edited by Tristan; 04-12-2021 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Had it. It's not enough Need to strip mine down all the way and give it the same treatment as OP, except I'm going Gen5 LT4

I meant the Gen 5 LT4, not the Gen 2 LT4 from the 90s.

vCash
    This is 100% TRUE.

I asked one of my buddies from Milwaukee a couple months ago if he felt the Earth make a sudden shift to the North. He was like WTF??? No? Why??

I said I was taking the IROC for a test drive...and I had turned South on a blacktop road and shit canned it. I thought he would have felt that for sure over in Wisconsin

vCash

But...

Man I'd absolutely LOVE to do that!

vCash
    Man I'd absolutely LOVE to do that!
    Or just go full retard and just send it like DSE did with their 3rd gen.

The only thing I would change is I want the factory stock seats and steering wheel too. I love care that look factory correct or close to it but are a completely different animal underneath.

vCash
    Or just go full retard and just send it like DSE did with their 3rd gen.

The only thing I would change is I want the factory stock seats and steering wheel too. I love care that look factory correct or close to it but are a completely different animal underneath.
    I sold my MINT 45k mile, 1990, G92, 230hp TPI 305, 5 speed IROC-Z (1 of 295 built) last spring to a 71 year old guy from Ohio that was going to do a conversion like that to it. He had a brand new LS7 (I think), 6 speed transmission, 9 bolt Ford rear end, full DSE suspension, subframe connectors, etc. Anyways, he was starting with the subframe connectors, and the car started on fire on his hoist, and the car was a total loss. He collected the insurance money, bought the car back, and then bought a 26k mile 1989 to do the conversion to. Here's a few before and after pics...

The car was the July 2019 Car Of The Month winner on thirdgen.org

Last edited by dagwood; 04-13-2021 at 09:14 AM.

vCash
    This is 100% TRUE.

I asked one of my buddies from Milwaukee a couple months ago if he felt the Earth make a sudden shift to the North. He was like WTF??? No? Why??

I said I was taking the IROC for a test drive...and I had turned South on a blacktop road and shit canned it. I thought he would have felt that for sure over in Wisconsin
    lol

Make sure you pop a valve cover to confirm authenticity, that's where they hide the tag that says "built by Chuck Norris".

vCash
    I sold my MINT 45k mile, 1990, G92, 230hp TPI 305, 5 speed IROC-Z (1 of 295 built) last spring to a 71 year old guy from Ohio that was going to do a conversion like that to it. He had a brand new LS7 (I think), 6 speed transmission, 9 bolt Ford rear end, full DSE suspension, subframe connectors, etc. Anyways, he was starting with the subframe connectors, and the car started on fire on his hoist, and the car was a total loss. He collected the insurance money, bought the car back, and then bought a 26k mile 1989 to do the conversion to. Here's a few before and after pics...

Did Mike Hawk wire the speakers in that one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Did Mike Hawk wire the speakers in that one?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Jesus. Some cars deserve not to be fucked with and imo, that's one of those cars.

vCash
    Jesus. Some cars deserve not to be fucked with and imo, that's one of those cars.
    I am with you 100%.

He told me the 26k mile 1989 he replaced it with (I'd have to double check the text messages.....actually I think it is 24k miles), anyways, he said that car isn't near as nice as my 45k mile car was. That thing was phenomenal.

Brought back Ninja Edit

vCash
    Wow, what a shame. This is really making me want to get mine into the shop
    Last edited by Tristan; 04-23-2021 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Wow, what a shame. This is really making me want to get mine into the shop
    What does yours need?

vCash

Damn

vCash
    What does yours need?
    LS Swap with double eBay turbos, 2 sp Powerglide, Detroit Locker, some 4.56 gears and a drag Chute.

vCash
    And maybe some better shocks.

vCash
    And maybe some better shocks.
    I'd put on a set of Gabriel Striders, and take it straight to Mecum's.