Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 222

Thread: What vehicle to buy?

  1. #1
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25

    What vehicle to buy?

    Gonna get one relatively soon and not sure what I want. I've been all over the place from a Tesla to a SCed F150. Need direction.

    And preemptive to the Idareu suggestions.

    Open to new or used. Would go as high as $50k for the right vehicle I guess. Haven't really thought about price much, but don't wanna go over that on this car.

  2. #2
    Registered Member Black96lt1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    G'vlle,SC
    Posts
    17,578
    vCash
    2261
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gameskin
    All the cool kids are getting C5s these days. Is it your daily or toy?

  3. #3
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    All the cool kids are getting C5s these days. Is it your daily or toy?
    Will be both. Ideally it would be fast and comfortable. I don't really care about gas mileage, so a bad assed C5 would not be completely out of the question. Though not sure it is comfortable.

  4. #4
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91,398
    vCash
    50
    You still in Hawaii and if yes will you be there for a considerable amount of time?

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,789
    vCash
    25
    M550
    Scat Pack
    Factory Five Cobra

  6. #6
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    You still in Hawaii and if yes will you be there for a considerable amount of time?
    Nope, in MD again.

  7. #7
    Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sussex, WI
    Posts
    33,203
    vCash
    8170
    GT350 with a long warranty.

  8. #8
    Registered Member Black96lt1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    G'vlle,SC
    Posts
    17,578
    vCash
    2261
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gameskin
    s5 would be cool

    *with warranty

  9. #9
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    GT350 with a long warranty.
    Actually one of the cars I've considered. They having issues?

  10. #10
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    s5 would be cool

    *with warranty
    Another I've considered. Not sure on Audi reliability long term, never owned one.

  11. #11
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91,398
    vCash
    50
    Reg cab F150 shortbed. Order it through Lebanon Ford and get it with the supercharged V8

  12. #12
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Reg cab F150 shortbed. Order it through Lebanon Ford and get it with the supercharged V8
    I've been talking to them. They won't come off sticker price for the F150s right now, so they can EAD. And they don't have the reg cab 4x4, would have to order it. They haven't come up with a 2021 price for the SCed packages yet.

  13. #13
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Decent price on this one, but I am completely ignorant on the GT350s and that FPC motor.

    https://www.carmax.com/car/19563147

  14. #14
    Registered Member BurnEm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Da Island
    Posts
    5,915
    vCash
    37
    If I had 50k to blow on a car atm I'd be looking at a used model S awd since your in MD
    Last edited by BurnEm; 03-05-2021 at 08:07 AM.

  15. #15
    R.I.P PCED: 6-28-2020 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44,401
    vCash
    31500
    Back from Hawaii? That sucks. Get tired of it or back for a job?

  16. #16
    Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sussex, WI
    Posts
    33,203
    vCash
    8170
    Quote Originally Posted by 426HEMI View Post
    Actually one of the cars I've considered. They having issues?
    Yea their engines seem to like to break themselves. Random link about the issue

    https://mycarvoice.com/defect-invest...ngine-failure/

    Seems quite common from what I've seen.

  17. #17
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    180,453
    vCash
    25
    Guessing you left the little M car over in Hawaii? That was a sweet lookin' ride.

  18. #18
    Registered Member MiLLs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    941
    Posts
    11,480
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    Yea their engines seem to like to break themselves. Random link about the issue

    https://mycarvoice.com/defect-invest...ngine-failure/

    Seems quite common from what I've seen.
    Daily driving a track purpose built car and not checking fluids. simple as that.

  19. #19
    Oops! EABiker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    11,522
    vCash
    500
    CTS-V

    Fast.......................................check
    comfortable............................check
    don't care about gas mileage....check

  20. #20
    Registered Member MiLLs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    941
    Posts
    11,480
    vCash
    500
    GTR's don't seem to be too bad, was looking as some last night. anywhere from 60-80k

  21. #21
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    180,453
    vCash
    25
    Chevy SS.

    Not my number 1 choice, but they sure are nice cars and would make an awesome DD.



    My personal preference would be w/ a 6-speed, though I realize I'm in the minority here... especially for a DD.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 03-05-2021 at 05:31 PM.

  22. #22
    Registered Member MiLLs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    941
    Posts
    11,480
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Chevy SS.

    Not my number 1 choice, but they sure are nice cars and would make an awesome DD.



    My personal preference would be w/ a 6-speed, though I realize I'm in the minority here... especially for a DD.
    couple in my neighborhood have a white one w/ exhaust everytime i see it.

  23. #23
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Newfield NJ
    Posts
    14,032
    vCash
    990
    good to see you back here Hemi. and on the East coast too.

  24. #24
    R.I.P PCED: 6-28-2020 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44,401
    vCash
    31500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    Yea their engines seem to like to break themselves. Random link about the issue

    https://mycarvoice.com/defect-invest...ngine-failure/

    Seems quite common from what I've seen.
    That’s a shame. I always liked the idea of the GT350 more than a GT500. High revving V8s are awesome.

  25. #25
    R.I.P PCED: 6-28-2020 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44,401
    vCash
    31500
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Chevy SS.

    Not my number 1 choice, but they sure are nice cars and would make an awesome DD.



    My personal preference would be w/ a 6-speed, though I realize I'm in the minority here... especially for a DD.
    I love the SS. A small drop and 20 inch wheels like the HSV-GTS and they look terrific.

  26. #26
    Beardsly McTurbanhead DiamondJoeQuimby's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,611
    vCash
    515
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CGM05GOAT
    Merc AMG model. Can be had in sedan, coupe, vert, or SUV. Pick your poison and mash the gas.

  27. #27
    SW:240 CW:234.6 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    61,447
    vCash
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    CTS-V

    Fast.......................................check
    comfortable............................check
    don't care about gas mileage....check
    Model 3 Performance

    Fast.......................................check
    comfortable............................check
    don't care about gas mileage....NA



    You driven a Model 3 yet Hemi? Dew eet

  28. #28
    Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,210
    vCash
    90
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: spddmn24
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    That’s a shame. I always liked the idea of the GT350 more than a GT500. High revving V8s are awesome.
    It's not exactly a shocker since all the other high revving flat plane crank motors are quite a bit smaller in displacement. I sure as hell wouldn't expect ford to out class Ferrari on engine development.

  29. #29
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    180,453
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Model 3 Performance

    Fast.......................................check
    comfortable............................check
    don't care about gas mileage....NA



    You driven a Model 3 yet Hemi? Dew eet
    Doubtful. Hemi seems like the kind of guy that is actually proud of the gender he was born with.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 03-05-2021 at 07:16 PM.

  30. #30
    R.I.P PCED: 6-28-2020 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44,401
    vCash
    31500
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    It's not exactly a shocker since all the other high revving flat plane crank motors are quite a bit smaller in displacement. I sure as hell wouldn't expect ford to out class Ferrari on engine development.
    Yeah I was just hoping they’d get it right. The GT350 is a cool car.

  31. #31
    better than Bryce silverSS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    29,362
    vCash
    25
    I'd probably get the newest M4 I could find (and get a warranty)

  32. #32
    Whataburger > *
    Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    109,877
    vCash
    19025
    SRT8 grand cherokee with a blower

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Chevy SS.

    Not my number 1 choice, but they sure are nice cars and would make an awesome DD.



    My personal preference would be w/ a 6-speed, though I realize I'm in the minority here... especially for a DD.
    It's super easy to drive. Soft enough clutch and steep gearing to be able to drive in pretty much any gear. But autos are far easier to find right now

  34. #34
    Registered Member Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    44,930
    vCash
    1326
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: GearheadSS
    Hmmm. $50k daily/toy. You're getting real close to used 6th gen ZL1 territory at $50k. I don't think CTS-Vs have fallen to the $50k mark yet.

    You could get into a new SS 1LE for that. 1SS for sure and maybe even a 2SS, depending on options.

  35. #35
    CEO: US Heat Lightning Network Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Shitcago
    Posts
    51,044
    vCash
    4360
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Model 3 Performance

    Fast.......................................check
    comfortable............................check
    don't care about gas mileage....NA



    You driven a Model 3 yet Hemi? Dew eet
    Looks like a deformed turd. Hard pass

  36. #36
    Big Red

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Piscataway, NJ
    Posts
    891
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Hmmm. $50k daily/toy. You're getting real close to used 6th gen ZL1 territory at $50k. I don't think CTS-Vs have fallen to the $50k mark yet.

    You could get into a new SS 1LE for that. 1SS for sure and maybe even a 2SS, depending on options.
    Used 6th gen ZL1 was going to get my vote. You're correct on the Gen 3 Vs unless the miles are way up there or its a salvage title car. Hell I've seen people post asking $55k for a salvage title V. Hilarious.

    There was a nice 2012 CTS-V Sedan in Opulent Blue recently posted on FB with nearly 60k miles for $39k. Damn does that color command a premium.

  37. #37
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Back from Hawaii? That sucks. Get tired of it or back for a job?
    Don't think I'd ever get tired of it. Kids weren't digging it though. So I did my 1 year of mando contractual duties and came back here (Maryland).

  38. #38
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Guessing you left the little M car over in Hawaii? That was a sweet lookin' ride.
    Nope, just drove it today. My son is going to buy it from me, he loves it. Super fun to drive.

  39. #39
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    good to see you back here Hemi. and on the East coast too.

  40. #40
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Hmmm. $50k daily/toy. You're getting real close to used 6th gen ZL1 territory at $50k. I don't think CTS-Vs have fallen to the $50k mark yet.

    You could get into a new SS 1LE for that. 1SS for sure and maybe even a 2SS, depending on options.
    Those damned ZL1s sound really good.

  41. #41
    Divorce is ugly 383nitrouZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North of 2
    Posts
    23,038
    vCash
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by 426HEMI View Post
    Those damned ZL1s sound really good.
    50k is a pretty god damn wide open market, and there is a hell of a lot of different things people want. That said, I very highly doubt a ZL1 is going to disappoint.

    I can't much imagine a better performance car for the price. It lacks plenty of refinement, and it is a bit dark inside, but it will bring a smile around a corner or in a straight line.

    That said, if you plan to mod whatever you get, I would keep considering other options. They get expensive quick to modify. Obviously, very personal choice.

  42. #42
    Captain Drugmaster matthyoo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    305, take it to the house
    Posts
    6,432
    vCash
    66
    Chevy SS if I was buying a 4 door.

    C5 Z06 if I was buying a 2 door

    GMC Denali 2500 duramax if I was buying a truck.

  43. #43
    Divorce is ugly 383nitrouZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North of 2
    Posts
    23,038
    vCash
    75
    Important question...

    Do you specifically want an automatic?

    If you don't, don't spend remotely close to 50k, IMO of course.

  44. #44
    Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sussex, WI
    Posts
    33,203
    vCash
    8170
    The new Supra would actually be a good option too. Probably get one for under $50k too.

  45. #45
    Registered Member idareu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,946
    vCash
    500
    If you want something new then the 2020 Acura RLX AWD Hybrid is the best value for under $50k. 0=60 4.9 and awd and everything under the sun inside.

  46. #46
    Registered Member zo6pilot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    10,117
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    The new Supra would actually be a good option too. Probably get one for under $50k too.
    This

  47. #47
    Oops! EABiker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    11,522
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdWS6 View Post
    Used 6th gen ZL1 was going to get my vote. You're correct on the Gen 3 Vs unless the miles are way up there or its a salvage title car. Hell I've seen people post asking $55k for a salvage title V. Hilarious.

    There was a nice 2012 CTS-V Sedan in Opulent Blue recently posted on FB with nearly 60k miles for $39k. Damn does that color command a premium.
    I paid 35K for my 2012 coupe in Opulent Blue with 60K; guess I did get a deal!

  48. #48
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    180,453
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by idareu View Post
    If you want something new then the 2020 Acura RLX AWD Hybrid is the best value for under $50k. 0=60 4.9 and awd and everything under the sun inside.
    And it's butt-ugly.

  49. #49
    R.I.P PCED: 6-28-2020 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44,401
    vCash
    31500
    Quote Originally Posted by idareu View Post
    If you want something new then the 2020 Acura RLX AWD Hybrid is the best value for under $50k. 0=60 4.9 and awd and everything under the sun inside.

  50. #50
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36,930
    vCash
    32587
    Gen 2 Raptor.

  51. #51
    Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,210
    vCash
    90
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: spddmn24
    Something with billionaire doors.

  52. #52
    Registered Member MiLLs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    941
    Posts
    11,480
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by matthyoo View Post
    Chevy SS if I was buying a 4 door.

    C5 Z06 if I was buying a 2 door

    GMC Denali 2500 duramax if I was buying a truck.
    Those duramax’s are top notch and I’m a Ford guy. Only downfall to them is the price tag on trying to delete/tune the newer ones. Cost $5/6/7k

  53. #53
    426HEMI's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104,174
    vCash
    25
    Drove a 2021 F150 STX with the Coyote today. Surprisingly nice truck in a lower level trim. Sticker was 45k, got them down to 38k. Still not sure if I wanna go that way or not. Would be easy to live with as a daily, was quite comfortable. SC kits won't be out till summer time or so for the 2021s so I'd have to wait on that if I go this route.

    This is surprisingly hard to figure out what I want.

  54. #54
    better than Bryce silverSS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    29,362
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    The new Supra would actually be a good option too. Probably get one for under $50k too.
    good call

  55. #55
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91,398
    vCash
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by 426HEMI View Post
    Drove a 2021 F150 STX with the Coyote today. Surprisingly nice truck in a lower level trim. Sticker was 45k, got them down to 38k. Still not sure if I wanna go that way or not. Would be easy to live with as a daily, was quite comfortable. SC kits won't be out till summer time or so for the 2021s so I'd have to wait on that if I go this route.

    This is surprisingly hard to figure out what I want.
    I bought a 2019 F150 STX with the Coyote V8. I love it. I did a cat back with dual exhaust, resonator delete and love the sound.

  56. #56
    Registered Member Black96lt1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    G'vlle,SC
    Posts
    17,578
    vCash
    2261
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gameskin
    Hyperion's thread reminded me. You definitely should check out Q50 red sports. They are nice but seem to get forgotten about. Wife has a normal q50 and they are pretty nice daily drivers.

  57. #57
    Maybe don't wear a bra next time... Darkmatter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Posts
    20,805
    vCash
    25
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: id4rkmatt3r PSN ID: XvDARKMATTERvX
    Used Mercedes CLS63 AMG. Sexy, comfy, fast

  58. #58
    Registered Member zo6pilot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    10,117
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Used Mercedes CLS63 AMG. Sexy, comfy, fast
    Agreed...with warranty

  59. #59
    Registered Member Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    44,930
    vCash
    1326
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: GearheadSS
    Raiti just happened to release this video a couple of days ago.

    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 03-08-2021 at 06:49 PM.

  60. #60
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    180,453
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Raiti just happened to release this video a couple of days ago.

    Damn. That ZL1 in white is fine!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •