Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C7 vs. ZL1 vs. ???

vCash

C7 vs. ZL1 vs. ???

Yo, I know we seem to do this thread every 3 months or so for someone, but I'm bored and figured someone would be happy to kill some time.

I'm probably going to pick up a C7 or a ZL1. I'd like to stay under the 50k price point. I really can't decide what the hell I want. I primarily want something for taking to a track for both some road course time but mostly drag strip. So, nothing I can think of is really the "perfect" car. I prefer the look of a C7, and I really have an attachment to a targa top. However, I assume LT1's in base C7's have the same piston and fuel issues that the LT1's in camaros have. So, with a C7, I'm instantly looking at that issue. That isn't nearly as big of an issue with the LT4 in a ZL1. However, camaros definitely feel cramped to some degree. A sunroof might open up the feel a little, but I still think I would much prefer the "atmosphere" of the C7. I also have an affinity for a "sleeper", and no one really expects a corvette to not be stock (this could definitely just be 10 years younger me never growing up).

So, I'm hung up. If I could get a SS 1LE with an automatic, that would be ideal, but that option doesn't exist unless I get a new one. It doesn't make any sense for me to buy anything with much of a warranty anyway. So, I'm weighing pros and cons.

My main question having said that, any must have options when looking at C7's? Is the Z51 package worth it? I'm probably looking at a 2015 or 2016. Sources say those transmissions can be much more easily tuned than newer year models. Any other sub-50k cars that fit the niche of what I'm looking for? I can't think of anything that is relatively cheap to mod other than a Mustang, and I'm really not terribly interested in that route.

vCash
    I’d get the ZL1. I never felt cramped in them either.

I see you’re raring to spend some money like some people suggested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I’d get the ZL1. I never felt cramped in them either.

I see you’re raring to spend some money like some people suggested.
    This was going to happen this year regardless.... I need something to occupy my mind with a little sooner now though.

In all honesty, the ZL1 is the right move. Fuel system and bottom end are infinitely better. It would be a lot cheaper to make a lot faster.

Another hangup I have, since I do want to do some road course stuff, is that I don't want something with stupid outrageous power all the time that I can't put down. I could relatively easily build a 800+ HP ZL1, but I couldn't put that power down around a road course.

So, a nitrous build on a C7 makes a lot of sense for that, but I'll need to go into the bottom end to do that reliably.

Also, nitrous avoids the fueling issues these cars have.
    Last edited by 383nitrouZ; 02-06-2021 at 06:30 PM.

GT500 or GT350. Or C6Z

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    GT500 or GT350. Or C6Z
    No auto in a C6Z

New automatics are just too good. Plus, I'll drive it a lot. Tired of dealing with a stick.

Can't get a GT500 for 50k...
    Last edited by 383nitrouZ; 02-06-2021 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    No way could I get a newer corvette now that the C8 is out. I'd get a C5Z or maybe a C6Z, but that's as late as I'd go w/out springing for a C8.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Whatever is in your price range that has a blower

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Wait. Just read again. Nitrous for a road course?

vCash
    Before we bought the Z06 we test drove several Camaros. If they had a moonroof I absolutely didn't fit, even with the seat all the way down and the back lowered past the point of comfort. The cars without the moonroof I fit okay in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    Wait. Just read again. Nitrous for a road course?
    No, dummy.

Nitrous for the drag strip. No nitrous for the road course. That's the point. All the power at the drag strip. Usable power on the road course. Can't really turn off a supercharger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Before we bought the Z06 we test drove several Camaros. If they had a moonroof I absolutely didn't fit, even with the seat all the way down and the back lowered past the point of comfort. The cars without the moonroof I fit okay in.
    It isn't really the space itself. When I say cramped, I mean the car doesn't feel open. It feels like I'm in an airplane with a very limited view of what's around me.

As in, a camera is a really shifty car for scenic driving.

CEO: US Heat Lightning Network Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

vCash
    Yes always remember, cars with turbos and blowers are prohibited at road courses. Cannot turn turbocharger off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr WeatherBoner View Post
    Yes always remember, cars with turbos and blowers are prohibited at road courses. Cannot turn turbocharger off!
    Are we really going to debate that a car can't make more power than it can put down around a road course. Really?

I've seen plenty of people say a base Z06 gets squirrely as all hell. I would be talking about adding another 150-200hp. I can't imagine how that doesn't make sense to think about.

vCash
    Perhaps, better said, I'd rather have a cammed full bolt on C7 on a road course than a ZL1 with a ported blower, and full bolt ons.

Obviously, as should be clear, it is about finding the best balance for what I really want, but acting like it is crazy to be hesitant about a car on a road course with an absorbanent amount of power is just silly to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 383nitrouZ View Post
    Perhaps, better said, I'd rather have a cammed full bolt on C7 on a road course than a ZL1 with a ported blower, and full bolt ons.

Obviously, as should be clear, it is about finding the best balance for what I really want, but acting like it is crazy to be hesitant about a car on a road course with an absorbanent amount of power is just silly to do.
    How else you gonna go apeshit on the straightaways???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    How else you gonna go apeshit on the straightaways???
    Apeshit on the straightaway is just drag racing. I'd much rather toss the car into a corner and come out of it at power not babying it.
    Last edited by 383nitrouZ; 02-06-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Big Red

vCash
    Save some extra $ and grab a C7Z when the prices calm down a little. Glass roof will make it feel more open. If you plan on road course in the peak of summer and you're a good enough driver, it may have overheating issues (they have a recall or TSB out for it now). The look and handling of the Z06 was great from my perspective. I dragged, auto-x and road coursed my Z with zero issues.

The ZL1 is also very good with better cooling but if you can spring for a little more, I'd take the Vette.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdWS6 View Post
    Save some extra $ and grab a C7Z when the prices calm down a little. Glass roof will make it feel more open. If you plan on road course in the peak of summer and you're a good enough driver, it may have overheating issues (they have a recall or TSB out for it now). The look and handling of the Z06 was great from my perspective. I dragged, auto-x and road coursed my Z with zero issues.

The ZL1 is also very good with better cooling but if you can spring for a little more, I'd take the Vette.
    I'd my boy J.B. will sign that paper wiping out 50k of student loan debt, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

vCash
    I say that, but I probably honestly wouldn't jump on a C7Z regardless. What I really want is something I want to play around with. A C7Z would be a little too pricey for me to comfortably touch and would cost too much to put any significant money into. That's what I would want if I wanted something to buy and drive as is. I need a God damn hobby though, and to make some real life friends.

vCash
    Apeshit on the straightaway is just drag racing. I'd much rather toss the car into a corner and come out of it at power not babying it.
    I believe the Mazda Miata is the car for you.

vCash
    I believe the Mazda Miata is the car for you.
    I'll look into that

What about a 4th generation WS6 with a strut tower brace?

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Since we are spending your money I suggest we up the budget and get a '19 ZR1 with the LMR 1000 package

vCash

What about a 4th generation WS6 with a strut tower brace?
    Not recommended, too much power for a road course. Possible tire slippage detected. Please play it safe.
    Last edited by Dr WeatherBoner; 02-07-2021 at 12:10 AM.

vCash
    Not recommended, too much power for a road course. Possible tire slippage detected. Please play it safe.
    I was thinking about adding a restrictor plate to be safe. And upgrading to the 9.5" rims for extra grip.

vCash
    I was thinking about adding a restrictor plate to be safe. And upgrading to the 9.5" rims for extra grip.
    I can direct you to the application page of the Cruise Control Nationals if you wish.

vCash
    I can direct you to the application page of the Cruise Control Nationals if you wish.
    Only problem with this plan is I'm hoping to find a whip that says I have enough money to forgive my receding hairline.

This path might lead one to believe I am growing a mullet.

Tough call.

vCash

You keep talking about excessive power on a road course. GM has the ZL1 dialed in for road courses. I don’t know what your experience level is but the car is likely better than you are. A few bolt ons for a ZL1 won’t make it unmanageable on a road course unless you suck at driving. Put some R compounds on there and go to town.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 02-07-2021 at 02:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You keep talking about excessive power on a road course. GM has the ZL1 dialed in for road courses. I don’t know what your experience level is but the car is likely better than you are. A few bolt ons for a ZL1 won’t make it unmanageable on a road course unless you suck at driving. Put some R compounds on there and go to town.
    Fair enough. My main point was that it isn't something that is insane to consider. Honestly, I might got to a road course 3 times a year. I would probably hit up a drag strip once a month. So, I'd certainly sacrifice road course capability over a drag strip anyway.

You also get the 10spd with the ZL1 over the 8spd in the C7... I need to find a ZL1 with a sunroof and take a test drive. After all this god damn snow melts, that is.
    Last edited by 383nitrouZ; 02-07-2021 at 02:40 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GearheadSS
    ZL1 has better cooling and a better trans, if you're going automatic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    ZL1 has better cooling and a better trans, if you're going automatic.
    A ZL1 is definitely the smart move for what I want... other than the fact that being in a camaro feels like I'm in a submarine not a car lol.

Found a local one with a sunroof. Gonna see if that opens things up.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

A ZL1 is definitely the smart move for what I want... other than the fact that being in a camaro feels like I'm in a submarine not a car lol.

Found a local one with a sunroof. Gonna see if that opens things up.
    It won't. Don't get a sunroof if you plan on tracking it. It will severely cut down on your helmet clearance. The hole is small too. They're useless. I never order 1LEs or ZL1s with sunroofs because of this.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 02-07-2021 at 10:06 PM.

vCash
    It won't. Don't get a sunroof if you plan on tracking it. It will severely cut down on your helmet clearance. The hole is small too. They're useless. I never order 1LEs or ZL1s with sunroofs because of this.
    Ugh.

Thanks for the info though.

I have a Pray ported MSD and 103mm TB sitting around I bought for my current car. headers, E85, MSD, tune, and tires would make a mid to low 11 second C7. Hell, you can get a C7 for 40k easily. I could throw a kit on it until I blow the rings and then pull a Hyperion lol.

Luckily, it snowed some more today. So, I'm not doing shit for at least a month.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    What is the current car?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    What is the current car?
    2016 SS

Which is why I'm so adamant about the ZL1. I know I won't love driving it. Car drives fantastic, but I can barely see the shit I absolutely need to see. It is shit for a scenic drive.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    ZL1

The C7 is just too much 'look at me'

vCash
    When the time comes that to get rid of mine I'd like to find someone with C7 Z06 to trade with, that's about the only other car I'd want.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Test drove a ZL1. Happened to be one local that fit what I was looking for and weather was nice.

Offered me 5k above payoff on my car for trade in. It is a hell of a car. Seemed to be a good bit stiffer than my SS. Not sure if that is my imagination. I assumed suspension was pretty similar. Could be the magnetic ride as well. Forgot to ask about that.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Test drove a ZL1. Happened to be one local that fit what I was looking for and weather was nice.

Offered me 5k above payoff on my car for trade in. It is a hell of a car. Seemed to be a good bit stiffer than my SS. Not sure if that is my imagination. I assumed suspension was pretty similar. Could be the magnetic ride as well. Forgot to ask about that.

Mag ride will make a difference for sure. There's quite a bit that's different on a ZL1 vs. a non 1LE SS.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential
    Performance Traction Management
    Wider front fenders
    Wider front track
    Larger brakes
    Chassis reinforcement

Not to mention parts that are designed to handle the extra 200 horspower.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 02-11-2021 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Mag ride will make a difference for sure. There's quite a bit that's different on a ZL1 vs. a non 1LE SS.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential
    Performance Traction Management
    Wider front fenders
    Wider front track
    Larger brakes
    Chassis reinforcement

Not to mention parts that are designed to handle the extra 200 horspower.
    Brakes were very noticeable. Chassis reinforcement is what I really didn't think much about, and I imagine is the majority of the difference I felt. I know you have mentioned before that the ZL1 1LE's would beat the shit out of you. I could certainly see that after driving that car.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Brakes were very noticeable. Chassis reinforcement is what I really didn't think much about, and I imagine is the majority of the difference I felt. I know you have mentioned before that the ZL1 1LE's would beat the shit out of you. I could certainly see that after driving that car.
    ZL1 1LE doesn't get mag ride. The DSSV shocks are stiff but they're also easily adjusted for track use. The ZLE also has solid rear cradle bushings instead of rubber ones. That's why the ride is so harsh.

vCash
    Can I hijack this thread? I've been all over the board lately wanting another fun car and have been looking at 2013 ZL1s (prefer the looks over the 14+)

Do those have the supercharger issues I've read about in the past? Overall opinions? Looking at 6 speeds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
    Can I hijack this thread? I've been all over the board lately wanting another fun car and have been looking at 2013 ZL1s (prefer the looks over the 14+)

Do those have the supercharger issues I've read about in the past? Overall opinions? Looking at 6 speeds
    What price range are those cars in?

vCash
    What price range are those cars in?
    Low to mid 30s it seems. @580hp is enough for me in my old age

vCash
    Low to mid 30s it seems. @580hp is enough for me in my old age
    There are a lot of options in that price range, but it is obviously a personal choice. If you want a 6 speed, that does make it a little less narrow though. I mean, you can be in a c6 Z06 for 30k.

You just want a toy to row gears in? No plans to mod or put any serious track time into?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yes but GM has a special coverage on them. Most have already been warrantied and fixed/replaced. I wouldn't be scared of one at all. They're great cars. I've also grown to like the 14-15 rear end. Doesn't bother me like they did when they were new. I actually like the LED taillights over the round ones of the 12-13.

vCash
    There are a lot of options in that price range, but it is obviously a personal choice. If you want a 6 speed, that does make it a little less narrow though. I mean, you can be in a c6 Z06 for 30k.

You just want a toy to row gears in? No plans to mod or put any serious track time into?
    Yes just something to cruise in. I would, however, like a backseat to take my daughter along with from time to time - not a requirement as I've got other cars but....

Damnit now I'm looking at zo6s :damnit:

Edit: I've also looked at 2013 boss mustangs, 07 gt500s etc
    Last edited by TOPPED_OUT; 02-11-2021 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Yes but GM has a special coverage on them. Most have already been warrantied and fixed/replaced. I wouldn't be scared of one at all. They're great cars. I've also grown to like the 14-15 rear end. Doesn't bother me like they did when they were new. I actually like the LED taillights over the round ones of the 12-13.
    You're the guy I was looking for actually, thank you.

Found a 2013 with 12k miles for about $35. Clean Carfax... What say ye?

vCash
    Yes just something to cruise in. I would, however, like a backseat to take my daughter along with from time to time - not a requirement as I've got other cars but....

Damnit now I'm looking at zo6s :damnit:
    Hell of a lot of options for 6 speed cars in the 30k range.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You're the guy I was looking for actually, thank you.

Found a 2013 with 12k miles for about $35. Clean Carfax... What say ye?
    What color? Any other options on it other than 6 speed? Like the 6th gens, beware of the sunroof on 5th gens. It really cuts down on the headroom and it's a small opening.

That's great mileage for a 2012. I'd shoot for lower $30s though since it's a first year ZL1. I've seen 2015s for the same price.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 02-11-2021 at 08:09 PM.

vCash
    What color? Any other options on it other than 6 speed? Like the 6th gens, beware of the sunroof on 5th gens. It really cuts down on the headroom and it's a small opening.

That's great mileage for a 2012. I'd shoot for lower $30s though since it's a first year ZL1. I've seen 2015s for the same price.
    Red...no sunroof and it's a 2013, not a 2012 (if that makes much difference lol). Has the "regular" zl1 wheels (not the black 1le wheels)....hmm...what other options were available that year? Guage pack by the shifter I assume was std on a zl1. It does have the navigation radio

vCash
    Bad thing about those ZL1s are they are very heavy and are no faster than a 6th Gen SS. You could get a one of those for around the same price and have a much newer better car. Only thing I am not sure about is how big the back seat is in the 5th Gens because they are pretty small in the 6th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Bad thing about those ZL1s are they are very heavy and are no faster than a 6th Gen SS. You could get a one of those for around the same price and have a much newer better car. Only thing I am not sure about is how big the back seat is in the 5th Gens because they are pretty small in the 6th.

Damn you!!

I wouldn't mind a 6th gen 1le non zl1
    Last edited by TOPPED_OUT; 02-11-2021 at 10:41 PM.

vCash

Damn you!!

I wouldn't mind a 6th gen 1le non zl1
    That's what I'd look at if the backseat is big enough, after driving one you'd love it.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    That's what I'd look at if the backseat is big enough, after driving one you'd love it.

5th gens are nice cars but the gap between 5th gens and 6th gens is huge. But that is not to say you wouldn't be happy with one, especially a zl1.

vCash
    I love a 6th gen 1LE.

vCash
    I'd second what has been said above. I just didn't want to say it and sound totally biased

6th gens are a much different feeling car than 5th gens.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I'd probably get a 6th gen 1LE over a 5th gen ZL1 but that's only because I'm currently in a 5th gen 1LE. I'd prefer to have the 6th gen updates on the next one.

vCash
    Well, some in the world will encourage you to shit or get off the pot...

I followed their advice. Brought home that ZL1 today. That didn't take long.

vCash
    Well, some in the world will encourage you to shit or get off the pot...

I followed their advice. Brought home that ZL1 today. That didn't take long.
    Awesome! Pics?!

vCash
    Awesome! Pics?!

I'll get some as soon as shit thaws. I actually went to get it today because there is a chance of snow every other day for the next week.

Nightfall Grey base ZL1 with the A10 obviously. Does have a sunroof. I actually like it. Took my helmet to make sure I had plenty of clearance. Between test drives and driving it home, I have about 3 hours of seat time in it. The people that say once you drive a boosted car you'll have a hard time going back aren't wrong. The throttle is addictive.