Thread: Sold the JK upgraded to a '16 Chevy SS

Registered Member

vCash

Sold the JK upgraded to a '16 Chevy SS

This thing is really nice, super impressed with build quality.
    Before this the nicest car I had was a g8, I just don't like buying newer cars more than anything, but these things are holding their value so well I decided to pull the trigger.

16 with 59k miles. Had a new long block put in at about 30k by dealer. Only has a few thousand on all mods. Cam, stall, exhaust, hre wheels, mav man carbon fiber hood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-29-12-52-46.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	34580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-29-12-52-18.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	34581  

vCash
    Nice upgrade indeed. I’d consider painting the hood though.

vCash
    They are really nice cars. My buddy has a blue 6-speed '17 and that car is fine. An auto '16 showed up here on a lot w/ 48k miles. I contemplated on getting it for my wife, but we passed. Congrats on the car.

vCash
    I'm convinced that there are now more Holden badged SS here in the US than there are in Australia.

They are nice cars that have held their value insanely well.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Nice upgrade indeed. I’d consider painting the hood though.
    It came with stock hood too. I'm going to swap it out and sell this CF one for 1k I think. They're pretty desirable. Going to do same with the wheels for 2k or so. Not a huge fan of black wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    They are really nice cars. My buddy has a blue 6-speed '17 and that car is fine. An auto '16 showed up here on a lot w/ 48k miles. I contemplated on getting it for my wife, but we passed. Congrats on the car.
    Thanks! Damn, a blue 6 speed was my number 1 choice, couldn't find one for a good price tho. That or green, but those are rare AF

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I'm convinced that there are now more Holden badged SS here in the US than there are in Australia.

Ha, yeah. I'm fairly certain that's true. I'm undecided if im keeping it that way or going back to the bowtie.
    Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 09-30-2020 at 01:13 AM.

vCash

so...you should know. are there any true holden badged SS's sold here?
    my neighbor has one and claims it is super rare...im like isn't is just a chevy SS with holden badges?
    no, they sold some here also ??

vCash
    Hell yeah joining the Heron White club.

I just ran mine last Wednesday for the first time, 12.5@112 with headers and a tune.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    my neighbor has one and claims it is super rare...im like isn't is just a chevy SS with holden badges?
    No, it's just the thing to do for whatever reason. Ironically the Aussies like to do Chevy conversions to their Holden's.

vCash
    These wheels and rear spoiler. You're welcome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    No, it's just the thing to do for whatever reason. Ironically the Aussies like to do Chevy conversions to their Holden's.
    don't get me wrong...the Holden badges look better than the dumbass ugly chevy bowtie crap...
    but i wouldn't be telling everyone it's a true holden

vCash
    don't get me wrong...the Holden badges look better than the dumbass ugly chevy bowtie crap...
    but i wouldn't be telling everyone it's a true holden
    But but but....

It is a holden. Made in Oz.

vCash
    It's like the Acura NSX guys in the US taking off the Acura emblem and putting on the Honda emblem.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    It's like the Acura NSX guys in the US taking off the Acura emblem and putting on the Honda emblem.
    Took me way too long to figure out why the first gens seem to always be Honda’s on Reddit

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    But but but....

It is a holden. Made in Oz.

Just don't put Holden panels on and claim it's converted. That's the dumbest shit ever. Unless it's RHD, it's not converted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough View Post
    This thing is really nice, super impressed with build quality.
    Before this the nicest car I had was a g8, I just don't like buying newer cars more than anything, but these things are holding their value so well I decided to pull the trigger.

16 with 59k miles. Had a new long block put in at about 30k by dealer. Only has a few thousand on all mods. Cam, stall, exhaust, hre wheels, mav man carbon fiber hood.

Hell yeah joining the Heron White club.

I just ran mine last Wednesday for the first time, 12.5@112 with headers and a tune.
    Nice! Street tires or DRs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post

Nice! Street tires or DRs?
    Street tires. Actually my first pass was the 12.5 and barely brake torqued it, cut a mid 1.9. So of course next pass I got overzealous and just blew the fucking tires away to a 3.0 and half assed it to a 15.1. Then finished with a 12.6 and 12.7 but the track got slicker and couldn't get another 1.9xx

vCash
    lol, no they didn't.

vCash
    I love my 2015, great road trip car

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    So why is it Dodge can sell 4 door rear wheel v8 cars like crazy but Chevy can't seem to make it work in a moderately priced package.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post
    So why is it Dodge can sell 4 door rear wheel v8 cars like crazy but Chevy can't seem to make it work in a moderately priced package.....

Styling. Name heritage (Charger = "oh yea, I had one of those back in 1968, blah blah) vs SS = "uh....SS Camaro? Chevelle? .....uhh...." Then sees the product "WTF is SS about that? Drivetrain? Oh....oh ok....cool and shit." They took a daily ho-hum car and put it on steroids with the drivetrain and braking. Everything else basically is a regular sedan. I personally love the sleeper look.
    Last edited by ARSENAL670; 10-15-2020 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ARSENAL670 View Post
    Styling. Name heritage (Charger = "oh yea, I had one of those back in 1968, blah blah) vs SS = "uh....SS Camaro? Chevelle? .....uhh...." Then sees the product "WTF is SS about that? Drivetrain? Oh....oh ok....cool and shit." They took a daily ho-hum car and put it on steroids with the drivetrain and braking. Everything else basically is a regular sedan. I personally love the sleeper look.
    Yeah, you are probably right seems kind of simple to just call it a Chevelle.....but it would have probably sold more.

vCash
    Yeah, you are probably right seems kind of simple to just call it a Chevelle.....but it would have probably sold more.

And factor in who they were marketing it too as well. I feel like the SS was marketed toward the older crowd that wanted to be fast and reminisce about having a sports car with alot of power, but not look the part or draw too much attention.

Dodge basically said "haha, cool story bro, but we don't give a fuck" and started churning out badass looking and performing sedans, suv's. And i read somewhere that they are taking their 707hp hellcat motor and putting it into a 1500 series pickup. Like, producing that as a buyable model.

Dodge is like

vCash

Supposedly before bankruptcy in '09 GM was going to bring that platform over to the US (Zeta) as they did for the 5th gen Camaro and the "new" Impala would have moved over and become RWD (hence why that old W-body Impala went on forever before the new FWD version came out). Rumors of a Buick sedan as well plus the next G8. Then it would have been natural for the SS to be the Impala SS. Once that was scrapped and the Impala stayed FWD they just imported 3k a year, along with the Caprice PPV, from Australia to fulfill a union quote that began with the Pontiac G8 until GM killed off the Holden plant in '17.

vCash
    GM had no interest in selling a ton of these cars. The only reason this car even exists is because GM had to fulfill their contract with Holden to import a version of this car. That's why they got lazy on the name and that's why it got ZERo advertising. I'm sure it was a loser for them and therefore, they just wanted to get them here and that's it.

GM was 100% going to bring the UTE over here as a Pontiac. Pontiac going away killed that of course. If they had planned to badge it as a Chevy from the get go, then we would have gotten an El Camino here. Since it was originally designed as a Pontiac, then the whole project was killed.

When I was at Sewell, we had a pre-production unit on our showroom floor for a day. I wish I still had the pictures of it but my phone from back then was fried. It was fucking awesome.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 10-15-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Registered Member

vCash
    I would sell the SS for a Ute, without thinking twice. I've even looked at those g8 ute conversions but just can't justify the price.

vCash
    Yeah GM didn't market the car at all. It seems like only car guys knew it existed.

The Maloo is a pretty neat car truck. I couldn't find any HSV ones to test drive while I was in NZ/OZ

The HSV GTS is so much more tits than the shit we got

vCash
    Too bad too, it’s a way better car than the Chrysler boats. Better quality, better interior, better chassis, suspension, brakes. And it was an LS motor, so no problem making it faster, which when equipped with the hellcat was about all the Chrysler’s held over it.

vCash

Gm marketing sucks

Too bad too, it’s a way better car than the Chrysler boats. Better quality, better interior, better chassis, suspension, brakes. And it was an LS motor, so no problem making it faster, which when equipped with the hellcat was about all the Chrysler’s held over it.
    I've tried to like Dodge but I just can't seem to get into them at all.
    Driven the SRT-4 caliber, the SRT-6 crossfire, the SRT-8 Magnum, Grand Cherokee, Charger, (M6) Challenger, and SRT poop pack Challenger. The SRT-6 was the most fun to drive of the bunch. But all were overpriced for what they were.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    Supposedly before bankruptcy in '09 GM was going to bring that platform over to the US (Zeta) as they did for the 5th gen Camaro and the "new" Impala would have moved over and become RWD (hence why that old W-body Impala went on forever before the new FWD version came out). Rumors of a Buick sedan as well plus the next G8. Then it would have been natural for the SS to be the Impala SS. Once that was scrapped and the Impala stayed FWD they just imported 3k a year, along with the Caprice PPV, from Australia to fulfill a union quote that began with the Pontiac G8 until GM killed off the Holden plant in '17.
    GM had no interest in selling a ton of these cars. The only reason this car even exists is because GM had to fulfill their contract with Holden to import a version of this car. That's why they got lazy on the name and that's why it got ZERo advertising. I'm sure it was a loser for them and therefore, they just wanted to get them here and that's it.

GM was 100% going to bring the UTE over here as a Pontiac. Pontiac going away killed that of course. If they had planned to badge it as a Chevy from the get go, then we would have gotten an El Camino here. Since it was originally designed as a Pontiac, then the whole project was killed.

When I was at Sewell, we had a pre-production unit on our showroom floor for a day. I wish I still had the pictures of it but my phone from back then was fried. It was fucking awesome.
    GM "logic" fucking sucks. They could/should be selling tons of v6 and 5.3 rwd Impalas and also having a SS with the lt1/10 speed with a another higher model with the lt4 or 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    GM "logic" fucking sucks. They could/should be selling tons of v6 and 5.3 rwd Impalas and also having a SS with the lt1/10 speed with a another higher model with the lt4 or 5.
    It's an awesome idea but it's not a huge market for such a car.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

It's an awesome idea but it's not a huge market for such a car.
    You say that shit but chargers seem to be EVERYWHERE.......

vCash
    You say that shit but chargers seem to be EVERYWHERE.......

Rental cars and law enforcement account for a significant portion of charger sales. There really areNt that many of them beyond that, especially if you’re just talking the enthusiast cars like scats and hellcats.

vCash
    Rental cars and law enforcement account for a significant portion of charger sales. There really areNt that many of them beyond that, especially if you’re just talking the enthusiast cars like scats and hellcats.
    They still sold almost 97k of them in 2019. That's a decent number for a car like that in today's car market. I do think that GM or anyone else would still struggle to sell that many of the same type of car.

I still wish they would make a Chevy version of the CT5 to at least compete with the Charger.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 10-16-2020 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    The SS might hold its value better than any 4dr Chevy ever made

vCash
    That's not saying much

Quote Originally Posted by idareu View Post
    The SS might hold its value better than any 4dr Chevy ever made
    You must forget about the late 50s

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    You must forget about the late 50s
    that doesn't count