Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s the best brand of truck? v.27645

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post
    Lol as much as a hater as he is it probably pales in comparison to you .

That said a Tundra is great if you don't mind 3 electronics 2-3 Gen behind the rest and 15mpg.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    15 might in a Tundra? Is it in neutral and rolling downhill when it hits that career high?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    15 might in a Tundra? Is it in neutral and rolling downhill when it hits that career high?
    My '18 averages about 16 mpg...lolololols

vCash
    Lol as much as a hater as he is it probably pales in comparison to you .

That said a Tundra is great if you don't mind 3 electronics 2-3 Gen behind the rest and 15mpg.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Exactly what makes my '18 Tundra completely reliable. Imo,if you want a truck to keep very long term and pile miles on without issues get a tundra. That's why I got mine, it's already at 75k miles and no issues. I plan to keep it until 500k or so...

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    Exactly what makes my '18 Tundra completely reliable. Imo,if you want a truck to keep very long term and pile miles on without issues get a tundra. That's why I got mine, it's already at 75k miles and no issues. I plan to keep it until 500k or so...
    500k? Cot damn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PC PaiN View Post
    500k? Cot damn
    Should be interesting to see what all breaks. There is a million mile tundra that did hotshot hauling and required transmission work and like an alternator..we'll see how mine does

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    Should be interesting to see what all breaks. There is a million mile tundra that did hotshot hauling and required transmission work and like an alternator..we'll see how mine does
    On that truck, reverse went out at like 770k miles. Between 0 and a million miles it needed an alternator and a water pump...

There is another million miler out there that needed 2 alternators and a water pump (it had an intake valve recall done as well)...

vCash
    Lol as much as a hater as he is it probably pales in comparison to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN View Post
    On that truck, reverse went out at like 770k miles. Between 0 and a million miles it needed an alternator and a water pump...

There is another million miler out there that needed 2 alternators and a water pump (it had an intake valve recall done as well)...

Wasnt that also the generation that had exploding camshafts, limp noodle frames, and paper machete tailgates?

vCash
    So anyway, I believe we are in agreement that the Ford F-series is the best truck.

vCash
    The Tundra is a good truck, hate it all you want but the service records support its reliability and as long as you know its short coming like listed prior of terrible MPG and electronics I see no issue with one.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Buying new, I'd go Ford all the way. Wouldn't consider anything else.
    5.0,or 3.5eb.

Gm with 6.2 is probably the best ENGINE currently made. Perfect hp/torque, with amazing MPG, and reliable as hell, but damn, GM quality has been a total shitshow for an ENTIRE generation, with no real fix. Front end shakes, and 8spd shithouse,and I call bullshit on the "Oh, it WaS jUsT the FlUiD" fix.
    Personally seen that disproven a number of times.
    Basically, I don't trust GM truck quality,and I've always owned GM.

New Rams look SHARP, and they have the 8spd ZF, which is the best auto made for any truck. I still dont think their quality is near a Ford.

Toyota is solid, but damn. A half ton, that makes half ton HP, but gets gas 3/4 ton MPG. Also, they look stupid.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 09-24-2020 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    My only issue with RAM is their quality... I have a facebook friend who is a total Dodge homer and all he does is bitch about having to take his Rams back to the dealer for software updates or other random crap... he buys a new one about once every year or two though and trades in the old... He's got to be drowning in debt, I have no idea how he keeps his head above water as a landscaper...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    My only issue with RAM is their quality... I have a facebook friend who is a total Dodge homer and all he does is bitch about having to take his Rams back to the dealer for software updates or other random crap... he buys a new one about once every year or two though and trades in the old... He's got to be drowning in debt, I have no idea how he keeps his head above water as a landscaper...
    You ever priced landscaping?
    Fuckers want $2,500 to weed a bed the size of a kitchen table.

On the real, they will put one Mexican on the job, have him there for 8hrs, and want $150hr for his labor alone. No materials.

While paying him $10hr. I've seen this numerous times
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 09-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
    Also - this has been the biggest surprise with this truck and the 6.2 - thought I'd be getting maybe 20 or 21 hwy - this was after a fillup in Tomah on the way to Chicago

They probably sold you a 5.3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
    They probably sold you a 5.3
    5.3 actually gets worse,or at best, the same.

6.2 GM is hard to beat. Especially given its simplicity compared to the Ford engines.
    Not knocking Ford.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 09-24-2020 at 09:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    You ever priced landscaping?
    Fuckers want $2,500 to weed a bed the size of a kitchen table.

On the real, they will put one Mexican on the job, have him there for 8hrs, and want $150hr for his labor alone. No materials.

While paying him $10hr. I've seen this numerous times
    lol I know it can be ridiculous. But around here we are saturated with landscapers... every schmuck that doesn’t want to have a real job goes out and buys a plow truck and a lawnmower and all of a sudden they are a landscaper. This guy spends like he makes 100k, but he is a one mans show. My best guess is a lot of cash transactions. My wife and I just roll our eyes every time he brings a new ATV or snowmobile home and posts BRAAAPPPP on Facebook. Anyway we have a lot of guys like that around here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    lol I know it can be ridiculous. But around here we are saturated with landscapers... every schmuck that doesn’t want to have a real job goes out and buys a plow truck and a lawnmower and all of a sudden they are a landscaper. This guy spends like he makes 100k, but he is a one mans show. My best guess is a lot of cash transactions. My wife and I just roll our eyes every time he brings a new ATV or snowmobile home and posts BRAAAPPPP on Facebook. Anyway we have a lot of guys like that around here.
    I can't speak for him but a whole whole lot.of my friends own Lawcare here and of that 2 are 1 man shows and both do very well for themselves but also work them self to the bone.

vCash
    Buying new, I'd go Ford all the way. Wouldn't consider anything else.
    5.0,or 3.5eb.

Gm with 6.2 is probably the best ENGINE currently made. Perfect hp/torque, with amazing MPG, and reliable as hell, but damn, GM quality has been a total shitshow for an ENTIRE generation, with no real fix. Front end shakes, and 8spd shithouse,and I call bullshit on the "Oh, it WaS jUsT the FlUiD" fix.
    Personally seen that disproven a number of times.
    Basically, I don't trust GM truck quality,and I've always owned GM.

New Rams look SHARP, and they have the 8spd ZF, which is the best auto made for any truck. I still dont think their quality is near a Ford.

Toyota is solid, but damn. A half ton, that makes half ton HP, but gets gas 3/4 ton MPG. Also, they look stupid.
    The 2nd gen 5.0 is having crazy oil consumption issues.

And the 8spd trans did have issues with the fluid. Going to the new fluid has all but fixed the issues. The new 10spd is excellent though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tyman View Post
    The 2nd gen 5.0 is having crazy oil consumption issues.
    Barely had any 5.0s in with major concerns....bunch of timing components with new 3.5s though.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TTU98SS
    My company owns a Ford store, a Chevy store, a CDJR store and a Toyota store. I can pretty much have my pick of whatever from these and I drive an F150

Ford makes the best full size light duty pickup, for sure

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MiLLs View Post
    Barely had any 5.0s in with major concerns....bunch of timing components with new 3.5s though.
    My ’18 platinum has the 3.5 and a 5 star tune, it's running niiiiiice. I fill up with 93 every time

vCash
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...mption.305243/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...69811-0001.pdf

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-related.html

and I've read the 3.5's are still having problems with cam phasers but it supposedly hasn't been that big of an issue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TTU View Post
    My ’18 platinum has the 3.5 and a 5 star tune, it's running niiiiiice. I fill up with 93 every time
    dat sport mode doe

eta: read that the new 2021 are being upgraded in the power department too........400hp/500tq
    The 3.5-liter EcoBoost now produces 400 horsepower (up 25) and 500 lb-ft of torque (up 30) and can tow up to 14,000 pounds (the previous model year maxed out at 13,200 pounds) with a max payload of 3250 pounds.
    Last edited by tyman; 09-30-2020 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    I run 93 in mine too. Is a tune worth the money on the 5.0s?

vCash
    I run 93 in mine too. Is a tune worth the money on the 5.0s?
    You don’t need to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You don’t need to.
    don't need to do the tune?

vCash
    yeah 93 alone I can tell a difference in my EB, livernois 93 tune added and my other bolts ons and she moves for a full size truck. disappoint a lot of sports cars from a dig.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...mption.305243/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...69811-0001.pdf

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-related.html

and I've read the 3.5's are still having problems with cam phasers but it supposedly hasn't been that big of an issue
    we've seen way more phaser issues than 5.0 issues. I wanna say we've replaced one engine for that TSB posted. both good engines imo

vCash
    don't need to do the tune?
    Don’t need to run 93 premium on a stock 5.0 F150. The regular ecoboosts don’t even require it. A raptor (the highest state of tune Ecoboost) only loses 20 hp running 87 octane fuel compared to 93. I Bet the difference is minimal on a normal ecoboost f150.

vCash
    Don’t need to run 93 premium on a stock 5.0 F150. The regular ecoboosts don’t even require it. A raptor (the highest state of tune Ecoboost) only loses 20 hp running 87 octane fuel compared to 93. I Bet the difference is minimal on a normal ecoboost f150.
    I had read about guys claiming they were getting the pinging on the lower grade fuel.

vCash
    I had read about guys claiming they were getting the pinging on the lower grade fuel.
    Post up that thread. It's an NA engine, it will run fine on 87 with little or no loss of performance. Any slight loss would never be felt in that truck seat of the pants. No need to throw away money on premium

If it was an ecoboost, different story. Time and time again reports show they make more on 93 than 87.

vCash
    dat sport mode doe

eta: read that the new 2021 are being upgraded in the power department too........400hp/500tq
    That's stout!

Gm gonna have to bump the 6 Deuce a bit, or Turbo the 4.3,which would be gangster!

vCash
    yeah 93 alone I can tell a difference in my EB, livernois 93 tune added and my other bolts ons and she moves for a full size truck. disappoint a lot of sports cars from a dig.

we've seen way more phaser issues than 5.0 issues. I wanna say we've replaced one engine for that TSB posted. both good engines imo
    That's good to hear.

vCash
    That's stout!

Gm gonna have to bump the 6 Deuce a bit, or Turbo the 4.3,which would be gangster!
    I wouldn't think 435hp/500tq out of a 6.2 would be that hard. It's already at 420hp/460tq.

The best thing about the 3.5EB though is the torque curve.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I run it because I turn on the little tuner and select “93 performance tune”

The difference between the 93 tune and 87 tune is enormous... so worth it to me to fill up with 93

vCash
    Does anyone else like the Ford Rangers? I've been seeing more and more of them. IMO, that's a perfect size truck. I think if it'd come w/ a 5.0, it'd be hard to beat. It's as big as a full-size from the 90's, which is a much more practical size than the oversized trucks of today.

vCash
    Post up that thread. It's an NA engine, it will run fine on 87 with little or no loss of performance. Any slight loss would never be felt in that truck seat of the pants. No need to throw away money on premium

If it was an ecoboost, different story. Time and time again reports show they make more on 93 than 87.
    It was on another forum about bullets that are yellow

Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Does anyone else like the Ford Rangers? I've been seeing more and more of them. IMO, that's a perfect size truck. I think if it'd come w/ a 5.0, it'd be hard to beat. It's as big as a full-size from the 90's, which is a much more practical size than the oversized trucks of today.
    I saw one yesterday. It was a crew cab 4wd in a ruby red metallic color, it had factory wheels but they were a bright wheel like chrome with raised white letter tires. It really looked sharp. If I didn't have 3 daughters I would have considered the Ranger, definitely so if the 5.0 was an option.

vCash
    they're nice just too small inside for me personally. (6'1) so i'm not that tall. and screw a v8, throw a 3.5 EB in that bitch and i'd happily drive it uncomfortably.

vCash
    I run it because I turn on the little tuner and select “93 performance tune”

The difference between the 93 tune and 87 tune is enormous... so worth it to me to fill up with 93
    Well, yeah. You have a tuned ecoboost. Even the stock ecoboosts benefit from premium. I’ve seen no evidence that the 5.0 will benefit at all, and windham won’t post the evidence about this one guy that maybe experienced knock one day in his 5.0 when it was 105 degrees out and he was pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.

vCash
    Well, yeah. You have a tuned ecoboost. Even the stock ecoboosts benefit from premium. I’ve seen no evidence that the 5.0 will benefit at all, and windham won’t post the evidence about this one guy that maybe experienced knock one day in his 5.0 when it was 105 degrees out and he was pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.
    No it was several guys making the claim and no I won't link you to another thread on a completely different forum, but I gave a pretty blatant hint to the forum. Besides what "proof" are you looking for from a message board? Everything is anecdotal but Ford says it was designed for 87 but 91 or higher may be better so I would rather not risk anything. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind to me.

vCash
    They get mundane reviews from owners.
    Most say it's just barely smaller than an f150.
    They have the most mundane styling of any truck on the road.
    It's a 10yr old design.
    Like every mid size, it has a car engine.

Sharpen up the styling, make it sit like it doesn't look like it's been kicked in the asshole, and definitely the 5.0.

All mid size powerplants are weak. I want to see a more dedicated powerplant.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

They get mundane reviews from owners.
    Most say it's just barely smaller than an f150.
    They have the most mundane styling of any truck on the road.
    It's a 10yr old design.
    Like every mid size, it has a car engine.

Sharpen up the styling, make it sit like it doesn't look like it's been kicked in the asshole, and definitely the 5.0.

All mid size powerplants are weak. I want to see a more dedicated powerplant.
    Powertrain is the main reason I won't even consider a single midsized truck on the market

vCash
    Powertrain is the main reason I won't even consider a single midsized truck on the market
    They offer very little. Size is almost moot, especially when you consider how much towing capicity you give up for literally a few inches. Same for price. All you do is sacrifice by not going half ton.

Tacoma- Camry engine
    Gm twins- Impala engine
    Honda, Ranger, ect. All car engines.
    Imo, given a midsize's current weight, they need 275hp,and 350 ft lbs to be desirable, and a powerband where you don't have to sling them to 7,000 to get it.

Gm twins would be nice with the 4.3,and even nicer with the 5.3.
    I'm not sure if the 5.0 will fit under the Ranger hood. It's a physically big engine. At any rate, the 2.7,and 3.5 should fit eaisly..

vCash
    Don't the GM twins still get a diesel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    They did, not sure if the still do, and it's a nice combination. the main thing that would stop me from getting one is cost, and then the bed size. Interior room is plenty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    New diesels do not appeal to me.
    I prefer something to be reliable, and not have catastrophic issues before 100,000mi.

... and it's weak.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 10-03-2020 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    A half ton Silverado LT would have been easily 10k more than the 30k I got for my Colorado LT. If you're not towing that often (and a Colorado gasser will still do 7k, 7700 for the diesel) it's hard to justify a full size, especially as just a 2nd or 3rd vehicle to beat up making dump runs and driving through winter snow and salt.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    A half ton Silverado LT would have been easily 10k more than the 30k I got for my Colorado LT. If you're not towing that often (and a Colorado gasser will still do 7k, 7700 for the diesel) it's hard to justify a full size, especially as just a 2nd or 3rd vehicle to beat up making dump runs and driving through winter snow and salt.
    I see one in my future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    I see one in my future
    The only thing I dont like about the size is you cant lay a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deej-79 View Post
    The only thing I dont like about the size is you cant lay a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed
    I just had it where the plywood was hanging out the bed with the gate up. That was 3/4" though so more robust than drywall. I have seen guys stack it in the bed and tie it down with the tailgate left down. I think the wheel wells have cutouts for 4x8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I just had it where the plywood was hanging out the bed with the gate up. That was 3/4" though so more robust than drywall. I have seen guys stack it in the bed and tie it down with the tailgate left down. I think the wheel wells have cutouts for 4x8
    Theres not 4' between the wheel wells

vCash
    They offer very little. Size is almost moot, especially when you consider how much towing capicity you give up for literally a few inches. Same for price. All you do is sacrifice by not going half ton.

Tacoma- Camry engine
    Gm twins- Impala engine
    Honda, Ranger, ect. All car engines.
    Imo, given a midsize's current weight, they need 275hp,and 350 ft lbs to be desirable, and a powerband where you don't have to sling them to 7,000 to get it.

Gm twins would be nice with the 4.3,and even nicer with the 5.3.
    I'm not sure if the 5.0 will fit under the Ranger hood. It's a physically big engine. At any rate, the 2.7,and 3.5 should fit eaisly..
    I agree. I've seen several ZR2s like this running around and I think they'd be great w/ a small V8:

Last edited by DANSBIRD; 10-05-2020 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    I agree. I've seen several ZR2s like this running around and I think they'd be great w/ a small V8:

What's crazy is the 4.3l Ecotec nowadays has 285hp/305tq. That's pretty kickass.

The Tacoma has 278hp/265tq.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deej-79 View Post
    Theres not 4' between the wheel wells
    No, there's a notch on top of them though

vCash
    What's crazy is the 4.3l Ecotec nowadays has 285hp/305tq. That's pretty kickass.

The Tacoma has 278hp/265tq.
    Oh, I know today's smaller engines are stout. For me, it goes back to wanting the V8 sound.

vCash
    Oh, I know today's smaller engines are stout. For me, it goes back to wanting the V8 sound.
    Definitely. My 2011 5.3l is rated for 315hp/335tq.

stinkin 4.3l ecotec is right there on the heels...that's ridiculous

vCash

ZR2s are SWEET looking trucks. Eaisly the sharpest of the Midsizes.

vCash
    This is an old thread, but if I lived in the north I wouldn't go near a GM product because they wax coat their frames. Every manufacture of trucks in the United States now use E-coating except GM. You are concerned with your truck getting rust, then you want to make sure you start with the best base to build on.
    That's just my 2 cents

vCash
    GMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    This is an old thread, but if I lived in the north I wouldn't go near a GM product because they wax coat their frames. Every manufacture of trucks in the United States now use E-coating except GM. You are concerned with your truck getting rust, then you want to make sure you start with the best base to build on.
    That's just my 2 cents
    NorthEast. We don't have those problems in the NorthWest.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    The interior space is pretty poor if you have a family of four. That is why I chose the Ridgeline. If I only had my son and not a one year old, I would have gotten the Ranger.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 10-13-2020 at 06:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    That's just my 2 cents
    Supposedly the T1s are better with the application and adhesion. You see a lot of comments about Ford frames with flaking paint on their frames so pick your poision.