Thread: Do we still have someone that works at a GM Dealer here?

vCash

Do we still have someone that works at a GM Dealer here?

I want to verify a part if someone could as I am getting some conflicting part numbers that when searched against visuals of the part it doesn't match what I need.

Basically, the wife's 2014 Buick Regal GS had the Instrument cluster take a dump I guess. I have tried everything I can think of to verify it isn't Fuse related, but I am not sure how to prove if it might be BCM related.

Her screen randomly shut off while going down the road. The rest of the gauge still works, just the screen went black. Checked the brightness, Checked the fuses I could find with a meter, Pulled the battery for a few days, did a trick to try to drain the caps in the BCM, haven't gotten anything out of the screen.

So I took the instrument cluster out to start the replacement process, but between GMPartsdirect, Rockauto, and various other sites they seem to be saying that all clusters fit all models of Regal and the GS screen is different from the rest.

I believe this one is correct, but wanted to cross check if someone could.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

vCash
    And the wife barely made it home in the Jeep from the store and pulled in with the alternator nearly on fire.

Fuck me and this life right now...

Whataburger > *

vCash
    yes

Gearhead SS

vCash
    That's kinda why I don't like all of the manufacturers going to an all-digital cluster. I've seen too many failing and then it's a PITA finding replacements or troubleshooting. Analog seems more reliable. Not that they can't fail. I've seen that too... Just personal preference.

vCash
    I don't work in parts so your best bet is going to be to call your local GM parts department. My guys don't get in a hurry to help with something that they're not making money on. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I don't work in parts so your best bet is going to be to call your local GM parts department. My guys don't get in a hurry to help with something that they're not making money on. lol
    yea, that's kind of why I didn't want to call the local dealer. lol

I didn't want to ask them for something I planned to buy somewhere else (unless they can price match easily).

I threw the instrument cluster back in the car to go get a new Alt for the Jeep. Bright side, it's dead simple to replace, just annoying as shit to have both vehicles down for nearly $400.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    That's kinda why I don't like all of the manufacturers going to an all-digital cluster. I've seen too many failing and then it's a PITA finding replacements or troubleshooting. Analog seems more reliable. Not that they can't fail. I've seen that too... Just personal preference.
    I always worried about that, but I will say googling I ran into a TON of how to fix and replace Buick analog gauges for 80/90/00 Regals and GN. Couldn't find shit for anyone having issues on these screens until I searched the European forums for issues with Opel versions of this car. Figured it's mostly these cars didn't sell well here.
    Last edited by FirehawkNS; 06-06-2020 at 10:02 PM.

vCash
    I don't believe lower trims had the digital cluster, just a smaller display with analog gauges. I do think non GS models had it as an option. If I had to guess the only difference is the GS graphics so I'd imagine it would still work but not sure.
    Last edited by NHRATA01; 06-06-2020 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I don't believe lower trims had the digital cluster, just a smaller display with analog gauges. I do think non GS models had it as an option. If I had to guess the only difference is the GS graphics so I'd imagine it would still work but not sure.
    I wrote GMPARTSDIRECT. They are basically a dealer out of Winston Salem in NC I believe, so they should be able to answer. I wasn't thinking about just writing them because it hurts my brain.

Drove the wife's car Cluster-less to the parts store to get the new alt for the Jeep and threw it in, so at least one thing fixed today. lol The entire inside was black and smelled horrible now so do I from dealing with it.

vCash
    Why not call a dealer, ask for parts dept, give them your vin, and ask for the part, its cost, thr part number, and availability?

They won't wheel and deal with you. Cash over the counter price is the price.

However it would get you answers you need. I was a parts manager for years, that would be a everyday call.

Make it three yards... redy2kss's Avatar

vCash
    Is the label still present on your cluster? It would have the part number on it if so...if not, give me your VIN and I will see what's what.

vCash
    Just checked with my neighbor who works in the parts department. $623. BUTTTTTTTTT! Could take several weeks to get and must be programmed by a dealer.

LS2.com's Airbrush Junkie dagwood's Avatar

vCash
    I work at a body shop that's owned by a Chrysler dealership, and our parts department does price matching all the time. They'd rather sell a part at a discounted price then not sell it at all.

vCash
    Forgot to update this. I had to throw the cluster back in to get to the parts store for the Jeeps alternator and the fucker just came back to life randomly about the 4th time I was jumping in the car that day.

So as of now it's working again.

Freaking electronic gremlins.

vCash
    Thanks for everyone jumping on trying to track it down though. Much appreciated and might still be needed eventually if it goes out completely.

Looking over the Opel forums it looks like there is a known issue with these cars with some connector that transitions somewhere in the dash between the BCM and the cluster that causes this issue. They claim the connector is $40 and fixes the random screen shut off, but I can't find much more in the way of detail. I plan to keep searching while it's working.