Smegol wants! White F150 with the black out appearance package

$58k optioned out
    Lariat
    Super Crew 5.5ft bed
    4x2 3.5L Ecoboost
    Luxury, technology, and max tow packages
    Power fold/telescoping tow mirrors
    360 camera

Since we're pretty committed to this RV thing, I'm thinking down the road when/once the '11 Avalanche's time is done. Gonna be interesting to see what the 2021 F150 redesign brings come here in October. The exterior doesn't look all that changed except the headlights. That interior though, it could use a lot of love on the current model.

I just don't think the Cybertruck would be a good fit for us. ~250 mile range with a trailer would work for weekend trips but not for all day affairs. I thought charging @ campgrounds would be a thing but the 30a service is only @ 120v which is pathetic. I don't want to be that schmuck renting out a 50a site though for that sweet 50a x 240v charge. The 36 gal tank on the F150, yes please!
    Last edited by Mike Hawk; 05-20-2020 at 08:28 PM.

$60k for a two wheel drive truck is crazy to me

vCash
    for a vehicle used primarily for towing I would get a four wheel drive

and lol @ a cyber truck

vCash
    and a diesel

vCash
    Why 4wd? The most I'd ever see "off road" is a buddy's dirt road to his land that's only about 1/4 of a mile long and hard packed = only an issue after a heavy rain. Even then I'd just have to scooch over a tire width to stay out of some ruts. The only thing I need out there is vehicle clearance.

4WD adds weight which takes away from payload capacity, also lowers MPG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    and a diesel
    No one wants a new, POS diesel.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Why 4wd? The most I'd ever see "off road" is a buddy's dirt road to his land that's only about 1/4 of a mile long and hard packed = only an issue after a heavy rain. Even then I'd just have to scooch over a tire width to stay out of some ruts. The only thing I need out there is vehicle clearance.

4WD adds weight which takes away from payload capacity, also lowers MPG.
    It's a lot easier to sell a used 4wd truck than it is a 2wd and you'll almost always get that initial 4x4 cost investment back.

vCash
    Resell isn't a metric I take into consideration

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Resell isn't a metric I take into consideration
    imo, you shouldn't be looking at an F150 if your goal is for towing. If you ever decide to upgrade the RV, then you're going to want a truck that can handle it. I see people buying just enough truck for what they have then they want a bigger camper and they have to buy a new truck too. They buy a 1500 when really they should have bought a 2500.

Most people are just cheap with things like this and then it ends up costing them more down the road. So I fully expect you to do the wrong thing and buy the truck that's just barely enough for what you have now.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 05-20-2020 at 11:35 PM.

vCash
    An F150 with a 3.5 will tow more than most will ever go to in size of camper or boat and same with the 1500.

ZERO reason to buy a 2500 and its added cost and up keep to "just in case" tow something down the road.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    An F150 with a 3.5 will tow more than most will ever go to in size of camper or boat and same with the 1500.

ZERO reason to buy a 2500 and its added cost and up keep to "just in case" tow something down the road.
    Been in the business 20 years and I've seen more people that I can count buy a truck for the camper they have currently and then a year or 2 later they buy a bigger camper and the 2 year old truck can't tow it. I'm not saying he should buy a 2500 now but if I were buying a truck mainly because I want something capable of towing a camper, I'd make sure that I got one with some cushion as far as tow rating goes. That way I'm not having to buy a new truck and a new camper later on.

vCash
    I'm sure my tune might change but I never intend to hang out on a couch inside an RV watching a movie or chit chatting. That's what the camp fire is for.

Might go up one size down the road so we have bigger bunks for the kids, even then you're still only talking ~25 feet @ ~7k lbs. I hope to never see myself in a 30+ footer 10k jobber, 5th wheel, or motor home.

I might see myself going to a 2500 but A) I'm not a truck guy and B) It will never be my daily. Who knows, maybe if I get some mileage under my belt and I have a few white knuckle events going up/down a mountain my tune might change but for now a think a 1500 is just right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Been in the business 20 years and I've seen more people that I can count buy a truck for the camper they have currently and then a year or 2 later they buy a bigger camper and the 2 year old truck can't tow it. I'm not saying he should buy a 2500 now but if I were buying a truck mainly because I want something capable of towing a camper, I'd make sure that I got one with some cushion as far as tow rating goes. That way I'm not having to buy a new truck and a new camper later on.

AS someone that has been on the service side for 15 years and owned a large enough boat for a HD truck I don't agree.

I will never own a 2500 again as I know I wont tow anything that will never need it and the extra cost and upkeep is a complete waste IMO. We have had other boats now that range from 22 - 24 feet and are looking at a 30 now and 100% plan to use a 1500/f-150 ONLY tow it.

Unless Mikes knows or has a feeling he will get to a twin axle and possible 5th wheel rig, then he should go to a 2500 series. If he is happy at or near his camper size now, the be smart and don't over spend on a truck you will never need.

Registered Member

vCash
    Who knows, maybe if I get some mileage under my belt and I have a few white knuckle events going up/down a mountain my tune might change but for now a think a 1500 is just right.
    The the appropriate time to change your mind is not after you almost fly off a mountain.

vCash
    AS someone that has been on the service side for 15 years and owned a large enough boat for a HD truck I don't agree.

I will never own a 2500 again as I know I wont tow anything that will never need it and the extra cost and upkeep is a complete waste IMO. We have had other boats now that range from 22 - 24 feet and are looking at a 30 now and 100% plan to use a 1500/f-150 ONLY tow it.

Unless Mikes knows or has a feeling he will get to a twin axle and possible 5th wheel rig, then he should go to a 2500 series. If he is happy at or near his camper size now, the be smart and don't over spend on a truck you will never need.
    what about 4wd?

vCash

A new ford or GM 2500 gasser isn’t going to cost any more to maintain than a 1500. In some ways maybe even less. For instance, the brakes are heavier duty and last forever. My dads 04 2500 HD brakes showed no appreciable wear on pads or rotors at 80k miles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    A new ford or GM 2500 gasser isn’t going to cost any more to maintain than a 1500. In some ways maybe even less. For instance, the brakes are heavier duty and last forever. My dads 04 2500 HD brakes showed no appreciable wear on pads or rotors at 80k miles.
    The basic scheduled maintain will still over come the cost, then add in the lost value of resale on a 2500 gasser.

They are great trucks but the over cost to maintain 100% is more than that of a 1500 series.

vCash
    what about 4wd?
    8 like 4xr but I also refuse to go mudding lol.

That said I will 99% buy a 4x4 again in my next truck lol.

vCash

They are great trucks but the over cost to maintain 100% is more than that of a 1500 series.
    Why? The entire drivetrain is from the same family, so besides some marginally higher fluid capacity, reliability and serviceability will be nearly identical. Body is the same. Suspension is heavier duty but no less reliable or susceptible to wear. Seriously man, you're wrong. Dont care that you worked for GM. I've been a tech for GM, and service writers were commonly wrong
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 05-21-2020 at 03:49 AM.

vCash
    no duraburb no care

vCash
    Gamer IDs

This is true. I'd trust a gas 2500 more than a 1500 with towing more than 10k pounds. I know that all of the manufacturers offer half tons rated over 10k towing but a 2500 just handles that much weight easier.

vCash
    plus hawk is buying this vehicle specifically for towing and not for daily driving

plus cost isn't an issue

diesel > gas

vCash
    so that means he will probably end up buying some bullshit stripper long bed v6 work truck

vCash
    Why? The entire drivetrain is from the same family, so besides some marginally higher fluid capacity, reliability and serviceability will be nearly identical. Body is the same. Suspension is heavier duty but no less reliable or susceptible to wear. Seriously man, you're wrong. Dont care that you worked for GM. I've been a tech for GM, and service writers were commonly wrong
    Higher up front cost, high fluid capacity, larger resale, and more extensive and expensive major repairs (they all brake).

I am not knocking a 2500 but let's get real, it cost more to buy and own in the end and that is regardless of brand than a 1500 of equal drive and miles with light duty towing within its designed range.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 05-21-2020 at 04:44 AM.

so that means he will probably end up buying some bullshit stripper long bed v6 work truck
    Well, yeah. There is no other conclusion here

vCash
    This is true. I'd trust a gas 2500 more than a 1500 with towing more than 10k pounds. I know that all of the manufacturers offer half tons rated over 10k towing but a 2500 just handles that much weight easier.
    no one is arguing it handles it better, of course it fucking does.

For the added cost though it is always worth it is all. I know this as someone that will never again own a 2500 for towing what I do and for the amount of time I do which would be on par with light travel trailer hauling.

If you are going to tow often and all over then ya....go for the big dog or if you just want to look cooler.

vCash
    Higher up front cost, high fluid capacity, larger resale, and more extensive and expensive major repairs (they all brake).

I am not knocking a 2500 but let's get real, it cost more to buy and own in the end and that is regardless of brand than a 1500 of equal drive and miles with light duty towing within its designed range.
    Whoa hold on. I specifically talked about maintenance costs. And yeah, you can’t really find a reason to say they’re more to maintain. Not sure on the new HD gas motors oil capacity, but the old ones had the same oil capacity, and the differentials and cooling system and trans only carried marginally more fluid. 20-30$ more per year in fluids isnt even worth mentioning.

And even if you want to get into the subject of cost to buy and own, I think you’re wrong there too. Hawk referenced a half ton that cost 58 grand and was two wheel drive. I bet I am get a shitload of 2500 gasser for 58 grand. I know gearhead will back me up on that too.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 05-21-2020 at 05:19 AM.

vCash
    If you're talking a gasser 2500, no way do I see that it's going to have substantially higher maintenance costs. Heck the last gen the 6.0 (not sure about the new 6.6) didn't even have AFM like the 1500 5.3's so one less thing to worry about long term.

Starminator Wars 2: Judgement Force ScotWithOne_R/T's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Raptr ID: WhatinthefuckisRaptr
    Incoming Subaru Forester STi with washer-mod.

vCash
    Whoa hold on. I specifically talked about maintenance costs. And yeah, you can’t really find a reason to say they’re more to maintain. Not sure on the new HD gas motors oil capacity, but the old ones had the same oil capacity, and the differentials and cooling system and trans only carried marginally more fluid. 20-30$ more per year in fluids isnt even worth mentioning.

And even if you want to get into the subject of cost to buy and own, I think you’re wrong there too. Hawk referenced a half ton that cost 58 grand and was two wheel drive. I bet I am get a shitload of 2500 gasser for 58 grand. I know gearhead will back me up on that too.

You are not getting a Shit load of 2500 gassers at $58k new, are you getting some....of course and they will be more stripped down in options then the F-150 linked for $58k.

If it was just as cheap to buy and own a new gasser 2500 then there would be little to no need for a 1500 market.

If you go used then sure, you can make up the upfront cost as well as the depreciation hit but now we are comparing a used truck to a new one and it isnt apple to apple any more.

vCash
    If available, get the longer bed. I have the 5'7" bed on my RAM and wish I had gone with the 6'4" bed instead.

The heaviest that I've towed with my RAM is a 6998 pound Airstream. It did fine but I have also added Timber Grove Enterprises Air Bags to handle the extra weight. However, because that particular trailer was so heavy (for me) I really wish that I had a weight-distribution/anti-sway hitch. I did not and had to drive 60 mph because if I tried to go any faster the tail would wag the dog.

I would also like to echo Gearhead's recommendation of 4X4. I mean, as often as YOU change out your vehicles it would definitely help in the resale department.

vCash
    If I had to replace my Silverado it would be with that truck minus the luxury stuff and with 4wd. I hate getting gas with the travel trailer and that 36 gallon tank would be killer for towing range. That said my 4spd 5.3 does just find with 6500lbs and will probably outlast me

vCash
    I don’t disagree with your point, but your experience has a sampling bias. You primarily see the people who return. You don’t see the people who don’t return because they never needed to upgrade

vCash
    a half ton now has the weight of and as strong of a drivetrain as 90s 3/4 ton with better brakes.

also, i hope he gets the 2wd and cheaps out on the locker and gets stuck the first time.
    Last edited by ill deuce; 05-22-2020 at 02:24 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You are not getting a Shit load of 2500 gassers at $58k new, are you getting some....of course and they will be more stripped down in options then the F-150 linked for $58k.

If it was just as cheap to buy and own a new gasser 2500 then there would be little to no need for a 1500 market.

If you go used then sure, you can make up the upfront cost as well as the depreciation hit but now we are comparing a used truck to a new one and it isnt apple to apple any more.
    2500HD LTZ Z71 4wd for $57,755. The difference will come down to what you can actually buy one for. Half tons almost always have heavy rebates and incentives. HD trucks don't normally offer the same incentives. So, you can almost always get the half ton for less because of the rebates offered.

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/sil...stalCode=75401
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 05-22-2020 at 03:40 AM.

vCash
    2500HD LTZ Z71 4wd for $57,755. The difference will come down to what you can actually buy one for. Half tons almost always have heavy rebates and incentives. HD trucks don't normally offer the same incentives. So, you can almost always get the half ton for less because of the rebates offered.

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/sil...stalCode=75401
    Suffice to say though, a pretty damn well equipped 2500HD truck for 58k. And I know you can get them for significantly less if you just want the overall capability without all the bells and whistles.

vCash
    I just bought a gas f250 (7.3L) a couple months ago. $46k - fx4 package, standard options nothing special (cloth interior, power windows, manual seats, etc). It’s a lot of truck for $46k

vCash
    All 100% true.

Mpg notwithstanding, a gas 2500, is a damn solid vehicle. Probably one of the most reliable,longest lasting vehicles made.

vCash
    Suffice to say though, a pretty damn well equipped 2500HD truck for 58k. And I know you can get them for significantly less if you just want the overall capability without all the bells and whistles.

I built/priced a 6.6 gas, z71, quad cab WT trim, but still optioned it with power everything, higher end audio, cloth floor, 20in wheels, and all the towing stuff. Came out to $44k.

Around here, you can get a Tradesman Ram, 6.4, optioned pretty nicely for $37k.
    Not a huge Ram fan, but I believe their 2500s are solid, and they now have the 8spd zf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthyoo View Post
    I just bought a gas f250 (7.3L) a couple months ago. $46k - fx4 package, standard options nothing special (cloth interior, power windows, manual seats, etc). It’s a lot of truck for $46k
    I remember seeing your thread.
    That's the exact truck I'd get if I was buying today.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    I built/priced a 6.6 gas, z71, quad cab WT trim, but still optioned it with power everything, higher end audio, cloth floor, 20in wheels, and all the towing stuff. Came out to $44k.

Around here, you can get a Tradesman Ram, 6.4, optioned pretty nicely for $37k.
    Not a huge Ram fan, but I believe their 2500s are solid, and they now have the 8spd zf.
    That's a lot of truck for 37k.....

A used vehicle wholesaler I keep an eye on has 2019 ram 2500 bighorns (15k miles) with the Cummins for 41-42.....thats a pretty solid deal if thats what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TreeGreenZ; 05-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.

vCash
    Mike have you considered a gently used 1992 extended cab Nissan pickup?

vCash
    1965 3/4 ton GMC?

vCash
    '01 Honda Civic EX?

Who's a good girl!? JRothschild13's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Barricade013 PSN ID: Stormshadow13
    '92 Subaru BRAT

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    '76 Chevy Luv w/454

vCash

2020 LTZ Z71 $57k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164198166373

Ain't no way I'd choose a 2wd half ton at the same price

vCash
    92 5.0 with dumped flows and a trailer hitch?

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beeler422 View Post
    2020 LTZ Z71 $57k

BRB gotta spend the afternoon cleaning my grills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beeler422 View Post
    2020 LTZ Z71 $57k

OP just wants the truck in the original post because of that way it looks and ecoboost. Not because it's the best choice for the intended use. Fail

vCash
    That Chevy is hideous, and I've been a GM fanboi all my life.

vCash
    That Chevy is hideous, and I've been a GM fanboi all my life.
    I agree. But with the right color and package they can look good. I saw one on the road the other day that I liked. But the point is the same. No way I'd buy a half ton 2wd for the same as a 2500 4wd.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    I think you should get this one.

https://www.jerrysfordofleesburg.net...7W2BT2LED23926

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LS2.com's Airbrush Junkie dagwood's Avatar

vCash
    You couldn't give a 2 wheel drive truck away here in Iowa.

I would also recommend a 3/4 ton 4wd for all of the reasons stated above. You would be soooo much happier in the long run!

Those little diesels are not power monsters when you're pulling a trailer... Pull a trailer with one of those through some hills and you'll want to shoot yourself for buying one.
    Last edited by dagwood; 05-26-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    I'm sure my tune might change but I never intend to hang out on a couch inside an RV watching a movie or chit chatting. That's what the camp fire is for.

Might go up one size down the road so we have bigger bunks for the kids, even then you're still only talking ~25 feet @ ~7k lbs. I hope to never see myself in a 30+ footer 10k jobber, 5th wheel, or motor home.

I might see myself going to a 2500 but A) I'm not a truck guy and B) It will never be my daily. Who knows, maybe if I get some mileage under my belt and I have a few white knuckle events going up/down a mountain my tune might change but for now a think a 1500 is just right.

If you keep your camper under the 24ft mark there is literally 5x more campsites you can pull into. A 40ft toyhauler 5th wheel is nice, but have fun camping in a KOA or Walmart parking lot.

I currently have a 27ft travel trailer and my 5.0 F-150 pulls it with ease once I installed air bags, for a family of 5 it is a good balance between space and flexibly but I would consider going smaller.