Thread: Talk to me about the Jeep JL generation.

Registered Member

vCash

Talk to me about the Jeep JL generation.

I haven't driven a Jeep Wrangler in quite a few years but I did rent one (things are super cheap to rent for some reason) recently and I was really impressed by the road manners the thing has. Kept it for six days before I went back home and I think I have found my new DD. Unlimited Sport or Unlimited Sport S with a hardtop in Granite Crystal Metallic seem to be what I'm looking for and I do not need the off road performance of the Rubicon nor do I care for the luxury features of the Sahara. The 4 cylinder turbo seems to be a no cost option so which would be better? The one I drove had the V6 and seemed fine for what it was. From a option stand point is should I check off anything on the box when I'm ordering? The JL has been around since 2018 and I was wondering has any sort of issues developed with these Jeeps since it is still a Chrysler product.

vCash
    The 2.0L 4-cylinder is a great option, but it is not a no-cost option. IIRC, it's $2k more. Performance wise, it's splitting hairs b/t it and a 3.6L. The 2.0 gets better MPG than the 3.6, but it is recommended it run high-octane, which kinda evens out the benefit. They also say it tends to run hot easier when towing (If you use it to tow a lot, buy something else), so if you're planning on towing much, I might would go w/ the 3.6L, but sounds like this isn't something you'll be doing w/ it, so you'll be fine w/ it. You'll be happy w/ either route.

CT Morgan recommended I get the LED package when I ordered mine. I did and I'm REALLY glad I did b/c of how many people are trying to get it/regret not getting it.

A lot of people love the proximity lock option. IIRC, it's around $500. The key fob is ridiculously and needlessly huge. You'll like keeping that thing tucked away and unlocking/locking your Jeep simply by being close to it.

I'd also opt for the 8.4" informant system (Again, CT Morgan recommended it and I'm glad I went for it)

I'd also get the towing package b/c of all it comes with. Pre-run auxiliary switches, trailer lights, larger alternator/battery.

The warm-weather package is awesome, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute must, though I do love it.

And OP, for what you're looking for, I doubt you'll have to order it. You're also bound to get a heck of a discount on one, too. They've got quite the surplus on them right now.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-03-2020 at 01:50 AM.

"C-c-c-c-ombo Breaker!!" jeeplaw's Avatar

vCash
    Oh boy, backtrack to the other jeep thread, a bunch of us own one and gave our opinions. I DD mine, and I'm lifted on 37s and think it's just fine - but who knows, maybe I'm strange lol

Theres been a bunch of growing issues since 2018, bad welds on the '18, numerous radio issues, and some manual transmissions have been punching holes in the housing for various reasons. Oh, and the lack of good steering feel and the occasional death wobble...

Which, btw, I havent experienced any of those things and my '19 has been good to me.

But yea, do your research. I opted not to go with the 2.0 because theres a shit ton of extra plumbing under the hood I didnt want to mess with if I was going to start modding and wrenching.

All personal choice though. With 4.10s in my Rubi, she turns the 37s "ok". If you are planning on a lift or bigger tires, you're going to have to do extra work to make that happen depending how big you want to go.

vCash
    I didn't get the feeling the OP was going to go much larger than stock, if any larger than stock.

And a 2.5" on 37's is perfect, IMO.

I've considered the 3.5", but I'm not liking the look as much w/ 37's as I am the 2.5". If I were going 40's, I'd probably opt for the 3.5". Doubt that'll happen though... that's pushing it w/ the D44's.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-03-2020 at 01:44 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    Not gonna lie this thing will probably stay stock. Right now I have this as setup.

EXTERIOR
    Exterior Colors: Granite Crystal Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint $195
    Wheels: 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels $0
    Tires: 245/75R17 All-Season Tires $0
    Doors: Hinge-Gate Reinforcement by Mopar® $675
    Tops: Black 3-Piece Hard Top $1,195
    INTERIOR
    Interior Colors: Black Interior Color $0
    Seat Types: Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats $0
    Sound Systems: Uconnect® 4 with 7-Inch Display $0
    PACKAGES
    Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group $795
    Technology Group $995
    LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group $745
    POWERTRAIN
    Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS $0
    Transmissions: 8-Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission $2,750
    Axles: Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle $595
    Gear Ratios: 3.45 Overall Top Gear Ratio $0.

Honestly if I could have drove home and kept my rental I would have lol. A very basic Jeep I know. On the hinge gate what is that exactly? I'm guessing a stronger gate for people who large MT and AT tires?

vCash
    I'd ditch the hinge gate reinforcement... especially if you're keeping it stock. 100% will not be needed. If you decide you want larger tires and justify having the gate reinforced, there are better aftermarket ones out there for cheaper.

I'd use the money from the gate reinforcement and put it into the 8.4" screen.

Registered Member

vCash
    I was wondering why I could not find the 8.4 inch screen. Apparently on the Jeep website it is limited to Sahara models and above.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    I was wondering why I could not find the 8.4 inch screen. Apparently on the Jeep website it is limited to Sahara models and above.
    Oh... weird. In that case, nevermind.

I'd either safe $675 or put it towards another option. It'd get you the proximity locks, which are nice. They cannot be added later.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-03-2020 at 02:13 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    I called the dealer the salesman said he could make it happen if I wanted it done that way. He tried to get me to come in for a test drive and to fill out the paper work but I'm actually in isolation pending a COVID-19 test. He said that is fine we have masks, gloves, and Lysol for our customers. I was like nope sorry not worth the risk to everyone else.

vCash
    Granite crystal is a good choice.

vCash
    What's the latest on that hipo turbo I6 that was supposedly coming to the Gladiator?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Not gonna lie this thing will probably stay stock.

vCash
    working a deal right now for this one...have it shipped here
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4377/overview/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    $58,470 msrp?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    Granite crystal is a good choice.

Looks like pretty rough terrain Jack. Better add a 4 inch lift, 37 inch swampers, beadlock wheels, rock rails, custom bumpers, a winch, a bunch of LED offroad lights, spare gas cans, and a "if you can read this, flip me over" spare tire cover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Looks like pretty rough terrain Jack. Better add a 4 inch lift, 37 inch swampers, beadlock wheels, rock rails, custom bumpers, a winch, a bunch of LED offroad lights, spare gas cans, and a "if you can read this, flip me over" spare tire cover.
    You forgot Salt Life

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    You forgot Salt Life

Registered Member

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jack Daniels;18601715]$58,470 msrp? [/QUOT]

That is another thing I was wondering. Will dealers actually wiggle on Wranglers? I remember at one point Jeeps were like FJ's in which you basically always paid sticker.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Cerwin Vega Fan;18601891]
    $58,470 msrp? [/QUOT]

That is another thing I was wondering. Will dealers actually wiggle on Wranglers? I remember at one point Jeeps were like FJ's in which you basically always paid sticker.
    I bet they will now. It might be to your advantage to delay a month or so.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Cerwin Vega Fan;18601891]
    $58,470 msrp? [/QUOT]

People haven't paid sticker for a Wrangler in a long time. Well, those who did researching beforehand. I paid invoice for mine, which was considerably below MSRP.

Some have gotten them for up to 12% below sticker, IIRC. I'm guessing that'd be even more prevalent in today's market.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-04-2020 at 08:18 PM.

vCash
    yeah im paying no where near 58k for that...
    but wife wanted it loaded out...so it's still a shit ton more than i want to spend for a damn jeep

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: b1er99
    Join tread lightly and get it for 1% below invoice no haggling no bitching... mine stickered for 49k and was out the door at 42.

vCash
    There are quite a few dealerships that have been selling them for 6% or more under invoice. Do a search on the FB groups. There is a list.

The closest to me was in Houston. I talked to them and was going to go that route, but a local dealership got low enough that it didn't justify going all the way to Houston for it.

"C-c-c-c-ombo Breaker!!" jeeplaw's Avatar

vCash
    By the way, just did a 17 hour trip with 3 (maybe 4) stops for gas. Jeep was comfy to drive in and no issues lifted on 37s. Yea, there are much better cruisers out there, but the jeep was just fine imo..leather seats were supportive and non-fatiguing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    There are quite a few dealerships that have been selling them for 6% or more under invoice. Do a search on the FB groups. There is a list.

The closest to me was in Houston. I talked to them and was going to go that route, but a local dealership got low enough that it didn't justify going all the way to Houston for it.
    6% under invoice is pretty strong.

We still haven't gotten one but she needs to very soon. Her lease was up last month and she extended it another 6 mos. She's got Rubicon taste with a sport budget lol.

Registered Member

vCash
    Well I got laid off a little over a month ago so yeah that kinda killed my new vehicle ideas. Now I did rent a Gladiator when I came back to KC and I will say I do prefer that over the regular JL. I prefer having the bed and extra length.