Thread: GM 8 speed transmission fix

vCash

GM 8 speed transmission fix

After reading here and other places that the latest fix is replacing transmission fluid, I took in my ATS. Service guy told me they don't do it for 8 speed transmissions and at this time there is no fix. He also mentioned that he called GM to double check if there is anything that can be done, they said no. What gives?

Big Red

vCash
    Not sure if this is the latest TSB but this would cover your ATS. TSB #18-NA-355. If the dealer doesn't want to do anything for you, find another. Perhaps GM is giving minimal $ to do this job and some dealers don't want to take on the work.

On my Z06 which I think has a minor shudder, I brought it in and they had to hook up a bunch of equipment to identify the shudder frequency. They did a screenshot of the frequency which occurred in 8th gear cruising on the highway and sent that in for approval. They changed the fluid that day and I was told to drive 200 miles.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Send me the vin and I can check to see if there is a TSB for your car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Send me the vin and I can check to see if there is a TSB for your car.
    I'm picking up the car later today. I'll send the vin then. Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdWS6 View Post
    Not sure if this is the latest TSB but this would cover your ATS. TSB #18-NA-355. If the dealer doesn't want to do anything for you, find another. Perhaps GM is giving minimal $ to do this job and some dealers don't want to take on the work.

On my Z06 which I think has a minor shudder, I brought it in and they had to hook up a bunch of equipment to identify the shudder frequency. They did a screenshot of the frequency which occurred in 8th gear cruising on the highway and sent that in for approval. They changed the fluid that day and I was told to drive 200 miles.
    With the trucks I heard GM even instructed the dealers not to bother road testing and just do the fluid swap (if it hasn't been done) no questions asked.

I have a Colorado with a 1/19 build date which is 2 months prior to the fluid becoming the factory fill. Thus far at 3500 miles no shudder yet.

ATS has the same 8L45 as my Colorado, but to my knowledge the 45 and the 90 suffer the same shuddering issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    With the trucks I heard GM even instructed the dealers not to bother road testing and just do the fluid swap (if it hasn't been done) no questions asked.

I have a Colorado with a 1/19 build date which is 2 months prior to the fluid becoming the factory fill. Thus far at 3500 miles no shudder yet.

ATS has the same 8L45 as my Colorado, but to my knowledge the 45 and the 90 suffer the same shuddering issue.
    It's a 2018 ATS so if this fluid change is a thing it should definitely be included.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64120-9999.pdf

This should be definitely be done if it hasn't already.

They may be mistaking your issue with the #16-NA-361 bulletin which is for a harsh 1-2 shift on first shift of the day. There is no fix for that issue as it is considered normal and will not affect trans life or durability.

vCash
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64120-9999.pdf

This should be definitely be done if it hasn't already.

They may be mistaking your issue with the #16-NA-361 bulletin which is for a harsh 1-2 shift on first shift of the day. There is no fix for that issue as it is considered normal and will not affect trans life or durability.
    Well shit, 1-2 harsh shift is the issue i'm having. I was under impression that fluid change fix works for that too. That said, it's most definitely not happening only on the first shift of the day....more like 80% of the 1-2 shifts. I'd strongly disagree with GM that a transmission shifting so poorly is normal.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Bosnian View Post
    Well shit, 1-2 harsh shift is the issue i'm having. I was under impression that fluid change fix works for that too. That said, it's most definitely not happening only on the first shift of the day....more like 80% of the 1-2 shifts. I'd strongly disagree with GM that a transmission shifting so poorly is normal.
    Ahh, I see. Well, you could always just have them do the new flush and see if that helps your hard shift issue. I've never experienced one doing it that often. They ALL do it on the 1-2 shift while cold.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 03-11-2020 at 12:49 AM.

vCash
    Ahh, I see. Well, you could always just have them do the new flush and see if that helps your hard shift issue. I've never experienced one doing it that often. They ALL do it on the 1-2 shift while cold.
    I have 9 months to go on the lease so at this point I'll just let it go. Damn thing is embarrassing, it's very noticeable. Oh well.

Big Red

vCash
    You are paying for the car for the next 9 months. Have them perform the TSB's in a day and enjoy it for the time you have it left.

vCash
    You are paying for the car for the next 9 months. Have them perform the TSB's in a day and enjoy it for the time you have it left.
    There doesn't appear to be a fix so I'm just wasting everyone's time.

Registered Member TransAmDriver's Avatar

vCash
    GM standard operating condition.
    I did the GM delete mod, best decision ever.

Big Red

vCash
    There doesn't appear to be a fix so I'm just wasting everyone's time.
    Plenty of owners reported the fluid change fixed their issues. For others, the torque converter is toast so the fluid did nothing. Its your time/money but I'd figure its worth a shot to have the free TSB done if that meant a better experience for the next 9 months.

vCash
    Plenty of owners reported the fluid change fixed their issues. For others, the torque converter is toast so the fluid did nothing. Its your time/money but I'd figure its worth a shot to have the free TSB done if that meant a better experience for the next 9 months.
    I hear ya, a car should perform as expected. I just don't feel like putting in more of my time into this, considering it's going back in a few months. My next car will not have the same transmission, that's for sure.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Worst transmission ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Worst transmission ever.
    False.

Try a 5r55 from a 2002-2004 Ford Explorer, my previous daily.

Transmission failures due to leaking in the servo bores of mid gear and over drive gear servos. Why? the bore was machined from the case of the transmission, which is fucking soft aluminum.....while the pin of the servo was HARDENED STEEL. Gee...what the fuck could go wrong there? I hope the dipshit that came up with that idea got a hardened steel servo pin up his funky asshole.

Ford did not bother to recall, warranty, or help consumers whose transmissions failed (like mine) under these conditions.

vCash
    Not to hijack, but looking at 16-18 Escalades, are they affected too?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
    Not to hijack, but looking at 16-18 Escalades, are they affected too?
    they seem to be pretty reliable and smooth after the fluid change

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Worst transmission ever.
    Nah. They've had the shuddering issues(before the new fluid was developed) but I haven't seen a bunch of them actually failing.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 03-13-2020 at 08:08 PM.

vCash
    Nah. They've had the shuddering issues(before the new fluid was developed) but I haven't seen a bunch of them actually failing.
    It's a poor transmission. Failing or not failing, rough shifting is not acceptable. My 1998 cargo van shifts smoother.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

It's a poor transmission. Failing or not failing, rough shifting is not acceptable. My 1998 cargo van shifts smoother.
    Mine shifts very smooth after the flush and new fluid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    Mine shifts very smooth after the flush and new fluid.
    GM says new fluid does nothing for rough shifting.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

GM says new fluid does nothing for rough shifting.
    mine had only a slight rough 1-2 shift when cold. Now its completely gone after the flush.

vCash
    mine had only a slight rough 1-2 shift when cold. Now its completely gone after the flush.
    It's not that I don't believe you but GM doesn't want to do it and I'm not paying for it.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

It's not that I don't believe you but GM doesn't want to do it and I'm not paying for it.
    Oh I wasn't implying that you don't believe me. I just think your dealer is shitting on you. They should at least try the fluid flush and see if your problem goes away.

vCash
    Oh I wasn't implying that you don't believe me. I just think your dealer is shitting on you. They should at least try the fluid flush and see if your problem goes away.
    Based on what dealer and Gearhed SS told us, GM doesn't think fluid flush cures this issue so they won't pay for it. Dealer not gonna eat the cost and I understand that. I won't pay because the car goes back in a few months. We are having a Mexican standoff.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Based on what dealer and Gearhed SS told us, GM doesn't think fluid flush cures this issue so they won't pay for it. Dealer not gonna eat the cost and I understand that. I won't pay because the car goes back in a few months. We are having a Mexican standoff.
    Still seems odd. When the new fluid came out I was under the impression they were supposed switch all vehicles. They weren't even required to test for the shudder. How many miles on it btw?

vCash
    Still seems odd. When the new fluid came out I was under the impression they were supposed switch all vehicles. They weren't even required to test for the shudder. How many miles on it btw?
    I was under same impression. That's why I took it in. 21k miles.

Registered Member

vCash
    I’ve had 2 torque converters installed under warranty and it didn’t go away. They did the new flush about 10000 miles ago and I haven’t had the issue come back. Sometimes in stop and go traffic it will have a rough 1-2 shift but it seems more like a tuning issue then the trans itself. 2016 Camaro SS

vCash
    Just go in and complain about the issue that will get them to do a flush.

My anecdotal evidence of the 8 speeds... I've driven several tahoes/suburbans and camaros with the 8 speed. I've experienced a mildly harsh 1-2 shift but never any other issues. Maybe those were all new enough vehicles that the problems were fixed by that point

vCash
    So, I bought the ‘17 Escalade I asked about above. It’s shifts are buttery smooth with 48k miles on it. Hopefully the issues won’t show up in the future.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
    So, I bought the ‘17 Escalade I asked about above. It’s shifts are buttery smooth with 48k miles on it. Hopefully the issues won’t show up in the future.
    There are a ton of them out there that have never had a single issue. I have a customer that always buys the first new gen Escalade we get and he put 100k miles on his 2015 with no issues.

vCash
    A8 issues were starting to show up on my 2016 Camaro. That was my excuse for trading it in for a new SS 1LE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER View Post
    A8 issues were starting to show up on my 2016 Camaro. That was my excuse for trading it in for a new SS 1LE