Thread: Anybody have experience with Cooper Discoverer AT3s?

website consultant youcancallmedaddy's Avatar

vCash

Anybody have experience with Cooper Discoverer AT3s?

I'm looking at them for the F150. The plan is a 2" level and 295/70r18s which are about 34". I was looking at BFG AT K02s but I heard a lot of horror stories about them sliding around in the rain and I live in the PNW. The AT3s are supposed to be great in the rain, go 50,000+ miles, they have a great warranty and I think they look great.

So, anybody have them? Good, bad or indifferent?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmedaddy View Post
    I'm looking at them for the F150. The plan is a 2" level and 295/70r18s which are about 34". I was looking at BFG AT K02s but I heard a lot of horror stories about them sliding around in the rain and I live in the PNW. The AT3s are supposed to be great in the rain, go 50,000+ miles, they have a great warranty and I think they look great.

So, anybody have them? Good, bad or indifferent?
    Well I will tell you a couple things....basically that's kind of bullshit.....from what I understand it was the original KO not the KO2 that had that problem. The KO2 is one of the best and most popular AT tire.

That said they dont make them (or at least didnt) in 295/70r18s or else I would have them on my truck.

I have ran coopers in the past and had good luck with them, my family runs them a lot (including the at3's).

I will add another tire to look at which may be my next tire and it is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W with the snowflake symbol on them. They seem to get great reviews and are priced right. They will probably be the next tire I get, if I keep the truck long enough lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Cooper makes a great tire, AT3 being one of them. I've ran multiple sets on trucks, Jeeps and so has my father with no complaints. They just redesigned the entire lineup, there's multiple editions of the AT3 now depending on size and application.

If you're thinking Cooper, I'm a huge fan of the STT Pro's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
    Cooper makes a great tire, AT3 being one of them. I've ran multiple sets on trucks, Jeeps and so has my father with no complaints. They just redesigned the entire lineup, there's multiple editions of the AT3 now depending on size and application.

If you're thinking Cooper, I'm a huge fan of the STT Pro's.
    Thanks. Yeah I had wanted the 4S but they don't make it in the size I want. I'm going for about 34.x" or so and I think they only go up to 32" so I have to go with the XLTs.

Registered Member

vCash
    I am currently running 275/70/18's on my truck. There has been no traction issues until recently when the weather is really cold and it is wet out, but I would have to say that has more to do with the tire being past the wear bar on back. When I replace them, I will be going back with the coopers. They are really good tires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swey00 View Post
    I am currently running 275/70/18's on my truck. There has been no traction issues until recently when the weather is really cold and it is wet out, but I would have to say that has more to do with the tire being past the wear bar on back. When I replace them, I will be going back with the coopers. They are really good tires.
    Sounds good. From what I understand they're pretty quiet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post
    Well I will tell you a couple things....basically that's kind of bullshit.....from what I understand it was the original KO not the KO2 that had that problem. The KO2 is one of the best and most popular AT tire.

That said they dont make them (or at least didnt) in 295/70r18s or else I would have them on my truck.

I have ran coopers in the past and had good luck with them, my family runs them a lot (including the at3's).

I will add another tire to look at which may be my next tire and it is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W with the snowflake symbol on them. They seem to get great reviews and are priced right. They will probably be the next tire I get, if I keep the truck long enough lol.

I've heard that too but there's also a lot of stuff on the forums about K02s not stopping in the rain. I've also read about how good they are which is what drew me to them in the first place.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I've heard that too but there's also a lot of stuff on the forums about K02s not stopping in the rain. I've also read about how good they are which is what drew me to them in the first place.
    Yeah I see that to....like 3/4's say they are amazing. And a 1/4 say they are terrible.....almost like the ones who hate them dont run them and are just hating. I know i have never had an issue in 55k miles.

vCash
    I've heard great things about the Coopers.

Rise early. Work hard. STRIKE OIL! CT Morgan's Avatar

vCash
    The KO2 is a fantastic tire. The wet traction complaints don't make sense at all. Either someone is running a tire well past its useable life, or they are full of shit.

Registered Member

vCash
    Just switched from KO2s to Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Definitely better wet traction than the KO2. Also about $100 a tire cheaper. Pretty sure they make them in the size your looking for. I’d definitely check them out.

Registered Member TransAmDriver's Avatar

vCash
    Just make sure you get a LT tire not a P rated tire.

Coopers are good tires. Good friend of mine just ran STT Pros in the King of the Hammers stock class and didn’t have a single issue.

Original KO’s were bad in the rain, new ones not so much.
    Last edited by TransAmDriver; 02-28-2020 at 12:39 AM.

vCash
    I have always run Michelin's on my 3500 and had zero issues with the rain here in the PNW. They last a long time too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post
    Yeah I see that to....like 3/4's say they are amazing. And a 1/4 say they are terrible.....almost like the ones who hate them dont run them and are just hating. I know i have never had an issue in 55k miles.

Fair enough; I appreciate your input!

vCash
    i have 285/65/20 K02's = (35" tire) right now...no complaints with wet traction.
    they are starting to ride a little ruff, but i have 66K miles on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I have always run Michelin's on my 3500 and had zero issues with the rain here in the PNW. They last a long time too.
    I've got Michelins on there now and they're okay, but I want to level it and go a little bigger on the tire to fill out the wheel wells. As I said I'm on pavement the vast majority of the time but I would like to have some safety margin if I want to head up some logging roads in the summer as well as the snow we seem to be getting a lot more of here now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Morgan View Post
    The KO2 is a fantastic tire. The wet traction complaints don't make sense at all. Either someone is running a tire well past its useable life, or they are full of shit.
    They're the standard against which all ATs are measured and that says a lot.

Registered Member

vCash
    Mine are getting a bit louder, but that is just because the tread is low. Otherwise, when they were newer they were pretty quiet.

vCash
    I have run Cooper and Falken on my truck and been happy with both. My truck never leaves pavement since it has the little Vortec V6 and is 2WD, so no idea on how either does offroad.

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmDriver View Post
    Just make sure you get a LT tire not a P rated tire.

Coopers are good tires. Good friend of mine just ran STT Pros in the King of the Hammers stock class and didn’t have a single issue.

Original KO’s were bad in the rain, new ones not so much.
    I came in to post this- put the P's on a Tahoe, thought they were too soft and squishy. Maybe if you were concerned about ride quality, but I would stick with the LT tire

vCash
    I've got Michelins on there now and they're okay, but I want to level it and go a little bigger on the tire to fill out the wheel wells. As I said I'm on pavement the vast majority of the time but I would like to have some safety margin if I want to head up some logging roads in the summer as well as the snow we seem to be getting a lot more of here now.
    Mine have crawled through the dunes at the coast, gone up the mountains in the winter, and everything in between all without problems.

You may also inquire at Least Schwab's as they sell their own brands that most here aren't going to consider or maybe know about.

vCash
    Mine have crawled through the dunes at the coast, gone up the mountains in the winter, and everything in between all without problems.

You may also inquire at Least Schwab's as they sell their own brands that most here aren't going to consider or maybe know about.
    Okay let me rephrase that. I want to look cooler

vCash
    Okay let me rephrase that. I want to look cooler

vCash

This is also what I explain to folks. Unless you’re getting a legit knobby mud tire most of these all terrains will make little to no difference off road vs a good Michelin truck tire.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmDriver View Post
    This is also what I explain to folks. Unless you’re getting a legit knobby mud tire most of these all terrains will make little to no difference off road vs a good Michelin truck tire.
    Well the two things he described are basically what the Michelin ltx defender MS are designed for....they have a ton of siping and are good in snow and sand and really good in hard pack snow. The only thing that basically keeps them from being a snow tire is the compound. Every person I have recommended then to (usually bought on sale at Costco) has loved them.

Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

vCash
    Running Cooper snow tires on the wife's Mustang the past few winters. They make the thing an absolute

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr WeatherBoner View Post
    Running Cooper snow tires on the wife's Mustang the past few winters. They make the thing an absolute
    Getting a 2" level and 33" Cooper ATPs put on tomorrow

vCash
    I just put Falken Wildpeaks on my F150 and LOVE them 275/60/20

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TA00 View Post
    I just put Falken Wildpeaks on my F150 and LOVE them 275/60/20
    So I actually called about those and they are on a national backorder. Falken didn't have an ETA on when they'd be available.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MudBoatCpt

I ran the STT Pro mud tires but them fuckers wore down fast and were loud on the road............the girlfriend hated them

vCash
    Well, the ATs are supposed to be pretty quiet and have a long tread life so I guess we'll see

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Well, the ATs are supposed to be pretty quiet and have a long tread life so I guess we'll see
    The AT's should be waaaaay better. I bought those slightly used when I was in a pinch for tires. I actually loved them and they looked great on the truck but once I started driving back'n forth from home to Texas on a weekly basis for work, they broke down quick. My sister has a '69 Bronco and her husband put a set of the MT on it with the white letters facing out and it looks freaking awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    The AT's should be waaaaay better. I bought those slightly used when I was in a pinch for tires. I actually loved them and they looked great on the truck but once I started driving back'n forth from home to Texas on a weekly basis for work, they broke down quick. My sister has a '69 Bronco and her husband put a set of the MT on it with the white letters facing out and it looks freaking awesome
    Sounds good. I'll have some pics if not tomorrow then the next day. They're getting put on in the afternoon so I don't know if there will be enough light.

vCash
    You did a leveling kit. Congrats. Now you're one of "them".

vCash
    C'mon, let's split a Monster and take turns taking hits off the electric dick.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN

vCash
    Can we be a part of the flat bill crew too?

vCash
    Can we be a part of the flat bill crew too?
    I am going to be the sugar to your salty ass tomorrow when I have pics. You're gonna love it

vCash
    Gamer IDs

It's leveled, not raked

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    It's leveled, not raked

Until he puts a bag of kitty litter in the bed.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash

I had the ATP's on my old 01 LX470 and overall liked them a lot. Performed great in all weather and traction scenarios (granted the LX is full-time 4wd). The one time I did take it through some deep mud I couldn't even get them to spin easily. Once they had about 25k miles and were 4y old though they became super loud. Never rotated them though so YMMV. I ran KO2's (with 17" SVT Raptor wheels) on my 16 3.5EB SCrew FX4 and now have KO2's on my LX470.

vCash
    Just keep them rotated, aligned, and properly inflated and they'll be a great (and quiet) AT tire.

I'm going to swap out the stock Goodyears on my Jeep with Coopers this year, just not sure which one yet.

vCash
    Until he puts a bag of kitty litter in the bed.
    Okay well it was dark when I got out of there this evening, so pics will come tomorrow. I can tell you that I'm very happy with the way it looks. There is still some rake to it, just not as much, which is how I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by cuda6pak View Post
    I had the ATP's on my old 01 LX470 and overall liked them a lot. Performed great in all weather and traction scenarios (granted the LX is full-time 4wd). The one time I did take it through some deep mud I couldn't even get them to spin easily. Once they had about 25k miles and were 4y old though they became super loud. Never rotated them though so YMMV. I ran KO2's (with 17" SVT Raptor wheels) on my 16 3.5EB SCrew FX4 and now have KO2's on my LX470.
    Do you recall what pressure you ran in them? They put in 35 psi at the tire shop and I didn't think anything of it; however on the drive home they felt a little squishy so I am just looking up the pressure now and it says the maximum is 80 psi Reading through the forums it seems like a lot of guys are running 40-45 psi and liking how that feels.

vCash
    I want to say it was around 35-38psi with the ATPs

The KO2s I run around 40psi.

vCash
    Alright, here it is. 2" level and 275/70R18 Cooper Discoverer ATPs which come out to 33.2" according to their website. Still has a slight rake which is what I wanted. Overall I'm very happy with it.

vCash
    I want to say it was around 35-38psi with the ATPs

The KO2s I run around 40psi.
    I stopped by the tire store this morning and had them put 45psi in and things got a lot better. I'm considering 50 but the guy said if I go too much without a load the tires will crown and I'll get excessive wear in the center. I'm thinking about getting my own compressor and experimenting a little but we'll see how 45 goes.

vCash
    I wouldn't go any higher than that, especially since yours are standard rated tires right? 38-40psi sounds about right.

The KO2s I'm running are E-range so they can take quite a bit more, could probably go 50-55psi pretty easily in the LX if I wanted to.

I bought a little portable $50 Viair compressor off Amazon a few years ago that I use to air up the tires on our vehicles throughout the seasons. Works perfectly.

Now get those front windows tinted to match the rear

vCash
    I wouldn't go any higher than that, especially since yours are standard rated tires right? 38-40psi sounds about right.

The KO2s I'm running are E-range so they can take quite a bit more, could probably go 50-55psi pretty easily in the LX if I wanted to.

I bought a little portable $50 Viair compressor off Amazon a few years ago that I use to air up the tires on our vehicles throughout the seasons. Works perfectly.

These are E rated.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

These are E rated.
    I think EVERY 275/70r18 is E rated......its an OEM size for the 3/4 and 1 tons.....

vCash
    Front windows are getting tinted tomorrow.

vCash
    Just got back from the tint shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck7.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	32744

vCash

vCash
    So I ended up going with 45 and that seems good. I may get myself a little compressor and play with it though.

vCash
    I ended up putting some new meats on today as well!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

So, I had a blow out Sunday night on I-10 while driving back to Texas..........I'm driving a '09 Tacoma on 16" wheels and picked up some Sumitomo Encounter ATs

vCash
    I have about 50,000 miles on mine. I rotated them out every 3k miles up until about 35k miles. Now they make louder road noise, and kind shakes under braking. Brand new, the tires were quiet and were smooth. I took it camping and slightly off road. The tires kick mud off very easily, and make your truck dirty real quick. In wet weather, the tires spins sometimes from a dead stop. At 50 mph, I hit a large rock and damaged my rim on the interstate. The tire survived running over the rock while the rim didn't The tire still runs like a champ. I got the LT version of the tire and not the normal passenger rated one.

Side view of Truck
    https://ibb.co/ZLqc6mQ
    Back of Truck
    https://ibb.co/mzj8TkQ
    Front of Truck
    https://ibb.co/G3ycxdp
    Damaged Rim
    https://ibb.co/6sbj18P
    Damaged Rim
    https://ibb.co/rtr3YWj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200421_154156.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	33139  
    Last edited by 98Cobra_Kid; 04-22-2020 at 02:58 AM.