Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be getting a new truck

Blog Entries
    vCash

Might be getting a new truck

Well not really new.

It turns out that my wife was driven home from the hospital in a 1965 GMC truck. That truck has sat on a west Texas farm doe the past 40 years. Her grandfather bought it new and drove it for less than 10 years and then parked it. My FIL was allowed to drive it for a few years until he bought his own vehicle. Then the truck returned to her grandfather who just parked it.

So the truck is all there but hasn't moved in decades. Anyway we have possibly been given the green light to come get it. My wife wants it, so if we get it the truck will be fast tracked to get road worthy.

It looks like this in a different color.

I don't know the specifics on the drivetrain, but I am assuming it is either the straight 6 or 327 with the 3 on the tree. I am not going to fool with column shift manual, so it will get a 4 speed auto. I will eventually convert it to the better looking Chevrolet front end update the suspension.

It won't be a big dollar restore if we get it, but those old trucks are so simple that I can do a lot of the work myself. I have already spotted a couple of used 5.3s for under a grand.

Hoping to get it right and let my middle teen learn to drive in it. Her dream is either a classic truck or a jeep.

vCash
    used 5.3 or 4.8 that mofo

even the 4.8s make stupid power with just a cam/header swap.

vCash
    Don't change the front end! Everyone has a 64'-66' Chevy front end. Even the '61-'63 guys swap their hood to match the '64-'66 look. The GMC front end looks fine, it's just not what most people are used to seeing. Keep it and it will help the truck stand out from the crowd.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwollHottie View Post
    used 5.3 or 4.8 that mofo

even the 4.8s make stupid power with just a cam/header swap.
    It will depend on what's under the hood
    If it is a 327 I will just have that overhauled, if it is a 6 cylinder I will go with a JY 5.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Don't change the front end! Everyone has a 64'-66' Chevy front end. Even the '61-'63 guys swap their hood to match the '64-'66 look. The GMC front end looks fine, it's just not what most people are used to seeing. Keep it and it will help the truck stand out from the crowd.
    The GMC front may stay but the 2 eye Chevy just looks cleaner to me.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    That's if we get it. Her uncle is a bit reluctant to let anything go. He also has a 1967 half ton just sitting and wasting away. He has a 1948 Harley, and 2 1932 Cords just sitting in his barn.

All of the vehicles are complete and everything except the Cords are 1 owner (wife's grandfather)
    Last edited by windham; 01-22-2020 at 03:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    It will depend on what's under the hood
    If it is a 327 I will just have that overhauled, if it is a 6 cylinder I will go with a JY 5.3

The GMC front may stay but the 2 eye Chevy just looks cleaner to me.
    would cost more to have that pos 327 overhauled than to buy a full 5.3/trans or 4.8/trans., and it would make like 200hp less. toss the 327 in a dumpster.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    would cost more to have that pos 327 overhauled than to buy a full 5.3/trans or 4.8/trans., and it would make like 200hp less. toss the 327 in a dumpster.
    My hesitation is you are not getting a new or remanufactured ls and trans for a grand. I know you can buy them, but what if I sink a grand or 1500 into some JY 5.3/4l60 and then have to have it rebuilt? I looked at combos online and they were all over 100,000 miles.

vCash
    This. But I suspect Windham is dead set on ruining it anyway.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    I'd almost bet its a straight 6.

V8s were rare.

vCash
    There is something enjoyable about driving an old truck in original form. I enjoyed daily driving my '64 C10 for many years with it's 230 c.i. inline 6 and 4 on the floor (granny 1st).

vCash
    Also, what an incredibly unsafe vehicle to put your kid in. Buy your kid whatever is the newest car you can afford with the most airbags.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Also, what an incredibly unsafe vehicle to put your kid in. Buy your kid whatever is the newest car you can afford with the most airbags.
    Its posts like this that remind me how old everyone is getting here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PC PaiN View Post
    It’s posts like this that remind me how old everyone is getting here.
    Old vehicles are cool for Sunday drives and car shows and stuff like that, but I'd never put my kid in one to drive on a daily basis. The crash videos are out there. They're death traps

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I appreciate the thought but a classic truck is her dream. If I can make it happen I will.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Old vehicles are cool for Sunday drives and car shows and stuff like that, but I'd never put my kid in one to drive on a daily basis. The crash videos are out there. They're death traps
    I never disagreed with what you said. Just that we are all old now

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I doubt it... the nickle and diming is what adds up on a swap. True, if he didn't want to change anything, he could save some money on the engine... but if I'm doing a swap, I'm going to make sure I don't have to redo something immediately afterwards and replace a lot of key components w/ new stuff. IIRC, we had over $7k in my dad's LS swap on his '90 Silverado. Granted, some of what was done w/ it wouldn't be done to the OP's (cam, dyno tuning, clutch/flywheel) but we didn't pay for labor and it still was rather high for all of the little stuff.

BTW... I do agree w/ you though. The LS route is probably the route I'd take, as well... Just clarifying that it's not always as cheap as it seems.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 01-22-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I agree w/ 5.0... No way would I give this to my kid as their DD. A weekend toy, sure, but not a DD.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    No it wouldn't. lol

You would spend more on the swap than what it costs to rebuild a good 327. Now, if the 327 has issues, then it might cost more.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    I have to agree. Would never stick a kid in one of these as their first vehicle for that reason alone.

I appreciate the thought but a classic truck is her dream. If I can make it happen I will.
    Safety first. The fact that it's her dream shouldn't cause you to make a bad parenting decision.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    my dad went thru 3 of those when i was a kid growing up...
    66 - straight 6 / 3 on the tree.
    64 - w/ aftermarket 327 / 3 on the tree
    and a 65

do NOT change the grill / front end.
    do NOT put your kid in that for a first time truck...
    no seat belts...dad added them to his.
    no power steering...
    gas tank is in the cab behind the seat...
    no disk breaks
    etc etc

finish the camaro first

Blog Entries
    vCash
    windham, update on the camaro?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lombardo View Post
    windham, update on the camaro?
    It's running. I cranked it and let the fluids flow the other day. Now I just got to get the trans rebuilt.

vCash
    a 327 with some vortec heads, rpm intake, and comp 262 cam will run great.

also, jesus get her a '05 camry as a daily until she knows how to drive.

vCash
    update on mini van?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    update on mini van?
    The minivan is rolling. I have tried unsuccessfully to get my wife to agree to a twin turbo upgrade. I informed her of the possibility of overnighting parts from Japan and that we could double weld the manifold so there would be no danger but she still said no.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I have to agree. Would never stick a kid in one of these as their first vehicle for that reason alone.

Safety first. The fact that it's her dream shouldn't cause you to make a bad parenting decision.
    Given the history in the family it seems like it has some sentimental value as well. Restore it as needed, but let the kid know it will be a college graduate gift or something, not a vehicle for a young driver.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCM MD/PhD View Post
    Given the history in the family it seems like it has some sentimental value as well. Restore it as needed, but let the kid know it will be a college graduate gift or something, not a vehicle for a young driver.
    Oh she will learn to drive in the minivan. It isn't like I have the pockets deep enough to drop this off at a shop and then toss her the keys a couple of months later. This will be a project that we build together. So she will have a couple of years of driving experience before she takes off in it anywhere, if we get it.

vCash
    The minivan is rolling. I have tried unsuccessfully to get my wife to agree to a twin turbo upgrade. I informed her of the possibility of overnighting parts from Japan and that we could double weld the manifold so there would be no danger but she still said no.
    have you considered purchasing a travel trailer so you can take advantage of it's towing capabilities?

vCash
    Oh she will learn to drive in the minivan. It isn't like I have the pockets deep enough to drop this off at a shop and then toss her the keys a couple of months later. This will be a project that we build together. So she will have a couple of years of driving experience before she takes off in it anywhere, if we get it.
    Remember my father/son project I thought for sure we'd have on the road by the time my son graduated high school?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    have you considered purchasing a travel trailer so you can take advantage of it's towing capabilities?

Remember my father/son project I thought for sure we'd have on the road by the time my son graduated high school?
    The plan I have in my head will take me a minimum of 2 years. I want to address any rust first, get the body straight, then sort out the drivetrain, add power brakes/steering, change it to disc brakes yada yada.

It will be a fun build but it won't be a quick one.
    Last edited by windham; 01-23-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

This kid will be 30 by the time you get around to that list

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    This is what happens when you have only read about LS swaps on the internet...

Blog Entries
    vCash
    This kid will be 30 by the time you get around to that list
    Maybe. It's weird but I am more excited about what I want to do with this truck with her than I am my Camaro.

I already have it restored in my mind. Metallic charcoal gray with bright whorehouse red leather interior.

Last night I priced out wood bed kits and looked into buying some welding equipment. I bought an air compressor already. I want to be able to do as much of it in my garage as I possibly can.
    Last edited by windham; 01-24-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    This is what happens when you have only read about LS swaps on the internet...
    I like the LS drivetrain but honestly I am just fine with a 327. It is a great motor, it's very reliable, requires very little upkeep. A 327 with a proper OD trans will be fine. Plus my goal won't be a HP monster. My oldest daughter's truck just has a 200 horse V6 and it is more than enough for her.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Okay so a little possible wrench...

1965 C 10

Or 1970 Ford

I am going to look at a Ford in the morning. Clear title, not a salvage, but it will need everything. It doesn't have a an engine or trans, but it is a factory shortbed. I will have to deal with a good bit of metal work, new floors in the cab, rockers, bed floor, bed sides... I will probably just replace the entire bed if I get it. I figure that might be the cheaper option.

The GMC I am expecting to need some metal work but it has spent it's entire life in west Texas, vs. the Ford that was originally titled in Virgina.

The Ford I am positive needs more rust repair, but it is already a short bed. The GMC will need less but then I have to pay a quality shop to cut the frame down to make it a shorty and then either have the bed hacked up to match or buy a shortbed.

I like both trucks, not sure which way to go.
    Last edited by windham; 01-25-2020 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    A little bit of why I like the Ford...when I was a kid my uncle in Georgia had a 1970 Ford Ranger (Rangers were full size back them) When we would go visit he always took me for rides in his truck. We would go to the farmer's market and get produce to sell in his store, we would tow a boat to the lake to go fishing, or just go get a soda. So it is has sentimental value to me like the 65 GMC has to my wife.

vCash
    Get the Ford.

That way someone else can save the GMC.

Blog Entries
    vCash

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Just looked at the Ford. It needs averything. I thought it was just a roller but it does have a drivetrain. It has a 351Windsor with a broken rocker. I assume it is just a boat anchor. It was originally a 3 on the tree, but it now has a 4 speed auto. Bed floor has to be replaced, cab floor has to be replaced, rust in the roof, engine bay... Every panel on the truck will need work or replacing, even the tailgate.

If my wife's uncle agrees to let us get the GMC. I will go that route.

vCash
    why not focus on finishing the projects you already have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    good question, counselor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    good question, counselor.
    not trying to hate and I guess I understand the sentimental value of the gmc, but the Ford doesn’t make any sense

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Because the Camaro is mine. It will always be mine until I pass. The kid though is 15 and she wants a classic truck. I want to build memories with her like I have with my father. We did a lot of bonding laid on our backs swapping out transmissions, or rebuilding front end suspensions ... and the car was mine to keep.

I want to do that with her.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Please don’t buy her some rusted out pos that needs a ton of work you’re not capable of doing

vCash
    Because the Camaro is mine. It will always be mine until I pass. The kid though is 15 and she wants a classic truck. I want to build memories with her like I have with my father. We did a lot of bonding laid on our backs swapping out transmissions, or rebuilding front end suspensions ... and the car was mine to keep.

I want to do that with her.
    I don’t mean to discount that, but you’re allowing your emotions to cloud logic

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I don’t mean to discount that, but you’re allowing your emotions to cloud logic
    Umm no. We want to build something together. That is what she wants to do and me, infact she asked me instead of me suggesting it. I don't understand this thought you have that emotion is clouding good judgment. I could go buy a Corolla for her and then we have done nothing together. Or I could just continue working on my car and get her to help and she doesn't have that truck when we finish. It's a process of being together, building memories, doing something cool, and giving her something to keep at the end of it all.
    Last edited by windham; 01-26-2020 at 07:11 AM.

vCash
    Umm no. We want to build something together. That is what she wants to do and me, infact she asked me instead of me suggesting it. I don't understand this thought you have that emotion is clouding good judgment. I could go buy a Corolla for her and then we have done nothing together. Or I could just continue working on my car and get her to help and she doesn't have that truck when we finish. It's a process of being together, building memories, doing something cool, and giving her something to keep at the end of it all.
    ok, well best of luck then

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Please don’t buy her some rusted out pos that needs a ton of work you’re not capable of doing
    A classic truck isn't some technology marvel. We won't be building a Tesla. Good lord, I will have any welding subbed out, have a pro do the engine and trans rebuild, but the rest isn't that complicated.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You will never complete a basket case

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Not with that attitude.

vCash

vCash
    update?

vCash
    update?
    he bought his daughter an ariel atom rolling chassis iirc

Blog Entries
    vCash
    update?
    Passed on the Ford, rot had gotten into the roof panel as well. That was more than I wanted to deal with. I couldn't find one single panel in the truck that didn't have rot. Even each panel in the engine bay was needing new metal. The funny thing is the guy found a buyer yesterday.

My wife's uncle can't decide what he wants to do so I am still looking. If he decides to let it sit in his field a little longer we are going to take a flyer on a late 70s model F series near me.

vCash
    he bought his daughter an ariel atom rolling chassis iirc
    Literally safer than an old truck.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

So glad I survived my teen years in a 500+ hp 70 Chevelle

Literally cheated death every day

vCash
    So glad I survived my teen years in a 500+ hp 70 Chevelle

Literally cheated death every day
    My best friend in high school had a 66' SS396, he ran it into the concrete base of a light pole in a mall parking lot at 60ish..shockingly nobody was seriously hurt.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Got fing personal in here for no reason

vCash
    Got f’ing personal in here for no reason
    not sure what his problem is

vCash
    Not to add fuel to the fire that seems to have sparked here... but in all reality she should get that Corolla (insert econo car) for something to drive now and when it's more appropriate to drive and build the classic truck in the meantime. It's so much better to have a nice quiet comfortable, easy to drive vehicle when you just don't give a crap about the drive.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 01-29-2020 at 07:15 PM.