Thread: BMW X3 or Acura RDX?

vCash

BMW X3 or Acura RDX?

So my 2010 Forester is just leaking too much oil at this point and Iíve decided to cut my losses... I really have enjoyed driving it even though the base engine just has no guts... Iíve pretty much cut the field down to three options, all of these cars are at my price point of $22k or better with 40-50k miles and 2015-2017 model years, and Iím sticking to a radius of 200 miles because ultimately Iím going to have to go try them out.

I was thinking of the Forester XT Touring edition initially but it sounds like they really mushed up the handling. Itís still pretty quick versus the competition but it is an economy compact SUV at heart. So I found that both the BMW X3 Xdrive35i and Acura RDX can be found in same condition for the same price range.

Just looking to see if anyone can talk me out of a used BMW...

Pros for the BMW: Incredible performance for 300 hp 4200 lb car, best interior, best sound, best handling, good AWD system. Cons: 26 MPG and possible repair costs are 3x that of the Acura or the Subaru... I plan to do the routine maintenance myself on whatever I buy.

Pros for the Acura: the most cargo room with the underfloor storage, pretty nice interior, best mileage, handles better than the Subaru, and a touch faster than the Subaru, and it costs about the same to maintain and repair as the Subaru.

Cons: doesnít quite handle as well as the BMW and more muted road feel and the car is just a bit less tuned overall... and I donít like transverse engines... you never get symmetrical drive to the wheels, the AWD system is just not quite as good as the other two.

Pros for the Subaru: Reliable and well built and the best ground clearance and more off-road capable, and I already have a set of rims and snow tires for it... also can be cheaply modded with washers.

Cons: Handles worse than the other two and everything about it is cheap... worst interior.

This is going to be the family car for trips and I also need to not get in trouble with the wife so it needs a low chance of something breaking in the first couple years I own it.

Going to pull the trigger in February. No I donít want a Lexus.

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    Don't know about the SUVs but we have an Acura TLX with the SH-AWD system and it's been a pretty nice car so far. No problems with it and the AWD system doesn't seem to be bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Don't know about the SUVs but we have an Acura TLX with the SH-AWD system and it's been a pretty nice car so far. No problems with it and the AWD system doesn't seem to be bad.

What drivetrain you rocking? The RDX has the 3.5L V6 and 6 speed auto.

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    What drivetrain you rocking? The RDX has the 3.5L V6 and 6 speed auto.
    3.5 V6 with the 9 speed trans.

vCash
    For what itís worth I put 300,000 miles on a 3.0 liter J series V6, same family as what comes in the RDX. Most of those miles were done while I was in school and broke, so if I couldnít do the work in an afternoon, for less than $100, then it didnít get done. One power steering pump and one timing belt in 300,000 miles. Only other maintenance was oil changes when the car told me to change it, never before. The engine is bulletproof.
    Last edited by Anewconvert; 01-03-2020 at 08:06 AM.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Acura for longevity.

Wouldn't touch an out of warranty BMW

Blog Entries
    vCash
    It sounds like you want the BMW
    Get the BMW and do your research and get a good extended warranty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Acura for longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    I just need to try and talk myself out of it to make sure it’s really the right one... playing devils advocate with myself. . Everyone agrees that it’s a bad idea without a warranty however, including a guy at the office who is in love with his 328... I’ll look around. These BMWs are literally growing on trees around here if you include Xdrive28’s which still hold their own against the Subaru and Acura.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I agree here but would get the extended warranty and one from a decent company as well.

We are BMW #2 and both have been fantastic really. Our biggest issue was with the newest one we got a oil pan seep (pretty normal) and for $50 we paid our extended deduct, got our loaner, and the car was fixed 4 days later. Would have cot $1700 area.

If you are set on no warranty then I would go the RSX route to be honest.

BTW my GX470 is like a rock

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    I agree here but would get the extended warranty and one from a decent company as well.

We are BMW #2 and both have been fantastic really. Our biggest issue was with the newest one we got a oil pan seep (pretty normal) and for $50 we paid our extended deduct, got our loaner, and the car was fixed 4 days later. Would have cot $1700 area.

If you are set on no warranty then I would go the RSX route to be honest.

BTW my GX470 is like a rock
    Not set on going without a warranty... If I do go the RSX route I wouldn’t bother because I’ve never had any issue with a single Honda... but I will be sure to get a warranty if I go with the BMW. I have nothing against Lexus, and I know plenty of people that swear by them, I’m just not excited by any of the offerings in my price/age range.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 01-03-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Registered Member

vCash
    Can't speak to the Acura or the BMW, but will give the Subaru a thumbs up vote. The wife has a 2016 Forrester XT with all the bells and whistles. She didn't like the changes with the 2017 update (like you mentioned), but the 2016 has been a good car. Handling seems sporty enough for a CUV and the turbo with the CVT seems to have enough power to scoot along. She doesn't take it easy on the car but it hasn't given her any problems. Its our go-to vehicle for ski trips and has never let us down in snow/icy conditions.

vCash
    Acura with running boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Acura with running boards.
    I should really just ask Mike Hawk, he is both an expert in Acuras with running boards and Subarus with Washer mods.

vCash
    The trick to BMWs is to avoid dealers. I can get the oil changed in my 328 for $70 at the place I bought it from (independent dealer) and it can go for 10k between changes. I still got a 100k warranty for peace of mind.

vCash
    I should really just ask Mike Hawk, he is both an expert in Acuras with running boards and Subarus with Washer mods.
    He wasn't the Acura/running boards culprit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    He wasn't the Acura/running boards culprit.
    That was an MDX with running boards posted by Vice's friend Flex.

vCash
    That's it, was trying to remember the name.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SphyNxXx View Post
    The trick to BMWs is to avoid dealers. I can get the oil changed in my 328 for $70 at the place I bought it from (independent dealer) and it can go for 10k between changes. I still got a 100k warranty for peace of mind.
    BMW dealers do nothing different then a GM, Ford, Acura, Toyota, or "insert name here" dealer.

it is the same service, check overs, and sales. All it depends on is how honest is your advisor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Crap you're right... it's just so Mike Hawkish.

vCash
    I am too good at talking sense into myself apparently... so I think it’s just going to be the XT unless the seats are awful. It sounds like I can fix the handling mush with some STI suspension parts. The Acura it turns out does not get the SH AWD, they actually took that option out in that generation, so it’s essentially a FWD car that can put 40% to the rear wheels... And I just don’t have the stomach for possible repairs or buying a warranty on top of purchase price, even though I know that BMWs are generally very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I thought it was MT Wallet?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I am too good at talking sense into myself apparently... so I think it’s just going to be the XT unless the seats are awful. It sounds like I can fix the handling mush with some STI suspension parts. The Acura it turns out does not get the SH AWD, they actually took that option out in that generation, so it’s essentially a FWD car that can put 40% to the rear wheels... And I just don’t have the stomach for possible repairs or buying a warranty on top of purchase price, even though I know that BMWs are generally very good.
    Have you considered a Suburban from CarMax?

vCash
    Have you considered a Suburban from CarMax?
    You know what... I just completely forgot about their prowess on the Nurburgring.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 01-05-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    You know what... I just completely forgot about their prowess on the Nurburgring.
    That's a shame. The quickest N ring time was set by a 2016 Suburban with a lift kit.

vCash
    That's a shame. The quickest N ring time was set by a 2016 Suburban with a lift kit.
    IIRC it ran it in 5 minutes flat with mud tires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Acura for longevity.

this

vCash
    no audi in the mix?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    no audi in the mix?
    Love what Audi has put together the past few years.

vCash
    Love what Audi has put together the past few years.
    yea, they are just nice cars and you can get into a great Q5 for OP's price point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    no audi in the mix?
    I'm not in love with it on paper... has ok stats but the infotainment system is supposedly unreliable and difficult to use and it's got less technology than the Subaru... no USB port is kind of baffling for a relatively new car... and sport tuned suspension but no flappy paddles? I agree that it does look like a nice car overall if you don't care about the parts of it that are outdated... maybe check out if I find a local one.

vCash
    I'm not in love with it on paper... has ok stats but the infotainment system is supposedly unreliable and difficult to use and it's got less technology than the Subaru... no USB port is kind of baffling for a relatively new car... and sport tuned suspension but no flappy paddles? I agree that it does look like a nice car overall if you don't care about the parts of it that are outdated... maybe check out if I find a local one.
    afaik they have paddles

17+ have us

its not hard to use that is ridiculous

vCash
    After my Crosstrek i wouldn't touch another subaru the quality has gone to shit it seems.

Even the new ones seem to have some recall issues, also sucks they arent as beastily as they used to be.

I'd say go with the BMW ... i feel anything honda is soooo boring, reliable but boring.

vCash
    I used to describe my accord as the most reliable, boring car Ive ever owned

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anewconvert View Post
    I used to describe my accord as the most reliable, boring car Ive ever owned
    Same with our Civic. We have done two repairs in 187k miles... the AC condenser rusted out at 155k miles and we just had a wire repaired on the passenger rear ABS sensor which had been chewed by a rodent, average of $120 in repairs per year. Still goes 7500 between oil changes without burning or leaking a drop, transmission has zero issues on the original fluid and we just got a third set of brakes.

But I have been happy with the Forester overall, except that it had some issues eating brakes too quickly when we first got it... seems to have been resolved with replacing wheel bearings and it is now leaking oil. It was clearly abused in its first 11k miles though, things just crop up that seem like maybe it was not flooded but in high water... Came from Florida, 3 of 4 wheel bearings went bad before we hit 100k, broken exhaust weld on the exhaust manifold (current problem), some rust in strange places, and for some reason the drivers door frame is slightly tweaked by a quarter inch at the top that allows more road noise... this time we will do a more thorough background check.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 01-09-2020 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Same with our Civic. We have done two repairs in 187k miles... the AC condenser rusted out at 155k miles and we just had a wire repaired on the passenger rear ABS sensor which had been chewed by a rodent, average of $120 in repairs per year. Still goes 7500 between oil changes without burning or leaking a drop, transmission has zero issues on the original fluid and we just got a third set of brakes.

But I have been happy with the Forester overall, except that it had some issues eating brakes too quickly when we first got it... seems to have been resolved with replacing wheel bearings and it is now leaking oil. It was clearly abused in its first 11k miles though, things just crop up that seem like maybe it was not flooded but in high water... Came from Florida, 3 of 4 wheel bearings went bad before we hit 100k, broken exhaust weld on the exhaust manifold (current problem), some rust in strange places, and for some reason the drivers door frame is slightly tweaked by a quarter inch at the top that allows more road noise... this time we will do a more thorough background check.
    florida car = easy possibility it was driven through high water