Thread: New toy - Hyperion... Intel please

vCash

New toy - Hyperion... Intel please

I've been trying to decide what I wanted for a while. Almost pulled the trigger on a nice 02 6 Speed Firehawk, but I found this at a local dealer. 2016 1SS with 15,000 miles. Practically new condition.

I am very surprised how quick this car is. I have had several relatively fast cars throughout the years, but the A8 seems to keep the car in its powerband nearly always.

Anyway, trying to decide what I want to do with it. Honestly, it is already faster than anything I can ever use, but I would like to get it to a consistent 11 second car.

Any really good power per dollar mods? Anyway, just bored and figured I would share. Sorry for the huge pics. I'm too lazy to resize.

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    Awesome! Welcome to the club, the car surprised me at first also.

As far as mods if you want it to be a consistent 11 second car it won't take much and depends on what you are willing to do. Rotofab CAI, headers and tune will put you there, add an MSD or have you stock intake ported by Pray Performance will have you mid to low 11s consistently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Awesome! Welcome to the club, the car surprised me at first also.

As far as mods if you want it to be a consistent 11 second car it won't take much and depends on what you are willing to do. Rotofab CAI, headers and tune will put you there, add an MSD or have you stock intake ported by Pray Performance will have you mid to low 11s consistently.

I have honestly pondered just throwing a supercharger on it with low boost and being done. Super easy to just snatch back off if I decide to trade it in later. Not sure what the fuel systems will support. I assume there has to be a fairly straight forward kit to do an LT4 blower.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 383nitrouZ View Post
    I have honestly pondered just throwing a supercharger on it with low boost and being done. Super easy to just snatch back off if I decide to trade it in later. Not sure what the fuel systems will support. I assume there has to be a fairly straight forward kit to do an LT4 blower.
    Yeah you can buy one but they are kind of expensive, you can buy a used LT4 blower for like $1500 or so but the conversion kit is $3000. Honestly might as well buy a Maggie or Procharger at that point. Either way you'll have to buy the LT4 low pressure pump, high pressure pump and injectors if you want more than than about 600. If you want less than that you can keep LT1 stuff but it runs out around 600ish. A P1 Procharger on 7 pounds will make just under that and isn't up expensive.

vCash
    Yeah you can buy one but they are kind of expensive, you can buy a used LT4 blower for like $1500 or so but the conversion kit is $3000. Honestly might as well buy a Maggie or Procharger at that point. Either way you'll have to buy the LT4 low pressure pump, high pressure pump and injectors if you want more than than about 600. If you want less than that you can keep LT1 stuff but it runs out around 600ish. A P1 Procharger on 7 pounds will make just under that and isn't up expensive.

I am definitely not wanting more than 600. I have ironically gone from my younger days of wanting a super fast car that looked stock to wanting a moderately fast car that looks really fast

vCash
    Here is a link to a P1 6th gen with no fueling mods or anything, just the P1.

vCash
    I am definitely not wanting more than 600. I have ironically gone from my younger days of wanting a super fast car that looked stock to wanting a moderately fast car that looks really fast
    I'm the exact opposite I just bought a forged 416 ci short block, 1400 HP secondary port injection system, twin turbo kit shooting for 1200 rwhp. I'm going to do a build thread when it gets closer to being done.

vCash
    I'm the exact opposite I just bought a forged 416 ci short block, 1400 HP secondary port injection system, twin turbo kit shooting for 1200 rwhp. I'm going to do a build thread when it gets closer to being done.

I was big into drag racing back in the day, and I still love the idea. However, I know how often I'm actually going to a track. I certainly look forward to seeing a build thread on that though!

vCash
    I was big into drag racing back in the day, and I still love the idea. However, I know how often I'm actually going to a track. I certainly look forward to seeing a build thread on that though!
    This will be my last build on a car so I decided to go big.

I just saw someone on one of the 6th gen Facebook forums selling a complete Maggie kit for $5000, they'd probably take less.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin

I fell in love the first time I felt it go through 3-6 at WOT. Awesome how you never fall out of the power band. But the engine is also so good you still have so much torque it almost doesn't matter. Definitely check out Prey performance he has some killer stuff. He has one package that will get you in the 10s while looking and sounding completely stock.

vCash

I just saw someone on one of the 6th gen Facebook forums selling a complete Maggie kit for $5000, they'd probably take less.

Ugh. That is tempting. However, I live in PA now. So even if I wanted to spend the money right now, it would be severe waste lol. Around April I'll be hunting something. Car will be in the garage most of the next few months.

vCash
    Here's a link to the LT4 conversion kit, it has with and without the blower price

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...e-camaro-gen-6

vCash
    Gamer IDs

No offense but I don't believe you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    Lol

vCash
    Lol, it's my planned last build.

vCash

That didn't take long

vCash

Only 1200rwhp? pfff...

Let me know when you can compete with a Tesla Model 3 with the newest update.

vCash

I seen the procharger kit for sale on Facebook and was wondering if it was yours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Ugh. That is tempting. However, I live in PA now. So even if I wanted to spend the money right now, it would be severe waste lol. Around April I'll be hunting something. Car will be in the garage most of the next few months.
    I've been looking at 6th gens and just seen some guys complaining on the 6th gen Facebook group that there's no interest right now, it might be a good time to get a deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    I've been looking at 6th gens and just seen some guys complaining on the 6th gen Facebook group that there's no interest right now, it might be a good time to get a deal.

My girl will murder me if I turn around and buy a supercharger 3 days after buying the car lol

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    First thing I would do is the A8 fluid change to help with the trans shudder. It might have been done already but if not, I would do it. It's a warranty bulletin so it shouldn't cost you anything. I can check to see if it has been done if you pm me the vin.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 11-15-2019 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    First thing I would do is the A8 fluid change to help with the trans shudder. It might have been done already but if not, I would do it. It's a warranty bulletin so it shouldn't cost you anything. I can check to see if it has been done if you pm me the vin.
    Cool. Will do. It was certified used through a Chevy dealer. So I'm all but sure it was done, but if it isn't on my paperwork when I get home, I'll send you the VIN to check.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    what would ya'll do to a stock 2010 LS3 6 speed? wife daily drives it...has about 50k miles....she wants a new car soon.
    is it worth modding even a little? headers/heads/cam? i know i want to get some aftermarket wheels and maybe lower a tad.
    it feels slow as shit now, because it's so damn heavy. looking for a cruiser with more power, not going to race it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    I seen the procharger kit for sale on Facebook and was wondering if it was yours.

I have it up for sale there, it's the one that is the F1-A that is polished and comes with extras that are new like the ATI Damper and 10 rib pulley system. Also has the Porcharger intake that is new with blue lettering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    what would ya'll do to a stock 2010 LS3 6 speed? wife daily drives it...has about 50k miles....she wants a new car soon.
    is it worth modding even a little? headers/heads/cam? i know i want to get some aftermarket wheels and maybe lower a tad.
    it feels slow as shit now, because it's so damn heavy. looking for a cruiser with more power, not going to race it.
    Yeah you could do headers, cam and tune and it would really wake it up, heads if you have the money but just the headers, cam and tune would make a big difference.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Cool. Will do. It was certified used through a Chevy dealer. So I'm all but sure it was done, but if it isn't on my paperwork when I get home, I'll send you the VIN to check.
    I wouldn't count on it. It's not something they would do as part of the certification. They'll generally only do it if the customer comes in complaining about transmission shudder. Also, there is a new fluid that came out recently so even if it was done some time back, it's worth doing it again with the new fluid.

vCash
    I wouldn't count on it. It's not something they would do as part of the certification. They'll generally only do it if the customer comes in complaining about transmission shudder. Also, there is a new fluid that came out recently so even if it was done some time back, it's worth doing it again with the new fluid.
    Yeah mine had the shudder when I bought it so I took it to the dealer and had them replace the fluid and then put a Circle D converter in it, it's the only issue I have had with the car.
    Last edited by Hyperion; 11-15-2019 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...47801/10002/-1

All manual 5th gen SS should have come with 3.91s standard. Absolutely love them in my 1LE. My car doesn't feel slow and I just have a Z/28 cai, corsa catback and the stock 3.91 gears. Compared to a 6th gen 1LE, it is slow but it doesn't feel that way because of the gears. I always thought the 5th gen 1LEs felt quicker than the ZL1 because of the gearing.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 11-15-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Damn nice, congrats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    Damn nice, congrats
    Thanks, dawg.

vCash
    https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...47801/10002/-1

All manual 5th gen SS should have come with 3.91s standard. Absolutely love them in my 1LE. My car doesn't feel slow and I just have a Z/28 cai, corsa catback and the stock 3.91 gears. Compared to a 6th gen 1LE, it is slow but it doesn't feel that way because of the gears. I always thought the 5th gen 1LEs felt quicker than the ZL1 because of the gearing.
    3.91s are next on my list.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Great looking car. The black wheels on the red paint look nice af

vCash
    Whipple or procharger

vCash
    Found an LT4 blower, throttle body, cam, high side fuel pump and rails for $3500. Came off a ZL1 with 1000 miles. Someone talk me out of this.

vCash
    Found an LT4 blower, throttle body, cam, high side fuel pump and rails for $3500. Came off a ZL1 with 1000 miles. Someone talk me out of this.
    Is it the entire kit or just the blower? You'll need around $3000 more stuff if it's just the blower.

vCash
    Is it the entire kit or just the blower? You'll need around $3000 more stuff if it's just the blower.

Blower, heat exchangers, fuel rails and pumps, throttle body, roto fab intake, and pullies.

vCash
    Blower, heat exchangers, fuel rails and pumps, throttle body, roto fab intake, and pullies.
    If it includes everything you need I have nothing bad to say. Can easily make 550 with that blower. You will need an adapter still though if it came off of a ZL1.

Last edited by Hyperion; 12-08-2019 at 12:57 AM.

vCash
    Now, If i do that, I'm going to quickly get into fuel system problems. If I do it, I'm going to do a flex fuel kit. Which I assume will exceed what the system will handle. Got a lot to learn on these new engines.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Y'all are making me jelly. No money right now for any serious mods. But I am about to do a much needed audio upgrade.

vCash
    Now, If i do that, I'm going to quickly get into fuel system problems. If I do it, I'm going to do a flex fuel kit. Which I assume will exceed what the system will handle. Got a lot to learn on these new engines.
    If you stay 93 you "should" be ok on the LT4 fuel system, if you want to run ethanol you "might" be in trouble without meth most likely.

Last edited by Hyperion; 12-08-2019 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    If you stay 93 you "should" be ok on the LT4 fuel system, if you want to run ethanol you "might" be in trouble without meth most likely.

Ugh. I mean, on one hand, if I do it, then I'll pick up an smaller pulley and port the blower. That is definitely going to puch me past the comfortable limit... gonna def need to do some research. I might intentionally skip something to stay in the fuel system's limits.

Talked to the guy a good bit today. Probably going to pull the trigger on this. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait to be installed. Winter has arrived ha.

vCash
    Y'all are making me jelly. No money right now for any serious mods. But I am about to do a much needed audio upgrade.
    My bad. I didn't mean for this to happen lol. I was just toying with the idea when I saw a deal to good to pass up. I could make money on this deal if I buy it and change my mind.

vCash
    Ugh. I mean, on one hand, if I do it, then I'll pick up an smaller pulley and port the blower. That is definitely going to puch me past the comfortable limit... gonna def need to do some research. I might intentionally skip something to stay in the fuel system's limits.

Talked to the guy a good bit today. Probably going to pull the trigger on this. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait to be installed. Winter has arrived ha.
    Yeah it's definitely a pretty good deal, like I said though if you want to run ethanol you will probably push it past the LT4 fuel limits. They do however sell a higher output HPFP but it's $1400 and 30% higher injectors but those are $3000+. If you stay on 93 just the LT4 stuff will probably be ok.

vCash
    Yeah it's definitely a pretty good deal, like I said though if you want to run ethanol you will probably push it past the LT4 fuel limits. They do however sell a higher output HPFP but it's $1400 and 30% higher injectors but those are $3000+. If you stay on 93 just the LT4 stuff will probably be ok.

The main reason I would want to run ethanol is it seems to be safer with boost. I really don't want my hidden addiction to turn into me needing a new motor within a year lol.

vCash
    The main reason I would want to run ethanol is it seems to be safer with boost. I really don't want my hidden addiction to turn into me needing a new motor within a year lol.
    Lol, understandable. It unfortunately requires about 25-30% more fuel to run. If you keep it under 600 rwhp you can do 93 and be fine. However pro have pushed the stock bottom ends to 800+ and they lived fine, just needs to be tuned safely.

vCash
    Lol, understandable. It unfortunately requires about 25-30% more fuel to run. If you keep it under 600 rwhp you can do 93 and be fine. However pro have pushed the stock bottom ends to 800+ and they lived fine, just needs to be tuned safely.

For what I ultimately want, my best bet is probably going e85 and leave the blower and pulley be. Just tune it super safe. Once I am ready to spend the money on an upgraded fuel system, I can go ahead and throw a cam, smaller pulley, headers, and a ported blower at it. With just the blower, I should be able to push close to high 10's with tires and maybe a stall.

vCash

For what I ultimately want, my best bet is probably going e85 and leave the blower and pulley be. Just tune it super safe. Once I am ready to spend the money on an upgraded fuel system, I can go ahead and throw a cam, smaller pulley, headers, and a ported blower at it. With just the blower, I should be able to push close to high 10's with tires and maybe a stall.

vCash
    Yeah definitely should, just the blower and E85 should keep you under 600ish. I went 11.2 with 492 rwhp so 520ish or so would have gotten me there. The stock LT1 fuel system runs out of fuel on ethanol I think around 550ish so ok low boost it's probably doable.

vCash
    Yeah definitely should, just the blower and E85 should keep you under 600ish. I went 11.2 with 492 rwhp so 520ish or so would have gotten me there. The stock LT1 fuel system runs out of fuel on ethanol I think around 550ish so ok low boost it's probably doable.

This comes with the LT4 high side pump. So I should be good there. I just don't know what the injectors top out at. I am not sure what the weak link in the fuel system is.

vCash
    This comes with the LT4 high side pump. So I should be good there. I just don't know what the injectors top out at. I am not sure what the weak link in the fuel system is.
    Ok cool, you'll still need the low side pump, it's only $160ish, and the injectors. You can usually find some that someone has removed but I bought them new for $49 each so right around $350. That should be ok on low boost and E85 as long as you don't go over about 600ish. There are a lot of opinions online about how far you can push the LT4 stuff but the consensus usually is around 600 is when you start running into trouble with it.

vCash
    Ok cool, you'll still need the low side pump, it's only $160ish, and the injectors. You can usually find some that someone has removed but I bought them new for $49 each so right around $350. That should be ok on low boost and E85 as long as you don't go over about 600ish. There are a lot of opinions online about how far you can push the LT4 stuff but the consensus usually is around 600 is when you start running into trouble with it.

Cool. I'm sitting here talking about buying a supercharger and I've had the car at full throttle all of 20 seconds in the time I've owned it. That said, I would like to hit up the drag strip and some car shows. There are a lot of nice tracks around me. I won't lose money on the deal anyway. Assuming I don't trash the tranny or rear end. I'm really not too worried about the motor.

How much did the stall converter help your times? What are you running for that? (What converter)
    Last edited by 383nitrouZ; 12-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.

vCash
    Cool. I'm sitting here talking about buying a supercharger and I've had the car at full throttle all of 20 seconds in the time I've owned it. That said, I would like to hit up the drag strip and some car shows. There are a lot of nice tracks around me. I won't lose money on the deal anyway. Assuming I don't trash the tranny or rear end. I'm really not too worried about the motor.

How much did the stall converter help your times? What are you running for that? (What converter)
    I ran 12.2 stock and then 11.2 with headers, a cam, drag pack and converter. Circle D is the company you want to contact for the converter but just a heads up they are not cheap, $1300 is how much it costs but you do get a free restall within the first year.

Last edited by Hyperion; 12-08-2019 at 06:34 AM.

vCash
    I ran 12.2 stock and then 11.2 with headers, a cam, drag pack and converter. Circle D is the company you want to contact for the converter but just a heads up they are not cheap, $1300 is how much it costs but you do get a free restall within the first year.

So you just jumped from 11.2 to 1200hp build. Bold. I like it.

Hopefully I can be entertained with the car and an LT4 setup for next year.

I'm not proud of it, but I do really want a ZL1 front bumper. Those things look damn good. If I am going to make the car relatively quick, I kind of want to keep the stock look though.

vCash
    So you just jumped from 11.2 to 1200hp build. Bold. I like it.

Hopefully I can be entertained with the car and an LT4 setup for next year.

I'm not proud of it, but I do really want a ZL1 front bumper. Those things look damn good. If I am going to make the car relatively quick, I kind of want to keep the stock look though.
    Lol well I was just going to do a Procharger with the LT4 fuel system and I bought the bigger F1 unit so I could grow into it but it was too big and ran out of fuel so I bought a secondary port injection system. Then thought I would be pushing the stock block so I bought a forged one and then Huron Speed came out with their twin turbo kit so I had to go that way because I like turbos more than blowers, didn't really start with this in mind.

With that set up, blower, LT4 fuel system, stall and sticky tire it will go 10s so you'll have to decide if that's enough for you but it sounds like it would be but I will warn you boost is very addictive and you'll want to feel more once it's on.

vCash
    Lol well I was just going to do a Procharger with the LT4 fuel system and I bought the bigger F1 unit so I could grow into it but it was too big and ran out of fuel so I bought a secondary port injection system. Then thought I would be pushing the stock block so I bought a forged one and then Huron Speed came out with their twin turbo kit so I had to go that way because I like turbos more than blowers, didn't really start with this in mind.

With that set up, blower, LT4 fuel system, stall and sticky tire it will go 10s so you'll have to decide if that's enough for you but it sounds like it would be but I will warn you boost is very addictive and you'll want to feel more once it's on.

That story sounds a lot like the story I'll end up telling in 2021

vCash
    That story sounds a lot like the story I'll end up telling in 2021
    Lol