Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 61 to 102 of 102

Thread: Tesla Cybertruck unveil on Nov 21 in LA near SpaceX rocket factory

  1. #61
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    90,343
    vCash
    1025

  2. #62
    Never Ends....
    PC PaiN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    24,834
    vCash
    5269
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I’d rather have a truck that is more susceptible to dents but doesn’t look like AIDS.
    Exactly.

    Can I meet the team that sat together in a room and decided this styling was worth it to combat door dings at the local piggly wiggly

  3. #63
    This Is The Way Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    42,561
    vCash
    363
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    Apparently they have received 200K preorders, according to Musk. WTF buys something like that?
    Musk also said the glass was unbreakable. I don't believe that number one bit.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 11-26-2019 at 07:21 PM.

  4. #64
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    90,343
    vCash
    1025
    It's only $100. Hell I almost did it anyway even after seeing the abotripon of a reveal

  5. #65
    Senior Member Sax1031's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Columbia,SC
    Posts
    109,081
    vCash
    47
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: vLEG10Nv
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    I would have loved something like this
    if that would have been the design this truck would have sold like gang busters.

  6. #66
    Registered Member Anthony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,332
    vCash
    6546
    Quote Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
    if that would have been the design this truck would have sold like gang busters.
    it has over 200k preorders...

  7. #67
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,632
    vCash
    8997
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    it has over 200k preorders...
    With only a $100 deposit it doesn't surprise me. The model 3 had a $1000 down for the preorder. I'm willing to bet many of those preorders aren't followed through with, once everything sinks in.

  8. #68
    What the cluck? GldRush98's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Springfield, IL.
    Posts
    53,422
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    5714
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    With only a $100 deposit it doesn't surprise me. The model 3 had a $1000 down for the preorder. I'm willing to bet many of those preorders aren't followed through with, once everything sinks in.
    It's a no-commitment $100 deposit, fully refundable. I bet the amount of people who will actually follow through with a purchase will be under 10%.

  9. #69
    Registered Member Anthony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,332
    vCash
    6546
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    With only a $100 deposit it doesn't surprise me. The model 3 had a $1000 down for the preorder. I'm willing to bet many of those preorders aren't followed through with, once everything sinks in.
    No doubt. But based on the available information, it’s already poised to “sell like hot cakes.”

  10. #70
    Registered Member Epic Bosnian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    53,840
    vCash
    67
    250k pre orders. Even if a small fraction of that number ends up being legit orders, first year of production is already sold out.

  11. #71
    This Is The Way Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    42,561
    vCash
    363
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Bosnian View Post
    250k pre orders. Even if a small fraction of that number ends up being legit orders, first year of production is already sold out.
    It will be a small fraction. Does anyone really think that this truck will sell 1/4 of the number of F trucks that Ford sells? It just doesn't make sense. Ford sold just almost 1.1 million F series globally in 2018. There's no way this thing will sell 250k units. This is just people doing a pre order for the novelty of it. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words but I really don't see them selling that many of these.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 11-27-2019 at 11:10 PM.

  12. #72
    Registered Member Epic Bosnian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    53,840
    vCash
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    It will be a small fraction. Does anyone really think that this truck will sell 1/4 of the number of F trucks that Ford sells? It just doesn't make sense. Ford sold just almost 1.1 million F series globally in 2018. There's no way this thing will sell 250k units. This is just people doing a pre order for the novelty of it. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words but I really don't see them selling that many of these.
    They'll sell that many but not in a single year. Even if the truck is the best ever, Tesla simply doesn't have the capacity at this time to challenge the big 3 volume.

  13. #73
    The Masters Call MTU 5.0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Hudson, MI
    Posts
    10,523
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    Apparently they have received 200K preorders, according to Musk. WTF buys something like that?
    It's only $100 to preorder, and it's refundable. A great way to stir up positive press, is what that is to me.

  14. #74
    The Masters Call MTU 5.0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Hudson, MI
    Posts
    10,523
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    I would have loved something like this
    Who rendered that? One of the Big 3 should buy the rights to that design. It looks futuristic, but not awful like the CT.

    Or Toyota should, as it would fit in with them too. Nissan sucks too bad to be considered.

  15. #75
    Bugzapper gonna zap 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    38,436
    vCash
    1016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTU 5.0 View Post
    Who rendered that? One of the Big 3 should buy the rights to that design. It looks futuristic, but not awful like the CT.

    Or Toyota should, as it would fit in with them too. Nissan sucks too bad to be considered.
    The big three aren’t going to make a unibody truck. It is nice looking though

  16. #76
    Registered Member Epic Bosnian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    53,840
    vCash
    67
    I'm quoting someone.......this is a hummer for millennials. They are not targeting your typical Trump voting truck owner.lol

  17. #77
    Registered Member zo6pilot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    8,877
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Bosnian View Post
    I'm quoting someone.......this is a hummer for millennials. They are not targeting your typical Trump voting truck owner.lol
    So a ugly useless pos for useless people...

  18. #78
    Registered Member Epic Bosnian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    53,840
    vCash
    67
    If unibody can be made to tow as much as a body on frame truck, what's the point of BoF?

  19. #79
    Registered Member zo6pilot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    8,877
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Bosnian View Post
    If unibody can be made to tow as much as a body on frame truck, what's the point of BoF?
    Probably nothing

  20. #80
    54 mph Fastball Ern's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bus 142, help
    Posts
    825
    vCash
    25
    It's kind of growing on me, like a stainless steel triangle fungus.....

  21. #81
    It's all in the game twig's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Traveling somewhere
    Posts
    17,744
    vCash
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    So a ugly useless pos for useless people...
    Spoken like a boomer who doesn't know what he's talking about

    How dare they market to a younger generation!

  22. #82
    Registered Member runningmole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,183
    vCash
    1283
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    So a ugly useless pos for useless people...
    They'll be everywhere in CA

  23. #83
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    90,343
    vCash
    1025
    Quote Originally Posted by twig View Post
    Spoken like a boomer who doesn't know what he's talking about

    How dare they market to a younger generation!

  24. #84
    Registered Member Epic Bosnian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    53,840
    vCash
    67
    Here is a render of something a bit softer and closer to what it may look in production. I like it.


    chariots of fire poem

  25. #85
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    90,343
    vCash
    1025
    Nope. Still a no.

  26. #86
    Stable Genius Jack Daniels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    81,064
    vCash
    25500
    Has Tesla come out and said this was all an elaborate joke yet?

  27. #87
    Registered Member FirehawkNS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    31,069
    vCash
    14525
    Quote Originally Posted by MTU 5.0 View Post
    Who rendered that? One of the Big 3 should buy the rights to that design. It looks futuristic, but not awful like the CT.

    Or Toyota should, as it would fit in with them too. Nissan sucks too bad to be considered.
    That kind of looks like it could be a natural evolution of a Tundra in the future.

  28. #88
    Bugzapper gonna zap 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    38,436
    vCash
    1016
    Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkNS View Post
    That kind of looks like it could be a natural evolution of a Tundra in the future.
    Toyota could definitely build something that ugly. Except theirs would run 14s and the frame would still rust.

  29. #89
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    173,382
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    0
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but I have a question that I didn't think merited its own thread.

    With electric vehicles, could we see brake pads/rotors as being a thing of the past? Seems like the electric motors could simply slow down/reverse just as well as traditional brakes being applied.

  30. #90
    This Is The Way Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    42,561
    vCash
    363
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but I have a question that I didn't think merited its own thread.

    With electric vehicles, could we see brake pads/rotors as being a thing of the past? Seems like the electric motors could simply slow down/reverse just as well as traditional brakes being applied.
    No

  31. #91
    LS2.com Sponsor

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,079
    vCash
    13987
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but I have a question that I didn't think merited its own thread.

    With electric vehicles, could we see brake pads/rotors as being a thing of the past? Seems like the electric motors could simply slow down/reverse just as well as traditional brakes being applied.
    The short answer is no, you most likely won't disappear off the cars, but they will probably be a lifetime wear item, i.e. no need to replace. Driving around, I almost never use the brake pedal, mostly regen (motor) braking. Except in case of emergency.

    There are a few reasons for it, but I think it mostly has to do with how hard you need to brake. You'd need huge motors to be able to achieve that kind of braking for one, and then also all the energy would have to go somewhere, so you would need a battery capable of absorbing that much energy in a short time. And you run the risk of some issue with the battery not being able to absorb the energy (like if it's really cold, regen braking is limited).

  32. #92
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    173,382
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovidiu View Post
    The short answer is no, you most likely won't disappear off the cars, but they will probably be a lifetime wear item, i.e. no need to replace. Driving around, I almost never use the brake pedal, mostly regen (motor) braking. Except in case of emergency.

    There are a few reasons for it, but I think it mostly has to do with how hard you need to brake. You'd need huge motors to be able to achieve that kind of braking for one, and then also all the energy would have to go somewhere, so you would need a battery capable of absorbing that much energy in a short time. And you run the risk of some issue with the battery not being able to absorb the energy (like if it's really cold, regen braking is limited).
    I figured i'd work similar to how a drill stops suddenly after being at a high RPM.

  33. #93
    SW:244 CW:214 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    59,562
    vCash
    25
    Also need brakes when the battery is cold and regen is drastically reduced. Kinda caught me off guard the other day when it when it was ~20 degrees all day and my battery was cold soaked. It felt like an ICE car coasting. Had to adjust my driving habit. There are talks of blending the brakes in more so it feels linear all the time but that would be bad on snow/ice conditions.

  34. #94
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    173,382
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    0
    This is all news to me. Thanks for the explanation, fellas.

  35. #95
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Bay & AZ
    Posts
    125,752
    vCash
    23379
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    This is all news to me. Thanks for the explanation, fellas.
    i think whats more freaky is that there are 3 settings for the "foot off the gas and brake" setting

    which do you use Mike

    Btw ... got to play inside the Y for a bit today .... i dig it they had the 3, Y , X in the garage side by side ... Y sits much higher.

  36. #96
    SW:244 CW:214 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    59,562
    vCash
    25
    Strongest regen, hill hold, no creep. 1 pedal driving FTMFW

  37. #97
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Bay & AZ
    Posts
    125,752
    vCash
    23379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Strongest regen, hill hold, no creep. 1 pedal driving FTMFW
    did it take a while getting used to that? Seems soo counterintuitive to what we've been used to

  38. #98
    LS2.com Sponsor

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,079
    vCash
    13987
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Strongest regen, hill hold, no creep. 1 pedal driving FTMFW
    I do the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    did it take a while getting used to that? Seems soo counterintuitive to what we've been used to
    Not that long. The car keeps braking so there's no need to do it. I still hover, but I pretty much never need to actually brake to come to a stop.
    Weirdest was/is backing out of the garage, mine has a pretty steep incline, so it's a little weird having to accelerate backwards downhill.

  39. #99
    SW:244 CW:214 GW:200 Mike Hawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    59,562
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    did it take a while getting used to that? Seems soo counterintuitive to what we've been used to
    The first few hours people will think you just got your learners permit with how erratic you're driving. After a day or so it becomes very natural though.

    It has changed my driving habits for sure. It's a pretty mellow slow down from my usual habit so I still find myself having to manually apply brakes if I'm in a rush, usually when I'm trying to beat someone and remove any ambiguity at a 4 way stop.

  40. #100
    Stable Genius Jack Daniels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    81,064
    vCash
    25500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Strongest regen, hill hold, no creep. 1 pedal driving FTMFW
    Do you have it set to scan for lost pennies on the street?

  41. #101
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    173,382
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    Do you have it set to scan for lost pennies on the street?
    I can just see this laser beam scanning the ground and all of a sudden the car stops and a little mechanism reaches down and picks up a penny... and then the car continues on.

  42. #102
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    90,343
    vCash
    1025

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •