Thread: Sealants are the future for shade tree detailers. Honda Odyssey exterior correction

vCash

Sealants are the future for shade tree detailers. Honda Odyssey exterior correction

Not my proudest detail

Garage kept 2016 Honda Odyssey with 18k miles. Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax had been applied a few times in the past but other than it had no decontamination nor correction.
    Only a few places had swirls that I could tell. As usual with white it's a PITA (and blessing) to not be able to detect swirls or hazing.

The paint was super dry though. Main reason I went into such effort to correct and protect it was to make maintenance washes less frequent and easier. Road grime and bugs have a hard time sticking to a protected car.

Took ~12 hours to do the following:

1. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine using the Optimum Big Red Sponge for the first time. That took some getting used to coming from a micro fiber wash mitt to apply the ONR. It takes a lot more water to use the BRS. The BRS is basically just an ONR delivery system to get ONR onto your paint. Any bug guts or surface contaminants that haven't flowed off the paint with the ONR will then be scrubbed and/or lifted using your drying towel, not the wash mitt like I used previously. The BRS is not used in scrubbing. After getting the hang of the BRS I like it a lot. Its nuts spending $20 for a sponge but whatcha gonna do?
    2. Dried using The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 500 Microfiber towels. I love this towel, very fluffy. Buy extra though. The 4 pack I bought had to be washed mid correction cause I had gone thru them all and knew I'd need them again later on in the day. ~3 would be an okay number to use on your average maintenance drying session though.
    3. Iron decontamination. I used Eagle One Black & Plasti-Coat Wheel Cleaner. Same active ingredients as the other iron removers but at a fraction of the cost. I let it dwell for a few minutes. I was pretty amazed at how much iron was on the paint that was getting dissolved.
    4. Rinsed the van off with hose water. There was NO beading at this point, it definitely needed some protection.
    5. Physical decontamination. While the van was still wet I went over it with Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 using ONR at lubrication dilution (1 table spoon ONR to 32oz water in a spray bottle) to lubricate the panels. First time using a speed clay. Don't know if it was the amount of pressure I was using or what not but I don't know if this really helped the paint much. Luckily this step went quickly and easily as compared to a traditional clay bar. I couldn't tell that any hazing or swirls were introduced with this speed bar, so that's a positive.
    6. Washed a second time with ONR + BRS + dried with Eagle 500 towels to get any residual iron spray or clay lube off the van.
    7. Paint correction and added gloss. I thought about skipping this step as I couldn't see any swirls. However I'm glad I did it because the paint felt a lot slicker after I was done. I used a Griot's Garage 6" Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher + 5 inch backing plate + 5.5 inch white (medium cut) pad + Meguiar's Ultimate Polish + The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350 Microfiber towels. Lots of work but I felt it was worth it. It should make the sealent stick around longer now that the clear coat was properly prepped.
    8. The previous steps took up ~90% of the total time I worked on the van At this point I could have gone with a full blown consumer ceramic like CQuartz UK 3.0. I decided to keep it easy, simple, and cheap. I went with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine Hybrid Sealant Spray. This stuff is amazing. Previously I had been using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax which needs to be buffed on with a DA or by hand. Ultimate Liquid Wax was easy to apply and remove but Ice takes it to another level. Simply spray on and then wipe it around with a microfiber to make sure everything is coated. For excessive streaking or smears, switch to another towel and buff off.

So there ya have it. I'm partial to white (my DD is also white). After a detail is the only time I wish I had a darker colored car to really show off the gloss. The van looks decent in person but it really doesn't pop. I'm kinda excited to see how it'll look after a few weeks of driving around or getting hit with some rain. Hopefully it'll just look the same.

I don't see why anyone would use a traditional wax at this point in the game. Spray sealants seem like the no brainer to me when it comes to protection.

In other news I'm somewhat excited to see that Turtle Wax later this month is releasing a ceramic hybrid: Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray. I was hoping it'd protect even longer than Ice but initial reviews from Youtube detailers show that isn't the case under torture tests. Hopefully the ceramic will add further gloss, we'll see as more reviews come out to see if it's any better than Ice.

vCash
    I couldn’t ever spend that much time on a vehicle, only to top it with any turtle wax product.

vCash
    I would have never given Turtle Wax the time of day as well. I was originally researching which consumer ceramic to use on my Tesla. I started to see this TWSS product mentioned so I started going down that research path for my other two cars. It's gotten glowing reviews from all the YouTubers and forum guys. It's dirt cheap at $10 a bottle, enough to do at least two cars.

Turtle Wax has really stepped up their game.

I could simply strip the sealant off with an APC and use something else if I wanted to. . The biggest effort is getting the clear coat prepped.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    I've finally come about to the ONR game after years and years of conventional two bucket wash methods. Comically, having to clean a vintage 911 is what converted me. Water likes to collect in lots of areas and I'm not a fan of water dumping into the engine bay despite the carbs having rain hats.

Being able to wash indoors is awesome as well.

Mike, check out P&S Beadmaker if you haven't already. I haven't used many spray sealants, but I've been happy with Beadmaker. I haven't waxed a car since trying it.

vCash
    I've heard of Beadmaker before. I'm trying to not go down that path of using multiple products for layers or toppers but heck if it's as easy and cheap to use as TWSS I might reconsider

vCash
    Are kits like this worth a shit? I want to do paint correction on my cars but initial buy in seems kinda high between tools and products.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/torqx-c...QaAgPUEALw_wcB

I like to do the breaking in person LV2XLR8's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: That LSU Guy
    No way I'm washing a car for 12 hours, especially a mini-van!

vCash
    Future posting on Honda Forum FS/W Vehicles:

2016 Honda Odyssey - 22k miles (all highway), garage kept, adult owned, never seen snow or rain, synthetic oil changes every 2.5k miles with Royal Purple, never beaten on or tracked, washed and waxed every Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I couldn’t ever spend that much time on a vehicle, only to top it with any turtle wax product.
    The newer Turtle Wax spray sealants and detail sprays are good stuff. Just look at the youtube review videos of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine.

One thing I will say about the TW Seal and Shine is that it does not smell good at all. It's pretty awful actually. I had to open the garage while spraying it on because it was so strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post
    Are kits like this worth a shit? I want to do paint correction on my cars but initial buy in seems kinda high between tools and products.

I would just buy a Porter Cable 7424xp and then get a pad set for it. Nothing wrong with the chemical guys pads but it's hard to beat the PC for the average joe. Mine has been going strong for almost 10 years now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post

You're gonna be dropping several Benjamins if you're starting from scratch no matter which way you go

Just think of it as an investment that should last you the life of several cars. And how much money you're saving vs having a shop correct/detail your car.

It's a shit ton of information to consume if you're beginning. Watch a few YouTube videos. I like Pan the Organizer, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0...jfP2982jVH6WkQ

Or hang out on r/AutoDetailing

There should be plenty of beginner vids / product lists to help you out. Or, ya know use all the crap I mentioned in my OP
    Last edited by Mike Hawk; 11-05-2019 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    wtf

Whataburger > *

vCash

vCash
    Now do a cool car

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
    Now do a cool car
    His other car is a Tesla 3 so you’re out of luck.

vCash
    Oh snip snap

Sail into the Black Bird of Fire's Avatar

vCash
    Curious why the avoidance for a modern clay towel?

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Fire View Post
    Curious why the avoidance for a modern clay towel?
    Clay towel is the shiznit

vCash
    Link?

I bought the mothers clay at Wally on a whim a couple weeks back thinking I was gonna detail that weekend and didn't wanna wait on Amazon.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Link?

I bought the mothers clay at Wally on a whim a couple weeks back thinking I was gonna detail that weekend and didn't wanna wait on Amazon.
    Speedy Surface Prep - Fine Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091II8X8..._rJIWDbRVAEFC9

Used it on our old beater that had impossible to remove tree trash all over the hood. Thing is legit

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PC PaiN View Post
    Speedy Surface Prep - Fine Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091II8X8..._rJIWDbRVAEFC9

Used it on our old beater that had impossible to remove tree trash all over the hood. Thing is legit
    legit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PC PaiN View Post
    Clay towel is the shiznit
    Love mine

Saves soooo much time.

Registered Member

vCash
    I just polish my baby with zymol whenever I feel the paint needs it. 2016 4Runner SR5 midnight black.

She gets compliments but I just say the truck is nothing fancy as it has no four wheel drive, no crawl control and only the stock suspension.

She's just really shiny.

vCash
    The only bad thing about traditional clay is that if you drop it, it's trash. I've used clay bar, clay towel and clay mitt and I haven't see any sort of time savings or advantage from using the mitt or cloth vs. the bar.

vCash
    Much wider contact patch with the mitt/towel. Zero possibility of any clay residue being left behind on the paint as well.

vCash
    Much wider contact patch with the mitt/towel. Zero possibility of any clay residue being left behind on the paint as well.
    I've never had any problem with residue using clay. I actually prefer the smaller contact area just to make sure I get full coverage and don't miss anything.

Nothing wrong with the alternatives but given the choice, I'll use clay just because of personal preference.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 11-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.

vCash
    I have the BRS. I've used it a handful of times, but it waste so much of the ONR solution. Especially for any vertical surfaces, it's a joke. So I stopped using it. Turtle Wax has really stepped up with their products though.
    Last edited by LS1MONSTER; 11-06-2019 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER View Post
    I have the BRS. I've used it a handful of times, but it waste so much of the ONR solution. Especially for any vertical surfaces, it's a joke. So I stopped using it.
    I whip up a 2 gallon mixture 95% of the time. Sometimes I do 1 gallon if the car just has a very light dusting and no real road grime. Using the BRS with a 2 gallon mixture I'm down to about 1/4-1/2 a gallon at the end. I'm okay with that though as the mixture and BRS aren't grit infested like when I use a MF mitt. All the grit is washing off and hitting the floor instead. Seems like a win to me

Enough is enough.

vCash
    it's a minivan. why bother. that's like polishing your toaster.

vCash
    1) It still gets dirty and needs to be cleaned every now and then. Now grime won't stick to it as badly. Heck I could probably coin wash it and get hand wash results
    2) It was a guinea pig for me to test out the decon materials/techniques before I apply them to my Tesla. Soon all 3 of our cars will bling bling with sealants or ceramics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I've never had any problem with residue using clay. I actually prefer the smaller contact area just to make sure I get full coverage and don't miss anything.

Nothing wrong with the alternatives but given the choice, I'll use clay just because of personal preference.
    Makes sense actually given how you use it. That's cool, never thought of it that way.

vCash
    Alright Mike so the SS and my truck I've relatively recently (last month or so) done a full clay/polish/wax job using meguiars (that's what I'm comfy with) shit. So....with that in mind would you recommend that I just do a good wash and while I'm doing that give it a ole spray a rooni with this turtle wax chingas to keep what I got going even longer? Is that more or less what it's designed to do? Just extend your hard work out further to keep it looking great? Application seems easy enough that on my next wash which will likely be this weekend I'm totally down to try.

vCash
    Link to wax you used? Probably best to remove it completely with an iron decontamination and a heavy all purpose cleaner so you're starting out with straight up fresh uncoated clear coat. You'll know your wax is gone when there is no beading forming. That way the sealant will last as long as it can. 3-6-12 months I think? Might wait till that ceramic hybrid drops here in a week or so. Two coats of that and it should give you a guaranteed 12 months of coverage I believe with more gloss than TWISS. I'm still waiting on more real world reviews to come out.

Or just spray it on and go live life

vCash
    Gamer IDs

IMO, spray that shit on clean paint and see how it turns out.

I use Beadmaker over plenty of waxes. No issues.

It's pretty foolproof. In fact, the best feature for me is that it's safe on glass, trim, rubber, essentially all surfaces. It's like Frank's Red Hot; you put that shit on everything.
    Last edited by Locker537; 11-06-2019 at 10:56 PM.

vCash
    Link to wax you used? Probably best to remove it completely with an iron decontamination and a heavy all purpose cleaner so you're starting out with straight up fresh uncoated clear coat. You'll know your wax is gone when there is no beading forming. That way the sealant will last as long as it can. 3-6-12 months I think? Might wait till that ceramic hybrid drops here in a week or so. Two coats of that and it should give you a guaranteed 12 months of coverage I believe with more gloss than TWISS. I'm still waiting on more real world reviews to come out.

Or just spray it on and go live life
    I use Meguiar's G18220, ultimate liquid.

@ franks red hot

vCash
    Alright Mike so the SS and my truck I've relatively recently (last month or so) done a full clay/polish/wax job using meguiars (that's what I'm comfy with) shit. So....with that in mind would you recommend that I just do a good wash and while I'm doing that give it a ole spray a rooni with this turtle wax chingas to keep what I got going even longer? Is that more or less what it's designed to do? Just extend your hard work out further to keep it looking great? Application seems easy enough that on my next wash which will likely be this weekend I'm totally down to try.
    You can buy a strip wash from Chemical Guys or Adams. You'll likely have to wash it a few times to get all of that fresh wax off though. You can also use a product called Mequiar's Car Wash Plus. It will probably do a better job at removing wax as it has mild abrasives in it. I would only do that if you're going to do paint correction though.

vCash
    G18220 is also a sealant even though they call it a wax. I think you should be fine adding / layering TWISS on top of it.

vCash
    seriously, wtf

vCash

The clay towels are only like 15-20$. Give one a try and you'll see the light. I'll try the turtle wax product on my daily driver if you try the clay towel

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

vCash
    Clay towels are awesome. Clayd my car while washing it with ONR since you can use the ONR as the lube and it took maybe an extra 15mins tops. I used a clay bar once and hated it so much due to how inconvenient and time consuming it was I'll never touch another one.
    Last edited by Tunavelli; 11-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunavelli View Post
    Clay towels are awesome. Clayd my car while washing it with ONR since you can use the ONR as the lube and it took maybe an extra 15mins tops. I used a clay bar once and hated it so much due to how inconvenient and time consuming it was I'll never touch another one.
    I'm not on the ONR train (yet), but I use car wash soap as lubricant for the towel as well. Works fine and so much quicker

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

vCash
    I'm not on the ONR train (yet), but I use car wash soap as lubricant for the towel as well. Works fine and so much quicker
    Give ONR a try some time, even works well in winter cutting through salt and shit. If you ceramic spray your car (I used hydroselix) it's the simplest and fastest wash ever. Takes me about an hour for a wash with wheels and the interior windows.
    Last edited by Tunavelli; 11-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.

vCash
    The clay towels are only like 15-20$. Give one a try and you'll see the light. I'll try the turtle wax product on my daily driver if you try the clay towel
    I've used a clay towel and a clay mitt. I still prefer conventional clay.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Honestly, the best part of ONR is I use very warm water IN the garage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post

I only use ONR when it's cold outside.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    OnR is the best thing that has ever happened to car washing

and this is a game changer for wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Detailers-Pre...229783&sr=8-11

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    Truth. It has ceased my November through March dirty car habits.

vCash
    Update: So I grabbed this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What can I say, I'm a sucker for moar ratings, more butter.

Results:

It's a 2010, so the paint is what it is. Not perfect but pretty damn good for almost ten years old. It was already treated as described earlier, so no need to rehash. Take aways:

- Could not be easier to apply.
    - Holy shit these products are amazing for what they are (spray on and literally wipe off next to no effort)
    - Great sheen but nothing mind blowing.
    - We'll see how well the "ceramic" aspect lasts on the camaro. If I can extend the between waxings using this, money well spent.
    - I still hate you OP. But god damnit do I respect you.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Im still stuck on spending 12 hours washing a mini-van...

vCash
    Nice turnout Bofs :FeelsGoodMan: I was super skeptical of spray waxes/protectants. Needless to say I've turned a 180 on that Even if they only provide a month or two of protection they are super easy to reapply.

Mogs, it is what it is. Crap dd's and shit vans just like fat girls need love too yano?

I drove the van to work today in ~30 degree misty / light rain crap weather. It was nice to get out at work and look back and the van was looking dam nice. Water just flew off the windshield and sides. Looks like I had just washed it.

vCash
    I Spent about 6 hours yesterday finally getting around to correcting the Jeep.

Washed and Bared ->Chemical guys V32 in some spots -> V34 in others -> V36 all over -> V38 all over -> P40 polish all over -> Chemical Guys Mirror wet glaze on front (started running out of time/daylight) -> Chemical Guys Carnuba Wax). I have one area that needs some additional work where Car washes have scratched the side bottoms deeper then I had time to go into, but the rest came out awesome.

I have been meaning to buy a mit and try it as everyone around here has been raving on it. The Clay bar did just fine yesterday.

vCash
    Nice turnout Bofs :FeelsGoodMan: I was super skeptical of spray waxes/protectants. Needless to say I've turned a 180 on that Even if they only provide a month or two of protection they are super easy to reapply.
    Exactly right. And you know what there are still no free lunches in life, you have to put in work to get results, and the camaro looked pretty damn hot to begin with, and that was after a hard days work of the 3 usual suspects. So there's that. But with how easy it is to apply/take off after a basic ONR car wash I'm all about it yannow?

Enough is enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Im still stuck on spending 12 hours washing a mini-van...
    this. that shit would get the cheapest auto-wash once in a while, and a $1.25 gas station vacuum used on the interior.

again, like polishing a toaster.

vCash
    Update: So I grabbed this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What can I say, I'm a sucker for moar ratings, more butter.

Results:

It's a 2010, so the paint is what it is. Not perfect but pretty damn good for almost ten years old. It was already treated as described earlier, so no need to rehash. Take aways:

- Could not be easier to apply.
    - Holy shit these products are amazing for what they are (spray on and literally wipe off next to no effort)
    - Great sheen but nothing mind blowing.
    - We'll see how well the "ceramic" aspect lasts on the camaro. If I can extend the between waxings using this, money well spent.
    - I still hate you OP. But god damnit do I respect you.
    That’ll be quite the fleet after you get rid of those god awful wheels on the truck.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by SwollHottie View Post
    this. that shit would get the cheapest auto-wash once in a while, and a $1.25 gas station vacuum used on the interior.
    again, like polishing a toaster.
    Yep! Seriously, who has that kind of time on their hands?

vCash
    That’ll be quite the fleet after you get rid of those god awful wheels on the truck.
    Anything beats the chromed out twenties it had. Not my first choice but it fit the budget.

All cops everywhere suck Lieutenant Rice's Avatar

vCash
    Looks pretty good.... regardless of the detail- it’s a Honda

I’ve been using Speed 3D with very impressive results. I gave my friend a quick lesson with clay/buff on his 2019 F150 using 3D and it came out perfect. Have to do the Accord before it gets too cold

Super Dee Duper Moderator

vCash
    I went with CMX on my SwagginWagon

vCash
    Gamer IDs

What do people like to use on their wheels?

I'm considering dropping some escarole on a spare set. That way, I'll have two sets for track use.

I see people ceramic coat them to help with keeping them clean.