Thread: Toyota Tacoma Crew? Do we have one?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pgg97ss

Toyota Tacoma Crew? Do we have one?

So, I picked up a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago, a 2009 with 85k on the clock and so far, I'm very pleased with this lil truck. I'm currently working in Orange Texas but traveling back home to just outside New Orleans on the weekends and my Silverado (which has been perfect since I bought it new in '09) is approaching 177k miles. I wanted something that would be a little newer/less miles and reliable for all my driving back and fourth and I have left my Z71 home for my son to drive. The only minor concerns/questions I have about the Tacoma is the A/C blows through the defrost vent onto the windshield so I get some condensation build up along the bottom. And, I have on headlight that shines level and one that shines up..............I assume this may be due to improper installation on the one that shines up.

Anybody have any experience with these trucks? Especially the A/C? Is there a baffle/vent stuck under the dash causing the A/C to blow through the dash vent? I know these are solid trucks and they hold their value well and I'm looking forward to handing it off to my son is/when he goes off to college next year. I was just wondering if any of you had any advice/experience or things to look out for on these trucks.

My new used ride

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road that I purchased new. I love it. It's been a great truck. It's coming up on 80K miles.

1) The frames still rust to the point of complete failure. My neighbor's 2009 was recalled and they replaced the frame. This was a few months ago. At this point, I expect to have to deal with this on mine in the future. I'm in New England.
    2) There is no way to check the transmission fluid, and technically requires a special machine to do a proper replace and refill of the fluid. This is annoying.
    3) The rear leaf springs have plastic shims to prevent squeaking. They like to fail and fall out. The truck sounds like a hooptie when this happens.
    4) My truck likes to blow the driver's side headlight. I've replaced it ~6 times. I've replaced the passenger side once.

vCash
    Well that blows.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pgg97ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road that I purchased new. I love it. It's been a great truck. It's coming up on 80K miles.

1) The frames still rust to the point of complete failure. My neighbor's 2009 was recalled and they replaced the frame. This was a few months ago. At this point, I expect to have to deal with this on mine in the future. I'm in New England.
    2) There is no way to check the transmission fluid, and technically requires a special machine to do a proper replace and refill of the fluid. This is annoying.
    3) The rear leaf springs have plastic shims to prevent squeaking. They like to fail and fall out. The truck sounds like a hooptie when this happens.
    4) My truck likes to blow the driver's side headlight. I've replaced it ~6 times. I've replaced the passenger side once.
    Is the rust do to salting the roads? The undercarriage of mine is extremely clean, of course, the dealership could have cleaned the hell out of it but there is no sign of rust or fluid leaks.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    Is the rust do to salting the roads? The undercarriage of mine is extremely clean, of course, the dealership could have cleaned the hell out of it but there is no sign of rust or fluid leaks.
    Yes, without a doubt. Hopefully never an issue for a Texas truck.

Granted, I'm happy Toyota stands by their vehicles and replaces frames years after the warranty has ended.

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
    Yes, without a doubt. Hopefully never an issue for a Texas truck.

Granted, I'm happy Toyota stands by their vehicles and replaces frames years after the warranty has ended.
    They lost a big class action lawsuit over it but before that they told you to get lost

Super Moderator

vCash
    Still???
    They bought back my '96 for a rotten frame. I really liked that truck... But without a frame. I need a full size truck nowadays anyway, have had 2 Silverados.

vCash
    Still rocking my 2006 access cab. Just put on OME 883 springs with adj Bilstein 5100's and Firestone air bags on the rear. 148k
    Last edited by Blain; 10-05-2019 at 05:29 AM.

vCash
    For some reason it is the official truck of Hawaii. I bet it is 10-1 over any other truck. Considering the frame rust issues I was really shocked.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Older ones seem solid, not counting the frames.

New ones are just not cost effective, and are severely lacking in ride quality, mpg, and the trans shifts like absolute shit.
    Also, they suck if you're over 6ft tall.

My gripe with every mid size truck is the engines. Aside from the underpowered baby Dmax, EVERY midsize runs a car engine, with a powerband that is not suited to a truck. Imo, they all need a 4.0,at the least, and honestly, put the 5.3 in the GM twins, and the 2.7eb in the ranger.

All are rated to tow 6,500+lbs
    What, for 15mi,a few times a year?

I'd be comfortable towing less than half that with any of them.
    I really like the size of the Gm twins, and the Ranger. Just wish they had a decent engine.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 10-05-2019 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Older ones seem solid, not counting the frames.

New ones are just not cost effective, and are severely lacking in ride quality, mpg, and the trans shifts like absolute shit.
    Also, they suck if you're over 6ft tall.

My gripe with every mid size truck is the engines. Aside from the underpowered baby Dmax, EVERY midsize runs a car engine, with a powerband that is not suited to a truck. Imo, they all need a 4.0,at the least, and honestly, put the 5.3 in the GM twins, and the 2.7eb in the ranger.

All are rated to tow 6,500+lbs
    What, for 15mi,a few times a year?

I'd be comfortable towing less than half that with any of them.
    I really like the size of the Gm twins, and the Ranger. Just wish they had a decent engine.
    fuck the 2.7eb. a ranger with the 5.0 would be a blast.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TTU98SS
    No but I will say this. They have unbelievable resale value. You can lease one stupid cheap

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TTU View Post
    No but I will say this. They have unbelievable resale value. You can lease one stupid cheap
    Word. That's a big part of why I haven't moved on to something else. A 1/2 ton would depreciate more rolling it off the lot than my Tacoma has in 8 years...

Well, maybe not quite, but close!