Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24

Those of you won don't trust lifetime transmission fluid

Directly from the manufacturer.

Spoiler:  
    You were right

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Their definition of "lifetime", and mine greatly differ.

They call a lifetime, about 120,000mi,and assume people trade up every 5 or so yrs.

Myself, lifetime better be 300,000mi. Since that isnt possible, make the fucker serviceable, with an external, spin on filter.

Wife's Enclave? Not serviceable. Trans died at 60,000mi.
    Par fot that vehicle.

Also, it says a lot, that ZF, makers of the best autos in the world, say that lifetime fluid is bullshit.

There are going to be some very clean vehicles out there, 6yrs from now, with wrecked 10spds in them.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 08-18-2019 at 07:46 PM.

vCash
    Yeah I think that "lifetime" means out of warranty. The ZF 8 speeds in FCA vehicles claim "lifetime" fluid, but ZF wants you to change it every 60k miles.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    I never understood why they market those things that way. Trans services are something the dealer can use to generate revenue. It doesn't cost the manufacturer anything and it helps prolong the part. Just stupid to say that they're lifetime.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 08-18-2019 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    I never understood why they market those things that way. Trans services are something the dealer can use to generate revenue. It doesn't cost the manufacturer anything and it helps prolong the part. Just stupid to say that they're lifetime.
    Because a $220 service at 60k makes the dealer less than a $5,000+ full replacement once the warranty is out.

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Because a $220 service at 60k makes the dealer less than a $5,000+ full replacement once the warranty is out.
    I don't think companies like ZF are going to be worried about what the dealer is going to pocket. For a company like ZF who is putting a mertic shit ton of their transmissions across so many makes/models it greatly benefits from making them as small as possible so they can fit them or make them easier to package in. Imagine how much the cost would be for them to go and design a serviceable filter/pan for a them all and then add in the cost to produce/stock them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roush97 View Post
    I don't think companies like ZF are going to be worried about what the dealer is going to pocket. For a company like ZF who is putting a mertic shit ton of their transmissions across so many makes/models it greatly benefits from making them as small as possible so they can fit them or make them easier to package in. Imagine how much the cost would be for them to go and design a serviceable filter/pan for a them all and then add in the cost to produce/stock them
    They aren't, like the video said.
    The auto mfg says it's lifetime, the company says it's not.

vCash

They call a lifetime, about 120,000mi,and assume people trade up every 5 or so yrs.

Myself, lifetime better be 300,000mi. Since that isnt possible, make the fucker serviceable, with an external, spin on filter.

Par fot that vehicle.

Also, it says a lot, that ZF, makers of the best autos in the world, say that lifetime fluid is bullshit.

There are going to be some very clean vehicles out there, 6yrs from now, with wrecked 10spds in them.
    Fluid change in an Enclave is easier than an oil change. I do it at 50K and then every 25K, since you only get about 5-6qts out, at least this way a decent chunk of the fluid is fresh. If yours failed because of the waveplate issue that affected the early years, fluid won't help.

Will have to do it in the 6L80 in the SS next spring, I know that procedure is rather complex in comparison.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Dealers dont want to sell you a transmission I can promise you that

If anything it is the opposite. The dealer wants to sell trans flush, coolant flush, induction service and etc as people.will pay the $100 -$300 those products run.

Dealers know you are not paying $5k to replace your entire unit.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 08-19-2019 at 02:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Also more than willing to bet your Enclave trans went out from wave plate issues, not fluid issues.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 08-19-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    No.....you are dumb and wrong.

A trans job is mostly all parts and little labor. Also they know it is a big job and your car will sit in the lot for a week or more between break down, deciding to fix, getting parts (order only), and fixing.

Service wants fast in and out jobs at dealers. Your trans job is more of a waste to them and I promise you that as someone that has sold trans jobs for GM.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 08-19-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    There is also bonus and incentives for the service advisor as well as the service as a whole to sell flush services such as BG and the like.

No one wants to sell you a job like a trans just cause it has a big cost number to you. Truth is to the advisor they will make more selling a couple flushes that same day.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 08-19-2019 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    We have 181k miles on the trans fluid in the Civic... 2010 automagic. Zero problems.

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    They aren't, like the video said.
    The auto mfg says it's lifetime, the company says it's not.
    you can still change the fluid in them. It's not as easy as dropping the pan like before but I'm not current on every new one out there. I know the ZF8 says the lifetime of the fluid is 8 years or 100,000 miles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roush97 View Post
    you can still change the fluid in them. It's not as easy as dropping the pan like before but I'm not current on every new one out there. I know the ZF8 says the lifetime of the fluid is 8 years or 100,000 miles
    I'm not sure what you are arguing about.

I never said you couldn't, I'm saying the auto mfg said it's lifetime, whereas the company that built it says it is not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    No.....you are dumb and wrong.

A trans job is mostly all parts and little labor. Also they know it is a big job and your car will sit in the lot for a week or more between break down, deciding to fix, getting parts (order only), and fixing.

Service wants fast in and out jobs at dealers. Your trans job is more of a waste to them and I promise you that as someone that has sold trans jobs for GM.

I was a Service writer, and parts mgr for a medium duty Isuzu/Gmc dealership, and I promise we would rather sell a new trans and instal than a $200 service.

Blog Entries
    vCash

I was a Service writer, and parts mgr for a medium duty Isuzu/Gmc dealership, and I promise we would rather sell a new trans and instal than a $200 service.
    I was a service advisor and Parts manager for 10 yrs and part of that with GM.

I can assure you we rather sell a bunch of 60k services with a trans flush than a whole trans unit.

vCash
    Seems like it's a lot easier to make profit off a $200 service that takes 20 minutes on a lift, vs trying to beat book time on a transmission R&R.

vCash
    Seems more and more “techs” can only follow guidelines nowadays, rather than actual common sense repair process. If the book says do A, B, C, &D, then replace transmission, instead of fluid/filter changes at regular intervals, that’s all they’re gonna do.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Seems like it's a lot easier to make profit off a $200 service that takes 20 minutes on a lift, vs trying to beat book time on a transmission R&R.
    Correct and you have to take into account the dead time the car is on the lift as well when parts, other jobs, and things like that get in the way of completion.

Dealers do not want to do heavy line work (trans, engine rebuild, etc) it is much more efficient for them to do quick in and out services.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
    Seems more and more “techs” can only follow guidelines nowadays, rather than actual common sense repair process. If the book says do A, B, C, &D, then replace transmission, instead of fluid/filter changes at regular intervals, that’s all they’re gonna do.
    Warranty forces a LOT of that.

Most companies don't just say "replace trans". You have to go through 3-4 steps of bullshit for them to even get to that point. It isn't the techs as a lot of times they hate it just as much.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt

Par fot that vehicle.

Enclave is serviceable. There is a drain on the bottom of the pan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    We have 181k miles on the trans fluid in the Civic... 2010 automagic. Zero problems.
    A Honda automatic at 180 with zero problems = unicorn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    I was a service advisor and Parts manager for 10 yrs and part of that with GM.

I can assure you we rather sell a bunch of 60k services with a trans flush than a whole trans unit.
    60k service, otherwise known as "the gravy train" for technicians

vCash
    The reason why OEMs push spark plugs, filters, fluid changes to as infrequent as possible and regular instead of premium is because of the 'true cost to own' calculators. There is a lot of weight put on those as customers and magazines rely on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboost View Post
    A Honda automatic at 180 with zero problems = unicorn
    I'm riding that bitch as long as I can.