Thread: TTA Build Thread

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FASTPACE1105

TTA Build Thread

So I've owned my TTA since I was 16, or soon to be almost half my life. Unfortunately, since I got out of college it hasn't really been driven and really for the last 5 years it hasn't been driven at all due to what I believe was a head gasket issue. 3 years ago, I decided that I would pull the engine and build it with a forged bottom end. I had planned to take it to a friends machine shop, and shortly after dropping it off he decided to close up shop and move on to another adventure. Luckily, nothing had really been done and I got everything back. After that I lost motivation and everything had been sitting when earlier this week a facebook memory picture came up showing it had been 3 years which lit a fire under my ass to do something about it. So I've set a goal to get the long block completed by the end of the year.

The goal is to make ~600 rwhp and make it fun weekend toy again. You can't push much beyond that without a lot of extra work as the heads are different than the GN and don't get as good of clamping force. It'll maintain near stock 3.8L displacement (likely be 0.010 over to clean it up), forged rotating assembly, Precision 6266 BB turbo, and hopefully some E85 and either Holly EFI or Fast XFI computer.

In high school I used to devote most of my life to this car and keeping it clean, was always known to be one of the cleanest cars in town. Now it's covered and sawdust, moving blankets, and some light mold growth on the leather. I'm really looking forward to bringing it back to life.

Last edited by Fastpace; 08-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6

I'd be scared to mod that car though. I think 3rd gen prices are about to skyrocket like 2nd gens did. If you don't plan on getting rid of it, then do what you want and enjoy the hell out of it.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 08-15-2019 at 09:27 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post

I'd be scared to mod that car though. I think 3rd gen prices are about to skyrocket like 2nd gens did. If you don't plan on getting rid of it, then do what you want and enjoy the hell out of it.
    I'll never get rid of the car, I would lose everything else in my life before I sold it. My dad has his 72 firebird that was his first car that he's restoring, he's owned it since 72. It was something him, my brother, and I always bonded with was a love for cars and when we started the restoration of his car. He told stories from when he was young how family members always told them they wish they still had their first car so he decided he'd never sell it and is glad he didn't. My brother has his 98 Trans Am that was his first car and my mom had bought new. All of our cars aren't running right now, but it's our dream in the next couple years to have them all done and be able to go cruising and to a car show together.

As for price increase, everyone has said TTAs were going to increase since they were new. The prices haven't changed on them in the 16 years I've had the car. I think you'll see 3rd gens increase, but it won't be anything like the 1st or 2nd gens, maybe go from $3-7k to $10-20k.

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    clean 3rd gens are already 10-20k

vCash
    cock is so hard

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    This. People didn't think 2nd gens would skyrocket either. When I bought my '78 Trans Am in 2003, you could get a really nice Bandit TA for $25k, tops. Now look at those fucking things.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Maybe you have seen a ~25% increase in price in the last 5 or so years, but I still don't think you'll ever see the 300-500%+ increase the 1st and 2nd gens saw. Not that I'm really concerned either way as I own one that I wouldn't sell as it is.

Registered Member

vCash
    Such a badass car.. keep us posted.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    Maybe you have seen a ~25% increase in price in the last 5 or so years, but I still don't think you'll ever see the 300-500%+ increase the 1st and 2nd gens saw. Not that I'm really concerned either way as I own one that I wouldn't sell as it is.
    I dunno. For clean examples I could see it. Think of all the 3rd and 4th gens that got just absolutely fuckin ragged out, beat to shit, had the piss driven out of them.
    If you have a clean car in decent shape, maybe... just maybe...

even so though, I like your attitude. Keep the thing until you can't see the road to drive it any more
    Last edited by GldRush98; 08-16-2019 at 12:09 AM.

All cops everywhere suck Det.Rice's Avatar

vCash
    Love love love them

vCash
    do you still have the C10?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Of course. Air ride controller has gone out on it so I have to jump the solenoids to raise it up and down now. Has almost 10k miles on it now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

vCash
    Glad you're back to work on it again!

I've actually had mine out in the road 2 days this week!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Glad you're back to work on it again!

I've actually had mine out in the road 2 days this week!
    Are you going to the TA Nats in Dayton next weekend? They're doing a 30th anniversary gathering and should have a decent amount of TTAs show up.

vCash
    Reminds me of my 86 WS6 that I had from high school until college; sold it and got my 4th gen which i still have....last "check in" of my old 86 was in 2007 somewhere in Alabama....most likely it's in a junkyard or recycled at this point

Love your TTA

Super Moderator

vCash
    Are you going to the TA Nats in Dayton next weekend? They're doing a 30th anniversary gathering and should have a decent amount of TTAs show up.

Have not been in years a bunch of us here used to meet there and it was a great weekend! I miss those guys

I thought the show was going downhill, then the guy in charge died... i quit going. I miss it. There was a time I took all 3 cars out there. I debate going every year but haven't been for a while.

Heading up to Detroit tonight though for Woodward Dream Cruise this weekend!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Have not been in years a bunch of us here used to meet there and it was a great weekend! I miss those guys

I thought the show was going downhill, then the guy in charge died... i quit going. I miss it. There was a time I took all 3 cars out there. I debate going every year but haven't been for a while.

Theres a guy on turbotransam.com that goes to Woodward with his TTA every year. He posted about going this year, you should reach out to him as hes from the area and has some connections to good parking. I met up with him maybe 10 years ago at Woodward.

I went to the TA Nats I think 2 years ago, it was the first time I had gone since it move from the airport hotel. It's definitely not what it used to be at all. The swap meet used to be one of my favorite parts, now it's just a couple vendors and a bunch of junk. However, if there was a year you considered going even for a day I'd suggest this year. I've seen at least 20+ TTAs planning to go. I looked at flights yesterday but there aren't any decent ones into Cincinatti from Houston, I'll probably look again next week for last minute deals.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

LS2 Remaining Fbody crew meet at the TA Nats in 2020?

Super Moderator

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GldRush98 View Post
    LS2 Remaining Fbody crew meet at the TA Nats in 2020?
    I'll be there for that!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

I'll be there for that!
    Dansbird, Griswold, and Weatherbono all need to go

vCash
    Such awesome F-bodies, very high on the list of most badass cars from the 80's. Wish I'd jumped on one before they shot up.

Who brought theirs to G9? I remember I ended up parked next to one in the LS2 section with my 3.8L... non turbo non special RS.

vCash
    brb purchasing earplugs

vCash
    Of course. Air ride controller has gone out on it so I have to jump the solenoids to raise it up and down now. Has almost 10k miles on it now.

vCash
    Congrats man. Very cool car.
    I'll break out the Buick this weekend just because you got the blood stirring.

Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

vCash

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboost View Post
    Congrats man. Very cool car.
    I'll break out the Buick this weekend just because you got the blood stirring.
    That's basically how this happened. Had a facebook memory pop up of pulling the engine like 3 years ago and gave me a nice kick in the ass to start working on it again.

Planning to send the short block parts out on Monday to Don Cruz at Cruz Performance in Florida. He said it'd be 60 day turnaround max, so now I need to start getting the heads figured out and some auxiliary part prep going.

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    This fucking thing literally just popped up on my FB marketplace for $12K

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Offer 3k because you'll have to speend 9k to fix that fucking monstrosity.
    Last edited by GldRush98; 08-17-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    Fucking hell. Why don't people accept 99% of body kits look like dogshit?

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Takes me back to when people were covering all their 4thgen holes with gaudy looking cheap gutter mesh.....

vCash

vCash

Out of all of this... The thing I can’t comprehend the most is that bumper cover.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I can appreciate what you are doing OP but have you considered swapping in a 500 Cadillac motor from a 1970 Eldorado?

Asking for a friend that knows true love and patio furniture.

vCash
    I think it needs an LS swap... just think of how much hate you could generate with that simple action.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 08-18-2019 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    I think it needs an LS swap... just think of how much hate you could generate with that simple action.
    Ecoboost v6 swap.

vCash
    You had a TTA when you were 16? Is this Mike Hawk's troll account??

Love those things, looking forward to seeing it all put back together.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    You had a TTA when you were 16? Is this Mike Hawk's troll account??

Love those things, looking forward to seeing it all put back together.
    Yup, had it at 16 but no trust fund . My parents paid part and I paid part, it remained titled as my parents until I graduated college and it was my graduation gift. If I didn't finish college I was responsible to pay for a portion of their side. Had a contract written up about it which I had to agree and sign. Cars were a large part of our family, doing car shows and events almost every weekend. I didn't play sports or anything, I worked on and cleaned my car to take to shows with my dad.

Growing up had a lot of stuff like this with my parents that taught me valuable life lessons and business knowledge. There were times I lost items/money to my dad in bets, they developed projects and tasks which they would pay me to complete, etc.

vCash
    Yup, had it at 16 but no trust fund . My parents paid part and I paid part, it remained titled as my parents until I graduated college and it was my graduation gift. If I didn't finish college I was responsible to pay for a portion of their side. Had a contract written up about it which I had to agree and sign. Cars were a large part of our family, doing car shows and events almost every weekend. I didn't play sports or anything, I worked on and cleaned my car to take to shows with my dad.

Growing up had a lot of stuff like this with my parents that taught me valuable life lessons and business knowledge. There were times I lost items/money to my dad in bets, they developed projects and tasks which they would pay me to complete, etc.
    I hear ya. Sounds like we learned a lot of the same lessons. My parents paid my insurance on my 91 RS, which I probably couldn't have afforded at 16, under the condition that I paid for the car itself and my grades stayed where they needed to be. I worked almost full time all through HS to pay for it and it allowed me to sell it to pay for my 96 SS once I got to college. Very cool that you held on to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwollHottie View Post
    Ecoboost v6 swap.
    Or Coyote.

Registered Member

vCash
    Im in for updates

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Quiky One View Post
    Im in for updates
    Good to see, hope we can have some good updates soon.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

A few small updates. I got all the parts for the short block shipped out on Friday so should be getting it back around the end of October. Also, decided to attend the TA Nats at the last minute to act as motivation for both myself and my dad. He was already up in Indiana for work so sent him a message Thursday night, booked some flights, and less than 24 hours later he was picking me up in his C5 to go to the event. Really happy we did as the weather was perfect, got the chance to catch up with old friends, and make some new ones. My dad needed some motivation to send out his motor for machining for his 72, so hopefully this will help him get that kick in the ass too.

All the short block parts ready to ship, used Fastenal to ship it and was only ~$200

The TTA as she currently sits, covered in sawdust and moving blankets. Over the next month or so I'll pull her out and start cleaning. Also got some fuel components to help the changeover to E85 Flexfuel capabilities.

We had 30 TTAs at the TA Nats, had several more owners who couldn't bring their cars that joined as well. We also had Bill Owen who led the engineering effort for the changes made to the Buick engine to put it in the TTA. He had a lot of great stories on how the project was done behind the scenes because he worked for Buick as Engine Testing Lead so had to work after hours on the projects.

Registered Member

vCash

Super Moderator

vCash
    Nice!

vCash
    Motherfucker couldnt just paint his hood before coming to the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Motherfucker couldnt just paint his hood before coming to the show.

Thats why they are in the back....

"Damnit Jim!!!"

vCash
    Gamer IDs

A few small updates. I got all the parts for the short block shipped out on Friday so should be getting it back around the end of October. Also, decided to attend the TA Nats at the last minute to act as motivation for both myself and my dad. He was already up in Indiana for work so sent him a message Thursday night, booked some flights, and less than 24 hours later he was picking me up in his C5 to go to the event. Really happy we did as the weather was perfect, got the chance to catch up with old friends, and make some new ones. My dad needed some motivation to send out his motor for machining for his 72, so hopefully this will help him get that kick in the ass too.

All the short block parts ready to ship, used Fastenal to ship it and was only ~$200

The TTA as she currently sits, covered in sawdust and moving blankets. Over the next month or so I'll pull her out and start cleaning. Also got some fuel components to help the changeover to E85 Flexfuel capabilities.

We had 30 TTAs at the TA Nats, had several more owners who couldn't bring their cars that joined as well. We also had Bill Owen who led the engineering effort for the changes made to the Buick engine to put it in the TTA. He had a lot of great stories on how the project was done behind the scenes because he worked for Buick as Engine Testing Lead so had to work after hours on the projects.
    One hardtop. I'm guessing not many of those were produced.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    One hardtop. I'm guessing not many of those were produced.
    Only 39 hardtops were built, that one has leather so is 1 of 24.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yes

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Always wanted a TTA.

Still miss my GN from time to time.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Or Coyote.
    or the 5.2 out of a 1992 Dodge Dakota.

vCash
    Someone should take one of these and make a convertible.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Another small update, got the first big batch of parts back from powder coating. The hot parts all used a high-temp cerakote, brackets are satin black like stock, valve covers and heat shield are BMW silver, and then the compressor housing has a clear powder coat. Waiting on the intake and head porting to be done to get them coated and have to work with the engine builder to see what I can do on the block before he assembles.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Someone should take one of these and make a convertible.
    They never truly made a convertible, but Jeff Beitzel who was the owner of PAS Inc the company that did the TTA conversions in California, took his personal TTA to ASC to be made into a convertible. ASC was the one doing the conversion for GM on 3rd gens at the time so it was done to the same build as if it were ordered in the configuration but it was never offered. There was another person who sent their car to ASC to be converted by ASC as well. So there are 2 convertibles the exist 1 with cloth and 1 with leather.

Registered Member

vCash
    Another small update, got the first big batch of parts back from powder coating. The hot parts all used a high-temp cerakote, brackets are satin black like stock, valve covers and heat shield are BMW silver, and then the compressor housing has a clear powder coat. Waiting on the intake and head porting to be done to get them coated and have to work with the engine builder to see what I can do on the block before he assembles.

I promised you a phone call a couple weeks ago and I still owe that. But I have the same Molnar rods and they are a little tight. They’re going to require some machine work prior to installation. Be ready for that.

I also want to run king bearings but everybody’s out of stock. Clevite’s would be my second option, but again, I can’t find any...Have you sourced your bearings yet? I need some help finding some. Full throttle is out, Brian’s out, Cotton is out. My buddy JD’s supplier (jdsfastgn or something on here) is out. That’s literally all I need and the motor goes back together. Practically the same build you’re doing.