Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TTA Build Thread

vCash
    I'd love to take mine to a TA show in Daytona... but I'd be a little worried it wouldn't make the trip.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    So I've owned my TTA since I was 16, or soon to be almost half my life. Unfortunately, since I got out of college it hasn't really been driven and really for the last 5 years it hasn't been driven at all due to what I believe was a head gasket issue. 3 years ago, I decided that I would pull the engine and build it with a forged bottom end. I had planned to take it to a friends machine shop, and shortly after dropping it off he decided to close up shop and move on to another adventure. Luckily, nothing had really been done and I got everything back. After that I lost motivation and everything had been sitting when earlier this week a facebook memory picture came up showing it had been 3 years which lit a fire under my ass to do something about it. So I've set a goal to get the long block completed by the end of the year.

The goal is to make ~600 rwhp and make it fun weekend toy again. You can't push much beyond that without a lot of extra work as the heads are different than the GN and don't get as good of clamping force. It'll maintain near stock 3.8L displacement (likely be 0.010 over to clean it up), forged rotating assembly, Precision 6266 BB turbo, and hopefully some E85 and either Holly EFI or Fast XFI computer.

In high school I used to devote most of my life to this car and keeping it clean, was always known to be one of the cleanest cars in town. Now it's covered and sawdust, moving blankets, and some light mold growth on the leather. I'm really looking forward to bringing it back to life.
    I have almost an identical setup on my '86. It is a .010 original block that came with my car (had 140,000 miles on it when I went through it, though bone stock). I went with forged pistons, roller 212/212 cam, 1.65 roller rockers, stage 3 ported and polished heads, 6266 ceramic ball bearing turbo, precision external gate, 85#/hr injectors running the XFI, 3200 stall lock up race convertor and built trans, deatschwerks 350 pump, RJC Extreme FMIC. From a bone stock car that struggled to hit 13psi boost, I run 22psi at the track on a touch of race gas and put down 10.85@123 out of the box. It is soooo much more fun to drive. It has held together very well and I am very happy with the overall performance. I don't race a ton, but I could. 95% street driving for enjoyment but I look forward to it every single time I drive it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you had. Good luck!!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ruiner
    Yay!!!! Keep it going. I put 100 miles on the VR-4 before winter, and I just kept thinking to myself, "What took so long you idiot..." while driving and enjoying the car. You'll love the 6266. It's a freaking blast on my IS300.

vCash
    I want me a 1980 Turbo TA, Bandit, turbo'd LS, 17" wheels, other than that completely stock looking. I'll start it right after I finish my Buick, so say 2042ish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ern View Post
    I want me a 1980 Turbo TA, Bandit, turbo'd LS, 17" wheels, other than that completely stock looking. I'll start it right after I finish my Buick, so say 2042ish.
    i'd like that, except either find a way to make power out of the turbo 301 (probably impossible), or swap in a built turbo buick motor. putting a turbo lsx in all the things is so last year.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwollHottie View Post
    i'd like that, except either find a way to make power out of the turbo 301 (probably impossible), or swap in a built turbo buick motor. putting a turbo lsx in all the things is so last year.
    So last year, but parts availability and ease of use is undeniable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiky One View Post
    So last year, but parts availability and ease of use is undeniable.
    well yeah. if you consider cost and availability of parts, there's almost no point in even considering anything else.

but what fun is that? would be more fun to have a turbo TA that has a 301 making 500hp

Registered Member

vCash
    well yeah. if you consider cost and availability of parts, there's almost no point in even considering anything else.

but what fun is that? would be more fun to have a turbo TA that has a 301 making 500hp
    Can’t argue with that. Everything I do hobby wise seems to be excessive and expensive. But being normal and easy is boring. Cars, guns, and electronics aren’t cheap. I wish I could be content with just reading a book

vCash
    You would

vCash

Probably not possible... Isn't there a law of thermodynamics specific to the Pontiac 301?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    You would
    How fun would it be to go the track, pop your 301 TA with its hood open, have everyone walk by and laugh.... And then pull up the starting line and run a 10.5

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Meanwhile in reality....he still drives a stock fox body that he tells people is fast cause its so light

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    Meanwhile in reality....he still drives a stock fox body that he tells people is fast cause its so light
    3.73 gears Turns it into a 9 second car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    3.73 gears Turns it into a 9 second car.
    And dumped flowmasters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zo6pilot View Post
    And dumped flowmasters
    Damn you’re a maniac.

Registered Member

vCash
    Sorry Jared, back to TTA content.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FASTPACE1105
    Back on topic, and have a real update to give. Got a call that the short block is ready and will be shipping out on Monday, so will take some time to get in but leaves time for additional prep.

Started last weekend on pulling the seats, cleaning and treating them with leatherique (the best leather treatment there is IMO), getting some stains out of the carpet, and then spraying some protection on the carpet. Then today, my brother came over and helped me push the car out, pressure wash it, degrease the engine bay, and then pushed it back in. Luckily I used to wax this car like every 3 months when I was younger, so it still had some wax protecting it and everything just feel right off once hit with some water. Going to start working on figuring out what I'm going to do for the fuel system this week.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6

vCash
    sweet!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Some more updates. Big one is the engine arrived today, despite the virus and the rain I had to go pick it up will help me give something to do while I'm stuck at home. Still waiting on the heads to be finished, but I'll try to get some of the accessories on this weekend.

Then during this week been working on the fuel system some. Got a Hellcat Redeye pump which is rated to 535 LPH. They don't make a kit to fit it to my factory hanger for my car so I had to do some rewiring, cut the pump bucket off, and a few tweaks and it barely fits through the opening. Hope to wrap up the back of the car this weekend and get the rear suspension all back together and shields in place. Then I'll just be focusing on the engine and engine bay moving forward.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ruiner
    YASSSSS!!!!!

Super Moderator

vCash

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Well I'm supposed to be getting my heads back this week so should be making some more significant progress in the coming weeks, but figured I'd post some of the stuff from the last several weeks.

I put everything on the engine I could without the heads. Some will probably come off in order to put the engine in the car but wanted to seal up what I could and make sure I could still find bolts.

Replaced front and rear brake rotors, pads, and went to stainless lines. The front rotors were only 31 years old.... still had the tags on them

Replaced sway bar bushings. The front was definitely warn out and I had plans to replace it years back, but the mounts are unique to the car to be able to clear the intercooler. So after some thinking I had to grind the polyurethane down on the new mounts to fit inside the old metal support clamps.

Installed Alky Injection and got all the wiring run into the interior. Have since switched the cap to the stock overflow cap and installed the original heat blanket so you can't see any of the wiring. You can also see the new mounts for the poly motor mounts installed, that was a bitch and half of a job, glad I didn't attempt it with the engine in the car. Took me like 6 hours just to remove and reinstall the 6 bolts since there are only a couple small access holes in the bottom of the k-member to get to them that you can't even fit a finger through.

Ran the -6 AN return line up and mounted the flex fuel sensor on the inside frame rail. With the chip and tuning software I'll be using you can run speed density tune and then read the flex fuel sensor in on the MAF plug, so I made an adapter harness so that I didn't have to cut the original wiring. The -8AN feed line is ready to run but I'm waiting for the engine to be installed so I can see how I want to route and terminate it.

Finally, did a quick degrease and pressure wash of the transmission to get it ready to reinstall. Have a new torque arm and trans mount on order from UMI but they're closed for the virus so I'll probably end up putting it back together with the stock one in case I get it running.

vCash
    awesome. why didn't you paint the calipers while you had it all apart?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    awesome. why didn't you paint the calipers while you had it all apart?
    Too much effort for something you'll never see behind the snowflake wheels and you have to remove the wheels to clean them.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Made some great progress over the last couple days. My brother came over today and helped me put the engine and transmission in. So now I'm set to work on a whole bunch of little BS stuff this week while I'm on furlough from work.

Checking pushrod length, but I forgot the rocker base piece so then I ordered pushrods that were 0.060" short so new ones are on order again.

Everything all together and pushed outside to see what it looks like in daylight

And settled back in the engine bay, hasn't been in this spot for ~3 years now.

Super Moderator

vCash

vCash
    BAD......ASS.

vCash
    Very cool.

vCash

vCash
    Gamer IDs

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Been a little bit since I updated the thread. After getting all the wiring and plumbing done I struggled getting it to start for a couple days. After a some troubleshooting I threw it all at it at once and adjusted the cam sensor a little (acts like a distributor but basically tells the ignition module when at #1 TDC) it was about 5 degrees off, turned down to base fuel pressure from about 60 to 38 psi (was planning to adjust once running), and set the throttle stop open a little more (ended up idling at like 1600 rpm). After getting it running I had to go back and button up a lot of things like get the fuel lines how I wanted them, some wiring, and intercooler.

Today I got it just about ready to take for a cruise around the block. Just need to bleed the brakes and put the wheels on and it'll be ready for a short trip. Still have to clean up wiring for the wideband and ECU in the interior, finish wiring and plumbing the alky injection, get AC charged, alignment, and work on the tune. I'm on furlough the first week of June so I'm hoping I can have it all ready to do a decent amount of driving and working on the tune that week.

Making custom fuel lines and getting them to fit right is a pain in the ass. Went through several fittings, but I finally got it all to run close to how I wanted it. The flex fuel sensor is mounted on the return line on the drivers frame rail, just below the brake booster.

Got a new driveshaft made, supposed to be rated to at least 700 rwhp. The driveshaft shop said thing I'll break is the rear yoke or the rear end, don't plan on breaking either of those.

Got some Continental Extreme Contact Sports in 275/40/17 on the 17x9 snowflakes for a larger version of stock

Finally, the V6 always sounds like shit. So I found out that there is a guy who is remaking the GMMG exhaust for 4th gens. It's supposed to be fairly easy to get a 4th gen exhaust to fit on a 3rd gen so I'm going to give it a shot. I always dreamed about the GMMG exhaust back in the early 2000s on some of the 4th Gen ZL1 packages and those who put it on as an aftermarket system. If I don't end up liking it my brother has Magnaflow on his Trans Am and we plan to trade.

Finally, a video of it idling with open downpipe.
    Last edited by Fastpace; 05-17-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Super Moderator

vCash
    👍

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Was able to get every thing done for a short trip around the neighborhood. I need to figure out the intake setup before I drive it out of the neighborhood, and then itll be going to get the exhaust put on and an alignment followed by some tuning work.

Super excited, this is the first time I've really driven the car in about 6 or 7 years.

Last edited by Fastpace; 05-18-2020 at 06:13 AM.

vCash
    awesome

vCash
    I'll assume the LFE WTR "catch can" or coolant tank or whatever it's function is, is just a temporary install?

Awesome awesome build. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Last edited by ARSENAL670; 05-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ARSENAL670 View Post
    I'll assume the LFE WTR "catch can" or coolant tank or whatever it's function is, is just a temporary install?

Awesome awesome build. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Yeah, the actual coolant overflow tank is going to be used for Methanol injection and I haven't got around to finding an alternative overflow yet.

vCash
    wow great job...looks awesome with the new wheels

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle

Planning on addressing the 4x4 mod?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post

Planning on addressing the 4x4 mod?
    It already has Eibach Pro-kit springs on it which dropped it about an inch. Hopefully it'll settle back down some after sitting up on jack stands for the last year+. I do wish it sat a little lower than in the pictures, but I also don't want it too low because then it'd be undriveable in Houston.

This is the same suspension, and actually the tires are the same diameter.

Last edited by Fastpace; 05-18-2020 at 07:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
    Yeah, the actual coolant overflow tank is going to be used for Methanol injection and I haven't got around to finding an alternative overflow yet.

Figured. Awesome build and happy to see a Thirdgen, a TTA at that, coming back to life. Miss my 86.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Had some issues with a remanufactured ACDelco alternator that wasn't charging. After a day wasted trying to troubleshoot it, I replaced with a random reman unit from Oreillys this morning and got it fixed. Put about 30 miles on it this morning just cruising around and keeping it out of boost. Went by a local guy with a GN to drop off some parts he let me borrow to troubleshoot with and then a quick stop for lunch. Will be doing an oil change tomorrow and then hopefully drive some more and work on the tune a little and get into some boost.

I still need to get the intake slightly modified so that the hood will fit, the exhaust installed, alignment, AC charged, and finish plumbing and wiring the methanol injection.

vCash
    awesome man!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Found these while digging through some of my old car stuff.

Super Moderator

vCash
    Not sure how anyone lowers these... The intercooler scoop is already on the ground.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Not sure how anyone lowers these... The intercooler scoop is already on the ground.
    It clearances itself a little bit, but really rarely ever hit the intercooler scoop it's more the long nose overhang. To me it makes a huge difference in the car appearance, same for 4th gens, dont think I could own one that isnt lowered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk