Thread: Do you think the days of hanging on to a car for many years will soon be over?

vCash

Do you think the days of hanging on to a car for many years will soon be over?

I realize most on here don't hang on to a car all that long anyway, but compared to yesteryear, do you think even more will stop hanging on to them? I see that concept nose diving in the near future.

Gearhead & Grisfail both have Chevelles... they're very mechanical and analog. It can be worked on and have been yeeeears after technology left them in the past. Same w/ my '02 T/A and my '01 Jeep... With so many vehicles these days going all out digital gauges, tablet interfaces, growing more to being full-on electric, it has me wondering about their longevity and the support they'll have in the years to come. Makes me think the days of hanging on to a special car will become a thing of the past. Look at vehicles like the new C8, Tesla, Caddy's, Dodge Ram, even the new Jeep... many, if not all, of the essential gauges are digital and on an LCD (or whatever technology) screen. What happens when that screen goes out? Each one of these runs off of its own OS on a very unique screen. The Dodge Ram is one that comes to mind. Not that a Ram is often a collector vehicle, just in the sense that such a huge part of its dash is a massive screen. That screen is only going to last so long and then what will happen in 10+ years when it goes out? I'd imagine finding a replacement screen won't be too easy. With some vehicles, gas, temp, battery levels, etc... all on a screen instead of an analog gauge. I just wonder how easy these newer, more electronically technological vehicles will be to maintain way on after their prime.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 07-28-2019 at 09:53 AM.

vCash
    yes
    car companies will soon be selling self driving cars

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ReefBlue
    I've thought about that with my Raptor--the truck will physically last a long time, but if the screen goes out, then what?

To that point, I've though about buying a second screen and dash screen. But, am I going to keep it for THAT long? Cars from 2002, or whenever the first screens were put into cars, still have functioning screens. As much as I like my Raptor, I don't think I'm going to have it in 2037.

vCash
    At some point, cars will be fully automated and you won't own one. Every time you want to go somewhere, you'll launch the Uber app, and a car will show up on a few to pick you up.

vCash
    Hopefully it doesn't go like cell phone updates basically making older models perform like shit

I hate all the new nanny shit. I don't need to be warned when I'm crossing a line. Or near another vehicle. Really don't need something to fuck with my cruise control speed.
    So yeah, I'm keeping old tech as long as possible. Including manual transmission

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    I hate all the new nanny shit. I don't need to be warned when I'm crossing a line. Or near another vehicle. Really don't need something to fuck with my cruise control speed.
    So yeah, I'm keeping old tech as long as possible. Including manual transmission
    Adaptive cruise control is nice, but I do agree with you. I like how primitive my TJ is. If there's an issue, you can usually figure it out pretty easily and if you can't fix it, there's almost always a work around or it's just not needed. Haha.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    I realize most on here don't hang on to a car all that long anyway, but compared to yesteryear, do you think even more will stop hanging on to them? I see that concept nose diving in the near future.

Gearhead & Grisfail both have Chevelles... they're very mechanical and analog. It can be worked on and have been yeeeears after technology left them in the past. Same w/ my '02 T/A and my '01 Jeep... With so many vehicles these days going all out digital gauges, tablet interfaces, growing more to being full-on electric, it has me wondering about their longevity and the support they'll have in the years to come. Makes me think the days of hanging on to a special car will become a thing of the past. Look at vehicles like the new C8, Tesla, Caddy's, Dodge Ram, even the new Jeep... many, if not all, of the essential gauges are digital and on an LCD (or whatever technology) screen. What happens when that screen goes out? Each one of these runs off of its own OS on a very unique screen. The Dodge Ram is one that comes to mind. Not that a Ram is often a collector vehicle, just in the sense that such a huge part of its dash is a massive screen. That screen is only going to last so long and then what will happen in 10+ years when it goes out? I'd imagine finding a replacement screen won't be too easy. With some vehicles, gas, temp, battery levels, etc... all on a screen instead of an analog gauge. I just wonder how easy these newer, more electronically technological vehicles will be to maintain way on after their prime.
    for non-car people maybe. Keep a car you like, I dont see that changing.
    Yep! And they charge thousands for that shit!
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 07-29-2019 at 03:27 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    I've thought about that with my Raptor--the truck will physically last a long time, but if the screen goes out, then what?

To that point, I've though about buying a second screen and dash screen. But, am I going to keep it for THAT long? Cars from 2002, or whenever the first screens were put into cars, still have functioning screens. As much as I like my Raptor, I don't think I'm going to have it in 2037.
    This.....those screens may last longer than you think.....its kind of amazing how some of the tech lasts.....

I think some of today's cars will be garaged up and kept for years.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

vCash
    I believe Rush recorded a song about this very thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    I believe Rush recorded a song about this very thing.

Cliffs?

vCash
    This is a futuristic song about a farmer who keeps a Red Barchetta in his barn even after motors are outlawed (Before the Motor Law). The kid comes, takes the car for ride and ends up being chased by Gleaming Alloy Air car (Police is assumed). He outruns and ditches the law and returns to the barn, hides the car and goes to dream with his uncle by the fireside.

The Barchetta is a classic example of a car built for speed, a hot rod, made by Ferrari. The first car to leave the Maranello factory in 1947 was a red, V12-engined Barchetta. From the beginning it was designed as a racing car and it went on to win at its second outing in the Grand Prix of Rome. Alongside the racing cars, development continued apace for a road-going version. This is how the 166 MM - the first Ferrari to win the Le Mans 24 Hours and also see use as a high-performance, road-going two-seater - was created. The history of the V12 front-engine Ferraris started here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwollHottie View Post
    At some point, cars will be fully automated and you won't own one. Every time you want to go somewhere, you'll launch the Uber app, and a car will show up on a few to pick you up.
    Pretty much this and honestly it will be better when that happens. They take up soo much space for parking etc for things we use maybe 2 hours of the day.

I do wish my company had buses to pick us up from the train station if they did i'd never drive to work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't go like cell phone updates basically making older models perform like shit
    you realize that has been reversed in recent years.

The last couple of iOS iterations have made some of the previous ones perform better in fact.

my mom has an iPhone 6 it works great still.

Registered Member

vCash
    This is what they have wanted for years, specific electronics are no longer supported and the vehicle is removed from use. I currently daily a '98 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummings. I bought the vehicle with a transmission issue that ended up being the PCM. It was not repairable and not available new. I finally located a used one that somebody could reflash with my vin for $650. I paid $650 for a working 21 year old PCM, how long is this one going to last? It's purpose and how it is integrated into 2 other "computers" that talk by can bus means it's impossible to wire around or adapt another one to it. Most dealers don't have the ability to reflash it, too old.

The fuel pump circuit in the ECM failed, I sent it in, it was returned not repairable. Not available to purchase new. This time they want $1000 for a used one reflashed one to my vin. The fuel pump is powered by the engine ECU with a 10 amp circuit,...... 10 amps through the computer to run the fuel pump, ....really? Couldn't you have done it a more conventional way using the ECU to trigger a relay to turn the pump on like every other similar circuit in other car makes?.

Well, that is what I did, found something that pulled a negative signal on start and run, added a relay to power the pump and it runs again or at least until that circuit in the ECU gets smoked. I will deal with it then.

Here is an example of a million mile engine and a transmission that is essentially a tried and proven 727 Torqueflite that they added overdrive and a lock up converter to. They added the electronics to it make it's service life finite. This is why 12 valve Cummings with stick shifts are so valuable. Nothing to fail.

This is going to be with every car out there soon. I doubt anybody will really care about a Nissan Versa or Ford Focus but with the price of new trucks and the desire to run them longer and longer due to the huge initial expense, I can see this being an issue for many.
    Last edited by 1STLS1; 07-29-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Adaptive cruise control is nice, but I do agree with you. I like how primitive my TJ is. If there's an issue, you can usually figure it out pretty easily and if you can't fix it, there's almost always a work around or it's just not needed. Haha.
    Adaptive cruise sucks when you continue to get drivers in front that don't maintain any reasonable speed, then have to turn it off to pass them anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1STLS1 View Post
    This is what they have wanted for years, specific electronics are no longer supported and the vehicle is removed from use. I currently daily a '98 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummings. I bought the vehicle with a transmission issue that ended up being the PCM. It was not repairable and not available new. I finally located a used one that somebody could reflash with my vin for $650. I paid $650 for a working 21 year old PCM, how long is this one going to last? It's purpose and how it is integrated into 2 other "computers" that talk by can bus means it's impossible to wire around or adapt another one to it. Most dealers don't have the ability to reflash it, too old.

The fuel pump circuit in the ECM failed, I sent it in, it was returned not repairable. Not available to purchase new. This time they want $1000 for a used one reflashed one to my vin. The fuel pump is powered by the engine ECU with a 10 amp circuit,...... 10 amps through the computer to run the fuel pump, ....really? Couldn't you have done it a more conventional way using the ECU to trigger a relay to turn the pump on like every other similar circuit in other car makes?.

Well, that is what I did, found something that pulled a negative signal on start and run, added a relay to power the pump and it runs again or at least until that circuit in the ECU gets smoked. I will deal with it then.

Here is an example of a million mile engine and a transmission that is essentially a tried and proven 727 Torqueflite that they added overdrive and a lock up converter to. They added the electronics to it make it's service life finite. This is why 12 valve Cummings with stick shifts are so valuable. Nothing to fail.

This is going to be with every car out there soon. I doubt anybody will really care about a Nissan Versa or Ford Focus but with the price of new trucks and the desire to run them longer and longer due to the huge initial expense, I can see this being an issue for many.
    Exactly my thinking when creating this thread.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    I think when the electronics start to fail, people will care less and less about restoring old and busted cars. The ones that managed to survive with low miles and no issues will be the ones to get and hang on to. Cars are now rolling out with over the air updates. What happens when the manufacturer stops doing updates over the air on these cars?

I could be wrong though. If enough people want these things in the future, companies will figure out a way to manufacture the shit that breaks on them so that they can be restored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    Adaptive cruise sucks when you continue to get drivers in front that don't maintain any reasonable speed, then have to turn it off to pass them anyway
    On mine when I come up on someone and it starts slowing itself down once I click the blinker to change lanes to go around it automatically starts accelerating again.

vCash
    Really sounds like it's just these multi-function screens/computers that we need to worry about, in addition to the other major changes in cars over the last 50 years. As with any car, there will be plenty of totaled cars to pull these parts from to supply the aftermarket... some cars sitting with hardly any miles, and my experience with computer systems is that as long as they are stored well, sitting around for years unused prolongs it's overall lifespan... better than any mechanical component. Some manufacturers might buy the rights to reproduce the screens, or they might just devise aftermarket units... I don't think this will end up being much more serious than it is already with ECUs controlling the engine for the last 30 years... it's more complicated, but people are still able to restore/repair these cars.

But at the same time, with our Civic coming up on the 10 year mark next year, and with 180k miles on the odometer, we do have one issue with our fancy electronics (not very fancy). The LCD speedometer has one of the segments on the blink, the upper horizontal bar on the middle digit sometimes doesn't light up so it messes up most numbers. Otherwise our repairs on that car amounts to a rotted AC condenser that we replaced 30k miles ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    Pretty much this and honestly it will be better when that happens. They take up soo much space for parking etc for things we use maybe 2 hours of the day.

I do wish my company had buses to pick us up from the train station if they did i'd never drive to work.
    Yeah, but that is going to be more for people in urban environments where it makes more sense. It could work for the suburbs too, but they also have room to keep AT LEAST one vehicle if they want (and I suspect most will).

I'm 39, and I can tell you that I will absolutely always own a personal vehicle. It is worth it to me. I'm not always going to rely on an uber to get around. Plus, I like driving. And even for people who aren't into cars, there will still be a sizable group who want their own vehicle.

These vultures from the past;coming Registry Edit's Avatar

vCash
    This is why the 'newest' car I own is 7 and half years old, and if I do shop for a car I try to find the base model/lowest optioned one.

vCash
    This is the fundamental argument for why I can’t stomach buying a new car. They depreciate like crazy and they are increasingly difficult to work on.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: vLEG10Nv
    it will be a long time before collecting cars goes out of fashion. and at least in the beginning of the transition to self-driving cars the older cars will actually probably get more valuable.

vCash
    For the record, I’m not enthusiastic at all about self driving cars. For one there will still be crashes, and you won’t have control over the outcome... and I have a bad feeling that designers will get overconfident and we will end up with a train derailment situation when nature intervenes... a deer or a moose or a buffalo... maybe something stupid like a morning dove will set off a chain reaction. Self driving cars are not the answer. The real answer is to not let assholes drive.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    I'd rather have teleporters than self driving cars.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Ain't nobody gonna be restoring a 2018 Camaro in 2060.

Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Ain't nobody gonna be restoring a 2018 Camaro in 2060.
    But in 2030, those will be broke down on a bunch of lawns

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    For the record, I’m not enthusiastic at all about self driving cars. For one there will still be crashes, and you won’t have control over the outcome... and I have a bad feeling that designers will get overconfident and we will end up with a train derailment situation when nature intervenes... a deer or a moose or a buffalo... maybe something stupid like a morning dove will set off a chain reaction. Self driving cars are not the answer. The real answer is to not let assholes drive.
    I remember people saying that about anti-lock brakes in the mid to late 90's.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    People still think they can out brake a computer controlling all 4 wheels independently in a panic situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    People still think they can out brake a computer controlling all 4 wheels independently in a panic situation.
    That's the only reason I consider replacing my beater '98 Accord, and the reason the wife is driving a new Civic instead. ABS was an option on that car in '98 and I wanted her in something safer. Not sure how much sense it makes for me to be driving it now instead though.

vCash
    Yep. ABS was pretty much universally hated when it first came out. Automated braking will save lives and probably billions of dollars. Just think about how much time and money is wasted from the ripple effects of a stupid fender bender. Massive traffic jams, auto repairs, cops, tow trucks, causing people to be late to work, appointments, etc. This happens thousands of times a day all over the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsy Kretz View Post
    On mine when I come up on someone and it starts slowing itself down once I click the blinker to change lanes to go around it automatically starts accelerating again.
    same here. no blinker required. as soon as you change lanes, it accelerates back up to speed.

vCash
    self driving cars will reduce the amount of auto accidents by probably multiple orders of magnitude. it's pretty nuts to think otherwise.

vCash
    Yep. ABS was pretty much universally hated when it first came out. Automated braking will save lives and probably billions of dollars. Just think about how much time and money is wasted from the ripple effects of a stupid fender bender. Massive traffic jams, auto repairs, cops, tow trucks, causing people to be late to work, appointments, etc. This happens thousands of times a day all over the country.
    A few close calls w/ my '01 Jeep was another contributing factor into getting something newer. The lack of ABS can cause some puckering moments, for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    But threshold braking bro!

Had someone argue that once to say that ABS sucks. Then I asked how he's going to threshold brake 4 corners with 1 pedal in an uncontrolled situation with widely varying friction at each wheel.

vCash
    self driving cars will reduce the amount of auto accidents by probably multiple orders of magnitude. it's pretty nuts to think otherwise.
    Let me clarify. It won't eliminate accidents. I agree that it will result in less accidents. But I agree on the basis that people are assholes and a lot of them shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place. With good (decent human being) drivers I would guess that the margin between the two options would be a lot thinner. I still think people are better at dealing with wildlife than a computer... but maybe technology will prove otherwise eventually.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 07-30-2019 at 10:27 PM.

vCash
    Yeah I never agreed with that segment... all the cars I've had without ABS have been more scary to drive at one point or another... have had some fairly hairy all brakes locked moments.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 07-30-2019 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    Let me clarify. It won't eliminate accidents. I agree that it will result in less accidents. But I agree on the basis that people are assholes and a lot of them shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place. With good (decent human being) drivers I would guess that the margin between the two options would be a lot thinner. I still think people are better at dealing with wildlife than a computer... but maybe technology will prove otherwise eventually.
    I'd rather take my chances with the scarcity of wildlife versus the distracted driving idiots everywhere.

vCash
    I'd rather take my chances with the scarcity of wildlife versus the distracted driving idiots everywhere.
    I'm sure the statistics will agree with you. I just hope they really think it through and do their best to minimize pile ups in the event that something does go wrong... Every time I see people illustrating the future of self driving cars it seems like they're stacking cars half a length apart at highway speed.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 07-30-2019 at 11:00 PM.

vCash
    since you can't eliminate all the people that "shouldn't" be driving from the road, the margin of safety will improve a lot. also, the possibility of hitting wildlife is remote as fuck in most population centers (although I actually saw a deer run across the road in front of starbucks the other day ).

as far as your concern about automated cars riding 1in from each other's bumper, who says it will be that way? what makes you think there won't be safety regulations about what auto-driving cars can do and not do? just because you have seen some dumb artists's idea doesn't mean that it will be like that.

vCash
    But still... it would be nice to eliminate all people that shouldn't be driving.

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    I'm sure the statistics will agree with you. I just hope they really think it through and do their best to minimize pile ups in the event that something does go wrong... Every time I see people illustrating the future of self driving cars it seems like they're stacking cars half a length apart at highway speed.
    Because the reaction time for the computers is so much faster than for humans. Increases the highway capacity, the measure is called occupancy.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    I'd say, that just about everything made after 2012 will be disposable. It's absurdly expensive to make the big repairs that you run into around the 150,000mi mark.

Take my ex wife's Enclave,,,

It needed a transmission before it was traded in. That's a $5600 job, on a vehicle worth $4,000
    Same with the Ac. Hell, just front struts are $1,300.

Look at a new, 2019 F150,,,

Let's add 12 yrs, and 175,000mi,and the 10spd takes a shit. No one is going to be making that repair, and rolling it another 10yrs,like they would have with a 2003 truck. I'd say this applies to damn near everything out there.

vCash
    same here. no blinker required. as soon as you change lanes, it accelerates back up to speed.
    What does yours do when you execute a zipper merge and the fuck head in the car behind you who doesn't understand that traffic concept gets in the center median and stays right beside you while trying to merge into you to get ahead of you because he believe you cut in front of him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shuck View Post
    What does yours do when you execute a zipper merge and the fuck head in the car behind you who doesn't understand that traffic concept gets in the center median and stays right beside you while trying to merge into you to get ahead of you because he believe you cut in front of him?
    that's some kasim level english, but i think you're asking what happens when the cruise control slows you down, you change lanes, the cruise control accelerates, but the person you tried to pass hits it and keeps pace with you. the cruise control won't exceed the speed you set it at.

vCash
    that's some kasim level english, but i think you're asking what happens when the cruise control slows you down, you change lanes, the cruise control accelerates, but the person you tried to pass hits it and keeps pace with you. the cruise control won't exceed the speed you set it at.
    No, I am asking what would those assist features do in that situation because that is exactly what happened to me yesterday and is common place around here. The piece of shit didn't know what a zipper merge was or didn't care and decided to get beside me on the left in the median and try to run me off the road because I "cut" in front of him. I could not stop because the idiot behind me was right on my bumper trying to stop someone else from merging between him and me.

Registered Member STANG KILLA SS's Avatar

vCash
    I still have my 2000 SS. bought in 01.
    its sitting in the street rotting last 2 years

vCash
    No, I am asking what would those assist features do in that situation because that is exactly what happened to me yesterday and is common place around here. The piece of shit didn't know what a zipper merge was or didn't care and decided to get beside me on the left in the median and try to run me off the road because I "cut" in front of him. I could not stop because the idiot behind me was right on my bumper trying to stop someone else from merging between him and me.
    don't you drive a cts-v? just hit the gas

vCash
    don't you drive a cts-v? just hit the gas
    I was in my beater truck, I couldn't hit the gas I had someone right in front of me. I was literally blocked in by people that were clueless of the zipper merge or didn't care. I am not against these "assists", I don't care for them so I don't have them but I was curious what they do in situations like that. I had to slowly let off the throttle because if I used the brakes the guy behind me would have more than likely rear ended me.

I never was that big on self driving cars until I moved here, I think the only way I would own one is if they had a lane that was only for self driving cars. Put them in with the assholes on the road and it would probably add time to my commute or cause an accident when the car is not expecting the cock bag in the Audi that cuts you off and then has to jam on the brakes because we are in traffic.

vCash
    A few close calls w/ my '01 Jeep was another contributing factor into getting something newer. The lack of ABS can cause some puckering moments, for sure.
    My '70 Maverick had 4 wheel drums. If you went through a puddle or drove for a while in the rain without touching the brakes, you had a hair-raising second or two when you first hit the brakes before anything happened.

vCash
    That happened to me getting onto the Chesapeake Bay Bridge a while back in my work van. I floored it to get out of a bad situation. Next thing I know my business line is ringing (goes to my cell) and the guy was cussing about my driving and said he'd never buy anything from my company.

vCash
    This is a futuristic song about a farmer who keeps a Red Barchetta in his barn even after motors are outlawed (Before the Motor Law). The kid comes, takes the car for ride and ends up being chased by Gleaming Alloy Air car (Police is assumed). He outruns and ditches the law and returns to the barn, hides the car and goes to dream with his uncle by the fireside.

The Barchetta is a classic example of a car built for speed, a hot rod, made by Ferrari. The first car to leave the Maranello factory in 1947 was a red, V12-engined Barchetta. From the beginning it was designed as a racing car and it went on to win at its second outing in the Grand Prix of Rome. Alongside the racing cars, development continued apace for a road-going version. This is how the 166 MM - the first Ferrari to win the Le Mans 24 Hours and also see use as a high-performance, road-going two-seater - was created. The history of the V12 front-engine Ferraris started here.
    It's based on a story called "A nice Morning Drive" by Richard Foster, published in Road & Track -- November 1973.

In the story, with cumulative safety regulations, in the future (1982), cars got bigger, bulkier and slower. People who drove these cars (called Modern Safety Vehicles - MSVs) would make a sport out of hunting down and bumping the smaller, older, "less safe" cars off the road.

The protagonist had a 15 year old MG roadster which he took to the country to drive. Less cops in the country. He encounters a couple of MSVs who try to bump him off the road. But he eludes them.

In Rush's "Red Barchetta", there's the "Motor Law", which presumably makes these older cars illegal. The protagonist travels outside the city to visit his uncle, who has the red Barchetta preserved. He takes it for a spin, his "weekly crime", and encounters a couple "gleaming alloy air cars" who chase him. Authorities? Perhaps. But the song doesn't state so. He evades them and makes it back to his uncle's place.

Here is the text of the story, And the lyrics to the song.

https://www.ls2.com/forums/showthrea...=red+barchetta