Thread: SIK02SS Racing Thread

The Battery King of South Georgia SIK02SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIK02SS

SIK02SS Racing Thread

I'm just going to start compiling some of my racing stuff here. Videos/pics etc from weekends. I haven't actually raced since the beginning of March at Sebring, but I've done a couple test days at Roebling because I'm still getting up to speed in the new car. Steep learning curve on this car with ground effects and full aero, but I'm getting there.

Pic of new racecar. It's an Elan DP02 (Panoz owns Elan), these were the previous IMSA Lites cars that are no longer IMSA legal after they restructured the Prototype classes again

Funny video of the last Test day when a Toe Link broke on my warm up lap...thankfully it was just a warm up lap going just over 100 because I'm normally coming through here at ~120. No video of it because contrary to how it felt it looked extremely un-eventful, I broke a rear lower control arm at 153mph braking into turn 1. Worst/scariest feeling I've ever had in a racecar including comparing against the couple crashes I've had, but of course video was lame

Another Test day coming up next week, then a race the following weekend
    Last edited by SIK02SS; 06-11-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Sounds like you have a radiation problem on right handers.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Nah, bad suspension geometry. Van Deimen chassis (which are all "Panoz" cars) have always had bad manufacturing processes on the rear control arms. The hub that all the links attach to is a tripod style billet aluminum hub. The LCA that went was just wear/tear, the chromoly just literally gave way, no broken welds nothing, just in service for too long and collapsed under compression. The upper Toe link that just broke is in sheer by design/manufacturing. When the toe link gets made based off the cad model, the metal warps during welding/manufacturing and they call it good, even though you have to force/bend it sometimes a 1/2" to get it to bolt in place (mine were discovered to be 1/2" out both sides). So we're building new Toe Links/Upper Control Arms (it's all 1 piece) to fit properly and take the preload out of the rod ends

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    I'm just going to start compiling some of my racing stuff here. Videos/pics etc from weekends. I haven't actually raced since the beginning of March at Sebring, but I've done a couple test days at Roebling because I'm still getting up to speed in the new car. Steep learning curve on this car with ground effects and full aero, but I'm getting there.

Pic of new racecar. It's an Elan DP02 (Panoz owns Elan), these were the previous IMSA Lites cars that are no longer IMSA legal after they restructured the Prototype classes again

[IMG]http://lstwo.com/images/38300017115913875649.jpg
    [IMG]http://lstwo.com/images/32098372399948828178.jpeg
    [IMG]http://lstwo.com/images/16683817372994148429.jpg

Funny video of the last Test day when a Toe Link broke on my warm up lap...thankfully it was just a warm up lap going just over 100 because I'm normally coming through here at ~120. No video of it because contrary to how it felt it looked extremely un-eventful, I broke a rear lower control arm at 153mph braking into turn 1. Worst/scariest feeling I've ever had in a racecar including comparing against the couple crashes I've had, but of course video was lame :rolleyes
    [video=youtube_share;M7x9hd4v_6k]https://youtu.be/M7x9hd4v_6k

Another Test day coming up next week, then a race the following weekend
    How are the control arms breaking? Bad welds, connecting angles, hit something?
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post

Chernobyl

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6

Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

vCash

many roentgens, wow

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    How are the control arms breaking? Bad welds, connecting angles, hit something?
    See post above, bad "OEM" geometry putting the toe link on the upper control arm in sheer by having preload on it. The lower that broke was just metal fatigue, probably been on the car for a few years.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post

Chernobyl
    Totally read it as vibration

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    Looks like a blast...

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Have you ever done any racing in your first gen?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    Looks like a blast...
    It’s a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Have you ever done any racing in your first gen?
    Never! no, the 67 doesn’t have the tires for it. Brakes should be fine, not sure about the pads though. Everything else would be fine, it’s setup as pro touring, just was done before pro touring was a thing. Also wouldn’t be fun compared to the ZR1 or racecar Corvette on track And I would prefer not to get rock chips on it

Blog Entries
    vCash
    It’s a lot of fun

Never! no, the 67 doesn’t have the tires for it. Brakes should be fine, not sure about the pads though. Everything else would be fine, it’s setup as pro touring, just was done before pro touring was a thing. Also wouldn’t be fun compared to the ZR1 or racecar Corvette on track And I would prefer not to get rock chips on it
    I would love to build mine to compete in something like the Optima challenge, but I probably only got 40 to 5o years left on earth.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

If you put it that way, then there’s no better time to do it!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    If you put it that way, then there’s no better time to do it!
    Yeah it's the price tag more than the time. I know what I would do, just can't afford it. I would just ship the car to Kyke and Stacey Tucker and tell them to make it a winner that could also handle road trips with a/c.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yeah it's the price tag more than the time. I know what I would do, just can't afford it. I would just ship the car to Kyke and Stacey Tucker and tell them to make it a winner that could also handle road trips with a/c.
    That would be sweet What's another mortgage?

vCash
    Awesome, love the ride. Nice save also, that wanted to come around quick. I will keep up with this thread, I like seeing different avenues and approaches to racing. I have a HPDE lapping day coming up and a few track days I am going to do this year in my V. Saving up for a SM right now and would like to run it in NASA and SCCA, all of this is depending on me buying a house with enough room for all of this

vCash
    Gamer IDs

There’s a badass house in the burbs of NE Houston for sale I happened to run across. Full size shop with lifts in the backyard along with a pool and nice patio. Told the wife that’s our next house, that way I don’t need to have another building for doing “work” at you’re on east coast aren’t you? What tracks you going to?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    There’s a badass house in the burbs of NE Houston for sale I happened to run across. Full size shop with lifts in the backyard along with a pool and nice patio. Told the wife that’s our next house, that way I don’t need to have another building for doing “work” at you’re on east coast aren’t you? What tracks you going to?
    NE Houston... Kingwood? You moving to my neck of the woods?

vCash
    Love the Elan

I want a Caterham SP300R sooo bad

vCash
    Gamer IDs

NE Houston... Kingwood? You moving to my neck of the woods?

Noo, but the house is awesome. A bit further out- Magnolia.
    40603 De Sota Road
    Magnolia, TX. 77354

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Love the Elan

I want a Caterham SP300R sooo bad
    Those are cool, but slow. They're a great "track day" car, not racecar. Wouldn't be competitive with SCCA even in the P2 class. I run with one regularly in vintage and while the driver isn't the fastest, the car can't hang aero wise in the corners. Still cool cars though

vCash
    Those are cool, but slow. They're a great "track day" car, not racecar. Wouldn't be competitive with SCCA even in the P2 class. I run with one regularly in vintage and while the driver isn't the fastest, the car can't hang aero wise in the corners. Still cool cars though
    As a track day car is what I meant. If I wanted a racer I’d have what you do.

Edit: if I was going to get back into that type of racing I’d want to get back into a formula ford. I had so much fun running in vintage FF
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 06-15-2019 at 05:07 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gotcha. Vintage FF is where it’s at, I had so much fun in FF. Problem is I like to go fast and these are stupid fast literally these hang with Formula Atlantic’s. I didn’t realize that when I got into it

Blog Entries
    vCash
    40603 De Sota Road
    Magnolia, TX. 77354
    Very small town, but an awesome town. It is about 25 minutes north of me.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    40603 De Sota Road
    Magnolia, TX. 77354
    Yeah I am going to need you to buy that and invite me over for a pool party.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yeah I am going to need you to buy that and invite me over for a pool party.
    it’s badass right? Future house goals

Blog Entries
    vCash
    it’s badass right? Future house goals
    For just under 600 grand? That is unbelievable.

vCash
    How TF are you guys so excited about a house with such tiny TVs???

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M81634-45207

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Since I never updated because I got stupid busy at my store I finally got a little down time to edit and upload some video

The first SCCA Majors weekend was good. Did better than I thought I would, but also found some week links in my car vs others and areas I need to improve (but that's racing). The car as it sits with SCCA P1 isn't a front running competitive car against the guys with the new carbon front splitters and giant goose neck rear wings vs my original wood splitter and rear wing (As raced with IMSA). But I do have a better shock package and have the upgraded rear aero body work. The main difference was these guys were able to be on the power almost 20 yards sooner than me through the corners. But our braking distances were equal and my top end was better even with not getting as good of a run onto the straights as them (less drag vs their giant wings).

Practice showed nothing because my car was setup and they were all making changes. Qualifying was a strange turn of events for me- I went out to run 3-6 laps and come in. Put down my fastest lap on #3 but knew I Was losing time and could go faster (new sticker tires), did a few more a kept going slower, I called it and came in. Went to lunch and came back to go over data to look and realize I had a flat rear that was losing air very quickly that's why I Was going slower...Qual 1 results came in and instead of being around 4, 5, 6...I Was back in 9th. Race time came up and we were rained out (thunder & lightning within 15 miles of the track. So now our race was pushed for first thing in the AM the next day. Start was somewhere in between ok and good. Made up a couple fast spots to be in front of 2 people I Was ahead of the entire previous sessions and got stuck behind another slow car because I didn't get good temps built up in the tires because the pace lap was so slow. Finally worked past him and was making ground up on my class cars but didn't have enough time to catch up and play. Finished 5th overall and 4 in class in the first 25 minute race (17 laps).

2nd race was 23 laps. Started based off previous days Qual session again So started back in 6th this time (Jim Downing and another went home). Start was good, got by the slow guy again and a couple laps later the leader had a problem and fell back. I lost touch with the other 2 guys because they were 3 sec a lap faster. Also I was able to get tire temps up very quickly this day due to a faster pace lap...and got them too high so I had about 4-5 psi too high pressure all the way around and the car wasn't fully under me. By the end of the race I Was able to catch up to and almost pass the #2 car at the checkered flag but we both got lapped by the leader. The leaders car is an Elan DP02 like mine, but is a fresh ground up build with all the new parts and Motec engine controller (I would only have to spend an additional ~$40k to be competitive ). Ended up finishing 4th overall and 3rd in class. A Good end to the weekend. I was hoping Downing wouldn't have gone home because I think I could've had a good race with him

Some pics and vid. The vid has the first few laps of first race and entire 2nd race to skim through.

Love this girl

Rain/Thunderstorm

Some clean up after they called it

Watching the women work

Impound because I finished top 3 in class

Race video (middle of the 2nd race is boring, fast forward to like the last 10 minutes as I'm reeling in 2nd place)-

White flag flyby from 2nd race

Some practice session flybys from the infield

Next event is in a couple weeks at Roebling again but running with NASA in SU class. Apparently a Norma M30 from Florida shows up periodically. I'll have a larger gurney flap for this event too, so it'll be nice to see what the aero change does. Then after that my favorite event- Hutchinson Island. It used to be promoted by HSR, now it's being put on by SVRA, the current owners of TransAm Pro Series and I guess they're trying to bring the TA cars to the event and have Savannah's first Pro race in I don't know how many years. I'll be back to backing the Corvette and Elan that weekend.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Roger Z06 Vette
    Love the pics
    Beautiful family all at the track having fun too.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Thanks man! Since I was a kid racing has always been a family thing for us. Just when I was racing the yellow Corvette my parents were enjoying being retired

vCash
    Ever get on the race course and get the shits?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: savantard
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Asking the real questions

vCash

Great pictures man.

vCash
    Nice race man, looks like a blast. I love seeing families out at the track enjoying their selves. What telemetry program do you use for data?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Nope. I handle that in the mornings Every once in a while depending on the event I'll get on the grid and have to pee as soon as they give us the 5 minute board or somewhere during it...which means you hold it (and you immediately forget about it as soon as you get going), and then you don't pee for another 1-2 hours after because you sweat so much

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post

Great pictures man.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shuck View Post
    Nice race man, looks like a blast. I love seeing families out at the track enjoying their selves. What telemetry program do you use for data?
    It's an older AIM MXL system. Runs the telemetry, dash etc. Down the road when she needs a tub up rebuild I'll be switching everything out to Motec including the engine management and then I'll be able to do cool shit like traction control for rain races and switch engine modes on the fly depending on the weather (rain) or sanctioning body I race with (SCCA requires a 30mm restrictor, so if I remove that I make almost 300 rwhp). Currently the ECU is locked by Elan and they don't unlock it for anyone. They have a tune for the restrictor guys and a tune for the non restrictor guys. Apparently for a few hundred bucks they do give you the ability to swap between the tunes, so I'll probably do that next year

Registered Member STANG KILLA SS's Avatar

vCash
    wish i had your racer physique

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    wish i had your racer physique
    Let's just say I lost 25 pounds this year, and I'm still like 60# or more over SCCA min weight oh, and I'm still too tall at 6'3 with too big of feet that I trip over in this car even when I left foot brake/right foot gas full time . Literally barely fit in this car. But I make it work

Registered Member STANG KILLA SS's Avatar

vCash
    I dont even have tall as an excuse.
    that 30#s i need to drop is expensive to do in car parts!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

LOL yes it is. I'm to the point that I'll have to make a mold and start making my own carbon fiber body work for my car if I want to get at or below minimum weight because there's nothing I can take off the car or change to save weight other than some bender board/Jabroc skid material...but as a normal consumable it'd be dumb to replace the jabroc with carbon or anything else

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Roger Z06 Vette
    I forget how much Castrol paid John Force to lose weight.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I'm not surprised.

Touchdown California!!! SadbutTrue's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: sadbuttrue999
    Looking good brother great use of family labor too!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

thanks!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Welp, this last weekend was kind of a trial weekend with a new group (for this car). I raced with NASA Southeast. Previously I've ran with a NASA group in northern california and that was an ehh weekend because another driver punted me for 2nd place in the 2nd to last corner at 95mph almost into a wall after I cleanly passed him (video below). This weekend was kind of the same minus the incident (although I did have contact with a car during qualifying ). These guys aren't used to prototype cars racing with them unless you count Thunder Roadsters (i don't), so no one looked in the mirrors for me, or in general - ever. Rule of thumb is, glance at the beginning/end of straights and occasionally prior to turn in under braking. You need to know if someone is coming down the inside of you. Also, these guys don't know what a racing line is or how to let a faster car past without nearly causing a huge incident between them and me. Oh and they didn't like either my car or my dads Corvette . Tech told me I needed a full containment seat in my car (mind you my car has a FIA certified carbon monocoque and FIA certified shoulder/head crash support like you see on F1/Indy cars the drivers have to remove before getting out. . I had to show them pictures of the 5 identical cars that ran the previous weekend at NASA's National Championship races and they passed tech there..Meanwhile there was a Ginetta LMP3 car that was also there that weekend who didn't have a full containment seat either . Speaking of, I came out because I wanted to race against said LMP3 car. Believe it or not, but our power to weight ratio is really close and his lap times are well within what I can do. BUT, as it turned out after spending north of $200k for that car and equipment, they don't race that car Good grief, the guys just run it in Time Trial against some Corvettes

Needles to say I had 1 clean lap in qualifying and ran 10 seconds faster then the next closest car. In the 1st race I was in the middle of the field lapping them when a red flag came out. Turns out it was a buddy of mine in an RX7FC, a lower ball joint decided it had enough and sent him off track and into the woods going about 100mph. Fortunately a tree stopped him eventually...He was ok, and miraculously scrubbed off enough speed that the tree really only dented in the front bumper and bent the rad support. His wood splitter survived (crazy!). After red flag I finished lapping the entire field and won. Yayy..

2nd qualifying/race was much the same only I never got a clean lap in (still 9 seconds clear of the field). And then in the race we had a long double yellow from 2 cars engines letting go on the same lap in different places. After the long double yellow I carried it off for the oh so difficult win again after lapping more cars 2-3 times

Here's the old video from California in my C5Z, fast forward to the end for exciting part, or watch it all middle of the race was slow. Beginning/end were good.

And here's from Sat Race (it's short because I stopped the camera during the red flag and forgot to restart it)

And Sundays Race full length minus some of the pace laps taken out during the full course caution

and here's a quick highlight from Race 2 lol

https://pikdo.net/p/hamrtme_zr1/2144...63833_52304037

From Race Grid 1 being released, watch to the end and you see my dad in the vette-

https://pikdo.net/p/hamrtme_zr1/2143...94038_52304037

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Next up is the end of this month @ Hutchinson Island next to Savannah. This will be a fun one because I'll be doing double duty in both the Elan and the Corvette and we're making some small changes on the Elan in search for some more speed

Oh, and Life Motorsports are finally allowing our ECUs to be unlocked so I can also run the car WITHOUT the stupid 30mm restrictor on non-SCCA weekends

vCash
    Taking off that restrictor plate will be a huge help in setting up the car.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Hell yes, and worth ~40 hp through the top end/mid range

vCash
    Gamer IDs

A few on track photos I found online: