Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep lift is installed

"C-c-c-c-ombo Breaker!!" jeeplaw's Avatar

vCash

Jeep lift is installed

That was fun in the sun for the past week or so. Bought a Mopar 2" lift installed half of it and then met a really nice guy who owns a shop north of me and did the rest of the install there. Ended up scoring a "new" Metalcloak trackbar in the process to help with the 37's and centering the axle. Ride's pretty damn close to stock, which is a huge plus and netted more than 2"s on the lift. Highly recommend the Mopar lift for anyone with 2018+ JL.

Stock

Pre-lift with 37's Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's with Spidertrax 1.75" spacers

Lift going on - getting my girls involved

God bless ratchet straps - moving the axle to align the newer, longer lower control arm bolts

Front end done, back end still untouched

Finally done!

Absolutely amazed at how easy it was to fit 37's on stock jeep, then add some lift to it for trail flex and keep the stock gears without anything truly bogging down. The 8 gear transmission is awesome. Considering the amount of time/effort/money/modifications you had to do all of this to a stock JK jeep the JL platform was built to go the route I went. Next up some rockslider sidesteps to help my girls getting in and out
    Last edited by jeeplaw; 06-11-2019 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    damn, can't believe those are 37's
    I had a 6" lift on my old dirty burb to roll 37s

vCash
    that looks great. Well done.

Are the lifts (adjustable track bars, etc) using stock mounting holes or are you having to drill for a new bracket? I did that with my 3" BDS kit and trackbar on my TJ, but wasn't sure if any drilling was needed for a proper 2.5"-3.5" lift on a JL.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    that looks great, nice job!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    that looks great. Well done.

Are the lifts (adjustable track bars, etc) using stock mounting holes or are you having to drill for a new bracket? I did that with my 3" BDS kit and trackbar on my TJ, but wasn't sure if any drilling was needed for a proper 2.5"-3.5" lift on a JL.
    Most are advertised as bolt on, thankfully. The Mopar lift was 100% bolt off, bolt on. I did get a metalcloak trackbar which required eye'ing out the stock bolt hole (which was a bitch with teh die grinder) but other manufacturers don't require it. Like Yeti's trackbar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeplaw View Post
    Most are advertised as bolt on, thankfully. The Mopar lift was 100% bolt off, bolt on. I did get a metalcloak trackbar which required eye'ing out the stock bolt hole (which was a bitch with teh die grinder) but other manufacturers don't require it. Like Yeti's trackbar.
    I've heard nothing but great things about everything dealing with metalcloak. But I also heard it comes at a price.

Rise early. Work hard. STRIKE OIL! CT Morgan's Avatar

vCash
    Looks good!

Now, gear up (numerically).
    Last edited by CT Morgan; 06-11-2019 at 12:06 AM.

All cops everywhere suck Det.Rice's Avatar

vCash
    That looks great

vCash
    I love it. I'd probably sell my Dana 44/40 and replace with Dana 60 front and rear. It's a huge ticket item but it's the only real limiting factor for this platform. With 60's you can put 40's and do some serious romping with this chassis.

Even with 37's it was fairly common to snap axle shafts on the JK. Not sure how much sturdier the JL Dana's are tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post
    I love it. I'd probably sell my Dana 44/40 and replace with Dana 60 front and rear. It's a huge ticket item but it's the only real limiting factor for this platform. With 60's you can put 40's and do some serious romping with this chassis.

Even with 37's it was fairly common to snap axle shafts on the JK. Not sure how much sturdier the JL Dana's are tho.
    It's got D44's in the front and rear. From what I've been reading, the D44s are fine w/ wheeling the 37's. The D44s start to get pushed to the limit when making the jump to 40's though.

Also, I believe this is his DD. Not sure I'd want 40's on a DD.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.

vCash
    Yea, this jeep is my all arounder. I don't drive much when I'm home and I'm usually in the airport every other week to fly out somewhere (have my old charger as my airport shuttle), so my thinking right now until I start trail riding and testing what the JL can do is to go with 37's and just be happy.

I have a very expensive pen. Hack Job's Avatar

vCash
    It is insane that it fits 37s as easily as it does. No clearance problems?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack Job View Post
    It is insane that it fits 37s as easily as it does. No clearance problems?
    Nope. 2.5" lift will support 37's. I think it's cool that you can run 35's w/out any lift at all on a Rubicon (due to the hi-rise fenders). However, I don't think you can do that w/ the stock wheels w/out spacers. IIRC, you'll either need spacers or an aftermarket wheel w/ the appropriate offset.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    *cough*mall cruiser*cough*

vCash
    Nope. 2.5" lift will support 37's. I think it's cool that you can run 35's w/out any lift at all on a Rubicon (due to the hi-rise fenders). However, I don't think you can do that w/ the stock wheels w/out spacers. IIRC, you'll either need spacers or an aftermarket wheel w/ the appropriate offset.
    With miner fender trimming on Rubicon model it fits 37 with no lift. It fits 40's with 2.5 inch lift lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post
    With miner fender trimming on Rubicon model it fits 37 with no lift. It fits 40's with 2.5 inch lift lol
    Yea, I'm sure it'll fit 37's, but say bye bye fenders as soon as it goes offroad.

There's one pic floating around where a guy fit 40's underneath it w/ minimal, if any, lift. That thing looked like it'd take a fender out as soon as it ran over a stick.

vCash
    Yea, this jeep is my all arounder. I don't drive much when I'm home and I'm usually in the airport every other week to fly out somewhere (have my old charger as my airport shuttle), so my thinking right now until I start trail riding and testing what the JL can do is to go with 37's and just be happy.

vCash
    Looks good. Thank you for not putting on god awful aftermarket wheels.

vCash
    Which sidesteps are you planning? This is always a tricky selection without dragging too much on breakover angle.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    looks great

vCash
    How tall is your wife and how easy is it for her to get in and out of it now?

There's no JL's around here on 37's that I've seen.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Insane that you can fit 37's with just a 2" lift on the JLs.

They don't rub at all when you lock out the steering? And there's no interference when flexing the suspension off road?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Insane that you can fit 37's with just a 2" lift on the JLs.

They don't rub at all when you lock out the steering? And there's no interference when flexing the suspension off road?
    Nope, as long as you're spaced out correctly with proper wheels or those spacers.
    Last edited by CT Morgan; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    How tall is your wife and how easy is it for her to get in and out of it now?

There's no JL's around here on 37's that I've seen.
    My family has to "hop" or climb in a bit and his is an inch higher. Whatever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Morgan View Post
    My family has to "hop" or climb in a bit and his is an inch higher. Whatever.
    I'd imagine yours is about the same as my TJ then. It's a 3" lift, but only on 33's. It takes my wife a little hop to get in it.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    *cough*mall cruiser*cough*

And?

vCash
    To be fair, I'd way rather see a Jeep as a mall cruiser than these awful brodozer diesel trucks.

vCash
    I'd imagine yours is about the same as my TJ then. It's a 3" lift, but only on 33's. It takes my wife a little hop to get in it.
    I think that Mopar 2" lift is actually more like a 3" for whatever reason. I don't run sidesteps so that makes it a little more challenging for her.

vCash
    Forgive my ignorance here... but with the 2-3.5" lift, is the driveshaft length a concern at all? I don't know exactly how the setup is on the JLs, but I know on the TJs, once you go up so big on a lift, a slip-yolk eliminator is a must. Considering I haven't heard any talk of the driveshaft having issues w/ a 3.5", I'm assuming it's not an issue w/ the JLs.

vCash
    Forgive my ignorance here... but with the 2-3.5" lift, is the driveshaft length a concern at all? I don't know exactly how the setup is on the JLs, but I know on the TJs, once you go up so big on a lift, a slip-yolk eliminator is a must. Considering I haven't heard any talk of the driveshaft having issues w/ a 3.5", I'm assuming it's not an issue w/ the JLs.
    No, not with this lift. Keep in mind that it's a Mopar lift so you get OEM thoughtfulness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    To be fair, I'd way rather see a Jeep as a mall cruiser than these awful brodozer diesel trucks.
    unless it's mine, then it's just NOT allowed

I really like that blue and I'm usually not a blue car girl

vCash
    Dan, most of the bolt on lifts don't muck with the driveshaft, unless you're installing an EVO kit which "highly suggests" you change out the driveshaft because of the rubbing. Rockkrawler, MetalCloak, Mopar, Rancho, Icon don't require it.

My wife is 5'7 so she grabs the A pillar handle and she's in. My lil one at 5'1 is doing a full on rock climb extension to get in her seat lol. Picking up some Roam rocksteps at the end of the month to help everyone out. I like these because they follow the bodylines of the JL

Haven't been offroad yet as I've been travelling, but in normal DD situations, there's no rub

vCash
    Dan, most of the bolt on lifts don't muck with the driveshaft, unless you're installing an EVO kit which "highly suggests" you change out the driveshaft because of the rubbing. Rockkrawler, MetalCloak, Mopar, Rancho, Icon don't require it.

My wife is 5'7 so she grabs the A pillar handle and she's in. My lil one at 5'1 is doing a full on rock climb extension to get in her seat lol. Picking up some Roam rocksteps at the end of the month to help everyone out. I like these because they follow the bodylines of the JL

Haven't been offroad yet as I've been travelling, but in normal DD situations, there's no rub
    I've been looking at comparisons b/t the Metalcloak and Teraflex lifts.

vCash
    If they stand up to the rocks, they seem to be an excellent mix of form and function.

I like them.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: b1er99
    Awesome, another Rubi on 37's! I finally swapped out my spacer lift for Metalcloak stuff a couple of months ago. 2.5 springs with a .5 teraflex spacer and Falcon shocks I can easily clear 40's and stuff these 37's... are you going to regear? I did... 4.88's is pretty much back to how it felt stock... I'd also tell you to throw those Mopar arms away and get a set of adjustables... you're going to want 6-7 degrees of caster and about an 1/8th of toe to make it drive correctly again... I'm about to toss the factory weak ass steering stuff for a Synergy HD kit, factory drag link and tie rod are junk...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190317_155951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	31515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_121406.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	31516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_121427.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	31517  
    Last edited by Fester; 06-25-2019 at 03:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fester View Post
    Awesome, another Rubi on 37's! I finally swapped out my spacer lift for Metalcloak stuff a couple of months ago. 2.5 springs with a .5 teraflex spacer and Falcon shocks I can easily clear 40's and stuff these 37's... are you going to regear? I did... 4.88's is pretty much back to how it felt stock... I'd also tell you to throw those Mopar arms away and get a set of adjustables... you're going to want 6-7 degrees of caster and about an 1/8th of toe to make it drive correctly again... I'm about to toss the factory weak ass steering stuff for a Synergy HD kit, factory drag link and tie rod are junk...
    I'm guessing you're probably going to be doing more w/ it than the OP.

BTW, are those the 2.1 Falcons? If so, how do you like them? I've been leaning towards the Teraflex 2.5" kit w/ the Falcon 2.1s. Right now, I don't think I'd need the 3.1 or 3.3's enough to merit the expense (can always upgrade to those later though). I've heard the Teraflex is "harsh", but I don't know if that's coming from people that have never had a harsh ride or from people that actually know what they're talking about.

I'm also checking out the Rock Krawler suspension lifts simply b/c of how many folks are raving over them. So many options.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-25-2019 at 05:26 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yep, 2.1's... I got a deal on them from Northridge4x4. They're stiff and lots of folks don't like them with anything but the softest coils. I've been running my tires at 28 lbs and it rides nice to be what it is (frankenstein lift)... everyone raves over the Metalcloak stuff with their shocks, Teraflex is good too but with softer coils and the 2.1's. I'm not sure it'd keep it's height with a winch and bumper for long... I truly think you'd never need a remote reservoir shock (3.1, 3.2 Kings etc) on anything but a dedicated trail rig on 40's+... but folks have to have them because they're cool I guess...

This is all I'm doing with it right now... towing my RZR.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61996822_10205604714313950_5249741940399800320_o.jpg 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	31521

vCash
    Yep, 2.1's... I got a deal on them from Northridge4x4. They're stiff and lots of folks don't like them with anything but the softest coils. I've been running my tires at 28 lbs and it rides nice to be what it is (frankenstein lift)... everyone raves over the Metalcloak stuff with their shocks, Teraflex is good too but with softer coils and the 2.1's. I'm not sure it'd keep it's height with a winch and bumper for long... I truly think you'd never need a remote reservoir shock (3.1, 3.2 Kings etc) on anything but a dedicated trail rig on 40's+... but folks have to have them because they're cool I guess...

This is all I'm doing with it right now... towing my RZR.

Name:	61996822_10205604714313950_5249741940399800320_o.jpg 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	31521
    The top three I've been hearing has been Metalcloak, Teraflex, and the RKs. I'm partial to Teraflex only b/c I've enjoyed their shocks on my TJ, but the springs are BDS, so it may just be a good combination b/t those two. I'm also running a Metalcloak trackbar on my TJ, as well. Not big on the gold color, but that's a minor cosmetic thing that wouldn't deter me either way.

I agree w/ the reservoir shock. Looks cool and is a display of money, but I think the 2.1s will be fine. Glad to hear someone else share some experience w/ them.

As far as the Teraflex coils... I was talking to someone from Teraflex and they suggested I run the 2-door coils on a JLU to get a non-harsh ride. I questioned him about the added weight of an aftermarket bumper, winch, rear bumper, swing arm, larger tire, rock sliders, etc... and he said if going to all of that, then he'd certainly lean towards the 4-door springs. Not sure why he'd even suggest the 2-doors on a 4-door. If someone's lifting a Jeep, they're almost certainly going to be adding a good bit of weight to it as well, in the form of bumpers, and other accessories.

I'm coming to the conclusion than any of those 3 are going to be a good quality choice and the difference b/t the 3 should be minor. Still, I'm going to do more research before I make a decision.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-25-2019 at 05:55 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I think I have everyone's junk on mine... MC, Teraflex, JKS, Rusty's, RC... If I had to start from scratch, I'd seriously look at MC, Teraflex, JKS and of all companies, Rancho... they seem to consistently get good reviews on the JL groups. My wife wants a little more lift on her JL Sport, I've had an MC kit sitting in my cart for a month now and I can't find a reason to go with the others... I'm waiting on a free shipping deal from MC.

Just to add some info from some questions above. JL Dana 44 axles are quite a bit stronger than their JK brothers:

JK right JL left

Name:	IMG_20190620_082443363.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	31522

But people are bending the rears with rocks and too much skinny pedal. No aftermarket shafts yet...

Driveshaft problems in the front don't normally happen until you hit 29 inches of front shock length, (stares in Metalcloak). Too much droop will kill the shaft. The boots get pinched on the cv's and they die shortly after.

A smaller diameter aftermarket shaft with a cardan joint at the T case is the fix. The rear shaft can be pushed over into the gas tank skid without a rear track bar, plus it's a huge thin gauge 4 foot long slip joint that will die on the first rock it gets close to.

To see what a JL can really do, look up Litebright on youtube. They started wheeling a cheap RC spacer kit and moved on to Metalcloak. They finally started breaking stuff on the east coast wheeling some rough stuff. They recently popped their motor with that stupid Prodigy turbo kit and are probably going to hemi swap their JL.

rambletron off...
    Last edited by Fester; 06-25-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added info

vCash
    I think I have everyone's junk on mine... MC, Teraflex, JKS, Rusty's, RC... If I had to start from scratch, I'd seriously look at MC, Teraflex, JKS and of all companies, Rancho... they seem to consistently get good reviews on the JL groups. My wife wants a little more lift on her JL Sport, I've had an MC kit sitting in my cart for a month now and I can't find a reason to go with the others... I'm waiting on a free shipping deal from MC.
    How are the MC springs on the road? Mine will be a DD that will also be taken off road, but I'm not into rock climbing. It's mostly hitting trails, mud, getting to remote areas to go fishing, etc.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Mine are quite a bit taller than the advertised 2.5 inches so be prepared for that. With the spacer lift, mine was 74 inches to the top... now it's a tad over 76.

Otherwise, they ride decent, firm with the Falcons, but my wife steals it when I'm out of town and she has zero complaints about the ride.

vCash
    To see what a JL can really do, look up Litebright on youtube. They started wheeling a cheap RC spacer kit and moved on to Metalcloak. They finally started breaking stuff on the east coast wheeling some rough stuff. They recently popped their motor with that stupid Prodigy turbo kit and are probably going to hemi swap their JL.

rambletron off...
    Yea, been following the litebright crew for awhile...thought it was stupid to run that turbo with suspect tuning, i mean, really? I suggested to Kevin to go with the 6.4l and just be aware of the heat issues with running that block

vCash
    I've seen several of those Litebright videos. They're decently entertaining and somewhat informative.

I've been reading a lot more about the linear springs (like TF uses) VS multi-rate springs (that RK & MC uses) and despite TF being one of the top brands, they seem a little behind using a linear spring compared to RK and MC using a multi-rate spring. Still doing some reading, but right now, I'm not looking more at an RK system.

Again, I don't think I can go wrong w/ any of the higher quality brands. They all have a huge following w/ few complaints.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 06-25-2019 at 08:39 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yea, been following the litebright crew for awhile...thought it was stupid to run that turbo with suspect tuning, i mean, really? I suggested to Kevin to go with the 6.4l and just be aware of the heat issues with running that block
    I meet them in person when they were in Georgia a month or so ago... they'd already started planning to move to something else but wasn't sure what at that point... it will probably boil down to who ever will give them the best option for free...

Name:	20190503_122921.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	31524

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    I meet them in person when they were in Georgia a month or so ago... they'd already started planning to move to something else but wasn't sure what at that point... it will probably boil down to who ever will give them the best option for free...

Name:	20190503_122921.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	31524
    was she wearing those same tight ass blue jeans? like in EVERY video?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    and midriff cutoff shirt. That's important too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    Gotta get those views

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yes and yes... and Kevin is 5 feet tall on a good day...

This was recorded the day I met them...

Last edited by Fester; 06-25-2019 at 11:59 PM.

vCash
    You seem pretty excited to have met them. Did they sign your dash?

vCash
    I do like their videos. Especially the one where they toured JL Audio in Florida.

vCash
    I do like their videos. Especially the one where they toured JL Audio in Florida.
    I think they had the first video that came up when I searched for a Tazer.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You seem pretty excited to have met them. Did they sign your dash?
    No, I was in my company truck... I happened to be up in Dalton Ga the night before and they posted where they were going to be. It was on the way home... I was there maybe 30 minutes...

It was cool to look over their JL. I got to see the audio stuff before they posted the video so they told me to keep my mouth shut about anything they hadn't done a video on yet...
    Last edited by Fester; 06-26-2019 at 12:45 AM.

vCash
    You thinking just lower adj arms to fix that or both? Mine just failed an alignment check too.

Way negative camber on the front right and just a little too positive on the left.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You can't do anything about camber with a solid front axle. Caster can be fixed with adjustable arms, lower or upper... JL's seem to like 6-7 degrees positive caster. Factory spec is 4.5 to 5.5.

Get the arms and a harbor freight angle gauge and you can set it in your driveway without jacking it up. Just swap one arm at a time. Several vendors have the arm lengths on their web sites. Adjust to length before install and check caster after. Easy peasy.

vCash
    I figured you could do the alignment at home. I've done it on my TJ and figured the JL was very similar. Sounds like adjusting the caster can be done as well.

vCash
    Just an update to my buildout, through some Roam frame mounted step rock sliders on. Thinking next up, down the road, will be a metal bumper with a winch for recovery purposes.

vCash
    Looks good

Pics of Jeep on the trail where recovery might be needed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Looks good

Pics of Jeep on the trail where recovery might be needed?
    Your incessant gatekeeping is sad.

vCash
    Just an update to my buildout, through some Roam frame mounted step rock sliders on. Thinking next up, down the road, will be a metal bumper with a winch for recovery purposes.

Those are some of the better looking ones I've seen.

vCash
    I like those. First time seeing them I think.

Looks like a squared transition at the front though... seems like an angle would help prevent hanging, but that would be in an extreme circumstance anyway.
    Last edited by CT Morgan; 07-10-2019 at 07:37 PM.