Thread: Where are we selling cars private party these days?

Registered Member

vCash

Where are we selling cars private party these days?

I listed my 15 ram 2500 on cargurus and autotrader last week and only gotten one bite, slight low ball offer and noncommittal.. Iíd do CL too but a)it costs money now and b) CL seems like its completely overrun by shady car dealers and sketchy deals.

Where else should I list? Itís a Laramie, 59k miles, brand new stock size falkens, mostly stock (has 3Ē carli suspension but I donít even mention it in the ad, it looks like it has a leveling kit), Iím looking to get 40k. Itís the cheapest listed with similar miles within 100 miles of me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62EAC57E-50B2-466C-ACF7-70EF7A3EE01F.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	31425  

vCash
    40 grand for a 59k mile dodge? Surprised a used Dodge can pull that kind of money.

Edit: Is this the same truck that you got ass-ended in right after you installed the dash camera? I think it was you that posted the video.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 06-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.

vCash
    Craigslist for life!

vCash
    Cars.com

Facebook marketplace

Craigslist

Be patient

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Facebook Marketplace

If it's over 10k, will prolly take a while to move.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    40 grand for a 59k mile dodge? Surprised a used Dodge can pull that kind of money.

Edit: Is this the same truck that you got ass-ended in right after you installed the dash camera? I think it was you that posted the video.
    Kbb is 41 check prices in your area. Similar trucks here are listed for 43-48k, all dealers though.

It is. She hit my hitch and only twisted the cross bar that bolts between the frame rails. Was like $700 for the body shop to fix.

Thx.. will add cars.com, fb, and cL.

I like to do the breaking in person LV2XLR8's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: That LSU Guy
    cargurus.com or cars.com

vCash
    If I was in your area and in the market for a 2015 2500 Ram Laramie with under 60k miles for around $40k, I'd absolutely be interested.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Just be patient. I think your price is more than fair. Just make sure to take lots of good pictures and write a good description.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 06-05-2019 at 07:33 PM.

vCash
    Craigslist is now charging $5 per car ad and won’t let you refresh unless you pay another $5. Still a deal compared to others but I feel like the volume has gone down considerably.

vCash
    I used Cargurus last year for my Slobalt SS

vCash
    All I look at is Facebook Marketplace and Autotrader any more. Craigslist is overrun with irrelevent car ads now, regardless if you have to pay to list... it's just spam now.
    Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 06-05-2019 at 07:57 PM.

vCash
    I can't stand autotrader with their tiered structure of displaying ads based on how much the seller paid. It makes it a pain in the ass to sort the ads in the way you want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I can't stand autotrader with their tiered structure of displaying ads based on how much the seller paid. It makes it a pain in the ass to sort the ads in the way you want.
    I started using cars.com because of that and it seems like it's better than autotrader. There are still a few sponsored listings but that's to be expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by easttexasws6 View Post
    I started using cars.com because of that and it seems like it's better than autotrader. There are still a few sponsored listings but that's to be expected.
    That's my go to as well.

vCash
    I did CL, but got a message from Carvana who gave me a very fair deal on my wife's Jeep. They offered $2k more than any dealership and was $1500 under my bottom dollar on private sale.
    Last edited by crAzy; 06-05-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Why wouldn't you just trade it for the tax incentive and no hassle vs selling it private party for $500 more?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    Why wouldn't you just trade it for the tax incentive and no hassle vs selling it private party for $500 more?
    Not all states give you a tax credit for the trade in.

vCash
    Where can I find a dealer that will pay only $500 less than private party? Damn.

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
    Where can I find a dealer that will pay only $500 less than private party? Damn.
    No kidding. Dealers usually only give you about 70% of what you get private party, if that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carvana is shady. There's no way they inspect the vehicles like they claim. Or if they do, they just see they are fucked and let it be sold anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    Carvana is shady. There's no way they inspect the vehicles like they claim. Or if they do, they just see they are fucked and let it be sold anyway
    Welcome to used car sales across the board.

vCash
    They gave me no problems.

vCash
    I wish these sites would add the ability to exclude cars with certain options. For example, I can't fit in a newer Camaro if it has a moonroof. Let me select to exclude all cars with a moonroof so I'm not spending time trying to identify them based on the pictures provided.

Quote Originally Posted by crAzy View Post
    They gave me no problems.
    They delivered a car for my sister that was rusted to fuck. Then the delivery guy said he agrees that she should reject delivery because of how bad it was. He said he's seen quite a few in the same condition, but the customer didn't notice or have an issue with it
    It was awful.

vCash
    Maybe Carvana?

nevermind....I see that's already been mentioned. I didnt read
    Last edited by Lucius Clay; 06-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    No kidding. Dealers usually only give you about 70% of what you get private party, if that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    When I bought my Subaru the dealer offered $1700 for my ‘00 GT like it was a favor... said it was too old to turn around and would just auction off. I flat out laughed at the price and said that’s ok. Sold it a week later for $3800 to the first guy that looked at it.

vCash
    I've had good luck with FB marketplace. I'd suggest finding a Ram specific group or two and posting it there as well. Typically there are groups that are buy/sell specific.

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    When I bought my Subaru the dealer offered $1700 for my Ď00 GT like it was a favor... said it was too old to turn around and would just auction off. I flat out laughed at the price and said thatís ok. Sold it a week later for $3800 to the first guy that looked at it.
    $2500 I think it was for my 01 when I traded it in on our Jeep . Everything was agreed to ahead of time and I couldnít run fast enough to the finance office when the sales guy said they were going to buzz it through service to inspect it. Car had some issues

Blog Entries
    vCash
    When I bought my Subaru the dealer offered $1700 for my ‘00 GT like it was a favor... said it was too old to turn around and would just auction off. I flat out laughed at the price and said that’s ok. Sold it a week later for $3800 to the first guy that looked at it.
    He was probably telling you the truth though. When I was in car sales we made a lot of people mad because they knew their car was worth more than the offer. They forget though that I can't pay you what your car is worth and make a profit. Just because you like your car if it is something a bank won't give a loan on then it is a hassle for me to move.

OP your quickest bet is to sell to something like CarMax. If you want 40+ grand you need to advertise everywhere you can and be prepared to ride it out for a while. Most used car buyers are not going to pay that in a private party transaction.

vCash
    They delivered a car for my sister that was rusted to fuck. Then the delivery guy said he agrees that she should reject delivery because of how bad it was. He said he's seen quite a few in the same condition, but the customer didn't notice or have an issue with it
    It was awful.
    Well I have only been on the sell side of it. Never bought anything from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    He was probably telling you the truth though. When I was in car sales we made a lot of people mad because they knew their car was worth more than the offer. They forget though that I can't pay you what your car is worth and make a profit. Just because you like your car if it is something a bank won't give a loan on then it is a hassle for me to move.

OP your quickest bet is to sell to something like CarMax. If you want 40+ grand you need to advertise everywhere you can and be prepared to ride it out for a while. Most used car buyers are not going to pay that in a private party transaction.
    Oh I understand they won't make a profit on it, and the need to move it to a used car dealer, especially when buying from a big dealership... it's just the way they presented it matter-of-factly that that's what it's worth... My guy made it sound like there was only $200 in profit on the car for anyone selling it. In reality If they paid $1700 and auctioned it off for $2000... or $2500 even... the used car guy is going to list it for $6000.

I guess we all know that's how the game is played and there's not really anything there to actually gripe about. I just find it funny how they will take a special edition or upscale model and act like you're selling them a base model 200k V6 with questionable stains all over the interior and one mismatched wheel.

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post

I'd def take it to CM if it was stock.. I still may just to see what they say. I'm pretty sure b/c of the suspension they will low ball the fuck out of me. When they were still selling C5 Z06s for 28-30k, they offered me 15k for my low mileage immaculate '03 Z06, I think because it had an "aftermarket" GM blue sway bar on the front.

I've got until Nov to sell it, so plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by crAzy View Post
    Well I have only been on the sell side of it. Never bought anything from there.
    I might check out their buying side of it and get an offer on one of my cars. But yeah, whoever plans to buy from them needs to get the car in the air and do a full inspection. Do not trust their people