Thread: Well I am just full of car troubles lately, Bad gas or injector maybe?

vCash

Well I am just full of car troubles lately, Bad gas or injector maybe?

Wife's car had an issue, got it sorted and then the jeep did, got it sorted and now the wife's car again. lol

2014 Buick Regal GS 2.0l Turbo LHU engine 97,000 miles.
    Firing order: 1-3-4-2

So one day the GS suddenly lost power and started shaking while getting on the Interstate. Lit up the traction contorl inop, FLashing SES light, Collision avoidance disable, etc. Had no power and was rough running at idle and all speeds, limped back home.

Ran scanner, Narrowed it down to a Coil pack on Number 2 by moving them around and having the issue follow and threw misfire codes on which ever cylinder I moved it too. Ordered and replaced all four coil packs since the wife travels a lot and it was a cheap fix.

Running great for the last three weeks and suddenly Monday the car started bucking and surging around 2800 RPM's (which is right at boost territory I think). It will surge and buck all the way up to 5k rpm's (as high as I ran it). It idles fine, it runs fine as long as you are not under heavy load (steep hill), driving easy. No SES light at first, nothing on scanner.

Went driving last night and pushed it a bit and finally got a SES light. Misfire Cylinder #4. Ok, so bad new coil pack maybe. So jumped under the hood and moved coil pack and spark plug #4 to #2, Cleared code, went back out.

Took a bit longer for the SES light to come on even though it was still surging, but when I scanned it it now said "Misfire Cylinder #3". WTF? Well that is interesting, I was expecting #2. I ran out of time to keep testing.

I did get gas in it Sunday. I am about half a tank and am just waiting for it to get a bit lower to see if new gas will help, but I find it interesting it may be seeing various misfires, so that would lead me to think Injectors maybe, but more likely Cranksensor or bad gas or MAF even? I found cranksensor on some site talking about diagnosing this, but I had the Cranksensor go out in the Z one time and it just flat out wouldn't start the car. I replaced the spark plugs around 20k miles ago with factory plugs. Looking at them, they look like they are running rich, but I think that's just turbo tuning in these stock cars.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has tracked something like this down while I investigate yet again.

It seems the car community on almost all cars was a bit larger in the past. It's getting harder and harder to find info now. Maybe that was just a Sports car thing as I could find any directions to do damn near anything on the Camaro, Vette, Mustang, hell even the Blazer. Now it's a lot more searching to find things like "How to best get to the injectors on a 2.0l LHU Turbo motor". I could have had a fully written up procedure on my cars in the past found online.

I think my balking at extended warranties is coming to an end in my older age.
    Last edited by FirehawkNS; 05-29-2019 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkNS View Post
    it was a cheap fix.
    I think this may be your problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by easttexasws6 View Post
    I think this may be your problem.
    lol, well cheap fix as in $200 in coil packs was better then another one going out while she is 4 hours from home.

vCash
    lol, well cheap fix as in $200 in coil packs was better then another one going out while she is 4 hours from home.
    Were they OE coils? Did you do plugs at the same time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by easttexasws6 View Post
    Were they OE coils? Did you do plugs at the same time?
    Yea, OE. No, since I did them not too long ago (a year and a couple of months ago, OE as well).

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Check all of the plugs to see if they are fouled. Are you running high octane? Those engines are direct injection right?

vCash
    Yea, OE. No, since I did them not too long ago (a year and a couple of months ago, OE as well).
    Strange. I would look past the coils and plugs and start digging deeper for sure.

vCash
    I didn't realize she still has that car. I thought y'all already traded it.

There are some of them running around here and it's a good looking car. I think GM did an excellent job with it... I just don't care for the engine selections.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    I think there is a large fuse in the engine bay fuse box that could be checked.

vCash
    Can you pull off the intake tubing and see if you're getting oil into the intake? Combine that with direct injection and you may have a decent bit of buildup on your intake valves being your pushing 100k miles. May need a media blasting session.

BTW, a 2014 should have the LTG 2.0. The LHU was '11-'13. I got rid of my '12 with only 52k miles but I could see a little oil weeping from the charge piping. I shudder to think what those valves looked like. There's enough pics of the LNF (basically the LHU) from the Cobalt SS guys out there showing a lot of valve sludging.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-cleaning.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Check all of the plugs to see if they are fouled. Are you running high octane? Those engines are direct injection right?
    Always run 93 (per suggested in the manual) since we bought it new.

Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    I didn't realize she still has that car. I thought y'all already traded it.

There are some of them running around here and it's a good looking car. I think GM did an excellent job with it... I just don't care for the engine selections.
    She loves this car so much, but hates the redesigned one, so we have considered trading it in if we find a good 2016 or 17 model with low miles. Since it's the work car, it won't last another 4 years before we will need to trade it anyway at 20k miles a year and long out of town trips monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Can you pull off the intake tubing and see if you're getting oil into the intake? Combine that with direct injection and you may have a decent bit of buildup on your intake valves being your pushing 100k miles. May need a media blasting session.

BTW, a 2014 should have the LTG 2.0. The LHU was '11-'13. I got rid of my '12 with only 52k miles but I could see a little oil weeping from the charge piping. I shudder to think what those valves looked like. There's enough pics of the LNF (basically the LHU) from the Cobalt SS guys out there showing a lot of valve sludging.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-cleaning.html
    I had a hard time narrowing down the actual motor and found a wiki page that said LHU in 2014 GS.

As a matter of fact, I did remove the intake tubing to see if anything was clogged and was surprised to see oil at the turbo. I also did see some people on a WRX forum complaining about this issue and saying it was valves gunked up and to do a compression test. Also some hints at PCV Valve causing this. Just all sorts of things that might just have me at the dealer due to being difficult dropping down a car with her travels.

vCash
    turbo engines weep a tiny bit of oil past the seals anyway. that's why the turbo DI engines are worse than NA or supercharged engines.

not enough "burn oil" but maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup between oil changes, and all that gets carbonized with the EGR and PCV too. i bet those valves are rough at 100k.

vCash
    2014 was definitely the LTG. That was the redesign year and when AWD became available. GS dropped from 270 to 259hp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    2014 was definitely the LTG. That was the redesign year and when AWD became available. GS dropped from 270 to 259hp.
    Good to know, I shall update my records.

vCash
    I'm just glad I didn't go through with the Tune several years back. It would have 100% been blamed for this by the wife. lol

vCash
    The traction control light and the collision warning disable going on there could be something else electrically going on. Modern coils don't just go bad en-masse. Dont remove the DI injectors unless you have special tools to remove and replace the tip seals, they are one time use. I've seen them tear and get damaged during an injector swap causing combustion gas to escape starting a fire.

What scanner do you have? A handheld one or an OBD bluetooth dongle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KrispyCharger View Post
    The traction control light and the collision warning disable going on there could be something else electrically going on. Modern coils don't just go bad en-masse. Dont remove the DI injectors unless you have special tools to remove and replace the tip seals, they are one time use. I've seen them tear and get damaged during an injector swap causing combustion gas to escape starting a fire.

What scanner do you have? A handheld one or an OBD bluetooth dongle?
    From research, actually it seems the traction control and collision disable are commom lights when experiencing the P030X codes.

It's just an OBD BT Dongle and Torque.

vCash
    Look to see what happens to lambda and the short and long term fueling adaptive when its happening. If your fuel system was under delivering you would see either lambda increase (go lean) or the fueling adaptives go positive (commanding more fuel than it normally would).

vCash
    And the verdict was......Bad new part. One of the coil packs was bad out of the box I guess. replaced with one of the original that I knew was good and issues resolved.

time for your annual... Dr. Lexus's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    And the verdict was......Bad new part. One of the coil packs was bad out of the box I guess. replaced with one of the original that I knew was good and issues resolved.
    Makes sense based on what was happening. But damn, that sucks.