Thread: Issues with Transfer Case in Jeep

vCash

Issues with Transfer Case in Jeep

Friday when I got in the Jeep (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l), I noticed a quick round of clicking coming from the vehicle at first I didn't notice any other things until a little more driving. I have narrowed it down to the Transfer Case, but not sure which part to focus on first. Just checking to see if anyone here has dealt with this before I go in a bit blind or give in to the dealer.

Through testing I observed the following.

Clicks
    ~ Clicks coming from Transfer Case (sounds like from the Transfer Case motor on Pass side)
    ~ It happens When ignition is put to run (not cranked) 13-16 Clicks once and not again but always the same 13-16 clicks together quickly through all observations.
    ~ It happens When Vehicle is started.
    ~ It happens When putting into drive or reverse
    ~ It happens When turning the wheels
    ~ It happens When braking I think
    ~ It Doesn't happen any other time.

Mostly drives normal'ish. When reversing and turning the wheel sharp it feels like the 4wd system is dragging. Lots of resistance. I believe it feels a little resistance going forward as well and turning sharp.

No 4wd service light or inop light. No indication of issues on dash. No issues accelerating or driving at speed. 4wd looks to shift through modes fine.

Through research a lot of people have had the FDCM (final drive control module or Transfer Case Control Module) replaced at the dealer for this. I have yet to see a post pointing to this issue in a 2014 or newer WK2, mostly 2012 and older. Also mentioned in a couple of post is the dealer has to program the control unit. Not sure what they are programming it for though and only saw that a couple of times for older jeeps.

Some people said they replaced just the Control unit, some just the motor, some both, some the entire transfer case. Seems you have to have a special scanner to see any codes for the 4wd system, but since I don't have any lights, I assume I don't have any codes possible. My scanner doesn't show any issues.

The control unit is $250 on rock auto, the motor is $350. Dealer looks to charge around $800 for control unit with labor some have reported, the motor looks to run $1000 with labor. I already have the control unit out to get the PN from it.

My biggest concern right now is finding the info on programming and I don't know enough on transfer cases to know if I need to drain it to pull the motor. I would assume so, but can't find anything online. Seems most people just go to the dealer to work on these. :/

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by FirehawkNS; 05-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.

vCash
    Also, I guess there is no way to put these in 2wd mode? I really need to at least get through the week or a couple of days while parts arrive if I go this route. Or I might just have to suck it up and do the dealer thing.

Went out to test and it is not happy turning the wheel moving forward. I am concerned to drive it much.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    I know nothing about Jeeps but I'd be knee deep in jeep forums to find out if its really only dealers that can program it. Or see if you can replace the parts yourself and have a dealer program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    I know nothing about Jeeps but I'd be knee deep in jeep forums to find out if its really only dealers that can program it. Or see if you can replace the parts yourself and have a dealer program.
    I have been. I need to create a thread as well on a few I am signed up on. Looks like it is really simple parts replacement for the two items I believe is causing the issues. I am having trouble finding what this programming is that is needed. I did read a few threads with people talking about doing figure eights in a parking lot to "set" it, but that was on mid 2000 models. I figure worse case, drive it to the dealer to check it out afterwards, but I am really curious what exactly is getting programmed.

Parts won't be here until Thursday, so I have time to read. In the meantime, good thing I can work from home. lol.

The annoying thing to work is the wifes car went down last week (Coil Pack crapped out suddenly, easy fix, took a while to get parts), so I was out some then too. Both vehicles 2014, both right at 90k miles (nearly identical milage), both crap out near the same time. I just found that amusing (assume the transfer case hasn't shit the bed, then none of this is amusing). lol

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkNS View Post
    Also, I guess there is no way to put these in 2wd mode? I really need to at least get through the week or a couple of days while parts arrive if I go this route. Or I might just have to suck it up and do the dealer thing.

Went out to test and it is not happy turning the wheel moving forward. I am concerned to drive it much.
    Nope, it's 4x4 all the time. You can put it in 4-low, but that wouldn't help you out at all and might actually hurt something.
    If there is no CEL and the transmission isn't in limp mode, I'd probably just schedule it at a shop and drive it until then.

vCash
    Got her Resolved. Turned out it was just the Tranfercase control Module. Both parts came in, but since it was the 3 minute install, I threw it on when I got home from work and the issue resolved.

Even more, I have posted on here complaining about strange shift throttle issues with the Jeep that seemed to be getting worse. All of that went away. Thing is shifting smoother than I remember in a long time. The random shudder I would get didn't happen at all during test drive yesterday and then to work today. I think this thing was having issues for a while and just finally shit the bed.

$250 fix and back up and running. Not too horrible.

vCash
    Good job! That's always a great feeling.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    That was guaranteed at least $1250 if you had went to the dealer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    That was guaranteed at least $1250 if you had went to the dealer
    Right! And the added bonus that I had complained of the shifting twice during warranty and they kept telling me it was normal.

vCash
    That's always a good feeling. I changed my oil and rotated my tires last night. I always question why the hell I just don't have it done during the middle of doing it every time.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Whew, glad it was nothing major!