Results 1 to 56 of 56

Thread: ~15k awd/4wd vehicle

  1. #1
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57

    ~15k awd/4wd vehicle

    Puttting my SQ5 up for sale this weekend, getting something fun that is rwd...

    still want awd/4wd for winter/mountains/etc. What pops in your head for ~15k range? Has to be 4 door.

    - used Tacoma? (would be really used, i know...)
    - one of those Lexus that snake eater is always talking about?
    - 4runner? (again, would be really used)

    just want something that is good in shit weather that doesn't look like a huge POS.

  2. #2
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    172,460
    vCash
    68035
    07-11 JKU.

    If you can, I'd up your budget a few grand and get a '12+JKU
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 05-01-2019 at 02:19 AM.

  3. #3
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    I have one of those Snake Eater Lexus (GX470) and it really is a great truck, built well but is a gas hog FYI. Also timing belt is still a thing every 90k-100k. They are super capable though and drive really smooth. Perfect for the kiddo too when needed

  4. #4
    Registered Member NHRATA01's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    24,283
    vCash
    7534
    Used Colorado/Canyon? They seem to be doing better than even the new Taco's in the mag comparison tests and will be better bang for the buck used.

  5. #5
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    07-11 JKU.

    If you can, I'd up your budget a few grand and get a '12+JKU
    i've had a jeep - never again.

  6. #6
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Used Colorado/Canyon? They seem to be doing better than even the new Taco's in the mag comparison tests and will be better bang for the buck used.
    yea, i did think about those when i thought of a Tacoma....

  7. #7
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    I have one of those Snake Eater Lexus (GX470) and it really is a great truck, built well but is a gas hog FYI. Also timing belt is still a thing every 90k-100k. They are super capable though and drive really smooth. Perfect for the kiddo too when needed
    ...plus i like the looks of them still, they have aged well. how much and how many miles was yours?

  8. #8
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    ...plus i like the looks of them still, they have aged well. how much and how many miles was yours?
    Paid $11.5k with 130k on an 07 that had the timing belt done at Lexus at 98k

    Mine has the Nav package and all that too, so all the bells and whistles. I hear some hate the Nav package as it is a touch screen for all systems (A/C, Radio, Nav, Maintenance, etc) but personally I like it.

    Only thing to look for since the special warranty is expired is check the dash. They have that tacky or cracked dash on them. Mine has it but super minor.

    All around I am happy with it, agree it has aged well (interior too), and they seem to be rather built proof overall. Just a good overall truck.
    Last edited by Nate's4.6; 05-01-2019 at 02:34 AM.

  9. #9
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    I do like the land cruisers and Lexus trucks. They are nice.

  10. #10
    Bugzapper gonna zap 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    37,368
    vCash
    63
    Newest Silverado or f150 you can afford.

  11. #11
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    29,075
    vCash
    12575
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    ...plus i like the looks of them still, they have aged well. how much and how many miles was yours?
    That's a solid idea. I think the market has turned on them and they seem to be maintaining or increasing in price now so I doubt you could really lose money on one.

  12. #12
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88,212
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Newest Silverado or f150 you can afford.
    This

  13. #13
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    Paid $11.5k with 130k on an 07 that had the timing belt done at Lexus at 98k

    Mine has the Nav package and all that too, so all the bells and whistles. I hear some hate the Nav package as it is a touch screen for all systems (A/C, Radio, Nav, Maintenance, etc) but personally I like it.

    Only thing to look for since the special warranty is expired is check the dash. They have that tacky or cracked dash on them. Mine has it but super minor.

    All around I am happy with it, agree it has aged well (interior too), and they seem to be rather built proof overall. Just a good overall truck.
    damn, 11k, ok, ok!

  14. #14
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    553
    vCash
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    Puttting my SQ5 up for sale this weekend, getting something fun that is rwd...still want awd/4wd for winter/mountains/etc. What pops in your head for ~15k range? Has to be 4 door.

    - used Tacoma? (would be really used, i know...)
    - one of those Lexus that snake eater is always talking about?
    - 4runner? (again, would be really used)

    just want something that is good in shit weather that doesn't look like a huge POS.
    Details on SQ5?

  15. #15
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Newfield NJ
    Posts
    11,670
    vCash
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    07-11 JKU.

    If you can, I'd up your budget a few grand and get a '12+JKU
    WTF is a JKU?

  16. #16
    DANSBIRD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    172,460
    vCash
    68035
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    WTF is a JKU?
    JK Unlimited (4-Door)

  17. #17
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002b4ccamaro View Post
    Details on SQ5?
    - 2016, comes with 21inch wheels/tired + 19in snow tires/wheels.
    - stage 1.5 tune, done by 303 motorsports, ~420-440hp? who knows really...
    - white/black interior, diamond stitching in seats
    - 50k miles.

  18. #18
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27,812
    vCash
    193
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Used Colorado/Canyon? They seem to be doing better than even the new Taco's in the mag comparison tests and will be better bang for the buck used.
    Way over priced for what they are.

  19. #19
    Registered Member runningmole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,129
    vCash
    1283
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    I have one of those Snake Eater Lexus (GX470) and it really is a great truck, built well but is a gas hog FYI. Also timing belt is still a thing every 90k-100k. They are super capable though and drive really smooth. Perfect for the kiddo too when needed
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Used Colorado/Canyon? They seem to be doing better than even the new Taco's in the mag comparison tests and will be better bang for the buck used.
    Friends with each of these & both love them. Friend with the Lexus has it modded for his overland adventures.
    https://instagram.com/bonsaioverland...d=ufvo9avyxyha

  20. #20
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    Friends with each of these & both love them. Friend with the Lexus has it modded for his overland adventures.
    https://instagram.com/bonsaioverland...d=ufvo9avyxyha
    Think you posted his before. I love it but mine will stay stock.

    Mine is that same color as well.

  21. #21
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    made this thread and now my facebook feed is full of KBB "best car under X amount" ads.

    crazy

  22. #22
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27,812
    vCash
    193
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    made this thread and now my facebook feed is full of KBB "best car under X amount" ads.

    crazy
    stop accepting tracking cookies

  23. #23
    Registered Member runningmole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,129
    vCash
    1283
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    Think you posted his before. I love it but mine will stay stock.

    Mine is that same color as well.

    Cool rigs, even stock

  24. #24
    Super Dee Duper Moderator
    98 SNAKE EATER's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jamaica, NYC
    Posts
    18,485
    vCash
    1000
    I'm not even gunna say it

  25. #25
    Registered Member TITAN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    vCash
    500
    The GX470 option is a great one for sure. If you need/want a truck, then consider an Avalanche. Full size 4 door built on the Suburban chassis so it rides great and has the utility of the bed if you need it.

  26. #26
    All cops everywhere suck Det.Rice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Killadelphia
    Posts
    15,810
    vCash
    4530
    You’ll just post the video

  27. #27
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN View Post
    The GX470 option is a great one for sure. If you need/want a truck, then consider an Avalanche. Full size 4 door built on the Suburban chassis so it rides great and has the utility of the bed if you need it.
    I do miss my Cadi EXT at times. Hate that idea is long gone.

    the cadi is also AWD if there is interest from Tater in that.

  28. #28
    Registered Member TOPPED_OUT's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    500
    Whatchu getting that's rwd and fun? Hmmmmmmmmm??

  29. #29
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
    Whatchu getting that's rwd and fun? Hmmmmmmmmm??
    Since I don't have to worry about driving it in shit weather, I want a stick.

    Everyday I drive by a chev dealership and the other day they had a matte grey Zl1 Camaro and it was F'n hot. I wouldn't get the a Zl1, but def want whatever color of grey that was.

  30. #30
    Bugzapper gonna zap 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    37,368
    vCash
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    Since I don't have to worry about driving it in shit weather, I want a stick.

    Everyday I drive by a chev dealership and the other day they had a matte grey Zl1 Camaro and it was F'n hot. I wouldn't get the a Zl1, but def want whatever color of grey that was.
    6th gen Camaros are really fun cars.

  31. #31
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    6th gen Camaros are really fun cars.
    with a good wheel/tire combo, they look fantastic.

  32. #32
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    107,007
    vCash
    19025
    surprised you are considering an american car

    either way

  33. #33
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    Snakeeater- are the 3rd gen LX's just as good (even the late models?) Or do you have to get a 2nd gen for it to be bulletproof?

  34. #34
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    Oh my.




  35. #35
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27,812
    vCash
    193
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmplano View Post
    Oh my.



    you cant take that off-roading!

  36. #36
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    If I had that I wouldn't be going off roading you jagaloon!

  37. #37
    Super Dee Duper Moderator
    98 SNAKE EATER's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jamaica, NYC
    Posts
    18,485
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmplano View Post
    Snakeeater- are the 3rd gen LX's just as good (even the late models?) Or do you have to get a 2nd gen for it to be bulletproof?
    The 80, 100 and 200 series are all bullet proof

    It just comes down to how far offroad you plan on going

    If your main purpose is hitting the trails, go with the 80

    Solid axles and front/center/rear locking diffs make it unstoppabble


    The 100 series gives you a little more comfort and V8 power, but you get an IFS and lose the front locker

    Still a very capable rig, but with better road manners

    I personally prefer the GX470 over the LX470 as it has the same engine/drivetrain, but in a smaller package that still seats 7

    The 200 series gives you even more comfort, space and power, but is a bit too fancy for me to go wheeling with

  38. #38
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    Ah yes- the GX does look much better with lift and tires. Not sure I was thinking of LX; just didn't realize they were different I think.

  39. #39
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27,812
    vCash
    193
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmplano View Post
    If I had that I wouldn't be going off roading you jagaloon!
    then why get a awd/fwd?

  40. #40
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    then why get a awd/fwd?
    Because that is how they come standard.

  41. #41
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27,812
    vCash
    193
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's4.6 View Post
    Because that is how they come standard.
    so forcing buyers into something they dont need.

  42. #42
    Registered Member zo6pilot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    8,599
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    so forcing buyers into something they dont need.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    White trash!! Nate's4.6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    48,178
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    2400
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    so forcing buyers into something they dont need.
    sure.

    I will never use the 4x4 on my GX but I wanted a GX, so guess what I have now?......4x4.


    Should I have not bought it though since it comes standard with something I wouldn't ever be using?

  44. #44
    Patronist esandes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,154
    vCash
    746
    Volvo xc60 T6, R design if possible.

    They came with a 3L inline 6 turbo. Super reliable, safe and 4wd.

    The years were 2010-2017 I think. The r design has 330 HP and 360 lbft.

    I'm looking for a R with low milage right now.
    Last edited by esandes; 05-05-2019 at 01:28 AM.

  45. #45
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    Volvo xc60 T6, R design if possible.

    They came with a 3L inline 6 turbo. Super reliable, safe and 4wd.

    The years were 2010-2017 I think. The r design has 330 HP and 360 lbft.

    I'm looking for a R with low milage right now.
    same size as my Audi, going to enjoy more room in the Lexus GX. I'm sold, that is for sure what i'm getting.

  46. #46
    Patronist esandes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,154
    vCash
    746
    Lexus has no balls. Why not a xc90? It doesn't get the turbo engine but it's bigger than the sq5.

  47. #47
    Registered Member runningmole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,129
    vCash
    1283
    Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    Volvo xc60 T6, R design if possible.

    They came with a 3L inline 6 turbo. Super reliable, safe and 4wd.

    The years were 2010-2017 I think. The r design has 330 HP and 360 lbft.

    I'm looking for a R with low milage right now.
    My parents have a '16 xc60 with the super & turbocharged 4cyl. Zippy for what it is & 300hp.

  48. #48
    Super Dee Duper Moderator
    98 SNAKE EATER's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jamaica, NYC
    Posts
    18,485
    vCash
    1000

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    same size as my Audi, going to enjoy more room in the Lexus GX. I'm sold, that is for sure what i'm getting.
    Throwing this one out there just to get a reaction
































    AWD, more space than any SUV, can be had for well under your budget, better gas mileage than the GX, and the La-Z-Boy seats in the Limited models are just tits




  49. #49
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    Lexus has no balls. Why not a xc90? It doesn't get the turbo engine but it's bigger than the sq5.
    not a volvo fan

  50. #50
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    snake eater - wtf is that thing? i'm slightly interested.

  51. #51
    Registered Member tater's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    24,580
    vCash
    57
    a f'n Sienna? The one you posted looks cool, was thinking they came like that, lol. no f'n way.

  52. #52
    Super Dee Duper Moderator
    98 SNAKE EATER's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jamaica, NYC
    Posts
    18,485
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    snake eater - wtf is that thing? i'm slightly interested.
    3rd Gen Sienna with a lift kit

    https://www.journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html

  53. #53
    This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    8,939
    vCash
    1705
    I would drive that Sienna

  54. #54
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    2425 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    33,703
    vCash
    17133
    I would be driven in that sienna

  55. #55
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,693
    vCash
    2666
    Any chance of buying a Subaru?

  56. #56
    Registered Member runningmole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,129
    vCash
    1283
    Previa

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •