Thread: Need help with buying used jeep pls :)

vCash

Question Need help with buying used jeep pls :)

I have stalked here for years but now need advice. We live in East Texas and are looking at a 97 Wrangler Sport. They are asking 8.9K with an auto. Has about 88k miles. Comes with soft and hard top and says soft doors and half doors with windows. Is this first a good price and is there anything on this year that is concerning. This will most or less be a toy for me to drive to work daily with my 12 yo son which is about 2 miles away. Thanks for any info you guys might have on this model. BTW is shows Rough Country on the front fender if that means anything to you guys.

also found out it is a 4 banger. will this effect if we are going mudding later. not planning on rock crawling. mostly farm crap and maybe a 10ft trailer.
    Last edited by midnite; 04-22-2019 at 12:24 AM.

going postal

vCash
    Try jeepforum.com might get better help there. I'm on my 3rd jeep but all have been 04 and newer.

vCash
    Do not buy if it's a 4-cylinder... unless you get it for next to nothing and you have plans on doing a V-8 engine swap.

Also, that's way too much for a 4-cylinder. That's an OK price for one w/ the I6.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-22-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    I may know somebody who is selling an 2010 Jeep with a GM L8T 6.2 and its cammed/tuned with a 6L80 trans, and about 10K in diff work, and lifted very nice. In Nov when we were at the dunes he was keeping up with rzr's and Mavericks quite well. Thing is a beauty, but I'd change out the diff gears, way too steep for driving on the street. He was blasting up competition hill with absolutely zero effort.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I wouldn't get the 4 banger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSnake View Post
    I may know somebody who is selling an 2010 Jeep with a GM L8T 6.2 and its cammed/tuned with a 6L80 trans, and about 10K in diff work, and lifted very nice. In Nov when we were at the dunes he was keeping up with rzr's and Mavericks quite well. Thing is a beauty, but I'd change out the diff gears, way too steep for driving on the street. He was blasting up competition hill with absolutely zero effort.
    This sounds like just the thing for the OP's daily driver duty!

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    This sounds like just the thing for the OP's daily driver duty!
    I’d drive it for a daily, just with different gears

vCash
    As everyone else has said..no 4cyl. On the 6cyl, if it's going to be an auto and you are going to daily it, make sure it's an '03-'06 (4 seed auto versus the old 3 speed). I have a low mileage (49k) '04 Rubicon (m5) that I am about to sell and it's been a great vehicle and a lot of fun (my kids love it too!). It's tough to beat a TJ!

vCash
    A four banger manual is Ok,(ask me how I know), but one with an auto would really be no fun.

If you’ve got the time.... Jack Daniels's Avatar

vCash
    Do not get the 4 cylinder.

vCash
    Also consider the resale value/hassle of trying to sell a 4-cylinder. Just take this very thread for instance. Imagine if you were the seller and someone was asking their buddies about buying it from you.

vCash
    Thanks for all the info guys. Carfax on it didn't come back so great so we moved on. Hoping for a good inline six 5-speed. So the search goes on. Again thanks for the advice.

Any reason so many of these seem to have salvaged titles?
    Last edited by midnite; 04-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. Carfax on it didn't come back so great so we moved on. Hoping for a good inline six 5-speed. So the search goes on. Again thanks for the advice.

Any reason so many of these seem to have salvaged titles?
    Flooded by Harvey?

vCash
    The VIN follows the tub of the Jeep, so if the frame was swapped out from rust or damage over the years, it could lead to a salvaged title.