Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Cylinder head re-surfacing

  1. #1
    Patronist esandes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,038
    vCash
    746

    Cylinder head re-surfacing

    There's a lot of opinion on re-surfacing aluminum cylinder heads when removing the head for re-building (valve job or cam swaps). It's a 50/50 mix of folks who say you need to and you don't need to.

    The most convincing arguement I heard was from a professional drag car builder pushing 1000+ HP engines who said he never does. It seems like the machine shops and crooked mechanics suggest re-surfacing every single time the head is pulled.

    I'm not talking about overheating or blown head gaskets.

  2. #2
    This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    8,794
    vCash
    1705
    Discuss





















































































































































































































































    discuss

  3. #3
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    22,077
    vCash
    800
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    I wouldnt do it unless it needed to be done

  4. #4
    Registered Member easttexasws6's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    9,720
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    I'm not talking about overheating or blown head gaskets.
    Then what are you talking about?

    Discuss!

  5. #5
    Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Shitcago
    Posts
    45,191
    vCash
    2625
    OP, stop pooping out of your mouth, it's not natural.

  6. #6
    Registered Member mogs01gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    26,535
    vCash
    409
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    There's a lot of opinion on re-surfacing aluminum cylinder heads when removing the head for re-building (valve job or cam swaps). It's a 50/50 mix of folks who say you need to and you don't need to.
    The most convincing arguement I heard was from a professional drag car builder pushing 1000+ HP engines who said he never does. It seems like the machine shops and crooked mechanics suggest re-surfacing every single time the head is pulled.
    I'm not talking about overheating or blown head gaskets.
    Re-surfacing should only occur if the head is damage/warped or if you are attempting to increase compression.

  7. #7
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34,415
    vCash
    25
    I have all of mine resurfaced at an angle so that some cylinders have more compression than others.

  8. #8
    Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Shitcago
    Posts
    45,191
    vCash
    2625
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I have all of mine resurfaced at an angle so that some cylinders have more compression than others.
    Variable compression is becoming popular with professional drag car builders pushing 1000+ HP engines

  9. #9
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,467
    vCash
    5075
    Who ever tries to resurface a flat head? You always verify it's flat, but you don't have to cut it unless it's off. How is this a question?

  10. #10
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    104,705
    vCash
    11525
    I typically have mine resurfaced after every oil change

  11. #11
    Make it three yards... redy2kss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    vCash
    400
    Resurfacing the head also aids in those pesky 3,000 mile plug changes!

  12. #12
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34,415
    vCash
    25
    I also resurface my spark plugs when I do the heads.

  13. #13
    Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Shitcago
    Posts
    45,191
    vCash
    2625
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I also resurface my spark plugs when I do the heads.
    The part that goes in your butt or the other end?

  14. #14
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34,415
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr WeatherBoner View Post
    The part that goes in your butt or the other end?
    Both ends.

  15. #15
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    84,775
    vCash
    25
    Who resurfaces cylinder heads? I've got a stack of them in my storage unit. New pair with every oil change.

  16. #16
    #ItsMikeD Lucius Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    57,904
    vCash
    208
    I only run titanium heads so I'm not sure what the typical maintenance is on aluminum heads.

  17. #17
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    104,705
    vCash
    11525
    if you don't change out your transmission fluid every 3k miles you are a moran

  18. #18
    Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sussex, WI
    Posts
    31,888
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    7170
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    if you don't change out your transmission fluid every 3k miles you are a moran
    With synthetic you can go for about 5k miles but you never want to exceed 3k RPM while running it since it might heat up too much and blow the manifolds.

  19. #19
    No ragrets Tristan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    84,775
    vCash
    25

  20. #20
    Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Shitcago
    Posts
    45,191
    vCash
    2625
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Both ends.
    Last edited by Dr WeatherBoner; 04-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  21. #21
    #ItsMikeD Lucius Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    57,904
    vCash
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I still remember my buddy's transmission in his late 90s F-150 taking a shit leaving the parking lot after seeing that movie

  22. #22
    Into the abyss EABiker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    10,062
    vCash
    500
    I always do my own, but you have to remember to just remove a little material at a time:






  23. #23
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,467
    vCash
    5075
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Who resurfaces cylinder heads? I've got a stack of them in my storage unit. New pair with every oil change.


    #FordLyfe

  24. #24
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    86,069
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    900
    I switched to carbon fiber heads.

  25. #25
    Make it three yards... redy2kss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    vCash
    400
    OP must be off thinking of another subject to shitpost about.

  26. #26
    Team Hobbit windham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    86,069
    Blog Entries
    2
    vCash
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by redy2kss View Post
    OP must be off thinking of another subject to shitpost about.
    He is contacting Lunati to see about getting a 3/4 race cam position sensor for a 78 El Camino Red Line.

  27. #27
    the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Yukon, OK
    Posts
    3,317
    vCash
    6286
    I installed cross drilled and slotted heads and haven't looked back.

  28. #28
    Into the abyss EABiker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    10,062
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    I installed cross drilled and slotted heads and haven't looked back.
    Camel hump?

  29. #29
    Patronist esandes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,038
    vCash
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Re-surfacing should only occur if the head is damage/warped or if you are attempting to increase compression.
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    I wouldnt do it unless it needed to be done
    Thanks guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •