Thread: C8 to be revealed 7-18, confirmed mid engine only...

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash

C8 to be revealed 7-18, confirmed mid engine only...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...onfirmed-2020/

It's officially official: the next-generation 2020 Chevrolet Corvette will make the switch to a mid-engined layout.Like*the many spy shots*we've seen of the car, these photos shows a prototype of the new Corvette C8 with camouflage—but this time, it's coming directly from General Motors.The new Corvette C8*makes its debut July 18, 2019, and will go on sale by the end of the year.

At long last, General Motors is admitting that*the Corvette*will reach another generation and has confirmed that the car—yes, the real, bona fide 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8—will make its official debut July 18. We've spilled plenty of ink (and pixels) about the upcoming C8 for the past five years (not to mention our relentless and breathless coverage of the idea of a mid-engined Corvette spanning several decades), and now Chevrolet is finally ready to talk about it as well.

While spy photos showing the C8's low-slung silhouette and vastly different proportions have circulated on the internet for years now, what you're looking at are the first real photos of the car that Chevrolet has supplied—and the first time the company has even acknowledged the existence of what might be the auto industry's worst-kept secret. GM CEO Mary Barra is making the announcement at the Siller Foundation charity gala in New York, and she was lucky enough to get a ride in the Corvette, driven by Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

While Chevrolet is keeping mum on any specifications for the next few months, we know plenty about the C8's powertrains and have even seen*glimpses of its interiorthanks to our intrepid spy photographers.

Chevrolet

This first Corvette C8 model we will see in July is the base Corvette Stingray, which will kick off the lineup. Initially, the C8 will use an upgraded version of the current car's pushrod 6.2-liter V-8, which we suspect will be upgraded to produce somewhere around 500 horsepower. The engine will also be renamed LT2 to reflect its new location in the car.*A dual-clutch seven-speed automatic gearbox supplied from Tremec*is slated to be the only transmission choice—unfortunate news for #savethemanuals diehards like us.

Multiple high-performance variants are set to follow in quick succession, including Z06, ZR1, and a range-topping hybrid that may use the Zora name. The current thinking is that the Z06 will have a a DOHC 5.5-liter V-8 with a flat-plane crankshaft, while the ZR1 will add twin turbochargers to that engine, and the Zora will get the twin-turbo V-8*andan electric motor in the front axle to cement its place as the most powerful C0rvette, with a combined power rating that could approach 1000 horsepower.

We hear Chevrolet will hold the line on pricing for the 2020 Corvette, despite its monumental philosophical shift and abundance of new technology. Expect the new Corvette to cost around $62,000 to start, an increase of around $5000 compared to the C7 Stingray's starting price of $56,995. There's no official on-sale date yet, but given that Chevrolet is already rolling out*a "Next-Generation Corvette" page*on its consumer website, we feel certain that the order books will open by the end of 2019 at the latest.
    Last edited by Tunavelli; 04-12-2019 at 04:50 PM.

vCash
    Not surprising. The idea that they'd have a front engine version and a mid engined version was nuts. May as well call them two completely different car models at that point.

Looks like it also will use an 8 speed DCT, which I think is the way to go for a high hp car that you want to do more than just drive in a straight line.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Not surprising. The idea that they'd have a front engine version and a mid engined version was nuts. May as well call them two completely different car models at that point.

Looks like it also will use an 8 speed DCT, which I think is the way to go for a high hp car that you want to do more than just drive in a straight line.
    Yea I'm not sure why anyone thought that to begin with. It would have to be incredibly expensive for them to develop two entirely new, low volume cars at the exact same time with such a huge difference, made 0 sense.

And to clarify since I just realized that article makes no mention of it, the last ever front engine corvette, which will be a Z, will be auctioned off in June

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...vette-auction/

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I am going to have to practice/get use to saying "damn...that is a good looking Vette".

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    And just like that, old men flood craigslist with C7s.

vCash
    Yea, C7's are about to get a lot cheaper.

And with the C8, I'm sure there will be those who will say the C7 was the last true Corvette. Happens after every new generation comes out.

vCash
    Mixed feelings as this pushes the C8 well into the 60s.

vCash
    I welcome the change. The Corvette hasn't had (what I would call) a true revolutionary change in a very long time.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostFamous View Post
    Mixed feelings as this pushes the C8 well into the 60s.
    The C7 was right there anyway. What's another $5k?

vCash
    Yea, if $5k is going to keep you from getting a Corvette, you may not need to be getting a Corvette in the first place.

vCash
    I'm in. After about three model years that is

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Yea, if $5k is going to keep you from getting a Corvette, you may not need to be getting a Corvette in the first place.

C7 just had a $1500 price increase so I think they're trying to bridge the price gap a little before it's launched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    The C7 was right there anyway. What's another $5k?
    MSRP for a base C7 is $55,000. A base C8 is going to be almost $15k more. I’m simply saying the days of a brand new Corvette for $46-48k are over.

vCash
    MSRP for a base C7 is $55,000. A base C8 is going to be almost $15k more. I’m simply saying the days of a brand new Corvette for $46-48k are over.
    I would expect so. Think of how many vehicles are out now that are over $48k. Corvette should be no different. It is an unnecessary and excessive toy.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-12-2019 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Base price of a 1LT Stingray is $56,995. Add in the A8 and that price goes up $1,995. Pricing for the C8 has not been announced so you, me and everyone else not high up in GM have no fucking clue what the base MSRP will be.

With no manual offered and everything else involved, of course the car will be more expensive but none of us peons know if it's going to cost $15k more.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 04-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Pricing for the C8 has not been announced so you, me and everyone else not high up in GM have no fucking clue what the base MSRP will be.
    Of course I’m speculating like everyone else. From the details that have been released, I don’t see how this vehicle doesn’t start in the $67-69k range.

Big Red

vCash
    I will reserve judgement until the car is revealed regarding specs, styling etc since the speculation is just out of hand for the most part. I'm sure it will outperform a C7 GS without much trouble and will move the platform as a whole to upper tier performance (supercar/exotic). As far as replacing my C7Z, I will be holding off for the upper trims and want to make sure they work out some of the bugs. I just need to decide if I dump the car to avoid heavy depreciation or try to nab someone who cares about front engine nostalgia. No one ever seems to get a fresh design right out of the box and I don't want to be a guinea pig.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    Can't wait for the 2019 ZR1's to be selling at under 50% of original price in a couple of years, may have to pick one up.

vCash
    Waiting for the “RIP Corvette 1953-2019” lines from old pissed off corvette owners.

Please go jeffrey Dr WeatherBoner's Avatar

vCash
    fitz?

vCash

The rumor for a long time was that Corvette was going to be separated from Chevy and made into a sub brand with 2-4 models.
    https://www.automobilemag.com/news/w...ors-sub-brand/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: vLEG10Nv
    Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    The rumor for a long time was that Corvette was going to be separated from Chevy and made into a sub brand with 2-4 models.
    https://www.automobilemag.com/news/w...ors-sub-brand/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    i'm glad they didn't go that route.

vCash
    And just like that, Jorts and white New Balance shoe sales declined.

Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

vCash
    First they take away the pop up headlights and then the round tail lights and finally they have come for the front engine.

vCash
    I know the article said that there will be a hybrid version with electric motors attached to the front wheels, but they may as well release a regular gas AWD version as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
    Waiting for the “RIP Corvette 1953-2019” lines from old pissed off corvette owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr WeatherBoner View Post
    fitz?
    Speedfreak

We are half a decade into the C7 and he still whines about how ugly it is. He is going to do nothing but bitch.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    First they take away the pop up headlights and then the round tail lights and finally they have come for the front engine.

vCash
    I think it look great. I want one.

vCash
    all the 58 year olds who can't afford a ferrari will love the bootleg version.

vCash
    I know the article said that there will be a hybrid version with electric motors attached to the front wheels, but they may as well release a regular gas AWD version as well.
    so they're pulling a NSX?

aka change everything about the original car that made it great and then nobody gives a shit about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ill deuce View Post
    White with a Tan interior and an automatic transmission has always been the default choice for the geriatric Corvette owner set.

vCash
    Im not gonna lie. This, to me, is the first "affordable" car that actually looks like an Italian sports car. (Other than maybe the NSX, or Audi R8)

To your average person, this will look like a Ferrari or Lambo going down the road.

I hope to have one within 3 years

vCash
    That camo does a great job protecting the lines. I'll reserve final judgement until we see the real pics, but I will say it seems very high lined/bulky for a mid engine car. I wonder if the C4 roof line is actually lower than it. When the used models hit the 40's, I'd buy one (but I'm not wearing jorts and New Balance!)

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    It’s a little different packaging 2 electric motors up front vs a traditional drivetrain.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    so when will pics get leaked?
    they always get leaked early...why doe GM even mention a date they will officially release pics?

vCash
    In 13 years I'll be 55 and ready to buy another 10 year old Corvette.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    they always get leaked early...why doe GM even mention a date they will officially release pics?

I'm sure someone will get ahold of the C&D or Motor Trend early and leak the pics. As for GM, I don't think this is just the date they release pics. This is the date of their big press showing and unveiling of the actual car live.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 04-16-2019 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    I don’t think the C7 got leaked until hours before the unveiling. I think it was a Motor Trend article.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
    I don’t think the C7 got leaked until hours before the unveiling. I think it was a Motor Trend article.
    This. However, due to all the accurate renderings out there, we knew how the C7 looked for a while before that anyway. With the work people have already done on the C8 renders, I don't think there's really much surprise left in the looks for it either.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Looks good to me.

Not digging the 7spd auto as the only trans option, tho.

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    Can't wait for the 2019 ZR1's to be selling at under 50% of original price in a couple of years, may have to pick one up.
    I bought a 10-year old 2008 'Vette, convertible last summer. Cost $63 k in 2008, I bought it with 80 k miles for $20k- about the same bang for the buck as when I bought my 2001 Z28 with the LS1 in 2006 (and joined this list, sorry!)

Quote Originally Posted by ill deuce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
    In 13 years I'll be 55 and ready to buy another 10 year old Corvette.
    I was 63 when I finally took the plunge. Even 10 years old, stupid fast- 3200 lb car with 435 HP from the factory. Sorry, mine was murdered out, no tan and white- black top, black wheels, black interior, illegal tint. All I wanted was an LS3 Z51 convertible, had a dealer friend sniping the dealer auctions. It's a driver, most 'Vette owners try to keep them under, say, 7k miles. Apparently saving them for the next owner. I intend to drive the wheels off, my Camaro now has 175,000 miles. Still runs strong, but not as strong as this.

edit: I asked my dealer buddy if the car came with the obligatory turtleneck shirt, (it didn't) and how long after I bought a Corvette before I became an asshole.
    His answer was "almost immediately"
    Last edited by Wild Willy; 04-17-2019 at 07:25 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    I bought a 10-year old 2008 'Vette, convertible last summer. Cost $63 k in 2008, I bought it with 80 k miles for $20k- about the same bang for the buck as when I bought my 2001 Z28 with the LS1 in 2006 (and joined this list, sorry!)

I was 63 when I finally took the plunge. Even 10 years old, stupid fast- 3200 lb car with 435 HP from the factory. Sorry, mine was murdered out, no tan and white- black top, black wheels, black interior, illegal tint. All I wanted was an LS3 Z51 convertible, had a dealer friend sniping the dealer auctions. It's a driver, most 'Vette owners try to keep them under, say, 7k miles. Apparently saving them for the next owner. I intend to drive the wheels off, my Camaro now has 175,000 miles. Still runs strong, but not as strong as this.

edit: I asked my dealer buddy if the car came with the obligatory turtleneck shirt, (it didn't) and how long after I bought a Corvette before I became an asshole.
    His answer was "almost immediately"
    It's funny how Corvette buyers/owners have this stigma of being an asshole. In my experience, they've been some of the most down to earth and easy to deal with customers. It's buyers of all of the other cars/trucks that tend to be aholes.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Rumor mill states that GM is going to just push the engine back with each generation. The C8 is mid engine, the C9 will be rear engine, and they already have a C10 prototype...

If you’ve got the time.... Jack Daniels's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    God, I hope you're right. I'd love to have a GS or ZR1.