Thread: Front end components

Blog Entries
    vCash

Front end components

So the 68 is going in the shop this week. What frontend components would expect to replace on a 51 year old car that hasn't been driven in nearly 28 years?

(I did a full front end rebuild in 1991.

vCash
    anything that isn't metal

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    anything that isn't metal
    Makes sense and was kind of what I was anticipating.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Finally an appointment date. Car goes in Monday morning.

Mechanical work only, but it should be able to pass an inspection and be driven by the end of next week.
    Last edited by windham; 04-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Watch out for Asians on the way home...

Registered Member

vCash
    If you rebuilt it in 91 and it hasn't been driven in 28 years, then why would anything need replacing? I could maybe see some grease being added. After the rebuild, how many miles were put on it?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    If you rebuilt it in 91 and it hasn't been driven in 28 years, then why would anything need replacing? I could maybe see some grease being added. After the rebuild, how many miles were put on it?
    I rebuilt the front end when I bought it which was 1991. The car was parked a year later in 1992. It was the daily driver for a high school kid so maybe 2 or 3 thousand miles at most on the front end components?

Also it has been the garaged the entire time.

Registered Member

vCash
    I really doubt that it would need anything but a good going over. You might notice the springs/shocks have dropped/sagged some due to time. But steering components should be fine.

Only real way to know is driving it, which sounds like that could be real soon!!!!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    I really doubt that it would need anything but a good going over. You might notice the springs/shocks have dropped/sagged some due to time. But steering components should be fine.

Only real way to know is driving it, which sounds like that could be real soon!!!!
    I am having the front coils and shocks replaced, most likely the rear leafs too.

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    My mechanic would just tell you to jack up the radiator cap, and slide a new car under it...

I'd push fresh grease through everything and drive it a bit. Check for slop, play, noises. Probably won't need very much, as long as the rubber bushing haven't oxidized too much. There are plenty of 50 year old cars still being driven around.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    My mechanic would just tell you to jack up the radiator cap, and slide a new car under it...

I'd push fresh grease through everything and drive it a bit. Check for slop, play, noises. Probably won't need very much, as long as the rubber bushing haven't oxidized too much. There are plenty of 50 year old cars still being driven around.
    That would be the easier choice I guess, but new cars bore me. I guarantee you that I will have a bigger smile on my face driving this heap than I do when I drive my 2013 5.0. The Mustang is everything the 68 isn't rust free, nice interior, cold a/c, relatively fast, everything works... I just love old cars. Seriously, if you gave me the option of a brand new F150 vs. a mint condition 69 F100 I take the 69 every day.

That isn't to say I don't appreciate new cars and new tech. I mean it is amazing to think that I could go tomorrow to a Ford dealer, spend less than 30 grand and get a 2wd reg cab shortbed 1/2 ton with over 400 horsepower backed by a 10 speed trans. I would smoke probably 95% of the muscle cars of the 60s with cold air blowing in my face. Or spend 40 grand with that dealer up north and have a brand new Mustang GT with 700 horsepower. To get my 68 to that level of comfort, handling, looks, power... that will cost me twice what just buying it new would.

But what really excites is having a classic that no one else has because of all the little things you do to make it yours, like I have a toggle switch that was used in a T38 that is mounted in the car. I actually forget why my brother wired it in there for me but I will find out again next week.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    So I just ordered a 2nd set of wheels. I bought a set from Rick's First Gen and put them on the car. When it went in the shop today (finally) and it rolled really funny. The shop owner pointed it out, the wheels don't actually fit the car. I ordered Camaro wheels from a company that is based on Camaros and they don't fit.

So I did what I should have done in the beginning and just went to Discount.

I am not getting anything fancy but I think the wheels will look good on the car.

These wheels

Registered Member

vCash
    What do you think is the issue with the other wheels?

Ohh, and great choice on the new ones, I don't think you can go wrong with those or they will ever be out of style.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1STLS1 View Post
    What do you think is the issue with the other wheels?

Ohh, and great choice on the new ones, I don't think you can go wrong with those or they will ever be out of style.
    The center of the wheels is too big. It won't get snug on the hub and even with the lug nuts torqued down the wheel isn't centered so as it rolls it is making like an egg shape, not a nice circle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    So I just ordered a 2nd set of wheels. I bought a set from Rick's First Gen and put them on the car. When it went in the shop today (finally) and it rolled really funny. The shop owner pointed it out, the wheels don't actually fit the car. I ordered Camaro wheels from a company that is based on Camaros and they don't fit.

So I did what I should have done in the beginning and just went to Discount.

I am not getting anything fancy but I think the wheels will look good on the car.

These wheels

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    The center of the wheels is too big. It won't get snug on the hub and even with the lug nuts torqued down the wheel isn't centered so as it rolls it is making like an egg shape, not a nice circle.
    Which wheels are they? A lot of old school wheels don't have a perfectly round center hole. My SS wheels for example. They're direct repros of the originals and they have this issue but that's the way they were back in the day. It's why my wheels have to be balanced using a lug centric balancer instead of hub centric.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 04-21-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Which wheels are they? A lot of old school wheels don't have a perfectly round center hole. My SS wheels for example. They're direct repros of the originals and they have this issue but that's the way they were back in the day. It's why my wheels have to be balanced using a lug centric balancer instead of hub centric.
    Rally wheels from Rick's First Gen

https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...-x-7-1969.html

vCash
    Hub rings my friend!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post
    Hub rings my friend!

I am going to try this and see if it corrects the issue.

vCash
    You need your hub diameter dimensions. You need your wheel hub port dimension. You may get lucky to find those specific sizes on eBay. Otherwise go to a wheel shop or straight to a machinist and have them made.

They come in plastic or aluminum. Both work completely fine.

Once installed they will completely correct the issue.

30 bucks for pre-made and maybe 50 for custom rings. Too easy brotha!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yep. It's normal if they're exact copies of the original wheels.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    So ummm I had to replace the ENTIRE fuel system.

Everything from the carb on the motor to the tank was garbage. I already had a new carb and manifold, but I thought the tank could be cleaned. My mechanic is very straightforward though. He called me over and was like, "So this is what we have to work with .." (insert view of something that looked like a colonoscopy on an 80 year old) "or we can just put a new tank on there."

So I went with new tank and new lines. I also decided to upgrade to an HEI distributor. This adds up in a hurry.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

So ummm I had to replace the ENTIRE fuel system.

Everything from the carb on the motor to the tank was garbage. I already had a new carb and manifold, but I thought the tank could be cleaned. My mechanic is very straightforward though. He called me over and was like, "So this is what we have to work with .." (insert view of something that looked like a colonoscopy on an 80 year old) "or we can just put a new tank on there."

So I went with new tank and new lines. I also decided to upgrade to an HEI distributor. This adds up in a hurry.
    Good choice. You don't wanna take a chance with a corroded tank, especially since they're not that expensive to replace.

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    Good choice. You don't wanna take a chance with a corroded tank, especially since they're not that expensive to replace.
    This

and hopefully hes replacing the fuel line with new hard line

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    This

and hopefully hes replacing the fuel line with new hard line
    I didn't think to ask, but he did say he is doing new fuel lines.