Thread: Tacoma’s

vCash

Tacoma’s

Anyone have a Tacoma? I test drove a 2019 TRD off road, crew cab short bed. It wasn’t terrible. My biggest concern is going from a full size crew cab to the mid size truck. It’s definitely a no frills vehicle. I’m also looking at new/newer GMCs. I want more luxury items but ultimately I use my vehicles for too much “truck” stuff. I constantly have the dogs in and out, Mt biking, hiking etc. they get dirty. I “think” the Tacoma would be a good lifestyle fit but I’m not sure I’m sold yet.

I know they hold their value well and are reliable. The better gas mileage and size would make it more practical for city trips.

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Is the Mpg really that much better than a full size?

I get the appeal of the size, but they've never struck me as cost effective, especially given the discounts offered on ull size trucks.

Also, I've never thought any gen Taco rode worth a shit.

vCash
    The Tacoma's I've been in have ridden just fine.

Edit: but I do DD an 18 year old Jeep and a 17 year old FBody.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 02-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Is the Mpg really that much better than a full size?

I get the appeal of the size, but they've never struck me as cost effective, especially given the discounts offered on ull size trucks.

Also, I've never thought any gen Taco rode worth a shit.
    I’m coming from a leveled full size on 35s

I did find the seating position a bit odd and it did seem to be searching for gears which is a common complaint.

vCash
    My buddy has a 2017 Taco which I've driven and it's ok. I feel like Toyota's interiors really haven't changed in 20 years, which bugs me for how much they cost. It rides ok, and has enough power for regular driving, but I don't think the seats are all that comfortable. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for towing anything either. It does well in the snow though and is reliable. And like you said, they hold their value quite well. It's actually pretty ridiculous how much people get for used ones out here in CO. It almost is like a cult following.
    Last edited by thaar; 02-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Did you drive it on the interstate at all? That motor is a gutless piece of shit. Constantly searching for gears on the slightest incline. I bought a brand new 17 TRD Off-road 4x4 Taco and traded it towards a new 16 F150 EB crew cab FX4 before I even had to fill up the gas tank. Seating position is terrible and it managed to fuck my back up by digging into my sciatic nerve which I still have a decent amount of pain and discomfort from 2 years later. MPG would be a little better than a full-size lifted on 35's, bit if you lift it or put bigger tires on it expect it to get as worse or worse mpg than you're full size.

All that said they are easier to manuever in a downtown setting and hold their value like a motherfucker.

vCash
    MotorTrend just did a 4 way comparo of a Taco, Ridgeline, Colorado and Ranger, and the Taco was dead last. Poor seating, gutless engine, bad ride were the primary complaints. Colorado won.
    Last edited by NHRATA01; 02-07-2019 at 10:01 PM.

vCash
    This thread has been informative. I had no idea people felt so strongly against a Tacoma. Most interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda6pak View Post
    Did you drive it on the interstate at all? That motor is a gutless piece of shit. Constantly searching for gears on the slightest incline. I bought a brand new 17 TRD Off-road 4x4 Taco and traded it towards a new 16 F150 EB crew cab FX4 before I even had to fill up the gas tank. Seating position is terrible and it managed to fuck my back up by digging into my sciatic nerve which I still have a decent amount of pain and discomfort from 2 years later. MPG would be a little better than a full-size lifted on 35's, bit if you lift it or put bigger tires on it expect it to get as worse or worse mpg than you're full size.

All that said they are easier to manuever in a downtown setting and hold their value like a motherfucker.
    No, just around downtown Denver, which it seemed fine for. It was a manual too, so that could have helped.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    No, they have no torque. It's a Camry engine with all the horsepower and torque way up high in the room range. I can't imagine driving that garbage NA motor at a mile high.
    Last edited by cuda6pak; 02-08-2019 at 12:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    MotorTrend just did a 4 way comparo of a Taco, Ridgeline, Colorado and Ranger, and the Taco was dead last. Poor seating, gutless engine, bad ride were the primary complaints. Colorado won.
    I also need to drive a colorado. I'm not sold on the mid size truck yet.

I noticed it seemed underpowered and on the interstate seemed to be hunting for what gear it wanted to be in. The seating position wasn't terrible but I can see the complaints about lack of adjustment. Like I said originally definitely a no frills vehicle. It seems to be much like the wranglers, either people love them or hate them.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    This thread has been informative. I had no idea people felt so strongly against a Tacoma. Most interesting.
    I am pretty against Toyota for anything but utilitarian last forever transportation. I have a 4runner that I drive every day, but like others have said, similar to the Taco, it isn't that comfortable, the electronics are like 4 generations behind most other modern vehicles, and its gutless. I really liked it when I got it, just have grown to not like it. I mean its nice when I missed the turn off for a parking lot and wife said just drive up that bank to get to the parking lot, but yeah. I think I want a little more comfort now that I am older.

Though I will admit it is nice to not really worry about the reliability of a vehicle.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Quote Originally Posted by steves97z28 View Post
    I also need to drive a colorado. I'm not sold on the mid size truck yet.

I noticed it seemed underpowered and on the interstate seemed to be hunting for what gear it wanted to be in. The seating position wasn't terrible but I can see the complaints about lack of adjustment. Like I said originally definitely a no frills vehicle. It seems to be much like the wranglers, either people love them or hate them.
    I can't see you liking a Taco over a Colorado. If you are going in with an open mind I would think the Colorado would win every time.

The Taco wins on durability though.....and probably by a little resale. But its not like if you went with a F150 or Silverado that they have terrible resale.

vCash
    Here I dug up the link, take a look see:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ma-comparison/

vCash
    Colorado does seem to have some decent lease deals now if you can deal with 10-12k miles/yr. I was looking at ~$320/mo for an LT crew cab V6 with I think 2k down for a 39 month lease, since I was considering getting one for a winter vehicle.

vCash
    Reliable
    Resale.
    Size

That's all a Tacoma has ever had going for it.

vCash
    The tacoma is any other mediocre mid size truck that's riding the coattails of toyota reliability (reliability that isnt a standout anymore).

The engineering on the tacoma is years behind the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    The tacoma is any other mediocre mid size truck that's riding the coattails of toyota reliability (reliability that isnt a standout anymore).

The engineering on the tacoma is years behind the competition.
    Agreed.
    It's not that it got worse, everyone else just got better.

Same as the reputation Honda built in the 80s with quads, and bikes.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 02-08-2019 at 02:13 AM.

time for your annual... Dr. Lexus's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    They look great and have an endless aftermarket. Ground-clearance...etc. I like the looks and it seems like more of a Tonka-truck than the Colorado.

But yeah. Even used are expensive and a very dated platform.

My frontier gets 17.5 mpg mixed. So, I wouldn't use gas mileage as a deciding factor.

vCash
    Frontier? Lol. Anything would be a huge upgrade over one of those.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Frontier? Lol. Anything would be a huge upgrade over one of those.
    Here we go...

A full size was too long for me to park where I had to.
    Similar year/mileage Colorado didn't have a backup camera.
    Similar year/mileage taco cost 8k more.
    Similar cost taco was several years older, 100k miles and had a tiny backup camera in the rear view mirror.

I bought a dirt cheap scratch and dent version because it was going to sit outside, and I knew it was only a matter of time until my wife hit something with it...she has...my kids destroyed the inside....they have...and before I ducked my shoulder up too bad to drive a stick I was just using it to haul trash and yard debris.

I intentionally bought a truck I wouldn't really care about.
    Last edited by Dr. Lexus; 02-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.

vCash
    I've been in a couple of the new colorados and I really like them. Interior room was surprisingly spacious but I'm coming from a 97 Silverado so take that for what it's worth.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TTU98SS
    It’s really shitty because we own a Toyota store, Tacoma’s lease amazing, and I like the idea of having a mid size truck and then a fun car.

However they are slow as shit, boring interior, I could go on and on.

I can tell you they hold their value better than just about anything on the market.... but I still won’t drive one

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: sigmanuwck
    I have a 2018 TRD Off-road 4x4 and have put 25,000 miles on it and just got to a year of ownership. I personally love it! I usually average 20-22 mpg in daily use. Can pull down 25 mpg on my commute if I keep my foot out of it. Radar cruise control is great and it does everything I need to do. I do a lot of bird hunting and usually have a couple of knuckle head bird dogs either in it with me or in the back. To me the seats are really comfortable and it has been flawless so far and I am far from easy on it. As far as gutless, it has 280ish HP and it does great on the highway so I’m not sure what all the complaints are about? I drove the Colorado beforehand and absolutely hated the ergos and interior on it. Just my two cents though. Pics of pups for posterity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4406F8B-B2AE-4E47-9DB8-30C8D93B120D.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	30878  

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda6pak View Post
    No, they have no torque. It's a Camry engine with all the horsepower and torque way up high in the room range. I can't imagine driving that garbage NA motor at a mile high.
    It bugs me more than it should that they use the same engine in the camry, sienna, lexus models, avalon, and tacoma.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    It bugs me more than it should that they use the same engine in the camry, sienna, lexus models, avalon, and tacoma.
    Eh GM does the same shit with the 3.6 going in everything.

vCash
    Just bought a new Colorado Z71 crew cab long bed for my wife to replace her 06; huge improvements over the years. The truck also seems much larger than her first gen. , but there is no comparison in ride and power.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Eh GM does the same shit with the 3.6 going in everything.
    The 3.6 actually has some balls though.

Registered Member TransAmDriver's Avatar

vCash
    Reliable
    Resale.
    Size

That's all a Tacoma has ever had going for it.
    Yep, they have a cult like following. Similar to jeep. I always hated how shallow their truck beds were.

vCash
    Do they still sell those easy to park, folding versions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    The 3.6 actually has some balls though.
    In a car, perhaps.

6,800 rpm is not what I want in a tow vehicle.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

In a car, perhaps.

6,800 rpm is not what I want in a tow vehicle.
    For max hp, sure. For towting, max torque comes at 4000 rpm. There's always the diesel if you need it down lower than that.

vCash
    For max hp, sure. For towting, max torque comes at 4000 rpm. There's always the diesel if you need it down lower than that.
    Of course!
    Always the $8400 option available, to tow an average sized Bass boat!
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 02-08-2019 at 09:12 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Of course!
    Always the $8400 option available, to tow an average sized Bass boat!
    It's not $8400.

vCash
    I wanted to get a mid size truck next time I was in the market but I am not seeing the point. The MPG isn't that much better, towing is not close to a full size and there is less room in a mid size. This is coming from a guy that said he never wanted a full size truck.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by shuck View Post
    I wanted to get a mid size truck next time I was in the market but I am not seeing the point. The MPG isn't that much better, towing is not close to a full size and there is less room in a mid size. This is coming from a guy that said he never wanted a full size truck.
    I would say this is my sentiment exactly having owned whatever it is size truck I have. The only benefit is that it's less of a pain in the ass to park.

Again, only reason I went smaller is that parking in my driveway - if I had a full-size, it would be a giant pain in the ass to get the mustang out of the garage.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hanz_Olo
    Came a c-hair away from getting a new taco. My friend who had one talked me out of it. He loves his, except the power is just not there. Just average driving, he has to get so high up in the rpm range that it’s gets just as bad mpg as his old full-size. Towing is even worse. I wanted it for reliability, but they are pretty boring and are riding their name hardcore, not changing much, and requesting a premium price.

I would take a hard look at the new ranger that is coming out. I actually like the look better than the Colorado and canyon.

vCash
    Corrado with 5.3,and 10spd would get my attention and would get good mpg.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hanz_Olo
    Corrado with 5.3,and 10spd would get my attention and would get good mpg.
    Now that would be something. It will never happen though.

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Do they still sell those easy to park, folding versions?

I believe at some point they changed to a C channel design on the rear. Boxed frames like those aren't great in the rust belt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lexus View Post
    I would say this is my sentiment exactly having owned whatever it is size truck I have. The only benefit is that it's less of a pain in the ass to park.

Again, only reason I went smaller is that parking in my driveway - if I had a full-size, it would be a giant pain in the ass to get the mustang out of the garage.
    I can understand that, the option of having a physically smaller truck is appealing to some. I have drove a few newer trucks and they are beasts compared to my small truck. If mid size trucks got better mpg I might consider one but real world applications it seems as if they are only getting a few miles per gallon more than a full size.
    Last edited by shuck; 02-11-2019 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lexus View Post

I agree with this.

I was on vacation and got a rental Colorado. It was brand new, it had 8 miles, I was the first renter to drive it. Coming from a full size as my daily driver, I was interested in seeing how capable this truck was. It drove really well and was easy to park. But other than that, I noticed no other reason to get a smaller truck. The mileage was actually worse than my Sierra, it wasn't nearly as comfortable and it was much smaller inside, even cramped. I had to crane my neck so hard to get in, it is easier to get into my 4th gen than that truck for some reason. Anyway, there is no way I would get a mid size truck over a full size.

Banned

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    I agree with this.

I was on vacation and got a rental Colorado. It was brand new, it had 8 miles, I was the first renter to drive it. Coming from a full size as my daily driver, I was interested in seeing how capable this truck was. It drove really well and was easy to park. But other than that, I noticed no other reason to get a smaller truck. The mileage was actually worse than my Sierra, it wasn't nearly as comfortable and it was much smaller inside, even cramped. I had to crane my neck so hard to get in, it is easier to get into my 4th gen than that truck for some reason. Anyway, there is no way I would get a mid size truck over a full size.
    What is your height/weight?

Also A/S/L?

vCash
    3.5EB peak tq is at 2500.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmDriver View Post
    3.5EB peak tq is at 2500.
    Is that available in the Ranger? Because I thought this thread was about midsize trucks.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Locker537
    I have a 2012 Tacoma (double cab, TDR Off-Road) that I bought new in 2011 and it has been fantastic. I didn't want a full-size at the time due to inconvenience of parking around Boston and cost. My only complaints are the lack of a locking tailgate and since I use my truck as a truck, I've had to get creative hauling 16 ft long boards and sheet goods many times.

When I buy another truck, it will be one with a full size bed for those reasons, and I don't care as much about city parking anymore.
    Last edited by Locker537; 02-13-2019 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Is that available in the Ranger? Because I thought this thread was about midsize trucks.
    Ok.. so 2.3EB with peak tq around 3k and a 10 speed.

Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

vCash
    Tacoma's have had horrible reviews for years...
    Tundra is where it's at if you can get past the looks...I really like the TRD Pro...that new flat gray is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    Tacoma's have had horrible reviews for years...
    Tundra is where it's at if you can get past the looks...I really like the TRD Pro...that new flat gray is
    INB4 captain crabby pants.

I wish I’d have waited a few months for the TRD Pro for the suspension alone.
    Last edited by TransAmDriver; 02-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Registered Member Customer service's Avatar

vCash
    The third gen Taco is getting beat to hell on the Facebook groups. Transmission issues are still going on even after 3 ecu flashing TSBs. I got a Colorado

Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

vCash
    My father downsized from a 4dr Tundra to a 4dr Tacoma SR5 and he likes it although I cannot figure out why. The AT seems to be in slush mode and then switch to full on racing and back again all in a handful of seconds. The ride is rougher and does not have near the capacity of the Tundra it replaced. The fuel economy is only slightly better and is a dog compared the his previous truck (5.7 with a 4:30 gear). Unless you want a small off roader or frequently drive in a large urban area I do not see the appeal of these mid size trucks.