Thread: One of the greatest barn finds ever. 1969 Dick Harrell COPO 427 Camaro

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6

One of the greatest barn finds ever. 1969 Dick Harrell COPO 427 Camaro

Wow.

The guy that owns the car apparently doesn't know enough about it to pronounce Harrell correctly though.

I like to do the breaking in person LV2XLR8's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: That LSU Guy

vCash
    Damn... what a find. I can't imagine what that car is worth. Very cool.

Yea, the guy calling him Harreld was pretty annoying... especially since he's reading Harrell in numerous places throughout the car.

I liked this comment:
    Finally an owner who realizes that he won’t get around to restoring the car and actually sold it to someone who can preserve it
    And I agree. Very cool for the previous owner to realize and accept it.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Wow, it's actually in pretty incredible shape considering it's all original.
    Amazing find.

vCash
    Awesome

vCash
    no cruise control

dumb

vCash
    did he find a 7-Up vert? I don't think so.

vCash
    I can't imagine coming across something like that. What a great find.

And fuck that guy that can't pronounce Harrell correctly.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    That would be a high dollar restore to get it done right and remove all the cancer.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    That would be a high dollar restore to get it done right and remove all the cancer.
    What cancer? Did you not see the video? They said the car was in amazing shape.

vCash
    holy grail car!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    holy grail car!
    No cruise control, asshole.

vCash
    Shut up, fitz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz View Post

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    What cancer? Did you not see the video? They said the car was in amazing shape.
    I saw the video and I am familiar with the 1st gen foxbody. That car has rot around the back window, I assure you there is some in the quarters, probably some in the front fenders right in front if the doors near the rockers...

vCash
    I saw the video and I am familiar with the 1st gen foxbody. That car has rot around the back window, I assure you there is some in the quarters, probably some in the front fenders right in front if the doors near the rockers...
    Not a fox, bruh.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Just because your car is a rust bucket, doesn't mean they all are. Besides, the resto on that car is going to be expensive regardless of rust, just because of what the car is.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 07-13-2018 at 12:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    Not a fox, bruh.
    He was just saying he's familiar w/ both a 1st gen Camaro (since he owns one) and a 1st gen foxbody (b/c he's owned one of them too, IIRC) and is familiar w/ their areas of rust. Considering his location, I'd venture to defer to his assumption on this. (Depending on if the cars he's using as examples are originally from the south) If they rust in certain areas when being from the south, they'll rust in those sames areas just about anywhere.
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 07-13-2018 at 12:59 AM.

vCash
    My old boss owns a body shop... he bought a '64 Impala w/ a 409 4-speed. Beautiful car... all original. I went for a ride in it and I thought the car was solid. Nice interior, original paint looked decent for it being that old. A month or so later, I ask him what he's done w/ the car and it was torn down and on the rotisserie. They started restoring the car and found a ton of rust that just happens on those cars. They decided to tear the whole thing apart and fix the floor pans and quarter panels as they were covered in rust.

Not to say that the one in the OP suffered the same fate, but after seeing that car, I can understand windham's suspicion.

Last edited by DANSBIRD; 07-13-2018 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    He was just saying he's familiar w/ both a 1st gen Camaro (since he owns one) and a 1st gen foxbody (b/c he's owned one of them too, IIRC) and is familiar w/ their areas of rust. Considering his location, I'd venture to defer to his assumption on this. (Depending on if the cars he's using as examples are originally from the south) If they rust in certain areas when being from the south, they'll rust in those sames areas just about anywhere.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I typed fbody, stupid phone autocorrected.

Anyway GearSS did you watch the video and listen? If you watch you can see the rust around the lower driver's side corner of the rear glass. This is a common spot. If you listen you will hear the previous owner and the current owner call it crusty. If you think there isn't rust on that car you have never dealt with a 1st gen.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    My old boss owns a body shop... he bought a '64 Impala w/ a 409 4-speed. Beautiful car... all original. I went for a ride in it and I thought the car was solid. Nice interior, original paint looked decent for it being that old. A month or so later, I ask him what he's done w/ the car and it was torn down and on the rotisserie. They started restoring the car and found a ton of rust that just happens on those cars. They decided to tear the whole thing apart and fix the floor pans and quarter panels as they were covered in rust.

Not to say that the one in the OP suffered the same fate, but after seeing that car, I can understand windham's suspicion.

It's just a fact of life with those old cars. Maybe if you find a car built in the California plant, sold in So Cal, garages in So Cal, and only driven in perfect weather you can get one with no rust.

Remember the Bad Penny Camaro? When he bought that car he showed several pictures and it looked showroom new. Then he found rust in a lot of places.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    ok.

vCash
    What's the point in even restoring it? It's a museum piece that will most likely never see the light of day again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    What's the point in even restoring it? It's a museum piece that will most likely never see the light of day again.
    Agreed.

vCash

Anyway GearSS did you watch the video and listen? If you watch you can see the rust around the lower driver's side corner of the rear glass. This is a common spot. If you listen you will hear the previous owner and the current owner call it crusty. If you think there isn't rust on that car you have never dealt with a 1st gen.
    GOAT phone

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    I wouldnt "restore" it, but I'd damn sure get it going.

Nothing unique about completely rotted out exhaust.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

lol, you make it sound like it's a complete wreck. It's not. I've seen cars with much worse than this. Like anyone restoring that car cares what the resto is going to cost anyway. Like I said, the person that restores this car(if they do it at all) isn't going to do it like you. They're going to do a no-expenses spared, find the best shop available, get every NOS part that's needed resto. They ain't gonna let it sit in their garage for 15 years and replace one part every year on it.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 07-13-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    lol, you make it sound like it's a complete wreck. It's not. I've seen cars with much worse than this. Like anyone restoring that car cares what the resto is going to cost anyway. Like I said, the person that restores this car(if they do it at all) isn't going to do it like you. They're going to do a no-expenses spared, find the best shop available, get every NOS part that's needed resto. They ain't gonna let it sit in their garage for 15 years and replace one part every year on it.
    Where did I say it was a complete wreck or how anyone would restore it? Has Fitz stolen your account? I am waiting on you to call me Bunky.

Go back and look at what I actually said, "that would be a high dollar restore..." Then you try to insult me and then affirm what I said in my original post with your most recent comment.

Are you having an off day? Too hot up on the car lot? Sales numbers gotten you stressed?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Where did I say it was a complete wreck or how anyone would restore it? Has Fitz stolen your account? I am waiting on you to call me Bunky.

Go back and look at what I actually said, "that would be a high dollar restore..." Then you try to insult me and then affirm what I said in my original post with your most recent comment.

Are you having an off day? Too hot up on the car lot? Sales numbers gotten you stressed?
    I did read what you said. I did not insult you. If you felt insulted then get the sand out of your vagina and come back when your feelings aren't hurt. Now, get off of your step stool and come back down to earth, little man.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 07-13-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I did read what you said. I did not insult you. If you felt insulted then get the sand out of your vagina and come back when your feelings aren't hurt. Now, get off of your step stool and come back down to earth, little man.
    Wow the butthurt is strong with you today isn't it? Pull the cactus out of your ass and get over it.

Realtor at RE/MAX Welcome Home mrgto's Avatar

vCash
    Love people finding rare cars. I loved the story about the 63 Tempest on Ebay that turned out to be a real SD car. My father has found a few 427 Corvette's including one that turned out to be a 67 L88. He can thank me for that one.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Wow the butthurt is strong with you today isn't it? Pull the cactus out of your ass and get over it.
    Right back at ya, homey.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Love people finding rare cars. I loved the story about the 63 Tempest on Ebay that turned out to be a real SD car.
    Yeah, I remember when that happened. That was awesome.

vCash

In the OP's defense... he did create the thread, so anything less than absolute positive feedback towards the car is going to be unintentionally exaggerated and will be received as an assault on his character, so you have to expect a retaliation.

I did read what you said. I did not insult you.
    In windham's defense, he only said you tried to insult him, insinuating that he dodged a bullet and was not actually insulted. He's referring to when you said this: "did you not watch the video?" which could be viewed as an attempt to insult his intelligence since it was clear that he watched the video. Thankfully, you both agree that there was no insult.

I also never heard "amazing shape". I heard "overall, the car is in pretty incredible shape" and "decent shape" when referring to the underside of the car. The rusted out exhaust and some other areas make me think windham's suspicion isn't unreasonable. I also haven't seen anything to suggest windham looks at this car as a complete wreck. He was just pointing out an observation. All in all, I saw nothing to make me think windham's thoughts on this car conflict w/ those in the video and would imagine he agrees that this is an incredible find. He was just adding some content based on his own experience.

But, I do agree w/ you that the car is in amazing shape considering what it is and how fortunate enough to the automotive world that this car exists, especially in that condition, which I think is amazing in and of itself.

vCash
    Right back at ya, homey.
    Hey, assholes. Don't make me separate you two.

Registered Member

vCash

Boy does that interior bring back memories. I have a soft spot in my heart for 64 Impalas. It was the first car I owned that I could driver. Many great memories in that car. I always liked the floor mounted hi-Beam switch. And that row of idiot lights I still have the 4 SS wheel covers, they're just like the ones he has on that. I put them on my 1975 280Z and got a ton of compliments.
    Last edited by Hunter98TA; 07-13-2018 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

It's a good thing you're here to moderate, Dan. Well done.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 07-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.

vCash
    It's a good thing you're here to moderate, Dan. Well done.
    Get smart w/ me again and I will go over there and punch you IN THE FACE.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Get smart w/ me again and I will go over there and punch you IN THE FACE.
    Whoa! Easy bud. That was a jab at Windham. You know, the actual mod in this thread.

vCash
    Whoa! Easy bud. That was a jab at Windham. You know, the actual mod in this thread.
    Oh. Well, in that case, carry on.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    I agree. Clean it up and make able to drive on roads and leave the rest as it is.

There is something neat about a car that is left as it was in life. Even super rare ones. There are enough perfectly restored cars out there. That rotting hemi superbird out in a farmers field, awesome.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    I agree. Clean it up and make able to drive on roads and leave the rest as it is.

There is something neat about a car that is left as it was in life. Even super rare ones. There are enough perfectly restored cars out there. That rotting hemi superbird out in a farmers field, awesome.
    I agree. I like unrestored drivers just as much as over-restored cars. I'd be shocked if this one doesn't get restored though. It's just too rare and with it being a Dick Harrell car, it'll get an over the top resto.

vCash

Since you are acting like an ass I'll call you an ass. OBTW, there's only one Bunky and he lives in Fishkill

vCash
    boneheadz!!

Make it three yards... redy2kss's Avatar

vCash
    Just happy being me while all you keyboard cowboyz do is type!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Same car.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Nice that she is not a garage queen.

vCash
    Sounds healthy

vCash

Same car.
    12.0 on slicks, skinnies, and open exhaust.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Fuckin right
    Driving her like she was meant to be driven

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    12.0 on slicks, skinnies, and open exhaust.
    Wonder what the trap speed was.

Dope

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dope View Post
    Wonder what the trap speed was.

Dope