Thread: I apologize if this ha been covered here before, but it's the first time I've seen it

vCash

I apologize if this ha been covered here before, but it's the first time I've seen it

It's an opposed cylinder engine design that is both turbocharged and supercharged and it will run on either gasoline or diesel.

37mpgs on gas and 40mpgs+ on diesel?

Registered Member

vCash
    That is really cool, never seen anything like it before.

The biggest issue I see is the expense of production. If an automaker thought it was viable, I would have thought they would have pursued it, it is old technology

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1STLS1 View Post
    That is really cool, never seen anything like it before.

The biggest issue I see is the expense of production. If an automaker thought it was viable, I would have thought they would have pursued it, it is old technology
    Fairbanks Morse tried to beat the EMD/Winton (GM) diesel with it in the 1940s.

They lost, badly.

But they're pretty cool anyway:

Last edited by PacerX; 01-17-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Put that in truck instead.

vCash
    I'm no expert but in Locomotives, the OP engine didn't last long because of the higher maintenance costs, more moving parts, and there was some problem caused by the upper piston always getting hotter then the lower. When they had to change an upper piston, they had to remove a crankshaft first, where in a regular engine they just removed the head above that cylinder and took the rod/piston out.

Fairbanks Morse I believe is still around and their engines are used on ships and power generating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Negative View Post
    I'm no expert but in Locomotives, the OP engine didn't last long because of the higher maintenance costs, more moving parts, and there was some problem caused by the upper piston always getting hotter then the lower. When they had to change an upper piston, they had to remove a crankshaft first, where in a regular engine they just removed the head above that cylinder and took the rod/piston out.

Fairbanks Morse I believe is still around and their engines are used on ships and power generating.
    It think that pretty much sums it up.

Those things, along with EMD's economies of scale, put FM out of the train business.

FM Trainmasters were the Virginian's choice for big diesel power when they needed it, and Virginian was famous for going BIG with power.

EDIT: Looks like GE might be getting out of the train business too.
    Last edited by PacerX; 01-18-2018 at 02:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerX View Post

Now that's interesting. I thought they were pretty much the main player in the US?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Now that's interesting. I thought they were pretty much the main player in the US?
    They are.

Can't seem to make money at it, so looking at selling the division off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 87f383 View Post
    Two stroke diesel?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Roger Z06 Vette
    I've found pull start Diesel engines over seas but can't seem to find any here. Would love to put one on a mini bike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Z06 View Post
    I've found pull start Diesel engines over seas but can't seem to find any here. Would love to put one on a mini bike.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Roger Z06 Vette

vCash
    What I dont understand is how pre-ignition couldn't be a big issue in the gas version depending on what kind of terrible gas is available. I thought the idea of two tanks sounded really good. Neat stuff none-the-less. Always love to learn new tech.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Negative View Post
    Isnt higher maintenance costs always true when it comes to advancing internal combustion engines?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerX View Post
    It think that pretty much sums it up.

Those things, along with EMD's economies of scale, put FM out of the train business.

FM Trainmasters were the Virginian's choice for big diesel power when they needed it, and Virginian was famous for going BIG with power.

Some of the older / smaller offshore rigs I've worked over the years run EMD's, and it's amazing, I've seen EMD's that were built in the 60's that still run 24/7 they shut them down every so often for maintenance, but they pretty much run full time until they tear them down and do a top end at like 25,000 hours.
    The bigger rigs usually run Wartsilla's, but those EMD's are hard to beat, these days they are harder and harder to run being non-emissions.