Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered our LM7 and 4L60E for the Chevelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    Whats taking so long?

I put 5k miles on my truck in the last year
    I've hesitated working on it because he's a typical teenager (turns 18 soon) who wants to spend his time out with his friends a lot so there's less time to work on it together. Last night I decided to go ahead and work on it without him because it needs forward progress.

He's anxious to drive it but with spending time at his mother's and with his friends, as well as working, and doing his senior year of high school, there isn't much time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post

Pics meow plz
    Have to wait until I get home. Work is even blocking lstwo and imgur now.

vCash
    Post pics NOW, you son of a bitch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Post pics NOW, you son of a bitch!
    Your aggression is scaring me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Your aggression is scaring me.
    It should. I'm hardcore.

vCash
    This was after bolting the front end back on it. You can see how much better it sits with the new springs in the back.

For comparison, this was 10 years and 2 weeks ago.

vCash
    Remember, this was all using the Holley LS swap kit. https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Ground clearance with headers and 302-2 oil pan.

New fuel tank. (Pump and fuel level sending unit now installed.)

Installed passenger side header.

Bellhousing bolt to firewall clearance.

vCash
    Last night while I was working on the stock harness.

I have tons more pictures showing most everything so if you have something specific you want to see, feel free to ask.

vCash
    Hey Dan, can you make this car a nice dark red metallic, keeping the vinyl roof there?

Maybe one of these colors?

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    I know it’s a money thing, but I don’t regret for 1 second going with a stand alone harness from PSI

vCash
    I know it’s a money thing, but I don’t regret for 1 second going with a stand alone harness from PSI
    That may absolutely be an option in the future. Hell, I didn't want to fight the oil pan, mounts, fuel delivery, or cooling so I spent good money to make that stuff easier.

vCash
    I can't do much for adding metallic, but I can get in the ballpark of the red you're looking for.

#NoMoto
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 09-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    I can't do much for adding metallic, but I can get in the ballpark of the red you're looking for.

#NoMoto
    That's perfect. Thank you sir! Forwarding that picture to my son.

vCash
    Long overdue update.

I mostly finished the engine harness following the videos on the LT1swap youtube channel. Over the last few days we got the harness hooked up and started merging the old harness with the new. There is still a lot of cleanup to do to get the lengths of wires right and get them all wrapped back up cleanly. I went down and bought a battery. The first test was making sure the engine would turn over. I jumped the starter solenoid wire and it did spin over well. The next day I hooked up the ignition switch and was able to get the engine to spin over with the key. Yesterday my son and I finished hooking up the rest of the harness and grounds. We hooked up the computer, put fuses in the new fuse block I built, threw some spark plugs and wires on it and tested for spark. We had a fat blue spark. We put that plug back in and sprayed some ether into the throttle body. I stepped back and my son hit the key. She fired up right away.

It was a huge relief knowing I had done everything properly with the original truck harness and finally hearing the engine run. It was loud due to being open headers pointing into the garage at the moment but we are so much more motivated to work on it again now.

vCash
    I also forgot to take into account that the drive belt was on, but the wrecking yard had cut the power steering lines. Once she started, that pressure line of course shot fluid at the Z06 and the Accord in the driveway so they got an unplanned bath afterwards.

Registered Member

vCash
    Long overdue update.

I mostly finished the engine harness following the videos on the LT1swap youtube channel. Over the last few days we got the harness hooked up and started merging the old harness with the new. There is still a lot of cleanup to do to get the lengths of wires right and get them all wrapped back up cleanly. I went down and bought a battery. The first test was making sure the engine would turn over. I jumped the starter solenoid wire and it did spin over well. The next day I hooked up the ignition switch and was able to get the engine to spin over with the key. Yesterday my son and I finished hooking up the rest of the harness and grounds. We hooked up the computer, put fuses in the new fuse block I built, threw some spark plugs and wires on it and tested for spark. We had a fat blue spark. We put that plug back in and sprayed some ether into the throttle body. I stepped back and my son hit the key. She fired up right away.

It was a huge relief knowing I had done everything properly with the original truck harness and finally hearing the engine run. It was loud due to being open headers pointing into the garage at the moment but we are so much more motivated to work on it again now.
    I can't wait for that day with our 71 LeMans. Congratulations, it must be a huge relief to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

vCash
    Nice. Congrats.

The Battery King of South Georgia SIK02SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIK02SS
    getting closer!

vCash
    That may absolutely be an option in the future. Hell, I didn't want to fight the oil pan, mounts, fuel delivery, or cooling so I spent good money to make that stuff easier.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel..._harness_kits/

vCash
    Remember, this was all using the Holley LS swap kit. https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Ground clearance with headers and 302-2 oil pan.

New fuel tank. (Pump and fuel level sending unit now installed.)

Installed passenger side header.

Bellhousing bolt to firewall clearance.

Nice! Looks like you assembled the engine with it in the engine bay. I recently rebuilt the sbc in my '73 Nova and did the same thing. I don't have modern power in my Nova, but I did go retro roller cam in the sbc. It doesn't idle smooth while in drive though

vCash
    Dumb question fueled by internet memes. Will the transmission hold up with that engine? Or is it just when beaten on they give up the ghost.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    Long overdue update.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    I can't wait for that day with our 71 LeMans. Congratulations, it must be a huge relief to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    It's absolutely invigorating, especially seeing my son's excitement as well.

Nice. Congrats.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    getting closer!
    I'd like to say we'll have it on the road for some autocross (using awful 1968 technology at that point) this season but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I actually ended up modifying the original harness myself and ordered the Holley (Tanks, Inc) fuel tank with an in tank electric pump. Now I just have to wire it up, get the flex lines (feed and return) run on both ends, and splice into the feed line to add the fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 67Beast View Post
    Nice! Looks like you assembled the engine with it in the engine bay. I recently rebuilt the sbc in my '73 Nova and did the same thing. I don't have modern power in my Nova, but I did go retro roller cam in the sbc. It doesn't idle smooth while in drive though
    We inspected the short block with it on an engine stand but actually putting the heads back on it definitely happened in the car. I got a little spoiled working on a car with no front clip getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    Dumb question fueled by internet memes. Will the transmission hold up with that engine? Or is it just when beaten on they give up the ghost.
    We're running the same 4L60E that came with the LM7 in the Escalade. I'm not sure of it's stock limitations but for the time being, other than the headers, it's basically still stock. While the Chevelle is probably lighter, it will probably get beaten on a little harder too so I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    They will all end up with multiple neutrals if they are beaten on

vCash
    It's absolutely invigorating, especially seeing my son's excitement as well.

Thanks!

I'd like to say we'll have it on the road for some autocross (using awful 1968 technology at that point) this season but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I actually ended up modifying the original harness myself and ordered the Holley (Tanks, Inc) fuel tank with an in tank electric pump. Now I just have to wire it up, get the flex lines (feed and return) run on both ends, and splice into the feed line to add the fuel filter.

We inspected the short block with it on an engine stand but actually putting the heads back on it definitely happened in the car. I got a little spoiled working on a car with no front clip getting in the way.

We're running the same 4L60E that came with the LM7 in the Escalade. I'm not sure of it's stock limitations but for the time being, other than the headers, it's basically still stock. While the Chevelle is probably lighter, it will probably get beaten on a little harder too so I'm not sure.

They will all end up with multiple neutrals if they are beaten on

Registered Member

vCash
    Congrats!!

vCash
    I dropped the driveline off this afternoon to have it shortened.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GldRush98 Steam ID: GldRush98
    Good work. 10 by summer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GldRush98 View Post
    Good work. 10 by summer?

We're getting awfully close to driving it. Here's the list of what still needs done.

- fuel system (build fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel level gauge wiring)
    - install driveline when the shop finishes modifying it (and trans output shaft seal)
    - install the Hooker Blackheart dual exhaust we have sitting in a box (and the O2 sensors)
    - power steering lines
    - cooling system (radiator "nipples" for the hoses, radiator hoses, thermostat, heater hoses, heater core)
    - electric fans
    - transmission cooler and lines
    - shift linkage and add the new PRND321 lens into the factory dash
    - brakes (already have new hard lines, but needs everything else)
    - tires
    - clean up wiring (but that's not necessary to drive it)

Okay.....typing it out makes it seem like more than it actually is, but damnit, it feels like we're close.

vCash
    So the Chevelle's fuel system was a series of highs and lows. I was stoked that I had found some -6 AN quick connect fittings to go from the fuel tank to the nylon fuel line. They arrived yesterday and I was planning to get under the car and finish things up. That was when I learned the difference between AN and NPT fittings. Tanks Inc doesn't really specify what size NPT fittings they use, but fortunately Holley (who resells their tanks) has it listed. 1/4" for anybody wondering. I then spent over an hour trying to find a 1/4" NPT to 3/8" quick connect fitting and finally found what I needed at some place called Vulcan Diesel Performance.

vCash
    I have the driveline back, and the correct fuel fittings in hand.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I have the driveline back, and the correct fuel fittings in hand.
    Those fuel fittings will work better on the car. Duh!

vCash
    Today was a good day. I wrapped up the fuel system and got the driveline installed. :nanadance: Now she'll start without having ether sprayed down the throttle body.

Unfortunately, I was also reminded immediately that we still have VATS on the car. Now I have to decide if I want to order HPTuners or haul her to the tuner in Vancouver, WA. I'm leaning towards just ordering HPTuners.

Tomorrow I may try to get the exhaust hung under the car.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Today was a good day. I wrapped up the fuel system and got the driveline installed. :nanadance: Now she'll start without having ether sprayed down the throttle body.

Unfortunately, I was also reminded immediately that we still have VATS on the car. Now I have to decide if I want to order HPTuners or haul her to the tuner in Vancouver, WA. I'm leaning towards just ordering HPTuners.

Tomorrow I may try to get the exhaust hung under the car.
    Order the HPTuner

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Find someone to delete the VATS and EGR for $75 and drive the damn thing

vCash
    Find someone to delete the VATS and EGR for $75 and drive the damn thing
    I still need to dump about $2-3,000 into it between the brakes, tires, radiator nipples, electric fans and shroud, tranny cooler and lines, power steering lines, and HPTuner. I can't say I'm not tempted just to take a week off to do all of that stuff but I'm warring with myself over that because the father/son project has become a dad project that the son is excited about and helps with every other month or so because he's an adult now, working full time, dating a girl that lives an hour and a half from my house, etc.

vCash
    It may not be much progress but I did get the Hooker Blackheart dual exhaust hung, O2 sensors installed, and the instrument cluster wiring cleaned up and bulbs replaced. I had the shift linkage mostly installed but I cut the rod too short without realizing how dramatically I have to bend it to make it around the firewall, and how far inboard towards the shift selector center point on the transmission I have to have it so I can hit all of the gears with the column shift. The best I was able to get was PRNOD, missing 2 and 1. I'll have a better kit here soon to get that sorted.

Registered Member

vCash
    I really have to get off my lazy ass and get in the garage to finish up our 71 LeMans Sport convert. It's been sitting for years with hardly anything done to it. Seeing threads like this I hope will inspire me.

Registered Member

vCash
    how easy/hard was the exhaust? i have the same set sitting in the garage, just need to get around to starting on the swap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swey00 View Post
    how easy/hard was the exhaust? i have the same set sitting in the garage, just need to get around to starting on the swap.
    I kept putting it off hoping my son would have time to come help me but eventually just did it myself. It was actually way easier than I thought it would be. After you get the mounts attached to the frame you can actually get the entire kit to hang without tightening a single clamp. I used the jack to raise it up as I went through tightening all of the band clamps.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Finish this damn thing already

vCash
    At least I am making forward progress damnit.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    how's the trickle charger?

Registered Member

vCash
    At least I am making forward progress damnit.
    unlike me. I purchased the exhaust and motor/trans mount kits the day they were released and still havent gotten started on it.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverSS View Post
    how's the trickle charger?
    unplugged

car is getting upgraded

on a related note, going to pick up the 9 inch today for my catfish

vCash
    Just ordered the MPVI 2 from HPTuners so I can tune the VATS out and start tuning.

vCash
    Finally tuned out the VATS security. Getting closer!!!

vCash