Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ordered our LM7 and 4L60E for the Chevelle.

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Social media is huge these day, use it to your advantage. But dont just look for what they are posting, look for what they are not.

Ive never really paid for work to be done to any of my vehicles and im not likely to, but a good friend of mine has his own shop here in TX. If you look at his stuff you can see the detail, cars completely rewired and loomed professionally, under dash pics that dont look like a birds nest. Ive seen so many shops turn out a product that looks good on TV or in a social media post, but when you get up close its a fire hazard under the dash and you can see corners cut everywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Glad we could help. Hopefully we can start seeing some progress soon with your build!

The rally's that are on the car are 14x6 (f) and 14x7 (r) so I think I'm going to go with 225/60R14 on the front and 245/60R14 on the rear. I don't think there are a ton of options for tires in 14's, but between Cooper Cobras and BFG Radial TA's, I'm going to go with the slightly better traction of the BFG's.

In high school I rebuilt the stock 8.2" 10-bolt (single fry) with something like 4.10's so I'll take what extra traction I can take.
    Cool. I'm going with the Coopers. Have BFGs currently and since the car isn't driven much, I can't see paying extra for the BFG.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
    I think it will start up soon. My son is going through a divorce (its actually his car) and that should be over in the next few weeks. He did a MAJOR downsizing on his house/debt since they had to sell it. He was living with us for the past 3 months but moved out on Friday. He told me now that he will be making/saving some big money each month, he wants a Pro to do the final assembly of it.

How do you even search a place that does this type of restorations? We'd like someone within a 150 mile or so radius from South Jersey. I mentioned to him Fantom Works, the guy on TV he's down in MD which would work.
    word of mouth and social media

when I was looking for a shop to work on the chevelle I asked around and got recommendations from various folks

Narrowed it down to a few places and talked to all of them. Some super friendly and helpful, some assholes that acted like they didn't want the work or could get to it in a year.

Like 70chevelle said, there is a huge difference in the product some of these shops turn out. And the cost reflects it.

vCash
    I think it will start up soon. My son is going through a divorce (its actually his car) and that should be over in the next few weeks. He did a MAJOR downsizing on his house/debt since they had to sell it. He was living with us for the past 3 months but moved out on Friday. He told me now that he will be making/saving some big money each month, he wants a Pro to do the final assembly of it.

How do you even search a place that does this type of restorations? We'd like someone within a 150 mile or so radius from South Jersey. I mentioned to him Fantom Works, the guy on TV he's down in MD which would work.
    it would probably sit for a year plus before the guys at DRS automotive (Fantom) touched it and he had better be prepped to spend big.

Personally I would find a local shop. Start by simply calling the shops in your area and talking to them.

vCash
    The coil springs arrived and I went ahead and ordered the tires. I'll take the wheels down to Costco to get the new tires put on Friday when I go get estimates for the truck.

vCash
    Tires came in and are now mounted up!

I started sorting out the shift linkage tonight. I need to cut the rod to length tomorrow, but I figured that was best done when I haven't been drinking. Also tomorrow, the lower control arm bolts will be here so I can get the front suspension and brakes all reassembled. It's going to be a busy weekend.

I popped the drums off the rear brakes while I had those wheels off and realized one wheel cylinder had leaked and impregnated the shoes so I went ahead and ordered new rear shoes and drums which will be here next week.

vCash
    Surprised you didnt refinish those wheels before mounting tires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Surprised you didnt refinish those wheels before mounting tires.
    If it was Gearhead or Griswold's Chevelle's I would agree with you but given what my paint looks like, mine would look out of place if they were painted. I also don't know what color I would do them in. The center caps and beauty rings will cover up most of them anyways.

Plus I am busy enough already trying to get everything else done.

vCash
    What's your plan when you're done? Power Tour? My goal is to have mine ready for power tour 2021. Would be nice if Griswold could go too and we could all meet up.

Found out I'm going to have to get the trans rebuilt in mine. Thinking about doing it myself and learning along the way.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
    What's your plan when you're done? Power Tour? My goal is to have mine ready for power tour 2021. Would be nice if Griswold could go too and we could all meet up.

Found out I'm going to have to get the trans rebuilt in mine. Thinking about doing it myself and learning along the way.
    I hadn't even thought about that

I like the 2021 power tour idea

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Ill be there

I was registered for this year but the rescheduling to August just doesnt work so were out Im super fucking bummed

vCash

Honestly, I haven't even thought out that far. I'm looking forward to getting some baseline dragstrip numbers, and enjoying autocrossing her 1968 suspension around some cones before we start doing performance mods. I'll have to look at the map for 2021 and see how feasible it is. Meeting up would definitely be fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    I hadn't even thought about that

I like the 2021 power tour idea
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    Ill be there

I was registered for this year but the rescheduling to August just doesnt work so were out Im super fucking bummed
    I'm definitely out for August. My hope is that I can get A/C before 2021. New suspension will be done this summer and then A/C will be the big priority.

vCash
    Do it!

I'm definitely out for August. My hope is that I can get A/C before 2021. New suspension will be done this summer and then A/C will be the big priority.
    A/C? Nice....

What suspension are you going with?

vCash
    A/C? Nice....

What suspension are you going with?
    I haven't decided yet. It's down to 3 choices and will probably utlimately come down to budget. They're relatively close but Ridetech is about $1000 more. I'm leaning towards the Aldan American because I like the adjustability and the price. I would likely have to upgrade more than the shocks with that system though.

Ridetech Street Grip
    UMI Stage 1 or Stage 1.5
    Aldan American Coilovers

Performance Online has a stage 2 kit that is only $675. I don't really know anything about them or the kit though.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 05-14-2020 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I haven't decided yet. It's down to 3 choices and will probably utlimately come down to budget. They're relatively close but Ridetech is about $1000 more. I'm leaning towards the Aldan American because I like the adjustability and the price. I would likely have to upgrade more than the shocks with that system though.

Ridetech Street Grip
    UMI Stage 1 or Stage 1.5
    Aldan American Coilovers

Performance Online has a stage 2 kit that is only $675. I don't really know anything about them or the kit though.
    Im running POL uppers on my truck, they are a nice product for the price. Not familiar with the Chevelle kit, but im sure its a solid setup.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Do it!

It should be back on schedule for the beginning of June next year and will start in Joliet, IL and hopefully end up in Kansas or something reasonably close.

vCash
    Im running POL uppers on my truck, they are a nice product for the price. Not familiar with the Chevelle kit, but im sure its a solid setup.
    Nice. For the price, I'm tempted to give it a shot. It's quite a bit less than the others and I'm not sure its' worth the extra $800 to do coilovers on a car that will likely only be street driven.

vCash
    It should be back on schedule for the beginning of June next year and will start in Joliet, IL and hopefully end up in Kansas or something reasonably close.
    Sounds great. It's something I've always wanted to do and it would be awesome to take the Chevelle. If I don't have AC, I might just take the 1LE. Gotta see if the wife wants to go, if not, I'll need to find a co-pilot.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 05-14-2020 at 10:00 PM.

vCash

Before and after:

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Whataburger > *

vCash
    excellent

vCash
    I dropped the differential and pulled all the control arms last night.

This bushing just fell out of the control arm.

Most of the bushings looked about like this.

I'll get it all cleaned up and painted and then slapped back together. I've got all new brake lines, rear brakes, bushings, shocks, etc all waiting to be installed.
    Last edited by Potent68; 06-08-2020 at 09:18 PM.

vCash
    Looking good!

Registered Member

vCash
    The ride will be awesome when this is back on the road!!

vCash
    I should point out that that is the 8.2" 10-bolt that the car came with. I rebuilt it about 23 years ago with 4.11's despite the open carrier because I was young and didn't know any better. On the up side, it probably has less than 1,000 miles on it since the rebuild.

Registered Member

vCash
    4.11 Open rear

vCash
    I pulled the rear diff a while back to clean up the control arms and replace the bushings. Despite trying to prevent the weak stock control arms from collapsing, it still happened. Rather than keep mucking with them k went ahead and ordered UMI tubular rear control arms with adjustable uppers. Today I finally got my shipping confirmation. .

Now I really need to get back out there and get everything else wrapped up.
    Last edited by Potent68; 09-02-2020 at 11:46 PM.

vCash
    I pulled the rear diff a while back to clean up the control arms and replace the bushings. Despite trying to prevent the weak stock control arms from collapsing, it still happened. Rather than keep mucking with them k went ahead and ordered UMI tubular rear control arms with adjustable uppers. Today I finally got my shipping confirmation. .

Now I really need to get back out there and get everything else wrapped up.
    I have the same lower control arms but I went with non adjustable uppers. I haven't installed them yet. Too damn hot here.

Registered Member

vCash
    Were they not boxed lowers?

vCash
    Were they not boxed lowers?
    I think boxed lowers were only if it had F41 suspension and I think that was for SS and COPO only. It was a rare option for 1969 as only around 700 SS cars were ordered with it. It became standard on SS for 1970.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 09-03-2020 at 01:44 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Don't forget to grease them!

vCash
    Don't forget to grease them!
    If you're replacing the control arm bump stops (triangle rubber pieces on the differential) don't get them from Ausley's. Theirs are terrible repops that don't fit in the mount. My new set from OPGI this time should be here tomorrow.

Did you go with black or red for your control arms?

vCash
    If you're replacing the control arm bump stops (triangle rubber pieces on the differential) don't get them from Ausley's. Theirs are terrible repops that don't fit in the mount. My new set from OPGI this time should be here tomorrow.

Did you go with black or red for your control arms?

Black. I didn't want anything red.

I have a very expensive pen. Hack Job's Avatar

vCash
    I've been running that same UMI setup for a few years. Nice pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack Job View Post
    I've been running that same UMI setup for a few years. Nice pieces.
    Good to hear! How are your cars coming along?

vCash
    I got the new control arms and differential installed last night. I also replaced the hardware for my fuel tank straps, installed new wheel studs, new brake lines, new wheel cylinders, and the new rubber bump stops.

Last edited by Potent68; 09-14-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Whataburger > *

vCash
    looks good

vCash
    Coming along nicely!

You gonna put a sway bar on the rear?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    looks good
    Thanks!

Coming along nicely!

You gonna put a sway bar on the rear?
    Thank you. Eventually on the sway bar. My goal was stock style suspension for now so my son can really see and feel the difference our mods are making but collapsing that rear control arm installing the bushing prompted this premature upgrade. I'd love to do a full handling package once it's been on the road for a while.

I have a very expensive pen. Hack Job's Avatar

vCash
    Good to hear! How are your cars coming along?
    Pretty stagnant this year. Been busy learning to ride dirt bikes with my son . I really wanted to get some track/autocross time with the chevelle this year but ya know, the whole 2020 thing happened

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack Job View Post
    Pretty stagnant this year. Been busy learning to ride dirt bikes with my son . I really wanted to get some track/autocross time with the chevelle this year but ya know, the whole 2020 thing happened
    I feel ya on that one. I thought we'd get the Chevelle and the Z06 out for drag racing and autocross but it's just not happening.

vCash
    looking good...pretty sure this is going to be dads car once your done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
    looking good...pretty sure this is going to be dads car once your done
    Technically it's still mine. At this point I want a different project for myself though.

vCash
    I just spent some time putting the rear brake shoes on. I went with Autozone for the shoes and drums. The rear brakes are 9.5". For the life of me I could not get the drums to slide over the shoes. I checked all the basic stuff. Star wheel fully compressed, top of the shoes sitting flush on the pin, no park brake pressure, etc. I pulled the parts up on Autozone's website again and double-checked that I had the right part numbers, based on their system. Then I looked at their specs for the drums. 241.17mm inside diameter. 9.5" would be 241.3. At one point I got one of the drums about halfway on but it was wayyyy too tight. Unfortunately, I ordered this stuff in May. I'll have to call tomorrow to see if they will take it back, find somebody to turn these new drums a bit so they will fit, or just get the recommended Napa drums, which have a 10" inner diameter.

Registered Member

vCash
    That sucks. If they don't take them back, I'd cut the drums down.

the horror . . . the horror EVILFACE's Avatar

vCash
    Recently did the rear drums on my 71. Did you make sure the bottom adjuster is fully compressed and all parts in there place? I used ACDelco replacements.

First time changing drums for me in 30 years lol.

vCash
    That sucks. If they don't take them back, I'd cut the drums down.
    I thought about it but the number of places with lathes has gone down and with the hourly rate being what it is at most places it's probably not much different price wise to just get new drums.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    Recently did the rear drums on my 71. Did you make sure the bottom adjuster is fully compressed and all parts in there place? I used ACDelco replacements.

First time changing drums for me in 30 years lol.
    Yep, zero threads showing on either side. I actually texted a buddy and we laughed about how many years it had been since we had had to do drum brakes.