Thread: GM to Cut Production Due to Inventory Surplus

vCash

GM to Cut Production Due to Inventory Surplus

General Motors has a surplus of cars, forcing it to reduce production at yet another facility–its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant where it builds the Chevrolet Volt, Impala, Buick LaCrosse, and Cadillac CT6. According to The Detroit News, GM will suspend production at Hamtramck for three weeks next month. The move was prompted by the automaker’s growing […]
    The post GM to Cut Production Due to Inventory Surplus appeared first on Motor Trend.

More...

I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

vCash
    Surplus like hell.
    Till I can get an LT trim Silverado with a 6.2,they can ram all that "surplus" shens up their ass!

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    I can see your point, a little. GM would rather you bought a trim package, rather than a truck built the way you want. OTOH, nobody wants to wait for a special order vehicle, and a dealer may be reluctant to order one, fearing getting stuck with an odd combination of features that nobody else would want. The dealers want to move product off their lots, into you hands as quickly as possible, flow some volume.

But, yeah, I'd prefer to be able to get one or two comforts that I actually use, rather than having to buy the "special lighting package" or the "luxury trim option" just to get a tilt wheel or an upgraded radio.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    I can see your point, a little. GM would rather you bought a trim package, rather than a truck built the way you want. OTOH, nobody wants to wait for a special order vehicle, and a dealer may be reluctant to order one, fearing getting stuck with an odd combination of features that nobody else would want. The dealers want to move product off their lots, into you hands as quickly as possible, flow some volume.

But, yeah, I'd prefer to be able to get one or two comforts that I actually use, rather than having to buy the "special lighting package" or the "luxury trim option" just to get a tilt wheel or an upgraded radio.
    Im not even asking for pick and choose options. Im not aski g for power windows, but manual door locks. I understand trim levels, but a power plant should not be held to specific trim levels only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Im not even asking for pick and choose options. Im not aski g for power windows, but manual door locks. I understand trim levels, but a power plant should not be held to specific trim levels only.
    You want that engine? You're gonna pay for it...and more!

vCash
    The Chevrolet Camaro, for example, had a 177-day supply at the end of November, and it was 170 days for the Corvette and Spark.
    thats why I understood the Camaro was cheaper

vCash
    JIT + Amazon like delivery will be in my life time

vCash
    Hmmmm... surplus on CT6's...

Might have to look at the incentives...

$1,500 off and 0% for 60 months. Not bad, but not good enough to tempt me into pulling the trigger. Yet.

vCash
    20% off a ZL1 please...

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No F-bdy Bs View Post
    Surplus like hell.
    Till I can get an LT trim Silverado with a 6.2,they can ram all that "surplus" shens up their ass!
    The mythical 6.2 LT that everyone claims to want so badly but in reality 1,000 people would buy

vCash
    A couple of miles down the road from me is a small community with a fairly small Chevy dealership. At this dealership there are about 10 c7 corvettes. I have thought several times, "who the hell are buying these cars around here"? I guess I now know for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roush97 View Post
    The mythical 6.2 LT that everyone claims to want so badly but in reality 1,000 people would buy
    So, people arent buying Ecoboost in XLT trim?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    and here I am ordering all of the 1LEs I can get.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHAWK#35 View Post
    A couple of miles down the road from me is a small community with a fairly small Chevy dealership. At this dealership there are about 10 c7 corvettes. I have thought several times, "who the hell are buying these cars around here"? I guess I now know for sure.
    thats how I got my camaro. Small town dealer that typically only sells trucks and compact cars. They didn't have 1 vette on the lot and the camaro I bought was the only SS. They were discounting it pretty heavily to move it.

vCash
    You're missing the point. Doesn't matter how many are sold. It won't cost GM anything to offer the 6.2 in different configurations and trim levels.

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You're missing the point. Doesn't matter how many are sold. It won't cost GM anything to offer the 6.2 in different configurations and trim levels.
    This is completely wrong and your missing the point of why it's only offered in high end packages. GM is forcing people into either a 2500 or high end 1500 model to high which gives a higher profit.

vCash
    This is completely wrong and your missing the point of why it's only offered in high end packages. GM is forcing people into either a 2500 or high end 1500 model to high which gives a higher profit.
    Or, turns them off completely,and to another brand.

If I cant get a 6.2 in the trim I want, ill be getting a 3.5EB,and from what I read on the Gm truck forums, im not the only one.

Gm is the only Mfg that consistently does this with their trucks.
    A crazy concept, I know, but how about they sell me what I want to buy

vCash
    I'm not missing anything. The point of this conversation went over your head.

Your initial point was that only 1000 LT 6.2s would be sold, suggesting nobody really wants that. But then you switch it up and suggest that GM forces you into a higher trim package to get the 6.2. What point are you trying to make? Are you afraid everyone would want the 6.2 in a lower trim package now, and that's why GM has to sell it only in LTZ trucks? GM probably stands to make more money selling the 6.2 engine as a standalone option in all trim and cab configurations. It works fine for Ford.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 12-29-2016 at 04:06 AM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6
    There are plenty of people that would buy a 6.2 in LT trim. I had believed that it wasn't offered in anything other than LTZ because of supply issues with the engine. Now, the engine is available with no constraints or limitations so I don't really know why GM hasn't decided to make it available across all trim levels. I don't believe it's to push people to the higher trims though.
    Last edited by Gearhead SS; 12-29-2016 at 07:44 PM.