Thread: Keeping your Power windows working.

vCash

Keeping your Power windows working.

Last year on the other board someone came up with this and I just did this maintenance so I thought that I would pass it on.

First, we all know that Fbody power windows suck, we have the biggest side windows of just about any car, but to cut corners GM put about the weakest power window motors in them.

To keep your windows working try this. First buy some Silicone spray, not a silicone based lubricant, real silicone spray, I attached a pic of the type that I use, but you should use whatever is available.

About twice a year when I notice my windows getting slower I will take the silicone spray and put the little tube on it so I can use it to get down in the rubber channels that the windows travel in. Spray some silicone inside these channels and it will make your windows a lot faster and put less strain on your window motors making them last longer. The spray doesn't coat your windows like a WD-40 or other spray lubricant will, it's pretty much un-noticible once you wipe up the excess.

If your windows are running really slow, please try this before getting all over GM's ass for something you could have helped prevent.

I Love Corvettes!!

vCash
    My 95 is still on the original power window motors! The driver's side one goes up and down pretty quick too. I rarely use the other one, it's a bit slower but not alarmingly so.

Out of the three f-bodies I've owned (all 4th gens) not a single power window motor has failed me.

Im inside..open your eyes Chevcamaro18's Avatar

vCash
    Ill have to give this a shot...are you just spraying it right down in the door while the window is up or what?

vCash
    where can u buy that silicone spray? i'm gonna give it a shot ... my dr side is slowin down

vCash
    I think that you can buy it at most auto parts places.

On the front part of the door I stick the little tube down in the channel and spray it while pulling the tube out. It's really easy.

Registered Member

vCash

Re: Keeping your Power windows working.

Originally posted by jamnut

About twice a year when I notice my windows getting slower I will take the silicone spray and put the little tube on it so I can use it to get down in the rubber channels that the windows travel in. Spray some silicone inside these channels and it will make your windows a lot faster and put less strain on your window motors making them last longer. The spray doesn't coat your windows like a WD-40 or other spray lubricant will, it's pretty much un-noticible once you wipe up the excess.

Which channels are you talking about. I had my door panel off before and I still don't know what you are talking about. The window seems to hardly touch anything as it moves.

vCash
    The rubber weather seals where the window meets up with the side view mirror mount is the main one that gets sticky. I use it on the back side of the door too. Use it any where your window doesn't contact felt. Only use it on rubber to glass surfaces, the felt surfaces shouldn't need lubrication.

It's really simple. And useful.

Registered Member

vCash
    silicone spray Is the whip,I use it for all kinds of shit. My windows in my house were sticking, and a little shot there like new
    Last edited by 02bluez; 03-29-2004 at 05:39 AM.

ls1 Collector

vCash
    i did that today.i noticed a difference.i can still hear the window motor laboring a little but its better.