Thread: Spark Plug Tools

vCash

Unhappy Spark Plug Tools

So here's a hypothetical for you:

Say you were to have the perfect set of tools to change the spark plugs on an F-Body. What exactly would those tools be, where could you get them, part #s, etc? (pics would be great too).

As with doing anything on a car, it is all about having the right tools. I would personally like this answer, but I'm sure it could help out many others in the process.

Registered Member

vCash
    Here's a picture of what we've found to work quite well.

Al

vCash
    Well I am sure some will have a few other tricks of the trade...
    But a ratchet and a sparkplug socket, a set of the Gear Wrench ratchet boxends (the ones with the switch) several extentions and I bought a swivel head ratchet just for this. I also have been looking for a tool I heard of a while back, a sparkplug socket with a built end extention that swivels.
    I have not found it yet...
    Let the other great ideas roll in

vCash
    All of the items I posted are from sears.
    with the exception of the the elusive swivel, which I understand is from Snap On. I just don't have any connections for them.

vCash
    Craftsman has a swivel spark plug socket... It's listed in the catalog. I don't ever remember seeing it at the store though.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: j_r_p
    i just use a standard spark plug socket, 3/8" wrachet and and small extention if need be .

vCash
    Originally posted by jrp
    i just use a standard spark plug socket, 3/8" wrachet and and small extention if need be .
    Yea it can be done, but some of these other tools make life soooo much easier.

vCash
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00943322000

Here's the Craftsman piece...seems much more reasonable, and I know you can get another universal joint to make it just like the Snap On version. Much better idea.

Registered Member

vCash
    Originally posted by MeentSS02
    Nice pic, but could you give a decent description of what those tools are (or what I could ask for if I went to Sears or something)?
    1. Craftsman 3/8" drive 22 degree offset flex ratchet, I think this tool is well worth having. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944835000

2. 3/8" drive 1" extension.

3. Normal lenght spark plug socket.

4. Matco tool knurled spark plug socket, this socket is 3 3/4" long compared to a 2 1/4" long standard spark plug socket. If you can't find a Matco dealer check with Snap-on or a NAPPA store.

Now here's one tip you seldom hear about, take a shop rag and stuff it into the mouth of the motor mount. If you ever drop a spark plug down into the motor mount you'll understand why.

vCash
    Originally posted by NJones
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

Here you go... $10.
    I use basically the same socket on my car, but one little tip, wrap the universal jt with electrical tape, just 1 or 2 wraps. That way it won't flop around when trying to get it on the plug. I don't even try to get the #8 plug out from the top, I go from underneath with an open end wrench. I always keep a 4" to 6" piece of 3/8" rubber tubing to put on the top of the hard to reach plugs to help stab them in the plug hole. That's the best way to get them started for me.

vCash
    Originally posted by jrp
    But it would be nice to find other alternatives to speed up my change process!!

Ride my ass and get burned! 2000 Tran Zam's Avatar

vCash
    i just saw this one on ebay. i guess it was modified for the lt1/ls1 engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2465315610

Registered Member

vCash
    F-bod spark plug change is not that bad. I used a 3/8 universal, 3/8 ratchet, 2 4" 3/8 extensions, 5/8 spark plug socket. The a-hole that replaced the plugs before me did a half ass job because he FORGOT TO USE ANTI-SEIZE!
    Last edited by Z_28_0117; 03-13-2004 at 08:15 AM.

Registered Member

vCash
    Originally posted by Z_28_0117
    F-bod spark plug change is not that bad. I used a 3/8 universal, 3/8 ratchet, 2 4" 3/8 extensions, 5/8 spark plug socket. The a-hole that replaced the plugs before me did a half ass job because he FORGOT TO USE ANTI-SEIZE!
    dumb question, but where can you buy anti-seize and dielectric grease?

vCash
    Originally posted by Julian
    dumb question, but where can you buy anti-seize and dielectric grease?
    Go to any auto parts store, and they should have it. I found some at Auto Zone without much of a problem at all...it was in amongst all the other stuff that comes in tubes, like RTV and the like. If you can't find it, just ask them. It is very common stuff...

vCash
    I did my LT1 with and adjustable head rachet, spark plug socket, and extension, no special sockets or such, and LT1s are worse then LS1s btw, took a while

vCash
    Moving this to methods and procedures