Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 243

Thread: Walmart: Working Man Commercial

  1. #1
    Ain't nobody chasin' me boy.
    Jack Daniels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    64,817
    vCash
    1090

    Walmart: Working Man Commercial




  2. #2
    Ain't nobody chasin' me boy.
    Jack Daniels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    64,817
    vCash
    1090
    And Mike Rowe is taking a ton of flak for this commercial.




    From his facebook page. If you have facebook, check out his page.

    Last night during the Olympics, a commercial started running called “I Am a Factory.” It’s part of a larger campaign sponsored by Walmart, called “Work Is a Beautiful Thing.” The commercial features real people doing real work in real factories all across America. It’s not very glamorous, but it’s honest and authentic, and I was honored to narrate it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQcoDQq3-o

    Today, I see that some people are calling for my head. Other’s want me to run for office. And some have demanded the surgical removal of my vocal cords. What better way to spend a rainy Sunday than by responding to a few?

    Let’s start with Kevin Groce.

    “Mike - Walmart was the last thing I would ever think you would do anything for! Why?

    Hi Kevin,

    That’s easy. Walmart has committed to purchase 250 billion dollars of American made products over the next decade. In essence, that’s a purchase order made out to the USA for a quarter of a trillion dollars. That means dozens of American factories are going to reopen all over the country. Millions of dollars will pour straight into local economies, and hundreds of thousands of new manufacturing positions will need to be filled. That’s a massive undertaking packed with enormous challenges, and I want to help. I want to see them succeed. Don’t you? Honestly Kevin, who gives a crap about your feelings toward Walmart? Who gives a crap about mine? Isn’t this the kind of initiative we can all get behind?

    “I've looked up to you for the longest time. What happened to your support of the underdogs? Sad times Mike.”

    Be strong, Kevin. I’m flattered that you’ve looked up to me in the past. Hopefully, I’ll redeem myself in the future. But I’ve never supported the “underdog” simply because they’re not the favorite. Size might matter in some pursuits, (I’ve been assured it does,) but in business, there’s nothing inherently good about being small, and nothing inherently bad about being big. My foundation supports skilled labor, American manufacturing, entrepreneurial risk, a solid work ethic, and personal responsibility. We reward these qualities wherever we find them, whether they’re in David or Goliath.

    Deepwater
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:11pm
    “God bless you, Mike Rowe! And now brace yourselves for the squealing from the libs who are constantly trashing Walmart.”

    I am braced, Deepwater. But to be fair, I’m friendly with lots of liberals who support this initiative with great enthusiasm. And I know some conservatives who look at this campaign with great skepticism. I don’t blame them. I think anything on television, especially a commercial with a big claim delivered by a professional spokesman should always be questioned. But if the country can’t get behind a program like this, I’m afraid we are all well and truly screwed.

    Romeapple
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 5:00pm
    It’s hypocrisy. WalMart’s products are all made in China. WalMart contributes to those empty factories. What’s so “powerful” about an ad that makes absolutely no sense?"

    That’s not entirely accurate, Romeapple. There’s a lot of merchandise currently in Walmart that’s manufactured right here in the USA - (including Dirty Jobs Cleaning Products.) But let’s assume - for the purpose of conversation - that Walmart did get every single item from China. Wouldn’t you like to see that change? Watch the ad again. Walmart is promising to buy 250 billion dollars of American made stuff and put it on their shelves. Whatever else you might think of the company, can you really root against an initiative like that? Let me ask it another way. Do you really think America has any hope of reinvigorating our manufacturing base without support from the biggest retailer in the world?

    Pat Duffy
    “I am uneasy about trusting Walmart to do the right things to better serve this country and its people but if you think they'll change I hope your right.”

    We’ll see, Pat. But there’s a reason for optimism, which ironically, is the same reason for your uneasiness. Remember, this is Walmart making the claim. They have to make good on it, because if they’re blowing smoke, their detractors will eat them alive. I believe this thing is going to happen because they are completely out of the closet with it. Walmart is going to buy a quarter trillion dollars of American made goods in the next ten years and put those goods on their shelves. The only question is whether or not Americans will support that effort. If they do, we just might be looking at a stimulus that actually stimulates something.

    Rose Marie Bayless writes -

    “Dear Mike - There's only one little problem with your new commercial for Walmart....and that is that they do NOT provide manufacturing jobs.”

    Hi Rose. You’re correct - Walmart doesn’t “provide” manufacturing jobs. Mostly because they’re not a manufacturing company. They’re a retailer. They buy all sorts of things from all sorts of suppliers all over the world, which they then sell to millions of Americans. In fact, 60% of all Americans shop there. That’s why Walmart is so successful. And that’s why they can do a great deal to encourage their suppliers to manufacture goods domestically. That’s what this initiative is all about - a financial commitment to buy from American suppliers.

    “Hey, I am on your side here, I want "made in America" too but make you’re sure on the side of the WORKER not the corporate greed side ok Mike? Love ya.”

    Love ya back, Rose, but no thanks. You offer up a false and dangerous choice. The world is bigger than “Workers vs. Bosses,” and so is this campaign. Remember, Walmart thrives because a majority of Americans like to shop there. Like Apple, Discovery, Ford, and Facebook, Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer. Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.

    Sean Murray says,

    “I thought you were good person. But I just saw your AD that WAL-MART paid for. Your a corporate suck, Rowe.”

    Well hi there, Sean. From “good person” to corporate suck in 60 seconds! That’s gotta be a record! Let me explain something. Better sit down, as the truth may shock you. Ready? I make my living on commercial television. Not television. COMMERCIAL television.

    That means I appear in television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. I also produce television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. I sometimes narrate television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. And occasionally, I appear in the television commercials themselves, also paid for by corporations. No matter what your job is Sean, if you work in commercial television, the money all flows from the same place. And no - it’s not the advertisers or the corporations that pay the bills. It’s you, Sean. The viewer. Just like the customer in a Walmart, the viewer on the sofa programs the airwaves by deciding what to watch and what to buy. In other words, you’re the boss.

    Don’t get me wrong - I would never imply that your decision to watch a Corporate Spectacle like the International Olympic Games on a Global Network owned by one of the largest Conglomerates on Planet Earth makes you a “corporate suck.” But I might wonder - given the purity of your own position - why you ever liked me in the first place.

    (To be fair, I got my start on a home shopping channel, selling crap in the middle of the night to a narcoleptic crowd of nocturnal lonely-hearts, so I’ve had 25 years to get comfortable with the parasitical nature of my professional identity. Perhaps you’re just getting started?)

    onceaprouddemocrat
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:04pm
    Work is a beautiful thing, for those people in this country that still have any pride in the themselves. It seems that pride has become something that no one is allowed to show any more. Accomplishment also has disappeared from view.

    I think you’re right, onceproud. Most portrayals of work gravitate to one extreme or the other. Dream Jobs and Dangerous Jobs make better TV that Normal Jobs. With Dirty Jobs, I got lucky. We featured regular, hardworking people, covered with crap, but happy in their work. There was no talk about jobs being “good or bad.” The people on Dirty Jobs saw work as an opportunity, and they took pride in what they did. I loved that. This spot reminded me of the people I met on my show. I was struck by how familiar they looked. I guess that’s what happens when you cast real people...

    ComingUnglued
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:41pm
    “Walmart can be a hero here. Just do it! I’ll shop there when they do! We want everything clean and nice. No dirty manufacturing for us, no stinky farms. Wake up America, where are your dirty manufacturing jobs now, overseas that’s where. Where are all the farms? Where is your food coming from? Overseas, check the labels in the grocery stores.”

    You’re right, Unglued. Walmart can change the game. But the business of filling a few hundred thousand new factory jobs is not a slam dunk. Because in spite of high unemployment, hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs currently exist that no one seems to want. That little piece of the narrative doesn’t get a lot of press, but it should. Because the skills gap is real, and it’s a mistake to assume that people will line up to take jobs that so many people love to disparage.

    One of the real disconnects around this issue for me has been the steady drumbeat of unemployment in the headlines. I know that the labor participation rate is at historic lows. I know that millions are out of work. But I also know that I’ve seen Help Wanted signs in all 50 states. Even at the height of the recession, the employers I met on Dirty Jobs were all hiring. They still are. And they all told me the same thing - the biggest challenge of running a business was finding people who were willing to learn a new skill and work hard.

    I like this campaign because at it’s heart, it portrays hard work as something dignified and decent. Lot’s of people will criticize these spots as nothing but PR. But PR matters. A lot. Because right now, people are disconnected from the part of our workforce that still makes things. We can’t reinvigorate the trades until we agree and understand the importance of buying American. Again - who can be against that?

    truthseekerusa
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:54pm
    “Mike is a man of integrity so if he appears in an ad like this something good will follow. Instead of griping send a few dollars to the scholarship fund that Mike sponsors that sends young Americans to trade schools so they can earn a living instead of living off the government.”

    Thanks Truthseeker. Nice of you to say. At the risk of a Shameless Plug, allow me to second your suggestion.

    The mikeroweWORKS Foundation is in the business of training people for jobs that currently exist, while challenging the whole notion that “bad jobs” are the cause of our country's troubles. We’re currently awarding Work Ethic Scholarships in conjunction with a number of Trade Schools all over the country, and I’d like to use my Foundation as a way to help workforce development in the towns where these factories are going to be reopened. For Walmart to get more American made goods on it’s shelves, a lot of people are going to need a lot of training in all kinds of manufacturing positions. I’d love to be a part of that.

    To be clear, I am not the official voice of this campaign. But I would be. In a heartbeat. That’s why I agreed to narrate the first spot. Not as a spokesman for Walmart. But as a fan of what they’re trying to do.

    navycorpsman1
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:36pm
    “Mike Rowe will soon get a visit by the FBI, ATF, get audited by the IRS, get issued fines of a $1,000,000 by OSHA, and be deemed a terrorist by the TSA.”

    Oy. So much for “non-identified voiceover.”

    Teresa Ann Isaacs
    “I just saw your Walmart ad. I love it. I don't understand other people's criticisms. I think it's a broad step that this country desperately needs.”

    Hi Teresa - The criticism I think has something to do with cognitive dissonance. People get confused when they here something they agree with from someone they dislike.

    Likewise, people are often blind to bad ideas when they come from someone they admire. For some people, Walmart is the devil. It’s a company that embodies everything that’s wrong with our country. They simply can’t get their head around the fact that they are suddenly in agreement with them.

    Sean Murray’s not done with me. He writes again,

    “Misguided. Mike Rowe should have never done this ad due to the fact it came from WalMart. I like the message, but Walmart is one of the reasons a lot of manufacturing was lost in the United States. The vast majority of merchandise Walmart sells in the U.S. is manufactured abroad. The company searches the world for the cheapest goods possible, and this means buying from low-wage factories overseas. Walmart boasts of direct relationships with nearly 20,000 Chinese suppliers, and purchased $27 billion worth of Chinese-made goods in 2006. According to the Economic Policy Institute, Walmart’s trade with China alone eliminated 133,000 U.S. manufacturing jobs between 2001 and 2006 and accounted for 11.2 percent of the nation’s total job loss due to trade. With $419 billion in annual net sales, Walmart’s market power is so immense that blah, blah, blah...”

    Forgive me Sean, but I’ve replaced the rest of your rant with “blah blah blah” because it appears to have been cut and pasted word for word from a political site dedicated to destroying Walmart. And also because reactions like yours are the reason our country is paralyzed. You’re like the diehard conservatives who freaked out because I sat too close to Bill Maher, and the diehard liberals that got all bent when I got too close to Glenn Beck. You’re stuck in your own narrative.

    Step back for a minute. Look at what’s happening here. Walmart has just promised to do something you claim to want them to do. How do you react? Do you encourage them? Do you support them? No. You hold fast to the the party line. You lash out. Our country is falling apart around us, and you criticize me. For what? For doing a voiceover on a commercial that celebrates the dignity of hard work? I realize you’d prefer it if Costco was pushing this campaign forward, but guess what - they’re not.

    But, maybe they will? Maybe they’ll all get on board? Target, Best Buy, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Dollar General, Home Depot, Lowe’s...maybe they’ll all make similar commitments to American manufacturing? And maybe Americans will finally make it easy by demanding and buying more American made products. So far - that hasn’t happened. Maybe Walmart will break the logjam. Someone has to at least try, don’t you think?

    Seriously Sean, do you and all the other detractors really want to see this campaign fail because it’s coming from a retailer whose policies you don’t approve of? Do us all a favor - try to get over it. Try to get over your disappointment with me. Try to get over your disappointment with Walmart. Try to get past your issues with the messenger, and take another look at the message...

    A quarter trillion dollar commitment to American made products. 250,000 new jobs.

    Really - what’s not to like?

    Happy Sunday to you all...

    Mike

  3. #3
    CEO-Alcoholics Obvious Furbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Healdsburg, CA
    Posts
    33,650
    vCash
    3500
    Deepwater
    Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:11pm
    “God bless you, Mike Rowe! And now brace yourselves for the squealing from the libs who are constantly trashing Walmart.”
    Okay... who from LS2 tweeted Mike Rowe?

  4. #4
    5-star member Mannix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,296
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post


    At first I was thinking all those factory workers should be Chinamen. Then at the end I was pleasantly surprised.

    Look at the label on everything you buy. If is says "Madei n China", don't buy it. If you buy it anyway, then I hope you die.

  5. #5
    Banned Mintberrycrunch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    dfw!
    Posts
    12,668
    vCash
    25
    How many of these factories are owned by China and employee illegals? Just because its made here doesn't mean it made by American, and it helps America in any way. How about we tax the fuck out of car makers like they do ours when we send them over seas?

  6. #6
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!!
    Borla's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lunch...be afraid, be very afraid!
    Posts
    79,237
    vCash
    9320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    And Mike Rowe is taking a ton of flak for this commercial.




    From his facebook page. If you have facebook, check out his page.


    I had to chuckle at about the 8 sec mark. No fork truck sitting around to rot has that good of tread on the tires. 90% of the ones driving around in any factory at any time are bald.

  7. #7
    Banned Mintberrycrunch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    dfw!
    Posts
    12,668
    vCash
    25
    Also when was Walmart ever concerned about living conditions. Haven't they always had fun watching their store people squirm for money?

  8. #8
    5-star member Mannix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,296
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintberrycrunch View Post
    Also when was Walmart ever concerned about living conditions. Haven't they always had fun watching their store people squirm for money?
    Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer. Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.
    --Mike Rowe

  9. #9
    Banned Mintberrycrunch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    dfw!
    Posts
    12,668
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    --Mike Rowe[/I][/COLOR]

  10. #10
    Team Hobbit
    windhamjk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    69,728
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    194
    If you have issues with Mike Rowe because he is partnering with Wal mart that has pledged to spend a QUARTER OF A TRILLION dollars on American made goods then ummmm

  11. #11
    Ain't nobody chasin' me boy.
    Jack Daniels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    64,817
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by windhamjk View Post
    If you have issues with Mike Rowe because he is partnering with Wal mart that has pledged to spend a QUARTER OF A TRILLION dollars on American made goods then ummmm
    Pledged to spend an additional quarter of a trillion dollars on American made goods over the next 10 years.

  12. #12
    http://www.smoochapps.com sykal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    yorktown, ny
    Posts
    28,786
    vCash
    500
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: sykal84
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    At first I was thinking all those factory workers should be Chinamen. Then at the end I was pleasantly surprised.

    Look at the label on everything you buy. If is says "Madei n China", don't buy it. If you buy it anyway, then I hope you die.
    Who makes your phone? TV?
    Gimme a break.

  13. #13
    Banned Mintberrycrunch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    dfw!
    Posts
    12,668
    vCash
    25
    Get your own employees off welfare first then I will be impressed

  14. #14
    CEO-Alcoholics Obvious Furbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Healdsburg, CA
    Posts
    33,650
    vCash
    3500
    Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their stockholders and generate huge profits. Ultimately, the stockholders and the remaining Walton family calls the shots. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success; huge profits are one of the consequences of employees being subsidized by the taxpayer due to WalMart refusing to pay a living wage to the majority of it's employees.
    FIFY.

  15. #15
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintberrycrunch View Post
    Get your own employees off welfare first then I will be impressed
    Maybe those employees should live within their means?

  16. #16
    CEO-Alcoholics Obvious Furbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Healdsburg, CA
    Posts
    33,650
    vCash
    3500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Maybe those employees should live within their means?
    Yeah, that's the problem. Living the high life on welfare...
    I think that life's too short for this... I want back my ignorance and bliss.

    (oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

  17. #17
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbird View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem. Living the high life on welfare...
    Who said anything about living high life?

  18. #18
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Look at the label on everything you buy. If is says "Madei n China", don't buy it. If you buy it anyway, then I hope you die.
    So where was the computer made that you are typing your diatribe made?

  19. #19
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    I cannot believe people are actually bitching about Wal-Mart wanting to help it's home country.

  20. #20
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintberrycrunch View Post
    How many of these factories are owned by China and employee illegals? Just because its made here doesn't mean it made by American, and it helps America in any way. How about we tax the fuck out of car makers like they do ours when we send them over seas?
    This.

    Not to mention Walmarts MO is still to buy stuff from your factory, then slowly lower the price they pay you over time but now you are stuck at their mercy.
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  21. #21
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    So where was the computer made that you are typing your diatribe made?
    Most iMacs especially the big ones are now made in Detroit FWIW
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  22. #22
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    Pledged to spend an additional quarter of a trillion dollars on American made goods over the next 10 years.
    lets put it in perspective though. what is walmarts totals?

    not to mention i am sure one of the reason they are spending that much is because of added labour costs and increased transportation costs overseas. its getting LESS valuable to do manufacturing overseas.
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  23. #23
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    This.

    Not to mention Walmarts MO is still to buy stuff from your factory, then slowly lower the price they pay you over time but now you are stuck at their mercy.
    Maybe they should read the contracts before signing them? Nobody is forcing you do business with them.

  24. #24
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    lets put it in perspective though. what is walmarts totals?

    not to mention i am sure one of the reason they are spending that much is because of added labour costs and increased transportation costs overseas. its getting LESS valuable to do manufacturing overseas.
    Well of course, do you expect them to act as a charity?

  25. #25
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Well of course, do you expect them to act as a charity?
    Fine but don't act like they are doing something noble.
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  26. #26
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    Fine but don't act like they are doing something noble.
    Why when it works as good PR? I understand why you don't like it but no company would pass this up. Apple is doing something similar, granted it is on a much smaller scale.

  27. #27
    LS2.COM PREMIUM MEMBER Kobe Bryant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    HNIC@LS2.COM
    Posts
    47,096
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    50607
    i thought the commercials were cool and rowe is awesome.

  28. #28
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    This.

    Not to mention Walmarts MO is still to buy stuff from your factory, then slowly lower the price they pay you over time but now you are stuck at their mercy.
    Yep. This is what happened to Rubbermaid.

  29. #29
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Maybe they should read the contracts before signing them? Nobody is forcing you do business with them.
    Has nothing to do with contracts.

    They make a 500 million dollar order from XYZ industries for 100 million units of XYZ's product.

    XYZ industries has to shift manufacturing priorities to focus on Wal Mart's big order.

    The next order cycle comes around.

    Wal Mart wants the exact same order of 100 million units of product from XYZ (who has now lost other vendors because they had to focus on Wal Mart's order) but want it for 495 million dollars.

    Next order cycle, 100 million units for 480 million dollars.


    This is pretty much exactly what they did to Rubbermaid. Rubbermaid was in danger of going under as a result of these predatory practices from Wal Mart.

  30. #30
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant View Post
    i thought the commercials were cool and rowe is awesome.
    If you are ignorant as to how Wal Mart operates, it would definitely seem like a good thing for all concerned.

  31. #31
    Registered Member hellbound911's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Griffith, IN
    Posts
    14,755
    vCash
    3638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Has nothing to do with contracts.

    They make a 500 million dollar order from XYZ industries for 100 million units of XYZ's product.

    XYZ industries has to shift manufacturing priorities to focus on Wal Mart's big order.

    The next order cycle comes around.

    Wal Mart wants the exact same order of 100 million units of product from XYZ (who has now lost other vendors because they had to focus on Wal Mart's order) but want it for 495 million dollars.

    Next order cycle, 100 million units for 480 million dollars.


    This is pretty much exactly what they did to Rubbermaid. Rubbermaid was in danger of going under as a result of these predatory practices from Wal Mart.
    They did it to Buck knives and other smaller companies. Walmart's MO was to squeeze companies and then get them to where the company says they can't take less then say, yes you can if you get it made here they are willing to manufacture XYZ for ZYX price.

    I'm glad they are offering to buy that much from US companies and people need to get off Mike's backside about it. Anything to get manufacturing back to the US is a good thing.
    "An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today."

  32. #32
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!!
    Borla's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lunch...be afraid, be very afraid!
    Posts
    79,237
    vCash
    9320
    Anyone who complains about Walmart's horribleness and spends a dime there is kind of a hypocrite, no?

  33. #33
    http://www.smoochapps.com sykal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    yorktown, ny
    Posts
    28,786
    vCash
    500
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: sykal84
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    Most iMacs especially the big ones are now made in Detroit FWIW
    eh
    Apple is more of an Irish company than American (at least from a tax standpoint) anyway.

  34. #34
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Borla View Post
    Anyone who complains about Walmart's horribleness and spends a dime there is kind of a hypocrite, no?
    i don't shop there.
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  35. #35
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbound911 View Post
    They did it to Buck knives and other smaller companies. Walmart's MO was to squeeze companies and then get them to where the company says they can't take less then say, yes you can if you get it made here they are willing to manufacture XYZ for ZYX price.

    I'm glad they are offering to buy that much from US companies and people need to get off Mike's backside about it. Anything to get manufacturing back to the US is a good thing.

    and lets be fair here .... most of this happened before it was realized by most companies what they were doing.
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  36. #36
    Team Hobbit
    windhamjk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    69,728
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    194
    You guys are right. Wal Mart and any other company that pledges to stock American made goods is evil

  37. #37
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Borla View Post
    Anyone who complains about Walmart's horribleness and spends a dime there is kind of a hypocrite, no?
    I shop at Sam's mainly... I blame Costco and Target for ignoring this city.

  38. #38
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!!
    Borla's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lunch...be afraid, be very afraid!
    Posts
    79,237
    vCash
    9320
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    i don't shop there.
    I haven't bought a single thing at Walmart since about 2010. More because I hate the people who shop there and the whole mess that is a SuperWalmart than any type of political or social statement. But I'm guessing that most of the people decrying them in here have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars there in the last year or two.

  39. #39
    Registered Member Cerwin Vega Fan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,424
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Has nothing to do with contracts.

    They make a 500 million dollar order from XYZ industries for 100 million units of XYZ's product.

    XYZ industries has to shift manufacturing priorities to focus on Wal Mart's big order.

    The next order cycle comes around.

    Wal Mart wants the exact same order of 100 million units of product from XYZ (who has now lost other vendors because they had to focus on Wal Mart's order) but want it for 495 million dollars.

    Next order cycle, 100 million units for 480 million dollars.


    This is pretty much exactly what they did to Rubbermaid. Rubbermaid was in danger of going under as a result of these predatory practices from Wal Mart.
    This is actually new to me. The scam I always thought they known for was locking in long term contracts with razor thin margins. Later the cost of raw materials for whatever reason would go up and then said company was forced to produce and sell their products to Wal-Mart at a loss.

  40. #40
    Team Hobbit
    windhamjk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    69,728
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Borla View Post
    I haven't bought a single thing at Walmart since about 2010. More because I hate the people who shop there and the whole mess that is a SuperWalmart than any type of political or social statement. But I'm guessing that most of the people decrying them in here have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars there in the last year or two.
    Yep. 99% of the "Wal Mart is evil" still shop there. I hate going in there because the service is so horrible. It irritates the life out of me when you have 30 registers but only 3 open which equates to a 20 minute wait to check out.

    So I usually only go in there about 3 or 4 times a year but my wife is probaly in there 3 or 4 times a month.

  41. #41
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Borla View Post
    Anyone who complains about Walmart's horribleness and spends a dime there is kind of a hypocrite, no?
    That is the other side of the Wal Mart factor, in many small communities, they are the only place available for miles to buy groceries and other basic items.

  42. #42
    underdog 4 lyfe ill deuce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    atoka,tennessee
    Posts
    55,841
    vCash
    25
    in the last 2 years i've spent maybe $25 at walmart (only option at the time),fuck walmart.

  43. #43
    underdog 4 lyfe ill deuce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    atoka,tennessee
    Posts
    55,841
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Maybe those employees should live within their means?
    $7.45/hr
    1964 chevy II nova 355in.speed-pro 10.2's,weiand stealth,carter750,sportsmanII's,roller rockers,comp 292/244/.507,pertronix&msd,eagle rods,forged crank,main studs,sanderson headers,3in.glasspacks w/x-pipe,
    richmond T-10,hurst,centerforce,SFC's,lift bars,moser 12-bolt,pressed axle's

  44. #44
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    We had a Wal Mart open about a mile down the road from us.

    Since then, the other 2 groceries stores that were in same proximity have closed.

    The next closest place to buy groceries is a Super Target that is 8 miles away through heavy congestion on surface streets and freeway construction.

  45. #45
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Maybe those employees should live within their means?
    You do understand this remark makes you look like a damn fool, correct?

    The majority of Wal Mart employees are paid below the poverty line.

    Wal Mart employees constitute the largest segment of people currently drawing welfare benefits in the US.

  46. #46
    5-star member Mannix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,296
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    So where was the computer made that you are typing your diatribe made?
    I don't know. But I didn't pay for it.

    But I don't buy Chinese made products unless there are no other options and it's something I need.

    In August 2012, I came home from the store with some things I bought, and I happened to catch "Made in China" on one of the boxes. I was a little disappointed. Then I looked at all the other stuff I bought..."Made in China"..."Made in China"...etc.

    Then I started looking at some other things around the house: "Made in China"..."Made in China"..."Made in China"...etc. FUCK

    I wondered if there were alternatives. And in just about every case, there were.

    I decided that I would no longer buy Chinese-made products if I could help it.

    And before some dumb fuck calls me racist, race has nothing to do with it. It's about supporting the economy of the USA, keeping jobs here, or helping to bring them back here. And quality.

    I'm just one person. But maybe if enough people stopped buying Chinese-made products, then maybe production will come back to the USA. And even if it doesn't, at least my contribution to supporting China is as little as possible. And at least I'll have higher quality goods.
    Last edited by Mannix; 02-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.

  47. #47
    LS2.COM PREMIUM MEMBER Kobe Bryant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    HNIC@LS2.COM
    Posts
    47,096
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    50607
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    We had a Wal Mart open about a mile down the road from us.

    Since then, the other 2 groceries stores that were in same proximity have closed.
    I hate that shit. Walmart has ruined all smaller towns by basically forcing smaller stores out of business.

  48. #48
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    I'm sorry, I must be confused.

    You quite clearly stated if you buy something that says "Made in China" you are supposed to die...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    I don't know. But I didn't pay for it.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.... so if someone else buys it and gives it to you, it is okay if it was made in China. Got it.

    But I don't buy Chinese made products unless there are no other options and it's something I need.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh... so it is okay to sometimes buy something made in China.

  49. #49
    5-star member Mannix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,296
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    I'm sorry, I must be confused.
    Yes, you certainly are.

  50. #50
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Yes, you certainly are.
    You are the one saying everyone who pays anything made in China should die but then you turn around and say it is okay sometimes.

    I think you are the one who is confused about their unrealistic expectations and ultimatums.

  51. #51
    5-star member Mannix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,296
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    You are the one saying everyone who pays anything made in China should die but then you turn around and say it is okay sometimes.

    I think you are the one who is confused about their unrealistic expectations and ultimatums.
    Come on. I know you're smarter than that.

  52. #52
    LS2.COM PREMIUM MEMBER Kobe Bryant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    HNIC@LS2.COM
    Posts
    47,096
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    50607
    cage match between mannix and gwyd.

  53. #53
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Come on. I know you're smarter than that.
    I can only respond to what you post.

  54. #54
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant View Post
    cage match between mannix and gwyd.
    Mannix and I are far too intellectual for such low brow contests.

  55. #55
    LS2.COM PREMIUM MEMBER Kobe Bryant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    HNIC@LS2.COM
    Posts
    47,096
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    50607
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Mannix and I are far too intellectual for such low brow contests.
    mannix is my brah

  56. #56
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant View Post
    mannix is my brah
    Doubtful.

  57. #57
    LS2.COM PREMIUM MEMBER Kobe Bryant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    HNIC@LS2.COM
    Posts
    47,096
    Blog Entries
    1
    vCash
    50607
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Doubtful.

  58. #58
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by windhamjk View Post
    You guys are right. Wal Mart and any other company that pledges to stock American made goods is evil
    so by your logic i agree to walk to grandmas across the street i am awesome even though i've already bunched 10 down that trie to cross
    Former Cars -
    05 WRX
    99 NBM z28
    98 Black Trans Am Convertible

    "Sharon was a killer obsessed with hatred of Palestinians. I had promised Arafat that his people would not get any harm. Sharon, however, ignored this commitment entirely. Sharon's word is worth nil." - Ambassador Philip Habib President Ronald Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in 1982

  59. #59
    The Grapthog cometh. Gwydion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Treefort of Awesome.
    Posts
    99,716
    vCash
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by kasim View Post
    so by your logic i agree to walk to grandmas across the street i am awesome even though i've already bunched 10 down that trie to cross
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

    WAT?

  60. #60
    Smart A$$ Level 3 kasim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91,260
    vCash
    1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    This is actually new to me. The scam I always thought they known for was locking in long term contracts with razor thin margins. Later the cost of raw materials for whatever reason would go up and then said company was forced to produce and sell their products to Wal-Mart at a loss.
    well now you know

    no really what gwyd said is my understanding , and my grandpas understanding (he was EVP of Ranco)

    but no it was the squeeze they put on you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •