Thread: Help Needed, Cant decide whether to SC, or turbo...

Registered Newbie

vCash

Help Needed, Cant decide whether to SC, or turbo...

Hey guys im new to the forum, i joined to ask some questions about going forced induction in my 2006 M6 gto. other than bolt on, (cat-back,CAI) its stock, i want to get a small amount of boost whether turbo or SC'ed but dont want to really build up the motor, is this possible or can i not avoid building the engine, at the most i would purchase heads and a blower cam. whats the best setup that will require less building of the block?

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    Turbos and centrifugal superchargers build boost with rpm so they can be better for the rods. Roots and twin screw superchargers provide instant, constant boost at any rpm so they can put more stress on the rods at lower rpm. Since you stated you wanted to run low boost (i presume under 10psi) any of the above mentioned types of FI would be viable and wouldn't be much of a headache. As with any form of FI, the main component to making your motor live is the tune. Do not skimp on the tune. Find a reputable tuner and get it done right. There are guys running crazy amounts of boost on stock bottom ends but the tunes are spot on. The coin can be flipped were you can quickly blow a completely stock motor on 4# if it is not tuned correctly.
    2000 Silverado, RCSB, 2wd
    WRE 370 / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E
    11.21 @ 121

2001 Tahoe LT 4wd
    Bolt-on daily driver and tow vehicle.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    Gotcha. I live near a very reputable shop with a fantastic tuner, so the tune should be spot on. whats your opinion on APS and STS kits?

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    Depends on you goals for the car, your budget and installation ability.
    I like the APS design and low front mount placement of the turbos. This kit will have higher hp potential and will provide faster spool. However, kit will cost more and be more difficult to install.
    The STS kit is a simple and easy to install design that is more budget friendly but will not provide the quick spool at high hp levels. It will be fine for a cruiser that is looking for all out power. The biggest drawback to the STS kits it the reliability of the external oil pump.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    One last question, since you said blowers do more harm over time to the internals of the LS2, if i were to install crucial parts to ensure i could run a small TSV 1900 or the smaller Maggie supercharger with a moderate tune trying to get 500-550 Rwhp? which mods for the internals would you recommend first, what parts would wear out first. I really dont want to harm my LS2 and want it to still last a ways down the road, but absolutely love superchargers, they just go better with muscle cars IMO.

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey. I was simply saying the positive displacement superchargers make instant boost so they can build high cylinder pressure at low rpm. At the power level you are looking for, I think a TVS 1900 would be a great option for your GTO. Low boost (~8psi) with a cam, full exhaust and good tune would easily net you 500+ and be very reliable.

I'm looking at building a big boost application.
    Obviously all forged lower compression.
    My question is stock cubic inch or stroke?
    I hear both ways, what is better for the most power?

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    Depends on the type of forced induction and application. Do you want high rpm horsepower or low rpm torque? Daily driver, streetcar, all out race track only? To many variables for a canned 'this is better' answer.