Thread: GM oil standard GM6094M

Registered Member

vCash

GM oil standard GM6094M

I realize this isn't really the right place to ask this, but maybe someone will be in the know.

I have an 04 Z71 with the 5.3L. I'm about ready for my first oil change (1700 miles). In the manual it says to only use oil that has the starburst symbol, and also meets GM standard GM6094M, and failure to do so could cause engine damage not covered under warranty. Now I know this is BS but I have a 6 year 72k mile warranty, and I would like to comply with the warranty requirements, at least for now.

I've never heard of this standard, and after looking on the back of every bottle of oil at Wal Mart, I'm convinced there isn't one out there other with this spec on the bottle other than the GM goodwrench oil. Mobil 1 does list a GM standard, but it's a different one. And I don't want to go full synthetic yet anyway. So does anyone know -

- Is this a new standared from GM? My 99 LS1 doesn't list it as a requrement.
    - What is this standard?
    - Which oils meet this spec?
    - What will the dealer say if I develop an engine prob down the road and I pull out receipts for oil that don't meet this spec?

TIA.

vCash

Cool

I have an 04 Tahoe, and I am using Royal Purple 10W30, beats ANY GM oil standard. I would guess as long as the oil services "SL" you are o.k.

SteveC

moats & toes

vCash
    from http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index.../14007031.cfm:

Mobil Motor Oil 5W-30 is recommended for gasoline fueled automobiles and light duty trucks and some diesel fueled automobiles requiring an API SH or SG product. It meets ILSAC GF-1 (Starburst Certification Mark). It meets General Motors GM6094M, Ford ESE-M2C153-E, and General Services Administration A-A-52039 (formerly MIL-L46152E).
    I'm guessing that the GM6094M standard won't be printed on each and every oil bottle, so you'd need to contact an oil mfgr. and verify each one, since you want to "be sure" on your engine warranty. Enjoy your new truck. -Matthew

Registered Member

vCash
    Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Mobil and they said:

"You can switch over to Mobil1 synthetic motor oils right away in your
    vehicle. You can use any Exxon or Mobil 5W30 or 10W30 motor oils as it
    will meet GM 6094M standard."

Short and to the point I guess. I've also sent the same question to pennzoil and quaker state, through their web sights. Still waiting on a reply from both of them.

I'm just not certain if only synthetic oils meet this requirement, or if there are some conventional oils that will also. I was planning on putting a few miles on it before switching to synthetic. But if it came with synthetic from the factory, there wouldn't be much point in that. I just got a free oil change coupon from the dealer though, so that might buy me some time (and miles).