Thread: Why is cutting your springs bad?

vCash

Why is cutting your springs bad?

I searched and read all threads pertaining to it, but didn't exactly see why everyone thought it was so bad. I know that some ricers chop the hell out of theirs to have their cars ride an inch off the ground and other people do a bad job of it, but what is the big deal about doing a good job just taking off a bit of each one?

You guys talk about rough rides, but a friend of mine cut his springs and his rides just as well, if not better, than my car without them cut.

What is so bad about it?

moats & toes

vCash
    It's not bad, as long as the spring has adequate spring rate for the resultant ride height when you're done.

There are people who will heat a spring with a torch to make it "settle." That's not a kosher way of lowering your car.

Zipping the end off with a cutoff wheel or a torch is fine, just avoid heating the spring any more than necessary.

If, after cutting the spring rate is not enough to keep the car from hitting the bumpstops, that's a possible problem.

Spring rate is increased when cutting a spring, but it's going to be terribly difficult to get the rate so high as to affect ride negatively. I've heard claims of "it ruined the ride" from people who've cut springs and I think a lot of them ended up bottomg out / hitting bumpstops in their suspension.

So keep the "torch talk" straight. Cutting is okay, settling is not. Many persons will jump to the "cutting is bad" conclusion without having seen both sides of the argument. I've done Eibachs, I've done trimmed OEM springs, I've done trimmed Moog springs. All are valid methods as long as the spring rate is proper and the cutting and install are done right.

vCash
    Sounds good to me Jmd. Thanks for your help.

Call me a$$hole one more time MJSbossman's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: VirtuousHustler

vCash
    Originally posted by MJSbossman
    You keep your single-smiley responses to BnG you whore!

Did you cut your springs Mike?

Registered Member

vCash
    don't go cutting 2 coils off a stock spring as that will lower the car too much and bottom you out- i'd say 1/2 to 3/4 coil would be fine- some have cut a full coil off the front but that would be the max that i'd attempt