Thread: Thinking about putting a 150 shot on a Z06...

Buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrppppppp ppp Roger Z06's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Roger Z06 Vette

Thinking about putting a 150 shot on a Z06...

I am thinking about putting a 150 wet shot on my totally stock 03 Z06. I know the engine can take it and all and am not worried about it messing up after I put the NGK TR6's and full throttle switch and window switch.

I was wondering if there is anyone who runs nitrous on a stock car and if they can tell me how vital it is that I tune the car for the shot before letting it eat . I have heard a lot about people just changing the plugs and letting a ls1 or ls6 take the nitrous and they had no problem... I am just checking to see if anyone disagrees or has had a bad experience.

Thanks Roger.

Registered Member

vCash
    That is up to you. How much do you like your engine? I would not risk it If I were you. A full tune is under 500 bucks. A new engine, well over 500 bucks. Plus it would run better with the tune as well.
    99 SS Mac mids, 2.5 true duals, lid, free ram air, Sunami cam, AFR 205 heads, Patriot gold dual springs, ls6 oil pump, ls6 intake, spec III clutch, msd wires, tr6 plugs, 125 dry shot. S2. ASP U/D pulley. 4.10 gm gears. SQR tune

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Ok, from what I have heard a nitrous tune consist of but is not limited too adding fuel, more spark, pulling for me... 4* of timing and I believe that is it... Am I right?

Super Moderator

vCash
    Not necessarily more fuel, but a nitrous tune would involve being more conservative with the timing curves.

They make nitrous controllers that only pull timing while you're spraying. That way you don't hurt your N/A performance. Something like this would be the way I would go.

Do you have a shop locally that has a dyno with a wideband A/F?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Yes I do, so I am going to be looking at some methods to get it tuned... I have a friend with a computer program that will pull timing from my vette... also bump up the injector duty a little make more spark I was thinking that is really all I need.

I'm slow :nownana:

vCash
    I have a bone stock 04z06 and I spray a 150shot on it and have had no problems. I did zero tuning on the car and when I put it on the dyno air fuel did great without any lean spikes. I put a sticky tire on it at in over 4000DA ran a 6.93 at 99.49mph. I don't think you will need the computer tuning at all as long as you don't have any other mods at all but getting into putting anymore parts on it I would say that a tune would be necessary. I do run a wet kit also. Just put it on a dyno and watch the air fuel and see where it goes.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by maroonz28
    I have a bone stock 04z06 and I spray a 150shot on it and have had no problems. I did zero tuning on the car and when I put it on the dyno air fuel did great without any lean spikes. I put a sticky tire on it at in over 4000DA ran a 6.93 at 99.49mph. I don't think you will need the computer tuning at all as long as you don't have any other mods at all but getting into putting anymore parts on it I would say that a tune would be necessary. I do run a wet kit also. Just put it on a dyno and watch the air fuel and see where it goes.
    That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much maroonz28.

vCash
    you got your answer so don't be a wuss and hose that the hose down.