Thread: LS1 & LS2 24 tooth crank??? what years??

catch me if you can blt2outrunu's Avatar

vCash

LS1 & LS2 24 tooth crank??? what years??

I am trying to find out what years have the 24 tooth crank sensor and which have the 58 tooth. I am doing an LS1/ LS2, depending on what I can locate, conversion in a 06 Colorado Xtreme and it requires the use of 24 tooth crank sensor and an E40 controller to work the trucks existing harness and drive by wire? any help would be appreciated.

Marsupial

vCash
    All LS1's had 24x crank reluctor wheels.

As far as I know it was only LS2 engines made up until about Sept of 2005 that had 24x reluctor wheels.

I've seen it documented that all crate LS2's sold after 1st Jan 2006 were to have the new 58x reluctor.

Of course you will find 24x reluctor LS2's fitted to 2006 MY GTO's and other cars......but the actual manufacture dates of those LS2 engines will be 2005.

BTW it's not just the crank sensor that's different.
    2005 LS2's had a 24x reluctor ring installed on the crankshaft...this is what the crank sensor reads. They also had a 1x cam gear. Crank and Cam sensors were black.

2006+ LS2's had a 58x reluctor ring installed on the crankshaft. They had a 4x cam gear. Crank and Cam sensors were grey in most cases. 2007+ LS2's also changed to a single bolt cam core.

Let me know if you if you want pics of any of this stuff......I've got it all.

catch me if you can blt2outrunu's Avatar

vCash
    thanks, I really appreciate the info..This is the first GM product I have owned and I bought it with the intent to drop an LS2 in it..I am all about Mustangs, sorry. But this will be an intresting project thanks again

Marsupial

vCash
    I made a thread about putting an LS2 into an LS1 car.
    Here: http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=626014

It sounds more complex than it really is because there are so many possible combinations of parts these days.

I heard about a shop completing a 58x/4x LS2 (worst case) conversion into an LS1 car in 6 Hrs.