Thread: Effects of bad PCV valve?

vCash

Effects of bad PCV valve?

I've never changed the PCV valve on my car. I recently hit 70k miles, and have no reason to suspect theres anything wrong with it, but since theyre only $2.99 at AutoZone, I bought one.

What possible problems would indicate that I should do this? Will I notice any changes once I put the new one on?

Registered Member

vCash
    If the old one still rattles when shaken, it is still good. If that's the case, you wont notice any difference by swapping it out.

Top down, cutout open ! Bad30th's Avatar

vCash
    It's just a check valve to keep vacuum pressure on your crankcase. If the pressure flow reverses (pressure from intake directed back into the valve) the valve will close and prevent pressure from being pushed into the crank case. The idea is to keep a vacuum down there to eliminate blowby gases and crankcase pressure.

No performance increase to be had by replacing it. If it goes bad it will either not close like it should or will stay closed and not vent pressure from your crankcase - like stated above it should probably be replaced every couple of years, it's cheap.

Rattling when shaken isn't really a good test though, it may have a problem with staying open or closed. Just replace it if you have any doubt, can't go wrong for under $3.

JMHO,
    Bad30th
    30th Anniv. TransAm convertible #1120 A4
    W2W Callies forged 347ci LS6|ATI P1SC|WCCH 71cc CNC S2 LS1 heads|LS6 cam
    Continental 3400/3.73|NX MAF wet Nitrous

Magnaflow custom stainless exhaust

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bad30th

vCash
    Mine was stuck open a hair so i had oil in my throttle body. Now 2k miles after replacement and cleaning my throttle body no oil back there.

Registered Member

vCash
    Well I am new here but let me tell you about a bad PCV valve. I bought a 2000 silverado. Ran okay but I knew what I was getting into. It would not cold start/ run smooth/ and the TPS was all screwed up. Well I changed all that and the fuel pump. Still ran the same. Well to put it short the PCV was plugged solid. So now with out N2O I can run mid 11s.

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    Not to hijack your thread Constrictor... but wildchild.. You run mid 11's in a silvy without a poweradder? Go over to the truck section and post you setup if you would.
    2000 Silverado, RCSB, 2wd
    WRE 370 / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E
    11.21 @ 121

2001 Tahoe LT 4wd
    Bolt-on daily driver and tow vehicle.

FML

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: j_r_p
    i replaced mine @ 95k miles while doing a head swap, figured why not. the old one was still in good working order though.
    - Jerami

94 GT Laser Red m6

Attention Newbs

LS1 FAQ Induction and Exhaust Guide Cam Guide Magnaflow

line em up, load em tight texasthrottle's Avatar

vCash
    Originally posted by Bad30th
    It's just a check valve to keep vacuum pressure on your crankcase. If the pressure flow reverses (pressure from intake directed back into the valve) the valve will close and prevent pressure from being pushed into the crank case. The idea is to keep a vacuum down there to eliminate blowby gases and crankcase pressure.

No performance increase to be had by replacing it. If it goes bad it will either not close like it should or will stay closed and not vent pressure from your crankcase - like stated above it should probably be replaced every couple of years, it's cheap.

Rattling when shaken isn't really a good test though, it may have a problem with staying open or closed. Just replace it if you have any doubt, can't go wrong for under $3.

JMHO,
    Bad30th
    yep yep and yep. A bad one can leak through oil into the TB. And yeah at like 3 bucks just one of those things you do just cause.

I Love Corvettes!!

vCash
    I'm at 102k on my LT1 and I'm pretty sure it's still the original PCV too. I was going to change it until I noticed I need to remove the traction control unit in order to get at the valve. I don't think my car is suffering any ill effects from it. I honestly think that as long as you use a good oil and your engine is in good working order, you won't have a gummed up PCV.

1998 Black C5 coupe (3.15 A4)
    Best ET-12.81 at 109.4 mph

vCash
    I just changed mine on my LS1 with 111,000 miles on it. It was still on the original and I figured at a couple bucks I should put the new one in and see if it helps with any oil consumption.

The old one seemed fine, but I'm not real sure how to check if it was still good or not.