Thread: ls6 cam!

vCash

ls6 cam!

I got a second chance offer to buy a ls6 cam off a 02 vette on ebay for $175 low miles. If I buy it will go on a 2001 camaro ss. How much better is the zo6 cam than the 01 -02 camaros cam?

Is it pretty much bolt on? Are better valve springs and pushrods also needed. How about computer Diagnostics?

Not to fond about Ls1 internals so any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, is it a good deal?

vCash
    it will work but you will need ls6 valve springs and longer pushrods.

vCash

Re: ls6 cam!

Originally posted by cmaross01
    I got a second chance offer to buy a ls6 cam off a 02 vette on ebay for $175 low miles. If I buy it will go on a 2001 camaro ss. How much better is the zo6 cam than the 01 -02 camaros cam?

Is it pretty much bolt on? Are better valve springs and pushrods also needed. How about computer Diagnostics?

Not to fond about Ls1 internals so any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, is it a good deal?
    YOu need a ls6 springs or 918s.
    Harden pushrods are recommended, you will also need a gasket kit and a new crank bolt.

You can run on stock tuning but as with any modification that alters airflow in or out tuning is recommended to maximize power.

If you are going through the trouble of a cam swap, go bigger.
    99 Camaro SS / 54 Corvette / 84 ramcharger / 82 Gmc s15

The world is a vampire

vCash
    Originally posted by NviouSS
    it will work but you will need ls6 valve springs and longer pushrods.
    Longer pushrods with an Ls6 cam? Stock length 7.4" should be fine. Upgrading to hardened pushrods and new valvesprings would be smart.

Personally I would pass over the LS6 cam. It is a somewhat lengthy install, so when I do a cam I want something big enough from the start...at least a 224/224ish sized cam.

Mike Rowe for president Element's Avatar

vCash
    He's in Cali, so I assume it might be necessary to go with a small cam to pass emissions. However, I'd think a 224 114LSA with a good tune, or something like XTrooper's "Old Man" cam (not sure if he's still around to get the specs from) would also pass emissions.

Personally, I'd do like keliente said and go with the 224 cam. Also, unless you've got the majority of bolt-ons you can use in CA, I'd do those before tossing the cam in.
    1999 Trans Am, M6, Blue-Green Chameleon

http://community.webshots.com/user/outlawls1

Whisper lid, LS6 intake w/!EGR, Pacesetter LTs, Lane's 3" TDs, !cats, Textralia OZ700 w/aluminum flywheel, 4.10s, MAC girdle, Pro 5.0, Raptor shift light, Rapid street tune.

402 on the way

Checkmate does not approve of this signature.

Omming and Nomming

1 Highscore

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: O1z28
    Originally posted by Element
    He's in Cali, so I assume it might be necessary to go with a small cam to pass emissions. However, I'd think a 224 114LSA with a good tune, or something like XTrooper's "Old Man" cam (not sure if he's still around to get the specs from) would also pass emissions.

Personally, I'd do like keliente said and go with the 224 cam. Also, unless you've got the majority of bolt-ons you can use in CA, I'd do those before tossing the cam in.
    224 is tried and true around here to pass smog. You can go bigger but it really depends on the overlap of the cam how much of not quite sure.

Go bigger Hector go with the 224 camas others have said. You gonna install it yourself?

Registered Member

vCash
    Originally posted by keliente
    Longer pushrods with an Ls6 cam? Stock length 7.4" should be fine. Upgrading to hardened pushrods and new valvesprings would be smart.

Personally I would pass over the LS6 cam. It is a somewhat lengthy install, so when I do a cam I want something big enough from the start...at least a 224/224ish sized cam.
    I thought the ls6 cams had a smaller base circle and the ls6 engines made up for it with longer valves.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    they do, but if you use the stock 7.4" pushrods you only lose (if my memory is correct) .012 of preload. pretty negligable. So for ease of install and price of parts the 7.4" are fine.

vCash
    I have slp lid and bellows, slp thermo fan, with 160 stat, accompanied with engine oil cooler and cheap hypertech programmer. Oh last but not least FLOWMASTER cat back which most criticize and tb bypass.

The reason I wanted to go with the ls6 was mainly due to emissions, as some of you have stated. In hopes that it would also be a easy bolt on, without taking the heads off to upgrade the valve train.

vCash
    Hoping that I would get an easy 20 horses without any tuning or valve upgrade with the 175. You guys are probably right though, I will have to get smogged this year in June. When I pass I will go with a heavier cam, headers who's tubes are so long, with offroad y pipe, and all kinds of illegal shit.
    Last edited by cmaross01; 01-15-2007 at 03:53 AM.

vCash
    I was planning on doing the install myself, with the haynes manual

Omming and Nomming

1 Highscore

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: O1z28
    Originally posted by cmaross01

The reason I wanted to go with the ls6 was mainly due to emissions, as some of you have stated. In hopes that it would also be a easy bolt on, without taking the heads off to upgrade the valve train.
    no need to remove the heads to upgrade the valve train. I've done and helped in about 5 cam installs and could help out as well as some in the cali section.

but honestly you can go bigger, make more power and pass smog with a better cam

The Battery King of South Georgia SIK02SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIK02SS
    Originally posted by 01z28
    no need to remove the heads to upgrade the valve train. I've done and helped in about 5 cam installs and could help out as well as some in the cali section.

but honestly you can go bigger, make more power and pass smog with a better cam
    +2

you can piclup a used TR224 for close to that price too

i think even the LS1 hotcam will give you more HP and pass emssions...and thats cheap used as well

vCash
    thanks for the help guys, Hector out!

Registered Member

vCash
    4 words for you buddy,

Thunder Racing CheaTR Cam

thats what I got and I love it!