Thread: fluctuating oil pressure???

Registered Member

vCash

fluctuating oil pressure???

so i just installed my tr230 cam and patriot dual springs the other night. i did take the oil pump off to change the timing chain, but when i put it back on, i was very careful installing the o-ring on the pickup tube so as not to pinch it. so i started it, watched the oil pressure, let it idle for a few. everything looked fine. oil pressure was right at about 40 psi at idle. started it again later, let it idle for a few, then shut it off. once again, everything looked fine. oil pressure was still at 40 psi at idle. so today, i took it out for a test drive. oil pressure looked great. oil pressure would rise to around 50-60 as the rpms rose, which is normal. so im out driving for 10-15 minutes. i stopped at a light and noticed the oil pressure dropping to around 25-30 psi at idle. as the rpms rose, oil pressure would rise as usual, but since its now idling at 25-30 psi, it only rose to maybe 40-45 psi under load. keep in mind, the car is still untuned, and i am getting some low rpm cam surge, which is also normal for a good size cam. i started it back up in the driveway later, and revved it pretty good a few times. oil pressure looked fine again....idling at around 40 psi.
    my car is an 02 ss with only 40k miles on it, and this is the first time the seals on the motor have been broken. the guy i bought it from kept the internals stock. am i being paranoid or does it sound like something may be wrong? i cant imagine any bottom end issues going on with only 40k miles on the car. oh by the way, mobil 1 synthetic has been run for the life of the car...but for the cam/spring break-in, i put regular 10w-30 in it. so right now its running on regular oil. any ideas?

Registered Member

vCash
    nevermind fellas, everything is fine. i was just freakin a lil. it only drops to 25-30 psi when its really hot...like at a stop light in bad heat. most of the time it stays around 40 psi at idle. plus im running regular oil for the break in, then i will switch back to mobil 1 synthetic, so that should bump it back up a little.

vCash
    Maybe since it is not tuned yet it is idling slower than normal and that is why the pressure is a little lower.