Thread: 4L60E, every gear acts like neutral??

Registered Member

vCash

Question 4L60E, every gear acts like neutral??

Driving down the highway last night, about 65, cruising at a steady speed the RPMs shoot up like the transmission is in neutral so I let off the gas. I look at the shifter and it is still in drive. I lightly get on the throttle to see if it'll catch. Nothing. I exit and pull over to find out there is no pull in any gear whatsoever. No reverse, no drive, 1, 2, 3. The engine doesn't even bog under load when shifting between the gears from park. No noise, fluid level and condition is normal. I checked to make sure the shifter linkage is connected. Everything on the outside of the trans looks normal, no leaks either.

Park still locks up the rear tires, every other gear acts like neutral. Engine runs as usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

eh......

vCash
    I want to say something came unplugged or a wire got snipped by a rock or something. IT's really unlikely that all the gears just went out at once.

I would assume that the ECU doesn't know it's in gear, that's why nothing works. Check all the sensors and wires well.

Registered Member

vCash
    i had that problem happen to me, check if the drive shaft is spinning when its in gear, if it isnt then your torque converter blew. if it is spinning then it could be your rear end.

Registered Member

vCash
    You called it, it was a converter issue.

Weird thing is that this is the first time I've had a converter take a dump without making any noise what so ever.

eh......

vCash
    Originally posted by SML350
    You called it, it was a converter issue.

Weird thing is that this is the first time I've had a converter take a dump without making any noise what so ever.
    I am glad that it was that instead of something expensive. Like the tranny.