Thread: EBC Dimpled Slotted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads Install and Pics

J$ + M$ + W$ + B$ = The $'s

vCash

Post EBC Dimpled Slotted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads Install and Pics

Well this weekend we installed some EBC Dimpled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads on my Firehawk. I got 53,000 miles on my stock rotors and pads before squeeking and alot of warpage drove me crazy...so I finally replaced them. I also replaced all my fluid with ATE Super Blue DOT 4.

Disclaimer: I know that dimpled and slotted rotors will not improve braking, I do not look at these rotors as a performance upgrade. I also know that rotors that were drilled AFTER being cast will spider crack under heat.

Because of this, I look at these rotors as an appearance mod. I don't road race and right now my car is a daily driver, so I just wanted something a little better than stock and that looked I also didn't want them to spider crack at the drilled holes...so that is why I went with the dimpled and slotted rotors from EBC. Should perform (read: last) a little better than stock and they look great.

I went with Hawk HPS pads because I hear they are not too agressive and dust very little.

Part numbers
    Front Rotors: GD7005LR
    Rear Rotors: GD7006LR
    Front Pads: HB249F575
    Rear Pads: HB250F653

Anyway, ONTO THE PICS

Front and rear EBC rotors (they come black zinc coated, but the black wears off almost immediately but so far the dimples and slots are still black)

Front rotor:

Dusty front rotor:

The material thickness is not much more than stock:

Installed prior to any braking (still black)

After pad brake-in:

I installed the wheels covering the slots, (I'll probably rotate them a stud or two when I get some time). Here is a little better pic of the slots:

Pad break in from Hawk:
    6-10 moderate pressure stops from 30-35 mph
    2-3 hard pressure stops from 40-45 mph

Everything feels really good and of course they feel better than my worn/warped previous setup. I am very happy with everything.

Cost me $577 for rotors and pads at all 4 corners shipped to my house from 2 non-sponsor websites.

Special thanks to all the guys that helped out from LS2:

Gonzo (gmendzo)
    Chris #1 (Trojan FRC)
    Chris #27 (SIK02SS)
    Carlos (Carlos01SS)
    Keith (Kman)

It was nice having all your cars at my place Neighbors were probably thinking we were having a car show or something
    2002 Black Trans Am Firehawk M6 #1335
    1 of 318
    390rwhp / 370rwtq

Mods: VRX4 Cam, TEA Dual Springs, SVO Injectors, Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73's, Kooks LT w/ catted Y, SLP DD, TSP Smoked Lid, WS.6 Lower Airbox, !Baffles and sealed to airbox, Ported TB, BMR Bolt-on Relo Brackets, Red CETA Filler Panel, SLP Bellow, SLP Bolt-on SFC's, BMR STB, LSS, DEI 530T Auto Up/Down, !AIR, !CAGS

vCash
    Looks good. What size rotors?

E
    2014 C7 Victory Red Convertible, 3LT, Z51

vCash
    Originally posted by eboggs_jkvl
    Looks good. What size rotors?

E
    Just stock size replacements.

vCash
    Look Nice Jon.
    let me know how they do in the mountain twisties where your stockers were starting to fad on you.
    01 Trans Am WS6, M6 ASC# 3201
    All options - T/C, Ebony and Camel interior
    PERFORMANCE MODS: 420.5 HP 394.2 TQ 12.25 @117.36 60" = 2.060
    TSP 228R, PRC 5.3 RHs, QTP's with catted Y, Asp, HS Rockers, Jantzer TB, !Baffles+sealed airbox,Factory Hurst w/LSS, Magnaflow Catback, Direct-flo lid, Holley Pwrshot, 160 Deg Therm, NGK TR55IX plugs, Raptor shift light, HPT Tuned.

SUSPENSION/DRIVETRAIN MODS:
    Strange 12 Bolt 3.73 with LPW Cover, BMR LCA's PHR , TQ arm STB & SFC's,Polished ZR1's with Nitto 555 Extremes on frt 315 Dr's on the back
    COSMETIC MODS:
    Black 30th Annv stripes, Black Nose Bird, Black over/inlays, 5% tint all around, Cyberlight Fogs.
    PICS

vCash
    Originally posted by killer01ws6
    Look Nice Jon.
    let me know how they do in the mountain twisties where your stockers were starting to fad on you.
    Sure will Pete. One of the big improvements I think is going to be the DOT 4 fluid. When I was canyon carving one day in 115 degree weather...my fluid was DEFINATELY boiling on the decent side

But don't forget Pete...you should use your brakes much in the twisties. 6 speed > *.*

Registered Member

vCash
    Hawks give out a ton of dust...I am going back to stock pads...ruined my rims....I suggest really waxing your rims a lot and staying on top of them or they will be beat down in six months. I hate them...stock pads give off the least amount of dust. Cost me $115 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com.

Just my two cents....I thought hawk pads would be great (same ones), but my ZR1 rims looked brown all the time from so much break dust. Good luck.

They look sweet!

Rich
    '99 Black Z28 M6

Sneak Mods:
    NX remote opener
    GM 4.10 gears

Power:
    323rwhp/327rwtq NA
    432rwhp/505rwtq NX wet 150 shot

vCash
    Originally posted by Z28er
    Hawks give out a ton of dust...I am going back to stock pads...ruined my rims....I suggest really waxing your rims a lot and staying on top of them or they will be beat down in six months. I hate them...stock pads give off the least amount of dust. Cost me $115 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com.

Just my two cents....I thought hawk pads would be great (same ones), but my ZR1 rims looked brown all the time from so much break dust. Good luck.

They look sweet!

Rich
    You are the first person I have heard say they dust alot I wash my car once a week, so my rims are always clean, but I'll definately keep an eye on them.

Registered Member

vCash
    They are pretty bad, but if you do the rims once a week you will be fine....I use to do that but am to lazy now!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: thunder0880 PSN ID: thunderO880
    nice setup, hawks have always been my favs.

Registered Member

vCash

Goodyears

Skytower,
    Different subject, how do you like the goodyears. I had a set and my car seemed to be real twitchy with them. Have you noticed the same thing. I am not sure if that was from the tires or from the toe-in setting being too aggressive. Brakes look great.
    Bright Red/Ebony 2002 TA WS6, 6 Speed, TC & Hurst.
    Build # 2628.
    Build date Aug 28, 2001.
    Purchased 9/13/01.

Free !CAGS, 35/20/20 Tint, Free One Touch Unlock of Both Doors, MTI Clear Lid, Holley Powershot Filter, Redhawk Single Rib Bellows, Rear Hatch Spring Fix (3/4" x 2-5/8" x 0.105"), Design Tech 50W Halogen Back Up Lights, GY Eagle F1 GS-3D 285/40/17, 3 Layers of Dirt.

My Pictures

Registered Member

vCash
    So how are the rotors doing?
    I need to replace the 02s rotors/pads. The warpage is starting to annoy me

Nice replacements

vCash
    I ordered a set of slotted and drilled rotors as well. I have them in and I cant wait to get them on...

vCash
    Damn nice setup!

vCash
    I have had mine on for about 3 years and I love them. Nice upgrade on the look.