Results 1 to 50 of 50

Thread: Ordered our LM7 and 4L60E for the Chevelle.

  1. #1
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200

    Ordered our LM7 and 4L60E for the Chevelle.

    The wrecking yard called me and told me that one of their other yards had a 2004 Tahoe with 140k miles on it. I requested a complete engine/transmission drop out package with all accessories. They said it may be here as early as Friday. I think the motor mounts may be here by then too so we can swap the oil pan and drop everything right in as soon as we get it home.

    From Wiki: The 2004-2007 engines made 295 hp and 335 lb·ft of torque.

  2. #2
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Mind if I ask how much that goes for up there?

  3. #3
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Apparently I got it cheaper than they would normally let it go for because they usually charge a core charge but I told them I have no core. I paid $1645 for the whole package. That includes the starter, alternator, water pump, brackets, exhaust manifolds, crossover pipe, harness, PCM, throttle pedal (if it's drive by wire), etc.

  4. #4
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    93,911
    vCash
    6525

  5. #5
    Registered Member 02black's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    42,048
    vCash
    500
    you gonna rebuild it or how does using a junkyard tranny for something like this work

  6. #6
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 02black View Post
    you gonna rebuild it or how does using a junkyard tranny for something like this work
    We'll drop it straight in and run it as is for now. Since my son is 17 now we're running out of time to get this thing on the road before he turns 18. We'll throw some fresh fluid and filters on it. I am not sure if the hood will clear the intake manifold so if we run into clearance issues we'll find an LS1 or LS6 intake for it. Since the package came out of a running and driving vehicle it will hopefully be solid for us. I'm sure we will probably check the bearings at minimum when we're swapping oil pans.

  7. #7
    this is our year :hs: silverSS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    26,247
    vCash
    0
    Doesn't seem like a terrible price for a complete engine.

  8. #8
    Registered Member Nemesis519's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cumming, Ga
    Posts
    7,639
    vCash
    1525
    Spend the 30 bucks to throw a Corvette Servo in the trans while it's out of the car.

  9. #9
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis519 View Post
    Spend the 30 bucks to throw a Corvette Servo in the trans while it's out of the car.
    Tell me more about this Corvette servo.

  10. #10
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    My truck has the identical power train. You'll probably need a new tailshaft for the trans if it was a 4wd Tahoe. Also, do yourself a favor and get HPtuners. Take out at least half of the torque management through the trans. It's egregious.

  11. #11
    :flirt: SwollHottie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    TEXASS
    Posts
    188,963
    vCash
    2025
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    My truck has the identical power train. You'll probably need a new tailshaft for the trans if it was a 4wd Tahoe. Also, do yourself a favor and get HPtuners. Take out at least half of the torque management through the trans. It's egregious.
    And put decent headers and a new cam in it, gain like 75hp.

  12. #12
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    And put decent headers and a new cam in it, gain like 75hp.
    Last edited by 70Chevelle; 10-18-2017 at 08:45 PM.

  13. #13
    Slowest SS in Dee F Dubya JUSTINASS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    11,734
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    beat me to it...
    im going to screen shot and add to the LS2 pet peeve thread...

  14. #14
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    93,911
    vCash
    6525
    Texas Speed is currently having a cam sale

  15. #15
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Mods will have to wait until after it's back on the road. I still need either the fuel tank or just an electric pump, radiator and fans, battery, driveline modified, tires, brakes, suspension, headers (I'm not expecting to be able to use the stock manifolds), exhaust.... The list goes on and on.

  16. #16
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Mods will have to wait until after it's back on the road. I still need either the fuel tank or just an electric pump, radiator and fans, battery, driveline modified, tires, brakes, suspension, headers (I'm not expecting to be able to use the stock manifolds), exhaust.... The list goes on and on.
    You likely wont be able to use the stock truck manifolds, but do some research, the 5th gen Camaro and G8 manifolds are fairly versatile. I bought cheap Speed Engineering headers for my truck, but if I had to do it again I probably would have gone with the hooker style manifolds(A few companies sell a white box version thats the same manifold but doesnt say Hooker on it).

    Also, do a proper in take pump setup, so much quieter and more reliable than in-line pumps.

  17. #17
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    You likely wont be able to use the stock truck manifolds, but do some research, the 5th gen Camaro and G8 manifolds are fairly versatile. I bought cheap Speed Engineering headers for my truck, but if I had to do it again I probably would have gone with the hooker style manifolds(A few companies sell a white box version thats the same manifold but doesnt say Hooker on it).

    Also, do a proper in take pump setup, so much quieter and more reliable than in-line pumps.
    That's ideally my goal on both fronts. We ran new hard brake and fuel lines (including the addition of a return line) when we did the body mount bushings so we're ready. I had not heard of these other headers.

  18. #18
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    That's ideally my goal on both fronts. We ran new hard brake and fuel lines (including the addition of a return line) when we did the body mount bushings so we're ready. I had not heard of these other headers.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/262353007991?chn=ps&dispItem=1

    Everything I have seen it is agreed that they are white box Hooker manifolds

  19. #19
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    I thought you meant headers. This is the direction I'll go if possible.

    https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../70101319-RHKR

  20. #20
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    F that, you can make way more power for the extra $750 those things cost...
    Last edited by 70Chevelle; 10-19-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: F U Anthony

  21. #21
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Wrecking yard called. That engine block and/or intake were messed up. Instead they are giving us an LM7 and 4L60E from a 2wd 2003 Escalade that only has 70k miles on it. 10hp and 10 lbft tq less for half the miles. Fair trade I think.

  22. #22
    underdog 4 lyfe ill deuce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    atoka,tennessee
    Posts
    63,473
    vCash
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    Texas Speed is currently having a cam sale
    a stock ls3 cam is around a 40hp gain on the barely cammed 5.3s.

  23. #23
    IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    20,165
    vCash
    1300
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by ill deuce View Post
    a stock ls3 cam is around a 40hp gain on the barely cammed 5.3s.
    I’d rather buy a Gen 3 cam than have to deal with all the conversion shit just to ultimately still be running a stock cam

  24. #24
    In The Upside Down Gearhead SS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    38,190
    vCash
    25
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Gearhead SS PSN ID: MorphWS6 XFIRE ID: MorphWS6


    I wanna do an LS7 or LSA swap into the Chevelle so bad. Keep us posted on the progress!

  25. #25
    I look reasonable, but I'm not. No F-bdy Bs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Next door. My folks live next door
    Posts
    23,271
    vCash
    2246
    Main reason I am considering a new GM with the 6.0 (3/4 ton, obviously)

    15yrs from now, when the engine has 300,000 on it, and the VERY unlikely chance it needs replaced, I can have a running replacement in there for under a grand.

    Try that with an Ecoboost, 5.0,Hemi,ect.
    Replacing/rebuilding the engine in any of those will cost 2x what the entire vehicle is worth.
    Last edited by No F-bdy Bs; 10-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.

  26. #26
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    tulsa, ok
    Posts
    102
    vCash
    800
    you can pick up a gas tank out of 95 impala ss or cadillac version for cheap from a salvage and they fit with very minimal mods. grab a racetronix fuel pump and you are set.

  27. #27
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    I got a voicemail a little bit ago letting me know the engine/transmission came in. Now I have to arrange for a cherry picker (engine hoist) to get it out of the bed of the GMC after I pick it up. My son's friend is supposed to bring one by tomorrow so we'll see if he's able to make that happen. The dipstick, dipstick tube, windage tray, and oil pan gasket should all be here tomorrow as well.

    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to be moving forward on this project.

  28. #28
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    The 8 month old radiator in the wife's Accord decided to die soooo I had to go swap vehicles with her so I could nurse the Honda home and figure out the source of the leak. She won't be home in time for me to go pick up the engine/trans. I guess tomorrow she may be taking the Corvette to work so I can use my damn truck.

  29. #29
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    The 8 month old radiator in the wife's Accord decided to die soooo I had to go swap vehicles with her so I could nurse the Honda home and figure out the source of the leak. She won't be home in time for me to go pick up the engine/trans. I guess tomorrow she may be taking the Corvette to work so I can use my damn truck.
    Why are you helping her with that?

  30. #30
    Member of the 12th man deej-79's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    14,126
    vCash
    2387
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Why are you helping her with that?
    Wife, not ex wife

  31. #31
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by deej-79 View Post
    Wife, not ex wife
    This.

  32. #32
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    Quote Originally Posted by deej-79 View Post
    Wife, not ex wife
    My bad, I read it as ex-wife.

  33. #33
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    dupe
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 10-27-2017 at 02:57 PM.

  34. #34
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    It has arrived!


  35. #35
    Registered Member beeler422's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The hills outside Terlingua
    Posts
    10,858
    vCash
    25


    I've got several parts I'd let go for cheap if you're interested. Fast intake, cam, etc.

  36. #36
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by beeler422 View Post


    I've got several parts I'd let go for cheap if you're interested. Fast intake, cam, etc.
    Thanks, that's tempting. I have to focus on getting this thing on the road before I start adding go fast goodies.

  37. #37
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Okay, I'm pretty proud of this little bit of uh....ingenuity? 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts. I don't own a torch, stud extractor, welder, etc so I was trying to get creative without running to the store. It worked!




  38. #38
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    93,911
    vCash
    6525
    Quote Originally Posted by beeler422 View Post


    I've got several parts I'd let go for cheap if you're interested. Fast intake, cam, etc.
    o rly?

  39. #39
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Engine and transmission are in!


  40. #40
    Member of the 12th man deej-79's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    14,126
    vCash
    2387
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Okay, I'm pretty proud of this little bit of uh....ingenuity? 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts. I don't own a torch, stud extractor, welder, etc so I was trying to get creative without running to the store. It worked!



    I don't know whether to applaud or

  41. #41
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    I'm guessing you're just mocking things up for now?

  42. #42
    Registered Member Speedfreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    18,675
    vCash
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    Engine and transmission are in!

    this guy gets it.

  43. #43
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    I love all of the Holley swap stuff so far. That being said, Chevrolet did NOT make it easy to get the nuts on the back of the motor mount bolts in the crossmember.

  44. #44
    something clever here Chris R's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    *new* friendly Manitoba
    Posts
    8,310
    vCash
    3663
    tape up the heads...

  45. #45
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    The intake is sitting back on there for now. As messy as the area surrounding those ports was I will probably pull the heads just to be safe. Plus I want to put some new valve guide seals in just for good measure.
    Last edited by Potent68; 10-30-2017 at 12:00 PM.

  46. #46
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I'm guessing you're just mocking things up for now?

  47. #47
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I'm not sure what you are playing at. Please extrapolate on the nature of your inquiry. The engine, transmission, and cross member are all bolted solidly into place, hopefully to stay until after we have driven the car. Why do you ask?

  48. #48
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are playing at. Please extrapolate on the nature of your inquiry. The engine, transmission, and cross member are all bolted solidly into place, hopefully to stay until after we have driven the car. Why do you ask?
    Well, the frame, body and suspension look pretty ugly and original. I didnt know if you were just making sure everything fits well, and then were going to pull the motor back out so you could clean up the subframe, do bodywork, and go through the suspension for a restoration.

  49. #49
    Registered Member Potent68's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    24,188
    vCash
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Well, the frame, body and suspension look pretty ugly and original. I didnt know if you were just making sure everything fits well, and then were going to pull the motor back out so you could clean up the subframe, do bodywork, and go through the suspension for a restoration.
    Nope. While convenient to do with it all torn down, and that was the original intention, I can't dedicate the time or money to that.

    We installed new body mount bushings and hard brake and fuel lines (adding a return line). We will go replace the the brakes with 1969 disc/drum brakes for now. ('68 had expensive 4 piston calipers.) We will go through and freshen up the suspension with new bushings, tall upper ball joints to help fix the stock suspension geometry, and new springs/shocks.

    Essentially he will have a mechanically sound foundation that he can choose what he wants to do with after that. She won't be the prettiest girl at the ball but she will be mechanically solid and hopefully be full of great memories.

  50. #50
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,779
    vCash
    2373
    Gotcha. Glad you're going through the mechanicals now though, you can always make it pretty later on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •